Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've been sleeping on actually posting about the movies I've been watching.

Videodrome - I rewatch this every few years because I'm a huge Cronenberg fan. I somehow never noticed how much the Barry Convex looks like a young Jim Bakker. James Woods is always great when he's playing a sleazy rear end in a top hat character. The special effects are all hold up great. I've always been a fan of surreal imagery and a dreamlike atmosphere in horror. I think it's funny how this movie is partially inspired by Cronenberg as a child thinking he was going to see something super hosed up watching television broadcasts from Buffalo NY in the middle of the night. My introduction to Cronenberg is literally the exact opposite. I grew up in Buffalo and caught Scanners for the first time as a late night movie broadcast coming from a Toronto station.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space - I happened to catch a TV broadcast of my own pick while hanging out with my dad last weekend. This movie was made as a tribute to cheesy 50's monster movies and really embraces being incredibly corny. The special effects are far better than they have any right to be for how little money they had to work with. The Chiodo Brothers basically got all their friends to work for free and they knew a lot of special effects people. The clowns are really endearingly ugly. The kills are a lot of fun. The matte work they did looked amazing:

Suspiria - Another one of my favorite movies. I think this and the remake are both amazing in their own ways. I love the soundtrack. Especially the heavy breathing and speaking in tongues layered over the music. The use of color is amazing. Udo Kier is always great even if he's barely in it. I always get a laugh at the inexplicable attic room full of razor wire.

Phantasm - Another great moody atmospheric horror movie. A man sets out to make a horror movie based on a bad dream he had without bothering to learn the rules of how horror movies are usually made. The amateurishness of the production really helps make it so unique. I'm always up for a synth heavy movie soundtrack.

Prince of Darkness - I rewatched In the Mouth of Madness first because I felt this movie covered many of the same themes better. The acting from the grad students is kind of weak, but Donald Pleasence and Victor Wong absolutely steal the show as a priest and a scientist having a discussion on the nature of evil while Satan is actively trying to bring about the apocalypse around them. Another amazing synth soundtrack. The dream sequence is great. Alice Cooper brought his own special effects with him for his cameo.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Outside of Hopkins and Oldman, the acting was pretty weak in the movie. The set design and costumes are out of this world though. I was especially impressed by Francis Ford Coppola's decision to only use practical effects and camera tricks that would have been available in the 30's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok rolled phantasm for today, lets go

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

phantasm is fuckin out there man, liked it a lot. cool symbolism, really good score, th tall man/lady is a neat villain, its cool that i have no fuckin idea whats actually happening or why. good spooky horror. pairs nicely with suspiria too, it kind of feels like an italian job without actually bein from italy. good poo poo starb

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Suspiria

literally yelled out WOAH! at the very first death. beautiful to both look and listen to

Jenny Agutter posted:

first movie of the month down: Suspiria (1977), watching it for the second time. one of the best vibes movies ever, every scene has a different and distinct color palette, gorgeous shot composition and of course the sets are incredible. not to mention one of the greatest scores put to film. the plot is nothing but who cares.

i'd alsol recommend the 2018 suspiria, its not a classic like the original but i liked it a lot and if you're a Swinton-head it's a must watch

i like the mention of vibes it really feels for much of the movie that the "villain" is bad vibes lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
rolled the dice on all these movies but videodrome and a certain other one that i shall watch later :rolldice:

landed on bram stokers dracula

lmao wtf is this movie. i clearly dont know as much ab coppola as i thought i did, cause i wasnt expecting this to go full campycore. it kind of pwns

its not scary at all, but its p epic. lots of cool effects and shots. the plot is messy but u just kinda go w/ it.

gary oldman and anthony hopkins are insanely good in this. winona ryder is alright. look, i like keanu reeves, but he sucks rear end here lmao. idk if he was just having a bad time or if he was misdirected or miscast or what, but his acting is the most horrifying part of this movie

favorite line: "an autopsy? no, no, not exactly. i just want to cut off her head and take out her heart". the delivery cracked me tf up

scary score: 1/5
score: 3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

rolled the dice on all these movies but videodrome and a certain other one that i shall watch later :rolldice:

lmao wtf is this movie. i clearly dont know as much ab coppola as i thought i did, cause i wasnt expecting this to go full campycore. it kind of pwns

its not scary at all, but its p epic. lots of cool effects and shots. the plot is messy but u just kinda go w/ it.

gary oldman and anthony hopkins are insanely good in this. winona ryder is alright. look, i like keanu reeves, but he sucks rear end here lmao. idk if he was just having a bad time or if he was misdirected or miscast or what, but his acting is the most horrifying part of this movie

favorite line: "an autopsy? no, no, not exactly. i just want to cut off her head and take out her heart". the delivery cracked me tf up

every single effect aside from like two are done in camera btw. dummies, models, matte paintings, th works

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

herculon posted:

Kicked off Rocktober with Phantom of the Paradise. Been on my ‘to watch’ list for a long time and saw it on Criterion. Not too bad. Songs are ok, and the stage performances are pretty impressive.

Lol just noticed this is on the list

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i tell this story a lot but theres a shot early on where keanu's narrating his diary with the train in top of frame and coppola wanted th shadow of the train goin across the diary at sunset, so to make it look good wth the model of the train they had to write out the diary, block out the pages that are visible, and remake em in a diary the size of a ping pong table to set it right under the model and lights. absolutely godlike poo poo

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

every single effect aside from like two are done in camera btw. dummies, models, matte paintings, th works

how did they do this?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fungah! posted:

i tell this story a lot but theres a shot early on where keanu's narrating his diary with the train in top of frame and coppola wanted th shadow of the train goin across the diary at sunset, so to make it look good wth the model of the train they had to write out the diary, block out the pages that are visible, and remake em in a diary the size of a ping pong table to set it right under the model and lights. absolutely godlike poo poo

thats so epic. we never get stories like these anymore. now its just "a computer did it"

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

how did they do this?

the re:view of the movie touches on some of it but theres a lot in this iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxz8z6Po-eo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

thats so epic. we never get stories like these anymore. now its just "a computer did it"

the other one i remember is that shot where draculas wife throws herself out the window at the start of the movie with that kickass straight shot the actress had to run towards the window, jump out, land on a ledge, and then the set guy who was on the ledge with her had to throw a dummy right as she landed so when the camera dollied out itd see the dummy continuing to fall. its so loving badass!

e: its been a while but i think the yawning chasm she falls into might be one of th non-camera effects but idr

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

coppola fired the effects director when he told him the things he wanted were 'impossible' then put his son roman in his place and did them anyway. insane poo poo, one of my favorites just for how it was all put together

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the entire coppola family kicks rear end

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Its production day and you know what that means! [nicolas, sophia, roman, and francis all come in and collab for an epic movie]

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

trying to jack off posted:

Its production day and you know what that means! [nicolas, sophia, roman, and francis all come in and collab for an epic movie]

Lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the entire coppola family kicks rear end

the story that james caan hosed up gianni russo because he hit talia shire for real during a scene is ftw

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fucker posted:

dude it's a 4/5 ez

I got the tude now fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 14, 2023

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

the other one i remember is that shot where draculas wife throws herself out the window at the start of the movie with that kickass straight shot the actress had to run towards the window, jump out, land on a ledge, and then the set guy who was on the ledge with her had to throw a dummy right as she landed so when the camera dollied out itd see the dummy continuing to fall. its so loving badass!

e: its been a while but i think the yawning chasm she falls into might be one of th non-camera effects but idr

the only digital effect is the blue fire

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I just watched Arachnophobia for the first time since I was 6. I picked a pretty silly movie apparently, don't worry about it.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Fungah! posted:

I got the tude now posted:

the only digital effect is the blue fire

That's badass!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Phantom of the Paradise

god. a movie that defies description imo and one of the few in recent memory that's given me chills multiple times. i'm absolutely floored especially when going in i only expected some kinda darker Rocky Horror, there's just so much going into it and going in fully blind was absolutely the way to go. the ending was batshit and i thought all those hard cuts worked out very well to make it seem like controlled chaos, especially w/all the drastic changes the music takes. ty so much Roth for adding this one on cuz i never heard about it before and doubt i would've checked it out otherwise

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 14, 2023

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

symbolic posted:

Phantom of the Paradise

god. a movie that defies description imo and one of the few in recent memory that's given me chills multiple times. i'm absolutely floored especially when going in i only expected some kinda darker Rocky Horror, there's just so much going into it and going in fully blind was absolutely the way to go. the ending was batshit and i thought all those hard cuts worked out very well to make it seem like controlled chaos, especially w/all the drastic changes the music takes. ty so much Roth for adding this one on cuz i never heard about it before and doubt i would've checked it out otherwise

Beef ruled

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Beef ruled

:hai:

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I started my exscreamvaganza yesterday with Phantasm, because I've always kind of wanted to see it, it's on a service I already had, and I needed something that seemed easy enough to follow on the clock. I liked it overall, I really dug the first half when things were a lot more surreal and dreamlike, and was disappointed when that mostly (but not entirely) kind of went away in the second half. I really love when something channels that bizarre dream logic and this was one of the better ones I've seen, most of the time when something tries to be "dreamlike" it just throws in a bunch of weird stuff and calls it a day but this really nailed the sort of "logic" of a dream in a way I find hard to explain. Angus Scrimm was born to play the Tall Man role. Just a very striking and original film overall, I saw a review of it that called it "incoherent but effective" and I think that's probably the best descriptor.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Glad people are liking Phantom of the Paradise.

I watched In the Mouth of Madness and man Carpenter's run from like Halloween to this is so godlike. Even as numb as I am now to meta stuff this one still hit right.

My Scream Factory order arrived yesterday so gonna watch my 4k of Dog Soldiers after work tonight.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Videodrome

absolute classic, the bending screen effects still look great
I like how literal the ending is, he starts in that tv interview denying that people will just do the sick stuff they see on TV, and then it ends with him receiving and copying a direct command from a TV

Phantom of the Paradise

the music in this is real good, i could imagine the Juicy Fruits song as an actual radio hit
the way the story is mixing together various classic tales we all know well is so fun and keeps you slightly off balance
I love that when beef was trying to quit and leave in terror, he still bothered to paint a new image on his cheek

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bram Stoker's Dracula

god yes gently caress yes hell yeah

the effects have been mentioned, but the costumes so so top tier as well, draculas old man look and his battle armor are iconic, so many of lucys dresses are 200% over the top its so good

amazing 20/10 scenes:

the wedding
lucys tomb
the van helsing and mina scene that ends in the fade to the sun from their circle of fire

elf help book fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 16, 2023

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula

god yes gently caress yes hell yeah

the effects have been mentioned, but the costumes so so top tier as well, draculas old man look and his battle armor are iconic, so many of lucys dresses are 200% over the top its so good

amazing 20/10 scenes:

the wedding
lucys tomb
the van helsing and mina scene that ends in the fade to the sun from their circle of fire

this guy gets it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Thing

already heard plenty about how legendary it is, and confirmed by finally watching it. some of the best practical effects i've ever seen and some of the most tense i've ever felt watching a film. the blood sample scene in particular was unreal, but all through wondering who it could be and who could be next had me on edge the entire time. John Carpenter unleashing a shapeshifter and letting inherent human paranoia take care of the rest, ftmfw

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watched Dog Soldiers last night. It was a cool movie, I like movies that are just a somewhat simple premise for about 90 - 100 minutes and holding out in a cabin in the middle of nowhere against werewolves was cool.

For some reason I thought the movie involved a castle before watching it? Might be thinking of some other movie.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
watched videodrome will read what others have said later but it was a cool movie good effects and symbolism and probably a wealth of little details that id need to rewatch to pick up on

one of them that i think i did catch was the guy at the end saying he has his head in this box and then later on stage they chiseled out a head from a block of marble it might have been supposed to be james woods lol

but yeah cool story unreliable narrators are hard to pull off right but i think they did a good job here

even if james woods was a huge pussy lmfao, obviously a commentary on how media preys on the pleasure center of our brain

so yeah a lot to extrapolate but good will watch again a few years down the line

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fucker posted:

started w/ my own submission in videodrome, since id never seen it b4

im so loving sick of "is this part real? is this part imagined? oOoOoOOooOOOoouUUuh" movies and this one is even worse bc of the insanely dated vhs poo poo. i get it, it was made in 1983, but im watching it in 2023. sry

it was kind of interesting at the start, i liked some of the shots and the special effects were cool (gotta love practical, baby), but idc that much about body horror or this kind of hackily done "psychological" horror and u combine the two and its a cocktail made to piss me off, bore me and/or have me groaning for over half of it

almost dont want to put this into spoiler tags cause i want to warn ppl ab it. i feel bad i put this on the list

scary score: 2/5
score: 2/5

lol

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

when i was a kid, my dad was in the navy. on occasion, he would actually have to spend time on a boat and leave us for a while. one time he came back and brought something he bought to help pass the time. a portable cd player and some cds, including Billy Joel's River of Dreams, and the Arachnophobia soundtrack. my dad has no taste, i think these were the only cds he ever bought.

i watched Arachnophobia

check out this poster, great job, iconic

thats all the nice things i have to say about this movie

what a slog, every scene feels 3 times as long as it needs to be hanging around a bunch of one note cartoon characters who dont have the decency to be funny