Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/M_Montemurro/status/1708583241861546188?s=20

lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yeah I sure am looking forward to yet another year of young rookies with upside riding the pine so loving losers like Eric Hosmer and Drew Smyly can take reps away from them! :shepicide:

fake e. the pen being absolutely toast contributed heavily to the September collapse, meanwhile Hoyer called up Luke Little on the 6th, and in the 26 days he was up with the Cubs Ross had him throw 6.2 IP. 2.2 of which were the last two days after the season basically didn't matter. In that time he gave up no runs and struck out 12, but hey why actually use the young fireballing lefty your FO just handed you with the pen short when you could instead run Cuas out 923450297853208940923840923 times and give saves to the corpse of a splitter-less Mark Leiter Jr.?

Can't wait for Mervis slashing .500/.800/.2000 for a full year in Iowa next year while the Cubs give all their 1B starts to Patrick Wisdom and some dogshit veteran who's so old and washed they need to Weekend at Bernie's his mummified body up to the batters box.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

Last two presidential election years were the Cubs winning the WS and the last time the Cubs made it to the postseason. If anything the rest of the world should be mortified if the Cubs are good next year because we all know what comes next after they win it all.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly the Yankees just need some consistent offensive performers besides Judge. As soon as he got hurt the Yankees had no answer, he really did put the '22 team on his back and if you look at the lineup this year, the only guy besides Judge with an OPS+ above 100 is Torres at 118. Not even saying you need to dip into the Ohtani or Bellinger pools, just go get 2-3 guys who are likely to give you something in the 105-115 OPS+ range instead of 85-95 and suddenly the roster looks a whole lot more likely to survive another Judge injury.

Oh and pray to the arm gods that Rodon still has a couple seasons of his elbow not exploding left in him I guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

The rumor is they're going to trade a bunch of good prospects for a year of Pete Alonso. That way they can claim they replaced Bellinger in the lineup without having to commit big money long term. Basically the approach they took when they traded their top prospects for a cheap contract in Quintana instead of getting Verlander who wanted to play in Chicago,

It's cool that the Cubs have a nice farm system but it'll just be used to trade for safe contracts so they don't have to commit money in free agency.

Only FA rumors I've heard is that the Cubs are thought to be pretty aggressive in wanting to woo Yoshinobu Yamamoto when he gets posted. Going after Alonso would be really dumb after he flat out said he did not want to be traded and wouldn't sign an extension with anybody besides the Mets.

I definitely think the Cubs are going to stand pat in a lot of areas and piss fans off. Alzolay, Merryweather, Leiter, Little, Smyly, Assad should all be locks for the pen, and Cuas/Palencia/Keegan/Hughes can fight for the last couple spots. They'll bring in some veteran arms because every team does that every year, but they won't splash on any big pen guys. Likewise most of the rotation is already set (Stroman, Hendricks, Steele, Taillon) the only question is will they actually try to bring in a front of the rotation guy or just let Wicks/Wesneski/etc duke it out for the 5th spot. Lineup-wise they need answers for 1B, 3B, and CF. All of these could be solved internally on the cheap (Mervis 1B, Wisdom/Mastrobuoni/Madrigal 3B, Canario/PCA CF). Alternatively they have a TON of guys absolutely raking in AAA/AA who are hopelessly blocked, so why not trade some of that depth for a sure fire guy or two? Cubs desperately need actual slugging, Cody and Morel tied for most HR's on the team at 26 apiece.

All that said they do have ~$50M to play around with before they start creeping into the first tier of the tax, and something like an additional $50M comes off the books after the 2024 season. So they should have flexibility, who knows how they'll use it though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Even if the Cubs don't want Kyle next year (which would suck!) they'll still pick his option up. He's on what is effectively a 1/16 contract, which is way less than what he'd command after a successful bounce back. They'd probably trade him before paying him to leave for nothing.

3B is probably going to be a clusterfuck next year unless they can bring Candy back on a 2-3 year deal. They're not balling out for Chapman, and Shaw looks like he'll probably ready for the job in a year or two but won't be ready to open next season. Maybe they try to make Morel stick there again or something but I'm guessing it's gonna be platoon city.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What the hell is up with Stanton? He's going through what feels like a late-30's slugger decline even though he's only 33.

mcmagic posted:

So it seems like Trevor Bauer got a little bit hosed over?

I've not read his new statements but unless he turned over legit proof that he did not in fact beat a woman half to death and has been credibly accused of doing the same to multiple other women, then I really do not give a poo poo about the circumstances around why he did those things.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/1708975007295046124

lmao okay.

Popete posted:

If there was solid evidence Bauer didn't do anything wrong or it could be plausibly denied I'm pretty sure the Dodgers would have helped make that clear because they are still paying him to not pitch.

Yeah this, by all accounts the Dodgers were trying pretty much to the zero hour to retain Bauer - unsurprising considering how much they were on the hook for paying him - and it all fell apart specifically after Bauer met with ownership and hosed it up enough for them to cut bait. You'd think if he'd had any kind of smoking gun that the allegations were false he'd have turned it over then and saved MLB career, instead of getting banished from the league.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Red posted:

Yeah. Given what his victims have reported, it's pretty bad. He's an alleged violent rapist with the ability to financially crush these women in court.

Also like, not to swerve into kinkshaming or anything but even if Bauer is telling the truth and everything he did with every girl was 100% consensual all around, that in order to get off Bauer needs to beat the poo poo out of his partner says all you need to know about him and what kind of person he is, I think.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah instead let's talk about all this Alonso to the Cubs smoke, which Niwrad brought up yesterday and I thought sounded crazy but now there's a ton more of it today:

https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/1709270907699507674

If there are really any legs to this it's kinda odd because you'd probably need to give up actual guys for Alonso, but he's only got a year of control left and has been on record that he's expecting a ridiculously expensive extension through like his age 40 season or whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Sign Cody instead

I'm pretty convinced at this point Cody is gone. Both Jed and Ricketts fielded questions about re-signing him in very neutral terms, pretty much "yeah he was really good for us but we'll see what happens in FA." Compare to Hendricks, who both not only showered praise on but all but said at a minimum they'd pick his option up but would preferably try to work out a longer extension.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In a dream scenario where the Cubs got Alonso and brought back Bellinger, you can push somebody to DH. Probably either Alonso or one of Suzuki/Happ with Cody sliding over to corner OF.

Hoyer talked specifically about wanting to find a specific, long term defensive position for Morel and the only one really open for him right now is 3B, so I think they're really going to try hard to make him work there next year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bregor posted:

who the gently caress is scraeming "STOP CUBSPOSTING" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop cubsposting

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yankees posts 200
Mariners posts 150
Astros posts 800
Cubs posts 3,600
Orioles post 150
someone who is good at forums please help me mod this. my thread is dying

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tony Phillips posted:

Spend less on GOMS

no

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Forrest on Fire posted:

Throw the Astros posts in the trash

I tried but they just banged off the side.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
NL Central is officially the first full division out of the postseason, which is extremely fitting because the place was absolutely filled with loser stink. Every team but the Brewers is mostly defined by an epic collapse at some point in the season, and also there was that three month-ish period where *everybody* was losing and if one team had just managed to go like .500 they would have wildly ran away with the division some time ago.

Here's to hoping the Mets pay Counsell a shitload of well-deserved money to leave the division so I have to watch him run absolute circles around Ross slightly fewer times each season.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao of course

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1709901873765847339

lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I would love having Votto on the Cubs for a year. Also he seems to have decided he's only going to hit homeruns now, 14 of them in 65 games.

Yeah I was gonna say his plate discipline and bat speed are mostly cooked and it's weird to see Votto striking out a ton but also he did the crusty old vet slugger thing where he was just cheating for one pitch and if he got it, it was gone.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

MLB teams don't really have the roster flexibility to carry a Veteran Presence who can't hit good pitching anymore and can't play any position but first base.

Tell that to the Cubs who signed not one but two guys - one of them to actual money - who fit this bill exactly this year and then hemmed and hawed about how they can't bring up the AAA 1B OPS'ing close to 1.000 because he was blocked. :shepicide:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Matt Mervis in 27 games managed to rack up -0.4 WAR. Not saying the Cubs should sign more veteran 1b's but uh, Mervis wasn't really the answer this year. I hope he can come up next year and mash but really they ought to just sign my good friend Cody.

By this logic Anthony Rizzo wasn't the answer after he racked up -0.4 WAR after 49 games in his rookie year.

The Cubs came out of the gate pretty much saying this was going to be an in-between year where they expected to do better but probably not make the playoffs, and I still don't understand why they then didn't see it as the perfect year to trial run Mervis full time instead of begrudgingly bringing him up for a very brief stint in the middle of the season after their inexplicable crusty vet signings both predictably fell flat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wait what, why wouldn't he be draft eligible until 2024? It sounds like he'll be living in the US and going to a US university, wouldn't this make him eligible like any other "normal" prospect?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh that makes sense then, the linked ESPN article mentions he's rumored to be going to Vanderbilt which would then mean he's not a Junior until 2027. Cheers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1711944101292105939

lol Cubs not even waiting for the end of the postseason to begin the annual bloodletting of coaches.

Artix posted:

We desperately need to trade some of our infield talent for pitching and the problem is everyone else knows it. Rumor at the deadline was that everyone's asking prices for the O's was hilariously inflated because come on, you got all those prospects, you can totally give up Joey Ortiz or Jordan Westburg for our middle reliever. Real question is who's going to be available? Cease, maybe? One of Seattle's young pitchers? If we are going to break the prospect bank, we might as well swing for the fences.

Pretty much anybody on the Mets, Padres, or White Sox should be seen as 100% available since all three have made noise about slashing payroll. Hell I bet the Mets would part with Senga for an attractive prospect package at this point. If you believe in what either Wacha or Musgrove did for the Padres this year is legit they're probably going to be available too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ohtani will top out the market by a mile, followed by guys like Snell, Nola, and Gray. Urias would have been in that tier if he could stop hitting women but apparently that's just too much for him. Yamamoto is pegged as more a 2/3 guy than a true ace but he's gonna get a ton of interest because of his age. It's also possible Stroman opts out in which case he's probably in a third tier with guys like Montgomery, Giolito, and Flahrety.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

He also can't pitch until at least 2025

Oh no Ohtani will only provide 35-45 HR's and be the best hitter on my team for a year before he can go back to also being the best pitcher on my team as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
On the one hand Urias is the first ever player to violate the domestic abuse policy twice - and by all accounts the second incident was particularly heinous - so I expect MLB to come down on him like a sack of bricks and rightfully so. Nobody's throwing tons of money at a guy suspended for a season+, and we have examples of both very good players (Bauer) and very young players (Russell) getting run out of the league for this kind of poo poo.

On the other hand, Urias is both very young and very good, like top 3 Cy finish last year and just turned 26 two months ago young and good. Quite possible that once his suspension is up there will be teams willing to touch the poop, unfortunately.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The crazy thing is Judge is good enough that if he can stay healthy for a full season he can pretty much put the whole team on his back and at least eek them into a WC. It's just that he's also very rarely not hurt for a full season and as a huge dude now in his 30's that probably not going to get any better.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1712823714306240909

What the gently caress?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:rip:

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1712903098346176619?s=20

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Buxton is the kind of player I feel the most for. Absolutely has the talent to be a star, but the body just won't cooperate. He's played in just 670 games over a nine year career that started when he was 21. He's gonna be 30 next season having not played more than 100 games in a season since he was 23. It's just absolutely brutal.

Alex Reyes is another guy like that. Remember watching him pitch in 2016 and thinking god loving dammit, Cardinals have a HoF caliber ace who's just 21, this guy is gonna own us for years and then he proceeded to have so many surgeries that he's probably filled out two entire stamp cards for a free one. Even Dodgers reclamation bullshit magic couldn't fix him: as soon as they picked him up he needed another shoulder surgery that kept him out this year entirely.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rickiep00h posted:

Anyone have the old baseball gif thread?

Specifically the one where ichiro (or matsui?) blows up the moon.

This one?

the popes toes posted:

The Pitcher List title is golden: Just as I thought, Luis Perdomo is still struggling with his command...

Don't see the Ichiro gif though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh hey this is neat:

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1713664707180351531

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1713952636938891725

It wasn't money. They wanted to hire a president of baseball ops over her.

lmao what the gently caress? Did they think their GM would just meekly accept an obvious demotion after year where the Marlins got to the playoffs?

Poque posted:

for the amount of raging about David Ross here, the monkey's paw is just quivering in quiet anticipation.

Legitimately it is the one thing that gives me pause about a potential Ross firing. Girardi would be a painfully poor choice of manager for this current Cubs group.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly not sure which is worse, that Zobrist's wife cheated on him with their marriage counselor/pastor, or her cover of Benny and the Jets.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Poque standing at the metal detectors at Wrigley:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473706394009759744

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Did somebody say Hosmer??

NO

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

I was talking about my wood elf, Eric Bosmer

Cubs sign a 1 year, 200 gold contract with 1B Fargoth with a signing bonus of one engraved ring of healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bregor posted:

Okay I was gonna wait to post about the Gold Glove finalists until they were all announced, but I just saw Ian Happ is a finalist for NL LF

lol. lmao

-7 OAA, lmao. Presumably he still got the nod because he lead all qualified LF's with 12 assists.

Dansby led all MLB in OAA so if he doesn't get SS GG the voters are insane, Nico was tied for second in OAA but led all qualified 2B in assists, so I can see him winning but if he loses out to Stott that's fine.