Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Published in 1993, A Night in the Lonesome October was the last novel from weird quasi-New Wave SF/Fantasy author Roger Zelazny, most known for Lord of Light and the Amber series. Rumor has it he wrote it on a bet to see if he could write a book that would get the reader earnestly rooting for literally Jack the Ripper, with the story being told from the point of view of his dog Snuff, narrated in the trademark Zelazny "humorous pastiche of a film noir detective" voice.

The book is broken up into 31 chapters, with tradition dictating reading one each day of the month of October. Follow along to untangle a web of mind games, shifting alliances, a whole bunch of references to public domain spooky characters like Sherlock Holmes and Dracula and poo poo, grave robbing, the struggle between those who would throw open the gate to the Old Gods and those who would close it shut, and Good Kitties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i'm in!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is Jack the Ripper going to Rip Cthulu?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is Jack the Ripper going to Rip Cthulu?

You'll find out in 30 days (or sooner if you read ahead, I'm not the book police)

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

the amber series is wild nonsense and really fun. i'm into this.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dynamite Dog posted:

the amber series is wild nonsense and really fun. i'm into this.

Now imagine if Corwin was a dog!

:chord:

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 2, 2023

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I read this last year for the first time but I'll do it again this year hell why not

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Asterite34 posted:

Published in 1993, A Night in the Lonesome October was the last novel from weird quasi-New Wave SF/Fantasy author Roger Zelazny, most known for Lord of Light and the Amber series. Rumor has it he wrote it on a bet to see if he could write a book that would get the reader earnestly rooting for literally Jack the Ripper, with the story being told from the point of view of his dog Snuff, narrated in the trademark Zelazny "humorous pastiche of a film noir detective" voice.

The book is broken up into 31 chapters, with tradition dictating reading one each day of the month of October. Follow along to untangle a web of mind games, shifting alliances, a whole bunch of references to public domain spooky characters like Sherlock Holmes and Dracula and poo poo, grave robbing, the struggle between those who would throw open the gate to the Old Gods and those who would close it shut, and Good Kitties.

I was just about to start a re-read. But this book can seriously be finished super fast.

I think I should use this thread for a doodle a day, since the book inspires doodles every time I read it. Maybe not good doodles, but doodles all the same.

This is one of the few books I still own in non-digital format.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I'm going away to Europe for a while. Hope the book is good

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
this is one of my yearly halloween favorites, hell yeah. there's an old as poo poo audiobook version voiced by Zelazny himself, which is very charming. listened to a ripped mp3 of it on a roadtrip and it had authentic cassette tape distortions which really add to the experience

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It's a really fun book and makes ol' jack very easy to sympathize with

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Sounds fun! I haven’t read it but just borrowed it from my library on Hoopla. It’s going to be hard to limit myself to just a chapter a day though. :D

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
read this book years ago and it ruled. i haven't a clue where i got the thing or what but it surprised the hell out of me. good stuff

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

This sounds kickin rad, totally in

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
I'm still mad that the Closers won in 2020, I was so ready for it all to end.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bored posted:

I think I should use this thread for a doodle a day, since the book inspires doodles every time I read it. Maybe not good doodles, but doodles all the same.

This would be quite appropriate, as each chapter is accompanied by a weird Far Side-esque cartoon drawn by Gahan Wilson!

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Graymalk and Snuff are great pet names, this book is already off to a good start

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

HermitSupplier posted:

Graymalk and Snuff are great pet names, this book is already off to a good start

Greymalk is a reference to the cat owned by one of the witches in MacBeth btw

Snuff is a slightly more complicated literary reference. I've heard it's a nod to Virginia Woolf's Flush: a Biography, which was a commentary on Victorian society in the form of a semi-fictionalized biography of Elizabeth Barrett Browning... told from the point of view of her Cocker Spaniel, Flush.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 2, 2023

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I know the podcast that was formerly the HP Literary Podcast covered this once so I’m in!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Okay, time to play catch-up a little bit. Thankfully, the chapters this early are pretty short

A Night in the Lonesome October

Now, when I said that there were 31 chapters covering every day in the month of October, that was strictly a lie. There is a prologue chapter that sorta just introduces us to our main charater, the faithful watchdog Snuff. He wasn't always a watchdog, and there's a distinct possibility he wasn't always a dog at all, but whatever he was before he is a watchdog now, faithfully serving Jack the loving Ripper.

Jack does a lot of odd jobs, most of which he has to do at night. He has a lot of odd friends he keeps mystically bound inside his house for Snuff to watch in case they break free and rain destruction upon the land. And he has a lot of odd hobbies and collections.

In this prologue bit he's adding to his collection by digging up a graveyard. Snuff intimidates/bribes the mundane guard dog and talks shop for a bit. A real hallmark of this book is the sort of Ralph the Wolf/Sam the Sheepdog rapport characters have who are in theory on opposite sides of ideological conflicts but are nonetheless cordial and friendly. Pretty sure the guard dog literally says "It's a living." Really sets the tone early.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I started a day late and I'm still out of book in like five minutes, not reading ahead on this one is going to be tough but I will give it a shot. Current favorite Thing: wardrobe. I respect the attempt at bargaining more than the what the others have shown so far.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 1st

The first proper chapter of the book is a brief bit of SNuff doing the rounds, checking on the various demons Jack has imprisoned in his nice bucolic London suburb home (which was a common feature of homes in the 1880s). These guys are basically a running gag to give Snuff something to do in the early bits of the book before all the characters are introduced and the intruige begins in earnest, and are kind of a running gag.

The Things in the Mirror writhe around a bit, the Thing in the Steamer Trunk thrashes around like an idiot. The Thing in the Circle has a recurring bit where it shapeshifts into various female dogs to try and tempt Snuff into crossing the threshold and freeing it, but it never gets the smell right so the ruse is kinda pointless.

The Thing in the Wardrobe actually tries to properly bargain with Snuff and offer him bones and poo poo, but no dice. Snuff assures him that the whole affair is temporary and all these Things will get released in the near future anyway, but I guess if you're a bound demon it's an expectation that you try and escape anyway, otherwise no one will take you seriously.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 2nd

This chapter is where we start to get properly introduced to other characters, other Players in the Great Game. Specifically, Graymalk, the cat familiar of the witch Crazy Jill. There's the expected back and forth John le Carre spy novel banter as they talk about how sneaky they both are, though not much in the way of cliche cat/dog antagonism. Everyone's very professional.

Here we're also shown the first instance of a big part of the book: exchange of useful information on other Players. Basically any chapter worth its ink has a bit where characters all compare notes and gossip and try and puzzle out what the other not-currently-present characters are doing. At this early stage of things people are pretty open to handing out info, because nobody knows anyone's affiliations yet anyway and you never know when you might want to call in a favor. Graymalk just openly reveals, just for funsies, that the Hermeticists Morris & McCab sent an owl to covertly curse Jack's house. Snuff, being an honorable sort, pays her back and shares that he saw Jill's house being mystically contaminated by the work of a snake that lives in the stomach of Legally Distinct Rasputin (wizards are loving gross).

Nobody knows whose on what side (and we the reader haven't even really been made privy to what the sides even are), but some Players are already making brazen moves against other contenders based pretty much solely on vibes, and rapports and working relationships are being forged.

Aaaaaaand we're all caught up. Like I said, early chapters are blessedly short as we start to feel out the situation, set the stage, put the pieces on the board.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Okay, time to play catch-up a little bit. Thankfully, the chapters this early are pretty short

A Night in the Lonesome October

Pretty sure the guard dog literally says "It's a living." Really sets the tone early.

Indeed, he does!

I’m about halfway through the book right now, since I owe 2 doodles and am trying to get a clearer picture of Snuff, based off of the text and not the cover or illustrations-just wanna make sure I haven’t subbed in the mental image of some other fictional dog. I also hate most of the illustrations in the book, probably because I am a snob.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Literally named my dog Snuff here is a pic

We did this book as a Book of the Month thread in Book Barn back in 2014 (so many moons ago!) so here are some good links we turned up then:

The title of the book is a Poe quotation:

quote:

The skies they were ashen and sober;
The leaves they were crisped and sere—
The leaves they were withering and sere;
It was night in the lonesome October
Of my most immemorial year:
It was hard by the dim lake of Auber,
In the misty mid region of Weir—
It was down by the dank tarn of Auber,
In the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir.

quote:

I got the idea for that story in May of 1979. I didn't know what it was going to be; I just thought it would be neat to write something about Jack the Ripper's dog, and ask Gahan Wilson to illustrate it, partly because of the fact that a dog is such an unusual person. No matter who owns a dog, if that person is nice to the animal, the dog is going to love him. I thought at the time, if you take a really despicable person, a serial killer or someone like that, and tell a story from his dog's point of view it would make him look pretty good.

I have a first edition of this book and post the Gahan Wilson illustrations if people want me to.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Neato

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That is an exemplary watchdog

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

We did this book as a Book of the Month thread in Book Barn back in 2014 (so many moons ago!) so here are some good links we turned up then:

The title of the book is a Poe quotation:

I have a first edition of this book and post the Gahan Wilson illustrations if people want me to.

Yeah, your dog is pretty much how I imagine Snuff whenever I remember that he is not a short-haired dog.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 3, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

I'd love to see these!

This is one of my favorite books, and I'd been thinking of re-reading it this year once I finished my current audiobook. But if we're doing a chapter-a-day-thread, I'll get started immediately.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
God I love this book. Everything about Snuff and Graymalk's first encounter is perfect.

“Why do you tell me this?”

“Perhaps because I am a cat and it amuses me to be arbitrary and do you a good turn."

Yes, that's a cat right there.

Somehow I always forget that Snuff wasn't originally a dog, but is instead Something Else that was summoned made into a dog, and enjoys dogging so much he doesn't mind being bound. What a great concept for a familiar.

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

this is one of my yearly halloween favorites, hell yeah. there's an old as poo poo audiobook version voiced by Zelazny himself, which is very charming. listened to a ripped mp3 of it on a roadtrip and it had authentic cassette tape distortions which really add to the experience

This is how I've always experienced this book and it's great. Zelazny is not by means a professional narrator, but his voice is perfect for Snuff and he knows how his own work should sound. When they inevitably make a modern recording of Lonesome October, I dread that it's going to be read without the dessicatingly dry wit that Zelazny brings to his own work.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

A grimalkin, also known as a greymalkin, is an archaic term for a cat.[1] The term stems from "grey" (the colour) plus "malkin", an archaic term with several meanings (a low class woman, a weakling, a mop, or a name) derived from a hypocoristic form of the female name Maud.[2] Scottish legend makes reference to the grimalkin as a faery cat that dwells in the highlands.

During the early modern period, the name grimalkin – and cats in general – became associated with the devil and witchcraft. Women tried as witches in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries were often accused of having a familiar, frequently a grimalkin.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

So cute!! :)

Finished October 3 now, I like how details are skirted around. Jack got the "ingredients" he was looking for but it took a bit longer and was more trouble than usual, even ending with a chase. Can't a guy take a nightly stroll in search of ingredients without being harassed these days? Sheesh!

Now we're throwing a bat and a Count into the mix. Having gone into this almost completely blind I'm half-expecting this book to turn into a giant monster mash towards the end, just waiting for a mummy and a Frankenstein to pop up! (Well, I guess the dust of a mummy has already popped up, so that's one down...)

I wasn't expecting there to be more than one talking animal in this so the book keeps surprising me. The edition I'm reading from has these really goofy illustrations in each chapter that I'm still not entirely sure whether I love or hate lol - though the more I stare at this hosed up looking bat, the more it's growing on me.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 3rd

Lots of stuff in a short chapter. We see a method by which Zelazny endeavors to make Jack the Ripper a bit more palatable for the audience. It never really hides that, yes, he's still that Jack the Ripper, he still goes out and kills people and takes their bits, but 1) the narrative stays coyly removed from the grisly details, and 2) gives it context as being in service of some greater overall goal with will in theory justify it a bit.

We also get a raising of the stakes with the Count loving Dracula being a Player now. This has gone beyond just vague wizardry and ritual into the explicitly horrifically superhuman. He's gonna be the guy to beat, here.

I think this is also the first time we hear the terms "openers" and "closers." There are teams/factions/ideologies at play here, and so far nobody knows who goes where. A lot of the charm of the book is it's like being witness to a game of Mafia (or, perhaps more appropriately, Werewolf) with the animal familiars being the Intel gatherers and diplomatic go-betweens of the Masters while they sort out the technical Magic poo poo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I was thinking this was the cute Ray Bradbury thing but I'm still gonna catch up

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It is a very cozy book you could have a teenager or precocious kid read with no qualms.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i like this book, zelaznys cool

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I swear, every chapter has a line that is just perfect. "They had already been out. The broom beside the rear entrance was still warm."

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i’m planning to get caught up this weekend and looking forward to it!

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
October 4 has some more fun conversations between everyone's various pets, even introducing a new one by the adorable name of Cheeter. I love the casual conversations all of them have with each other. Snuff is pretty sneaky trying to coax some info out of Cheeter like that, I can picture the "Oh, you!" face that little squirrel gave him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 4th

quote:

"How's about a collie? You like redheads?"

"You still haven't got it right. S'long."

"Son of a bitch!"

Here we meet another Player and his familiar, Owen and Cheeter. Honestly this feels like a bit of a de-escalation. Last chapter we learned Count Goddamn Dracula was involved in all this, and here we meet... some no-name Druid who isn't a specific literary reference I can think of, and his talking squirrel. It's a bit of a downgrade. But I guess in this sort of Game it might be an advantage to be a bit unassuming and not draw too much attention to yourself.

I like the Gahan Wilson drawing of this guy at least, it's quite imposing. Kinda looks like one of those villainous craggy-faced space gods Jack Kirby liked to draw.