Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Problem description: CS2 crashes immediately on launch with no error, checking the event viewer gives me:
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000750bfc
Faulting process id: 0x0x464
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9F4B9514CDB45
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\game\bin\win64\cs2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64_4e58e7ac1d277d04\nvwgf2umx.dll

Cyberpunk 2077 used to run no problem but after attempting several troubleshooting steps it too now crashes on launch with a flatline error citing the same exception code.

Attempted fixes: disabled all overlays, firewall/virus protection software/
performed clean installs of both games, several times
Used Display Driver Uninstaller in safemode to uninstall my drivers and reinstalling without geforce experience, several times.
Updated BIOS
Running Furmark to check GPU stability (ran for until thermal saturation was reached and let it go for another 30 minutes)
Running Windows Memory Diagnostic on Standard for 4 passes (no problems found)
Using sfc /scannow several times throughout this process (it found issues several times)
re-seating the GPU and RAM on my board, repeating tests
New install of windows followed by another round of tests

Recent changes: This is a new build that hasn't had any issues with other 3d tasks (sketchup, Warthunder, Armored Core 6) or with using the GPU for CUDA tasks such as running a local LLM, or with video editing/transcoding/exporting (Davinci Resolve free version)

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs: Intel Core i9-13900K
gigabyte 4090 gaming oc
gigabyte Aorus z790 AX (rev 1.0) (latest bios, FG)
2x 32gb Corsair Vengeance 5200MHZ DDR5
2 TB samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD
Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1200W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, and submitted a ticket with CDProjektRed and Valve, no response yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sextro posted:

Using sfc /scannow several times throughout this process (it found issues several times)

I'd run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php and see if it finds any issues.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Memtest 86 passed with no errors, and running this software I ran each test available in the trial version with no errors.

I'm starting to lean towards this being a GPU specific issue. Anyone have a free test that isolates the GPU/VRAM?

Sextro fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 3, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sextro posted:

I'm starting to lean towards this being a GPU specific issue. Anyone have a free test that isolates the GPU/VRAM?

Yeah it could be. If you use onboard GPU temporarily that'd determine if it's an issue with your video card or not.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Unfortunately, the onboard GPU isn't sufficient to even launch any of the titles where I am experiencing issues...

Edit: On a whim I tried CS2 again with the GPU active and now it launches and either CTD with no error in event viewer part way through loading a map or hard crashes and reboots my computer upon hitting loading shaders. So at least now I got a .dmp file to bugcheck.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If kernel debugger is available get stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000008, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 0000000000000000, address which referenced memory

Sextro fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 3, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If it's only happening with games then trying another video card would be a good bet. But it could be an issue with any of the hardware.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

New software to give me similar problems: Photolab by Dx0 throws me 0xc0000005 errors as well and I'm just gonna take this thing to a repair shop and pay someone else to figure it out/have the spare hardware on hand to test.

Update for anyone on the edge of their seat waiting to hear more about this saga: The repair guy verified its the GPU so I'll be bothering gigabyte to do a warranty for me.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 5, 2023

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Double Posting because resolution has been found!

It wasn't the GPU. It was the motherboard/bios being set by default to have an unlimited PL1 and unlimited PL2 state (4053 watts) rather than enforcing the Intel CPU spec of 253 Watts. Certain software would just smash against the thermal throttling so often/so long that errors would start to occur.

Solution: Set PL1=Pl2=253 Watts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Good seeking out goon. So to be clear for future searchers the option "Turbo Power Limits" should be ON to apply the recommended limits. Idiotic to have it disabled by default. Possibly a bug by gigabyte!

If you do a CMOS reset it should default to ON, so it doesn't damage CPUs!