Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v96cJoC-Lkk
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Miz Kriss posted:

Pardon my complete ignorance, and this might be because I watched way too much Ted Lasso, but is there a reason why baseball doesn’t have a day to day assistant coach(es) like both versions of football? Or is that why the 1b/3b managers are for?
The 1st and 3rd base coaches do often have other responsibilities, like setting the infield/outfield defense. There's also the bench coach. The Red Sox list Varitek as the "Game Planning Coordinator/Catching Coach". But I also dimly recall reading that MLB has limits to how much personal you can have in the dugout during the game.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/bmccarthy32/status/1709236992519901409

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

euphronius posted:

Urias and Gray (33 already) and ... not much else.

Assuming you arent signing Ohtani to pitch.

edit

I would not sign Snell to a huge deal

The big name is at the bottom of the list, Yamamoto.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

live with fruit posted:

It's a little sad that Click went from an awful work environment (apparently) in Houston to apply for an awful work environment (apparently) in Boston. You'd think his former colleague Bloom would say something to him.

Cheer up, "being considered for" is a long way from getting the job.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently Kim Ng also declined to interview with the Red Sox for their GM position

Just hire Eddie Romero already Red Sox.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Red Sox have apparently offered the head of baseball ops job to...Craig Breslow???

https://twitter.com/jcmccaffrey/status/1716981996948197684

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well have fun working for Alex Cora, I guess

Fenwayology aside, apparently Cora's had almost no involvement in the process, and if he really did have ownership's ear to such an extent, why is he in an expiring deal?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bandire posted:

Full game? None of the archive or mlb.tv links seem to want to work for me either right now. If you just want to watch the condensed game, you can just find it on the scores page or the team's schedule and click the Wrap link and there will be a Condensed Game button.

I can call up archived full games from this past season in the mlb.tv app, but not through the website.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nodoze posted:

Verdugo is a JAG and Jeter Downs is awful. The Red Sox absolutely jacked that trade up even with getting rid of Price

Verdugo is a knucklehead who hasn't really panned out like it was hoped he would, and Jeter Downs fell into an absolute hole, but Conner Wong looked like a perfectly cromulent starting catcher this year, and that's something?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pobrecito posted:

Can someone explain to me how Triston Casas is a finalist for rookie of the year beyond playing in Boston?

He's 14th among AL rookie position players in fWAR (and 4 AL rookie pitchers with higher fWAR, too). He's got garbage defense, but even if you wanted to look at it on a purely offensive metric he's 5th among qualified AL rookies in wRC+. I don't pay for baseball-reference, but he only seems to fair marginally better seeing as only 4 players above him on the fangraphs list drop down and one ties him. So maybe tied for 9th in bWAR.

baseball savant loves him for one thing

He had a fairly nuclear second half, until he got hurt, and he's not going to win so why stress?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Also, Casas is a weird dude who's cool as heck.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/bradfo/status/1722611926952481251
Verdugo for Torres who says no?

drat, that's a good get for Los Tigres.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Absolutely not. Verdugo is a barely average hitter, below average everywhere else, and seems like a trashy guy.

To Verdugo's credit after the 2022 season he said that he wanted to improve his defense, and he did. Which meant for a moment it looked like he's finally put it all together. Then he cratered in the second half, got benched a couple times and remains seemingly as callow as ever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I always forget the Yankees reacquired YES.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've always felt that one of the Kinsler/Pedroia/Utley triumvirate of second basemen was going to make the hall, and I don't think Pedroia had quite enough career to get in.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Yes and he was still overrated because he played at the same time as A-Rod and was considered his equal which was nonsense.

This isn't to take anything away from Jeter. He's at worst top 10 ever at his position.

Nomah was better too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lofton, Jones, Edmonds, and Damon all have better JAWS than Williams

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure if it's more or less reputable than a sketchy Chinese website, but eBay has a ton of Maddox jerseys available.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

What are the Red Sox doing?

Removing a left-handed bat from the lineup so they go out and get Soto or Ohtani

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I never heard of this dude or his company

But still better than Angelos' lol

Fun facts about The Carlyle Group. The Bin Laden family owned a "small" investment in the firm from 1995-2001 when they liquified their position with the company for obvious reasons. That and the fact that George HW Bush was an advisor to the company made them a boogyman in Fahrenheit 911, and one of their former CEOs is current Virginia governor Glenn Youngkin.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Shohei is signing with the...Ducks?
https://twitter.com/shoheisaveus/status/1733485746491953482

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I was fairly ho-hum about it until Pedro showed up, and then it got good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/1735051400281821195

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

One of the wildest things about the Mookie trade is that people will still defend it and say Mookie was dead set on testing the FA market!

Iirc, it was something Mookie talked about a fair bit, and it was in keeping with how he'd conducted his entire career to that point.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, sure, but then he signed an extension!

The conventional wisdom was that he was looking for a top of the market deal (Trout money in other words) when he was negotiating with Boston in the winter of 2019. Boston made him an offer that was good, but not that, he said no thanks, and instead of making a counteroffer they traded him. Then Covid happened and due to the overall uncertainty that caused (would there be a 2020 season, what would the economics be etc etc), signed his extension with the Dodgers. If that's right or just a combination of cope and Red Sox FO misinfo, I dunno.

I understand, but don't agree with, the Red Sox FO mindset that you do your damndest to avoid big money/long-term commitments to players because they're dreadfully inefficient. But I will say, it's pretty dang galling that Mookie wound up signing for what was basically Boston's reported offer with 2 years tacked on.

Then again, the rotation was basically falling apart in 2019 and having Mookie would not have kept Chris Sale off that bicycle. Either way, the biggest sin was that they spent the saved money poorly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Gotta assume Boston is paying pretty much all of the freight there.

$17 million is the number I saw

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

elentar posted:

Grissom's bat should play perfectly fine in Fenway, it's just a matter of where you play him since short really isn't an option, but he'll do OK eventually at 2B and can maybe spell at 3B or LF

Second has been a glaring hole for Boston ever since Machado destroyed Pedroia's knee.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Story is at short

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ultimately I think the Red Sox FO really didn't think much of Xander's D at short going forward.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Imanaga seems gives up more dingers/9 than Kikuchi did in Japan and that seems rough!

And from what I gather that number rarely goes down when you move from Japan to MLB.

That being said, I'm still a little peeved the Red Sox didn't get him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees used to not sign assholes on purpose.

:allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Allegedly yes
According to Alex Speier, citing "sources" the Red Sox offered more up front guaranteed money, but his deal with Cubs has the potential to be more lucrative
https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1745857010824777937

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Imo Felix is closer than Pedroia to getting in. I love the dude, but I don't think Petey's peak was quite good enough.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

live with fruit posted:

The Red Sox don't get enough poo poo for letting Beltre walk so they could sign Adrian Gonzalez.

In hindsight Beltre was certainly better, but at the time González was younger, and it's not like he stunk when he was in Boston (he put up nearly 10 bWAR in a season and change). So in the moment letting Beltre walk and trading for Gonzalez was a defensible move. Plus, if the Red Sox kept Beltre then not only does the Punto trade with LA not happen, but Rizzo doesn't wind up in Chicago.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bawfuls posted:

There are at least two clues in that clip that these guys haven’t paid any attention to baseball in about 20 years

Baseball ended in 2004 when the Red Sox won.

One of those goobers was part of NESN'S color commentator rotation for the 2022 season. Which honestly says more about the state of the NESN broadcast is a post-Remy world.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

How can you tell it's been a rough offseason in Boston? Red Sox bloggers are advocating for public ownership of sports teams.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, if they just said "we think the asking price for Snell and Montgomery is stupid, but hey we signed Casas to a ten year deal" I'd be cool with that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sorry to distract from TroughChat, but Dave Roberts was on the PosCast this week and had some shocking news about the Dodgers. Mookie Betts, not a great hugger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dave Roberts Remembers Some Guys needs to be a recurring feature somewhere.