Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Kestral posted:

Holy poo poo that illustration of the Thing in the Circle is a nightmare. I'd always pictured it in its bound state as like, colorful ooze, but nope it's so much worse. These illustrations are unironically great, they're like the drawings you'd get in old-school D&D adventure 'zines.

I like to think that the Count's appreciation of a Good Dog is a nod to Dracula's "Children of the night" scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xmz-p9FYW8

I’m pretty sure it is.

October 3rd, good enough:

Also, I used UV paint in her eyes. Because I am a nerd and a (wo)man-child.

Bored fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 11th

Another pretty quiet day. Snuff runs into the Great Detective out investigating the local area, who recognizes him by his fur color and one shredded ear (run-in with a zombie in the West Indies, long story). He tries to prompt Snuff into leading him back to his owner Jack, but instead gets led right to Morris and McCab's house, because gently caress those two for that stunt with Graymalk and the well the other day, they deserve a bit of unwanted scrutiny from the law.

Yeah, honestly kind of a nothing of a chapter, but it does show that in some respects the noose is tightening a bit. Jack is becoming more of a known quantity in the area, and the Great Detective and associated mundane attention are starting to be drawn to the Players' presence.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
Otctober 12 is short and sweet, just doing the usual check-ins on the incomprehensible horrors locked in several pieces of furniture and then a relaxing night of sitting by a warm fire. Not very exciting but its sweet seeing Jack and Snuff have a day off

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 12th

Another kinda nothing day. A few rumors of people in the area coming down with anemia, likely the Count's work. Gossip of some disagreement between Nightwind and Quicklime, which resulted in the former picking up the latter and dropping them from a great height into the Thames. Man, Nightwind's crew just keeps going out of their way to piss everybody off, don't they? It's nice to get these little updates, gives a sense that all these Players are off doing their own thing, main characters of their own little plots and not only existing when Snuff is looking at them.

Snuff and Jack at the moment are content to just have a nice day in and read the paper, noting all the mysterious killings and maimings and stuff, you know, smalltalk.

That said... this chapter, and the couple before it, do kinda feel like a weird pacing problem. Like there IS stuff that could be happening right now, foreshadowing and laying the groundwork for stuff that happens later, maybe catching up with characters that in the story's current form are kinda not doing a whole lot and will be forgotten about for the next dozen chapters or so. Instead the narrative's spinning its wheels a bit. At times it feels like the author is waiting for an idea to come to them to shake up the plot and in the meantime is just filling time to meet a quota.

But never fear, these doldrums won't last much longer. Stuff is about to happen.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Asterite34 posted:

October 12thSnuff and Jack at the moment are content to just have a nice day in and read the paper, noting all the mysterious killings and maimings and stuff, you know, smalltalk.

"It's nice to be domestic sometimes" is one of my favorite lines in the book, and maybe one of my favorite Zelazny jokes full stop.

Bored posted:

October 3rd, good enough:

Also, I used UV paint in her eyes. Because I am a nerd and a (wo)man-child.

Halloween as hell, A+

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I had to look up what dundrearied means. I had assumed, oh, it's when you're a TSA agent and you force richard dawkins to throw away his tiny jar of honey before he can board a plane causing him to lose all hope in western civilization and declare that osama bin laden has won, but dundrearies are like mutton chops or something. The pastor who is mad at dracula has some facial hair. I love collecting sesquipedalian words.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Happy Friday, October 13th, everyone!

The Great Detective has been snooping around the neighborhood a bit, but that's not the alarming events of the day.

Needle shows up at Snuff's window desperate from sanctuary from the crossbow bolts of a Vicar Roberts, the local parish priest. He seems to have gone berserk ranting about Creatures of the Night and all that, possibly due to all the recent bloodless corpses the Count has left lying around. Vicar Roberts is one of those sorts of characters that the story assures us has been technically present the whole time, but is only actually showing up onscreen now that he's doing something important. I guess Jack isn't attending regular services to hear the red-faced spittle-flecked shoutings of the hysterical local priest. None of the Players seem like regular churchgoers, and at least one of them would probably burst into flames if he set foot in one.

There's a brief altercation at the front door, but Jack isn't about to let some psycho into his house, which Snuff terms "a place of peace and refinement." The only armed dangerous lunatic he's going to allow through that door is himself, thank you very much.

Still, Vicar Roberts could be a long term problem for everyone, him and a few of his parishioners who he's whipped into a similarly crossbow-armed posse. It seems he's already taken potshots at Cheeter and Nightwind, as well as Needle, so it's not just vampires he's paranoid about.

Needle posted:

"...he claims to have had a vision concerning a society of wretched individuals and their familiars preparing for some big psychic event which will place them at odds with each other and threaten the safety of humanity. The vampire business was the first 'sign,' as he put it, that this was true."

...huh. He knows more than a mundane person really should about all this. That's concerning.

Snuff and Needle agree to get all the other players informed to stay clear of the Vicar, as Jack helps Needle to the contents of his fruit bowl while chucking about the absurdity of ~CrEaTuReS oF tHe NiGhT~ or whatever. Jack's a good fellow. Little tip that might reveal some things prematurely if you pay too close of attention: the book kinda runs on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure rules, in that you can tell who the good guys and bad guys are by how nice or pointlessly mean they are to animals.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Asterite34 posted:

Happy Friday, October 13th, everyone!
: the book kinda runs on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure rules, in that you can tell who the good guys and bad guys are by how nice or pointlessly mean they are to animals.

That's just normal rules for every day

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I kinda zoomed through the rest of the book, I couldn’t help it, but I do like how consistently nice Snuff is with the other familiars no matter what.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DreamingofRoses posted:

I kinda zoomed through the rest of the book, I couldn’t help it, but I do like how consistently nice Snuff is with the other familiars no matter what.

I feel like he can kinda afford to be, by virtue of being the most physically imposing familiar. He's some large breed dog that could maul a human-sized opponent in a pinch, while most of the other ones weigh under five pounds, he could bite their heads off if they started anything. The only one who might concievably threaten him is Nightwind ambusing him at night and hitting something critical with a lucky swoop, but outside that eventuality he could stand decent odds taking all the other familiars on at once in a straight-up fight.

So yeah, he deals pretty fairly and is on professionally friendly terms with everyone, and everyone is professional to him, because none of THEM are likely to start poo poo personally. If he were a different sort of character he might get cocky about that and throw his weight around, but any of the human players could just, you know, go out and buy a gun and shoot him.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Snuff and Needle agree to get all the other players informed to stay clear of the Vicar, as Jack helps Needle to the contents of his fruit bowl while chucking about the absurdity of ~CrEaTuReS oF tHe NiGhT~ or whatever. Jack's a good fellow. Little tip that might reveal some things prematurely if you pay too close of attention: the book kinda runs on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure rules, in that you can tell who the good guys and bad guys are by how nice or pointlessly mean they are to animals.

Re, your spoiler: that doesn’t tell us who is an opener and who is a closer, however. Just who also happens to be a gigantic rear end in a top hat along with being a player. There are many reasons one might choose a side not related to the character’s propensity for mundane evil or good. And I don’t wanna spoil too much, so I’ll stop there.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Kind of an escalation from tossing cats down wells. Poor snuff dragging a body all day.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 14th

Hey kids, you wanna see a dead body?

Well I mean, Snuff's seen plenty of dead bodies, his master's Jack the Ripper for chrissake, but this is a real problem that Graymalk found. It's a loving cop with his throat slit in a field near Jack's house. Dude doesn't need the attention of a police investigation, none of the Players do, they're all suspicious freaks with stuff to hide. No obvious clues who did it either. Yeah Jack has a spooky ceremonial dagger, but any occultist worth his salt can get a hold of a knife.

So yeah, prepare for several chapters of Snuff laboriously dragging a progressively more mangled corpse across the English countryside until he can dump it in the river!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Gosh I wonder if sherlock holmes is gonna figure out any clues from a throat-slashed body dragged for 16 straight hours as the crow flies to the river or w/e he decided on.

The curious incident of the dog in the day time.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Gosh I wonder if sherlock holmes is gonna figure out any clues from a throat-slashed body dragged for 16 straight hours as the crow flies to the river or w/e he decided on.

The curious incident of the dog in the day time.

Well that's why Snuff is doing it. If he's discovered dragging a murder victim around, nobody's gonna think the dog slit the guy's throat and is disposing of evidence. You just assume it's hungry and is burying it for later.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I really like this as an obstacle for these characters, because of how very differently they have to handle it compared to a human in the same situation. None of the other familiars are in any way equipped to deal with dragging a corpse anywhere, so it has to fall to Snuff. But even a big dog like our boy apparently is, is going to have trouble with a task like this. Hands are super useful, it turns out! But he's endlessly faithful and has a, heh, dogged determination to see the task through, even if he has to literally haul a body with his teeth for days. It's a clever piece of writing in a lot of ways.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 15th

Gray drizzly day filled with corpse dragging, and from the sound of it the local constables and the Great Detective are already snooping around the area, paying social calls to the Vicar and Owen. Hauling bodies is exhausting work, and Snuff is intermittently gonna be at it for a while.

In the evening it seems like everyone's ventured into town to get some last-minute shopping and "ingredient" gathering done, lots of stuff to wrap up before the new moon. A rat that may or may not be Bubo scurries through an alleyway with a human finger in its mouth. Rastov is sitting in a bar by himself with a bottle of vodka, with Snuff wondering what the effect of that is while Quicklime is curled up cozy inside the Mad Monk's stomach (no I don't know why he does that, the arrangement seems amicable, but... jesus christ). Owen is seen palling around with some working class coal miner types, all totally hammered and singing in Welsh. Morris and McCab are out wandering the street, with Morris dressed in drag. I don't know if they, like, habitually do this because it's just their thing, or if it's a disguise, or if there's some hermetic reason for it, but whatever. This will not be the last instance of crossdressing in this book. A one-eyed, shivelled-armed vagrant sells Jack a pencil, only his scent revealing he's the Great Detective in disguise.

Whatever Jack went into town to get, it got him chased by patrolmen for the efforts, until Larry Talbot appears at a very convenient time to yank him into a side-door to wait out the pursuit. Dude is very good at being at the right place at the right time.

This isn't a particularly eventful chapter, but it does have a lot of character to it, it sets a good tone of intruige and lets us see some of the Players in a less guarded context. And it lays down a few initial breadcrumbs of stuff later.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Asterite34 posted:

with Snuff wondering what the effect of that is while Quicklime is curled up cozy inside the Mad Monk's stomach

When I read this line, I'm like... internal to what? His rear end? No, that can't be. That's dumb. He's like, inside a burrough, or their house, or under his robes or cloak or something. I don't like finding out that was close.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"A wizard with a snake in his stomach" has got to be some kind of Slavic folklore reference, but the closest I can think of is [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei]Koschei[/url], the OG lich who hides his soul in a nesting-doll of eggs and animals and landscape features.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Kestral posted:

"A wizard with a snake in his stomach" has got to be some kind of Slavic folklore reference, but the closest I can think of is [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei]Koschei[/url], the OG lich who hides his soul in a nesting-doll of eggs and animals and landscape features.

I’m seeing if there is a specific story anywhere about a white snake living in a man’s belly in Slavic tradition. But here’s a paper about animal guardians on Slavic folklore. White snakes are said to be reincarnations off your most distant ancestor (but they are good luck when they live in your house. There is nothing about the belly).

https://journals.ku.edu/folklorica/article/download/3699/3542#:~:text=The%20white%20snake%20was%20called,be%20sent%20by%20God%20Himself.

Also plenty of old fairy tales/folk tales from all over the world about snake moving into someone’s belly, when they fall asleep by a stream, that are clearly explanations of tapeworms from people who didn’t know what was coming out of them after infection.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've never read this before but I finally picked it up and am around day 20. I might get a physical copy because it's real good

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 16th

quote:

I slept awfully well last night, awoke aching, and made the rounds.

"How's about an Afghan?" the Thing in the Circle asked, having assumed that lovely, aristocratic form.

"Sorry. Too tired today," I responded.

It cursed and I departed.

More miserable corpse dragging. Still having a better day than the totally mundane bat VIcar Roberts crossbowed. Also better than Quicklime, who is hungover from hanging out in Rastov's booze-filled gut until he was vomited out in the middle of the road. Wizards are gross.

Also having a bad day are the various human Players, who have all been brought in by the constabulary to be questioned about the missing officer. According to Graymalk, Jill feigned dementia, Rastov pretended to not undestand English, the Good Doctor is annoyed that this is the sort of poo poo he moved out to the country to get away from, and everyone else is just sort of unhelpfully polite. Jack and Larry commiserate about Vicar Roberts being allowed to sit in on the investigation and accuse them all of covering for each other in a Satanic conspiracy.

Jack really doesn't get Larry's place in this all, since he's openly taken a side in the Game but isn't really doing any of the necessary wizardy legwork that keeps you from just getting murked by the other side as a matter of course. Larry isn't totally sure of his place in things either. He has a strong hunch, but it's one of those future-sight things where if he reveals too much, it might influence peoples' actions and throw off his predictions.

Tomorrow is the New Moon.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Asterite34 posted:

Also better than Quicklime, who is hungover from hanging out in Rastov's booze-filled gut until he was vomited out in the middle of the road. Wizards are gross.

Rastov, probably.

Len posted:

I've never read this before but I finally picked it up and am around day 20. I might get a physical copy because it's real good

It's great to see people discovering this book!

The comment about a physical copy sent me down a rabbit-hole looking for special editions and alternate covers. There is a nice leatherbound version from 1993, but more interesting to me was the discovery of an ultra-high-res color-corrected scan of the original painting used for the cover, which reveals a bunch of little details that are either hard to make out in the low-res version, or are completely obscured by the title and such.

Check out the incredible depiction of Cheeter in the top right, oh my god he's gone full Fern Gully

You can also see in the high-res version that the fat guy in spectacles on the right, the one with the white raven on his shoulder, has a white clerical collar, a detail that is completely lost in the low-res images, and is carrying a crossbow. I'm also now wondering if the Great Detective is actually the guy in the back doing measurements with his hands, and the guy in the green smoking jacket up front is Jack.

One more neat thing from this search: on the Goodreads discussion for this cover, there's a comment by someone who actually emailed the artist of the cover, James Warhola, and got a response! They only posted part of that response, but it gives a fun detail:

James Warhola posted:

...I am crazy busy at the moment. But did love books like this with all sorts of details to work from. and as I remember I loved this one. I did what I could to get it in on deadline. A crowd scene not often done for a small paperback cover I thought was the perfect solution for this type of book since it was made up of som many crazy interesting characters... most of them were all my friends since I never had a budget for photography. One thing I think I can admit to is the butler is probabbly just a butler.

thanks for the interest,

James

If I'm reading the second to last line there correctly, most of the people on the ANITLO cover are people the artist knew, who then got a Hammer Horror makeover. I love this so much.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Kestral posted:

Rastov, probably.

The comment about a physical copy sent me down a rabbit-hole looking for special editions and alternate covers. There is a nice leatherbound version from 1993, but more interesting to me was the discovery of an ultra-high-res color-corrected scan of the original painting used for the cover, which reveals a bunch of little details that are either hard to make out in the low-res version, or are completely obscured by the title and such.

Check out the incredible depiction of Cheeter in the top right, oh my god he's gone full Fern Gully

You can also see in the high-res version that the fat guy in spectacles on the right, the one with the white raven on his shoulder, has a white clerical collar, a detail that is completely lost in the low-res images, and is carrying a crossbow. I'm also now wondering if the Great Detective is actually the guy in the back doing measurements with his hands, and the guy in the green smoking jacket up front is Jack.

One more neat thing from this search: on the Goodreads discussion for this cover, there's a comment by someone who actually emailed the artist of the cover, James Warhola, and got a response! They only posted part of that response, but it gives a fun detail:

If I'm reading the second to last line there correctly, most of the people on the ANITLO cover are people the artist knew, who then got a Hammer Horror makeover. I love this so much.

The bat is Needle. Cheeter is the squirrel.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Cheeter's down there hanging out with Graymalkin

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kestral posted:

Rastov, probably.

I agree that I don't think the guy in the foreground with the kalabash is Holmes, that's just misdirection, but I don't think it's the guy over by the Frankenstein either.

Spoiler for October 19th: I think the nice old lady next to the Vicar is a better candidate, if only because there aren't any other nice old ladies in the book she could possibly be

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
weird rear end drawing for the chapter today

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Asterite34 posted:

I agree that I don't think the guy in the foreground with the kalabash is Holmes, that's just misdirection, but I don't think it's the guy over by the Frankenstein either.

Spoiler for October 19th: I think the nice old lady next to the Vicar is a better candidate, if only because there aren't any other nice old ladies in the book she could possibly be

Morris and McCab given they already showed off one of them cross dressing?

Ed: it also makes sense if you view the three groups as the teams

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 17, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DreamingofRoses posted:

Morris and McCab given they already showed off one of them cross dressing?

Ed: it also makes sense if you view the three groups as the teams

Naw, my guess is Morris is the lady by Frankenstein, they more closely fit the description from the 15th of "[...] heavily rouged, hanging onto McCab's arm." I peg McCab as the big goony-looking guy in tweed next to the mirror

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 17, 2023

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Asterite34 posted:

Naw, my guess is Morris is the lady by Frankenstein, they more closely fit the description from the 15th of "[...] heavily rouged, hanging onto McCab's arm." I peg McCab as the big goony-looking guy in tweed next to the mirror

That’s fair, I’m probably reading too much into it but having the Closers, Openers, and Officially Unaffiliated sitting in their own groups just made sense to me after I saw it. But agreed, Sherlock in his Lady disguise makes sense too. I guess it’s up to who looks most like Watson.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DreamingofRoses posted:

That’s fair, I’m probably reading too much into it but having the Closers, Openers, and Officially Unaffiliated sitting in their own groups just made sense to me after I saw it. But agreed, Sherlock in his Lady disguise makes sense too. I guess it’s up to who looks most like Watson.

The Count is not unaffiliated though.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Zopotantor posted:

The Count is not unaffiliated though.

Neither is Jack, who I thought was the person with the pipe.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 17th

The Game has a certain astrological component, tied to the phases of the moon. Tonight is the New Moon, and this is a critical point. Before this point everything was pretty breezy and low-stakes, but from this point on the mystical powers will rise until a crescendo with the Full Moon on Halloween. After tonight, the Openers and Closers will start to reveal themselves, and people will start to really care about the distinctions.

But that's for tomorrow. Tonight everyone is doing some last minute shopping at the remote cemetary from the prologue, with the same tired old guard dog whose totally over this poo poo and doesn't consider it worth the trouble to raise the alarm over a bunch of dead people being desecrated. He IS a bit annoyed that some of the graverobbers don't fill in the holes after themselves. The Great Detective discretely unobtrusively observes the goings-on in disguise.

This is probably a lot of peoples' favorite chapter, because it has such a fun casual tone. It kinda feels like the Cereal Convention from Sandman, with everyone kinda just palling around goofing off about what is, objectively, a pretty macabre subject matter. Everyone's trading scavenged body parts like they're pokemon cards, it's great.

This is the last flowering of easy cameraderie among the Players. After tonight, battle lines are drawn. The Moon is dead. The Moon grows.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

It is October 18th. I am not doing a summary of this chapter, but I was playing with bing create, so decided to see what happens if I put in a prompt about what I have a clear vision of from this chapter.

Oops

Ok, let's try putting in something that can take its place.

Well that is not anywhere close to what happened nor does it follow my prompt so well.

The suggestions for Oct 24th actually came out pretty cool looking, though not quite right, so I'm hoping I'll remember to post them then.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Asterite34 posted:

October 17th
This is probably a lot of peoples' favorite chapter, because it has such a fun casual tone. It kinda feels like the Cereal Convention from Sandman, with everyone kinda just palling around goofing off about what is, objectively, a pretty macabre subject matter. Everyone's trading scavenged body parts like they're pokemon cards, it's great.

Came here to post this, October 17th is definitely a favorite. Zelazny's style is such that every once in a while you can just tell when he was really enjoying himself with a piece of writing and this is one of them, along with the "when the fit hit the shan" portion of Lord of Light. I always enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure out which request belongs to which player, since Zelazny's narration gives some vague hints as to who's who.

Soundtrack for October 17th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lot1xjsFbTc

(Also, The Graveyard Book is highly recommended for fans of A Night in the Lonesome October, and has a great audiobook)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Kestral posted:

Came here to post this, October 17th is definitely a favorite. Zelazny's style is such that every once in a while you can just tell when he was really enjoying himself with a piece of writing and this is one of them, along with the "when the fit hit the shan" portion of Lord of Light. I always enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure out which request belongs to which player, since Zelazny's narration gives some vague hints as to who's who.

Soundtrack for October 17th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lot1xjsFbTc

(Also, The Graveyard Book is highly recommended for fans of A Night in the Lonesome October, and has a great audiobook)

I went and listened to the full cast audioversion of "The Graveyard Book" after finishing this*. I have the kindle version, but I can't read on the bus due to motion sickness, so bought the full cast version for my bus commute several years back. I've listened to it multiple times. I agree with your suggestion.

*Then I followed it up with several other Gaiman audiobooks that I have in my library.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 18th

Snuff's corpse dragging is interrupted by a new face. Not a new character, but definitely a new face. A huge-rear end wolf shows up and reveals himself to be... Larry Talbot!

Gasp. Shock.

:geno:

But yes, Talbot is a werewolf. He seems to be operating under the ruleset that he can voluntarily transform and maintain his human faculties whenever (with a little help from some extracts from his special houseplants) but has to transform (and go kill-crazy) on the full moon. He picks up the body Snuff has been struggling with for days and hauls it the last third or so of the way to the river in an hour. That's not why he's here though.

He leads Snuff to the nearby church and helps him sneak in through the back, as even in wolf form he knows a trick or two about operating doorknobs with paws. Here we see Vicar Roberts leading a delightful midnight mass... with black candles... and an upside down cross...and invoking the name of Nyarlathotep. Yep, on top of everything else, this monster mash of a story now has an official crossover with the loving Cthulhu Mythos, with the good Vicar here as our resident cultist. Snuff and Larry duck out because neither wants to stay and watch the Satanic orgy bit. Eugh, It's like what Anglicans think a Roman Catholic midnight mass is like.

Still, it's useful information, because the Vicar being a possible Player means that he's a piece of the puzzle for locating the important ceremonial site. Larry also may or may not be a part of that puzzle. He's on Jack's side in an unofficial capacity, and he anticipates he's got some part to play in all this, but since he'll likely be a mindless beast on Halloween night, he can't say anything for sure.

Graymalk is waiting for Snuff when he gets home, and... everyone is weirdly guarded now. Info can't be as freely shared now, since people's team affiliation is gonna start mattering for real and for all they know, they're on opposite sides. Still, they can at least keep things cordial, give little tidbits.

Snuff goes up to a big hill nearby that's usefully high up and centrally located that he can see the terrain and map out the spacial relations between the Players easier. A big old house in the country might be a good candidate. A bit of consecration makes for a good ritual site, and the place might have a private chapel. Something for someone stealthier than him to check out.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Asterite34 posted:

October 17th

Matt Godfrey also does an excellent job with the voices for this one too.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

October 19th

quote:

The Thing in the Circle said, "French poodle?" when it saw me enter.

"Not today."

"Anything else? Anything at all? I'd sure like to get out and kill and rend. I'm feeling stronger all of a sudden."

"Your time will come," I told it.

Quite a lot happening today. A bunch of colorful characters have moved into town on wagons, various Romani stereotypes because this is a gothic horror setting and this was written in the early 90s when most people thought you could use terms like "Gipsy" and not think it particularly offensive. Quicklime's Master has some experience with this sort of thing from his travellings in Eastern Europe. They're the Count's entourage, probably to guard his tomb while he sleeps. HE can just fly over to England for the Game on short notice, but they had to take the long way 'round and are only showing up now. Snuff and Quicklime also discuss the possibility that the Count might have multiple residences, that all might count toward the location of the final ritual site. Don't worry though, Quicklime has a plan to figure that whole mess out.

The travelling caravan sets up shop in a field near Talbot's place (him and them go way back, too) but that's not the only visitors Larry's recieving today. A nice old lady, Linda Enderby, has just moved into the big old house nearby (the one Snuff thinks might be a ritual site candidate) and they're getting along like a house on fire discussing houseplants. Snuff asks him about her (thankfully, Larry can understand dog even in human form) but assures him she's just a mundane neighbor who didn't ask about anything suspect. Snuff doesn't have the heart to tell him that "she" is in fact the Great Detective in his most elaborate disguise yet. Seems she's going to pay the Vicar a housecall next. She's already paid Crazy Jill a visit earlier in the day.

Speaking of paying visits, Graymalk is here. Seems she's decided not to be so tight-lipped about things, considering the whole Well Incident and all. She imparts that Vicar Roberts has been helping the police searching for their missing man. Meaning, he "coincidentally" guided them to the exact spot the corpse was before Snuff moved it. Curious. Further collaboration might be in order, such as getting a stealthy cat to sneak into the broken basement window of "Linda's" house to see if it's a suitable site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
The death of the moon gives us our first chapter of any real length, too.

You can feel the tone shifting here. Cooperation is no longer easy to come by, and your relationship-building from earlier in the month matters a lot now. This starts to feel almost like espionage fiction, where trust is crucial - but can be used against you at the drop of a hat if you've misjudged someone.