Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

tadashi posted:

The front office needs to "Carlos Pena" some veterans, if you know what I mean.

They need to send them to the minors and then work them into a complex 3-way trade along with last year's 1st round pick to get a pitcher they've had their eye on for a couple years and some prospects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Speaking of the knuckleball, one of my favorite pitcher's to watch when I was young just passed away. :(

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...-185219597.html

Uh I might be missing a joke here but you do know Kirby threw that knuckleball as a tribute to Wakefield?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/38550277/jim-caple-former-espn-national-mlb-writer-dies-61

Jim Caple died, apparently of ALS. I used to really enjoy his articles because they were pretty lighthearted reading. He was 61.

Awwww hell :smith:

Caple was a great writer. And ALS is just a horrific way to go.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Basically what he's saying is the Yankees have few-to-no majors-ready prospects of significance and the free agent pool isn't very good either, so they are what they are for now and should focus on developing young players for lack of anything better to do.

Which mid-tier free agents do you want them to target, and about how many years/how much annual salary do you imagine it will take to sign them? Be specific.

e: oh wait you acknowledged you have no idea which free agents are even available. So we're back to having no plan.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's scored as interference--I'm not certain if it goes down as runner's interference or batter's interference, I think the former. But the result is the same either way: batter is out, it counts as an at-bat, runners have to return to their original base.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's all any major league manager's job is now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He'll get moved to a sinecure in another year or two.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Because they're the Mets

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I would refer you to Bregor's avatar for more information on that phenomenon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gonna be great watching Votto play next year for Pittsburgh, where baseball careers go to die.

I admit I'm personally pretty bummed about this. I always liked Votto, and I think it's cool when great players play their whole career for one team. That last year hitting .194/.288/.365 split between like the Giants and Guardians will just mar his b-ref page. But hey, good on him if that's what he wants. Play some more ball, make some more bank.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 6, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MLB teams don't really have the roster flexibility to carry a Veteran Presence who can't hit good pitching anymore and can't play any position but first base.

He'll get offers but it'll be from teams like the Pirates and Royals. Teams that are both bad and have no obvious first baseman already, and just want someone casual fans have heard of to put a picture of on the tickets and marketing emails.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, none of them are really any good so it would be no great loss to play Votto's decaying corpse instead.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kiermaier is 34 next year. He won't be an elite defensive CF much longer, and his bat won't play every day in a corner. Would not re-sign unless it's cheap or only for 2 years.

He has been an awesome CF glove for a decade though and not appreciated nearly enough

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I just finished watching the 1982 World Series last week. Man was the Brewers' defensive meltdown in game 7 painful to watch. And I don't even give a poo poo about the Brewers and was an infant at the time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Would be really weird for a Japanese superprospect to go to college in Tennessee but what I do I know

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

We just saw the high water mark of the Orioles under this owner

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bregor posted:

Oh man I'm actually starting to feel bad for Yankees fans

What the hell is wrong with you

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Be that as it may, there is never any call for feeling sorry for Yankees fans. Never ever ever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Yankees won one (1) World Series during WW2 and had their two weakest seasons in a 35 year stretch in 1944 and 1945

The rest of the post is good and I co-sign it, though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ok that’s even dumber than I thought

“You made the playoffs for the first time in decades! Enjoy a demotion!”

I *think* the POBO thing came about as a way of de facto firing her (because obviously she'll resign) after she wouldn't shut up about needing to spend more money.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

lmao what the gently caress? Did they think their GM would just meekly accept an obvious demotion after year where the Marlins got to the playoffs?

No, they expected and wanted her to resign. Adding a layer above you and pointedly not considering you for the position is a very standard way of letting an executive know your services are no longer required and your resignation will be accepted, all over the corporate world.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 16, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bregor posted:

That one year Rafael Palmeiro won GG at 1B while mostly playing DH all season was the tipping point for me. I still do like to see the occasional wtf nomination/win though.

My favorite part about that kerfuffle was Bill James commenting that if presidential voting worked like gold glove voting, Donald Trump would end up being elected president

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cashman knows where all the bodies are buried

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

An awesome pitcher from the 1890s named John Clarkson once bought a huge silver belt buckle and polished the hell out of it and wore it on the mound, trying to reflect the sunlight into the batter's eyes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Red posted:

Is San Diego a "keep throwing money in the hole forever until we win" type situation, or is the gravy train being shut down if they don't actually win soon?

Articles made the rounds a month or two ago where in ownership suggested they were going to slash payroll this winter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

gently caress ALS.

I'm so sorry :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Intruder posted:

This series was proof that going 7 doesn't make it a good series because there were only two games that were remotely competitive

I can't believe the Rangers got away with starting Scherzer's corpse in game 7

Congrats to the world champion Arizona Diamondbacks

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why would Buck want that job

The Angels are going to be terrible next year

Because if he is offered it, it'll be the only offer he gets, most likely.

Buck is exactly what the Angels need right now, as long as they remember to fire him after 2 years. He may be backward but dude knows how to get a team playing proper baseball

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I thought it was going to be about the Phillies

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chemistry can definitely be overstated but I also do not believe a team whose best and most prominent player is Manny Machado will ever win anything.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

howe_sam posted:

The Red Sox have apparently offered the head of baseball ops job to...Craig Breslow???

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1716981996948197684

Well have fun working for Alex Cora, I guess

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I know statistical clustering and there's no such thing as hot and cold streaks etc. etc., but Castellanos has always had long stretches where he just feels like an automatic strikeout anytime he comes up with runners on. He happened to hit one of those the second half of the series.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It always mystifies me how many mouthbreathing fans go off like THESE GUYS ARE ALL CHOKERS, GET RID OF THEM ALL like losing a hard fought 7 game playoff series is a moral failing. Like, you are aware that the other team is also good and also doing their damnedest to win, right? They don't just like show up and win or lose based on your team's fort rolls.

Like Craig Kimbrel isn't very good but it's not because he doesn't have The Will To Win, it's because he has a very straight fastball and a knuckle curve that's hardly ever a strike so batters can just lay off it and sit on the fastball

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 25, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He helped Castellanos break Spencer Strider so that makes him cool and good

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In a division so bad it made the Cubs look good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Astros are going to hire Brad Ausmus and I'm going to laugh for a week straight

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes what the Yankees need is definitely another DH

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Soto is already a pretty bad fielder and he's 24. In another couple years he'll be a really bad fielder.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

euphronius posted:

What could the Phillies even get for Turner ? Not much probably nothing

Someone to take maybe 75% of the contract with the Phillies eating the rest, in exchange for future considerations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the outfield in Petco is huge which doesn't help him. But he is not a good fielder.