Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Credit where it's due, if you had asked me at the beginning of the season if I'd have been satisfied with the Rangers even sniffing the wild card, I'd have very quickly told you yes.

And yet here we are, they're in the wild card and I really can't frame it as anything other than a colossal disappointment. A franchise of maestros in the art of disappointment.

It is pretty funny that they'll be facing the other "what the hell happened in the first half" team in the Tampa Bay Rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Let the Yankees fans post

We will all survive it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hmmm

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm sure those are some badass tweets

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Awful to hear, ALS is the true dogshit garbage. I'll take your words to heart though. My kid is only one and a half, but I'd really like to expose him to this dumb old game I can't walk away from.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Today I stopped by Academy to see what Rangers stuff they still had leftover from the ALCS win. Not much left for men, but some shirts and hoodies still remained for kids and women. Wasn't interested in the clothing though. Bought myself a goofy commemorative baseball. If I buy any clothing I want it to be for something bigger and better, but a baseball commemorating the Battle of Texas 2023 is still pretty damned cool in my opinion. I'd love to get it signed one day.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't hate the Rays 100% due to an arrogance that makes me sick to my stomach. Whenever the Rangers play the Rays in the playoffs there's a good chance great times are coming.

I'm sorry for feeling this way.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am a giant piece of poo poo and I say Ohtani to the Rangers because they're a championship team and let's just be fuckin supervillains now I'm mad with power and emotions

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Depends on who'd be attending

Edit: someone report this post, it's bad

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's gonna be a lot of fun being on ranger way sponsored by carls Jr, watching the world champion Texas Rangers scoot past me clearly hungover, and then I'll take Jerry Jones scrotum boulevard to a fudruckers and enjoy a chocolate shake before going to six flags over texas and throwing up on the carousel.

Brought to you by Wal-Mart. It'll be great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe 30 minutes, usually. Gonna take longer tomorrow.

Honestly, if yall wanna talk poo poo about Arlington just make fun of them for refusing to embrace any semblance of public transit because Jerruh needs his parking lot money. It's a dumb city that loves getting absolutely fleeced in avoidable taxes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

General Dog posted:

Arlington is fine, it looks like the kind of place most people I care about live.

Got lots of friends who live in Arlington, and there's some nice pockets to it away from the mess. It's just where it's a mess it's...well, messy.

Comparing it to Houston is unfair since Houston has eaten all of its surroundings, both good and bad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The World Champion Texas Rangers will sign Shohei Ohtani

Hell yeah, get on over here Shohei

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nelson Cruz retired.

Be free, you beautiful dumb bastard

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I couldn't go to the parade, woke up feelin like absolute poo poo. Honestly wonder if being wound up as tight as I was for over a week came back to bite me when I finally relaxed.

Wrapped up in a blanket and watching it on TV, and it's good to know seeing all those moments throughout the playoffs can still send shivers down my spine. ANd hey, I get to dodge a covid infection and that's worth something.

Disappointing but I'm trying to find a silver lining. For what it's worth I missed the Mavs parade in 2011, too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Well the playoffs are over, the title won, so I can say Evan Carter sucks now

but also not surprised in the slightest, lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I already took my 2 shots at Bregman, I'm good.

It's nice to know players have a brain broken similar to mine tho

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Texans played their first game against the Cowboys and won, in what was expected to be a pretty easy win even for a lovely Cowboys team. If I had actually been watching football back then I'd have killed to see Jerry Jones's face when the game ended.

Anywho, feeling mildly better but kinda glad I didn't go to the parade. From what I heard everyone was super nice and positive and all that, but you're driving around a stadium in pickup trucks??? The gently caress is that.

Didn't buy an official t-shirt, but I snagged a fan-made shirt and it should arrive in a day or two. Snagged the newspaper, and ordered another goofy commemorative baseball. This should conclude my purchases until opening day.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Both fantastic suggestions, thanks

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm standing behind an academy in a huge line to get an autograph from Adolis Garcia. Session starts at 3pm. Wanted to get something signed but they're just handing out a card he'll sign. Which, hey I get....but now begins the endurance run. Is this goofy piece of paper gonna be worth it?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao: I did not make the cutoff. Motherfucker showed up late, they got to 600 tickets handed out, I got within 10 feet of the front doors and they said nope its over

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I...did not see that coming. Holy poo poo.

I guess this means we're gonna be active in the FA market. Although it would be the most Cubs thing to give a guy the highest managerial contract ever and then do fuckall in signing players.

Take Chapman from the Rangers and I'll give yall a dollar

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
if the Yankees and Cardinals want to be dogshit for the next decade I say we encourage them

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Monathin posted:

Conversely I want to see more bunting and think bunting is cool but I root for the team who should be bunting the most (and they didn't do it enough, imo)

Bunting absolutely owns but only when you pull a fast one and surprise everybody. Don't get me wrong, when the Diamondbacks demonstrated in game 1 how easy they made moving base runners it was impressive, but the best bunt is the one that takes everyone by surprise, commentary included.

It's why Major League's ending is still always a fun watch.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Monathin posted:

I mean yeah but the point is that everyone should know how to bunt effectively b/c if no one knows how to bunt then even if you aren't expecting it its easy to deal with, everyone should know how to bunt so that any player on the roster can lay one down and you can never be safe from it.

so like I agree with the take but imo that doesn't mean less bunting, it means more bunting. Everyone should be afraid of the bunt.

Oh we're in agreement then. Anybody at that level of play should be bunt capable.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ron Washington is managing a team again. That's just the way baseball go.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Put Beltre in, then close the hall of fame. It peaked.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Who gives a poo poo about defense in baseball

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It kinda makes a huge difference! Even great pitchers can benefit enormously from having good defensive players behind them

Ssh, you're ruining the bit

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Cardinals are signing Kyle Gibson

Good dude, bad team, no clue if he's still good. I hope so, even if gently caress the Cards

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
yeah

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

blessed tweet

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ohtani, please. Come to the Rangers. The shittiest old white dudes on the radio will be dead soon, it'll be okay.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bandire posted:

Eric Nadel is a treasure even if he had incredibly dumb opinions on Darvish.

He wasn't the only one. Whether or not Darvish was going to leave anyway, the number of morons lining up to show him the door was embarrassing and I honestly fear the way it ended could salt the earth around here for any other potential Japanese player.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it bugged me then and it still bugs me now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Ohtani joins the Dallas Cowboys

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
According to my sources the Texas Rangers are the best baseball team in the world.

Still feels good. Creed, your writeup is this weekend. For realsies.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
shohei change your mind and come to the Rangers--we can't even broadcast games to our fans, you'll have all the privacy you've ever wanted!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
sorry guys I just called my uncle donathan and he says that showy ohtanee is signing with the the Frisco Roughriders

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

somehow the lamest take in all of this

the article, not the good goon sharing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

General Dog posted:

How many titles do they need? The Rangers could let everyone go now and go another 30 years without a title before I start checking my watch again.

On the flip side, I could live happily denying Astros the American League pennant a handful more times. As far as runner up prizes go that's still pretty goddamn shiny.