Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Intruder posted:

Why pay a lot of money for one really good player when you could use the same money pocket half that money and get 4 mediocre players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

This seems like really weird timing to do this while the Astros are still in the playoffs.

Astros Part Ways With AGM Bill Firkus, Farm Director Sara Goodrum

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'd love to see the Rangers bring back Montgomery. Their rotation next year is made up primarily of guys who's arms are at various stages of detachment.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Chillmatic posted:

How do y'all watch full replays of past games? The only thing I'm finding on mlb.tv is audio replays which I don't want, or condensed replays. I signed up for the $4/month thing, but apparently that's only for live audio.

Like...how is this easier for NFL games than than baseball. :negative:

Full game? None of the archive or mlb.tv links seem to want to work for me either right now. If you just want to watch the condensed game, you can just find it on the scores page or the team's schedule and click the Wrap link and there will be a Condensed Game button.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Intruder posted:

rangers looking to complete their revenge on the astros

Just when you thought you were done with ultra old school gut-based managing...

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

STAC Goat posted:

I’m feeling pretty lousy but I just felt a lot better randomly remembering that John Rocker once went on Survivor, his his identity by saying he was John Wetteland, was quickly called out as a bigot and threatened to hurt people, somehow blamed Obama for him getting voted out or something, and then his girlfriend quit after she was caught stealing food and said it was because people judge her for being hot.

That gave me a laugh.

And somehow John Wetteland might have been the worse human of the two.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1719434060991221841

That's cool. The Rockets and the Astros banded together to buyout their ATT SW broadcaster and relaunch as "Space City Sports", I don't know if other cities/teams did that as well, but the article here is referring to teams who don't have a local broadcast home right now

That's pretty cool. I really hope this RSN poo poo is solved by next season because I flat out refuse to give Sinclair any of my money.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bregor posted:

I was anti 13- or 14-man pitching staffs due to endless LOOGY/ROOGY use but with the three batter minimum I don’t really care that much any more. Openers are fine. Protecting a guy from the third time through the order is fine.

I agree with all of this. The three batter minimum for mid inning pitching changes is great. Now if we could get rid of the new inning > pinch hitter > pitching change bullshit, that would be great. That's probably only a post season/Bochy thing though.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

A ball/strike challenge system seems like chaos to me.

How far away could we possibly be from umpires getting augmented reality glasses that just superimpose the strike zone? I've got to think we have the tech now, and that might be a good enough compromise.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Don't get me wrong, I am completely in favor of fully automated strike zone. I just think there's a lot of internal inertia to overcome to actually get there any time soon, and most of it is placating umpires.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Arlington is what it is, but I do enjoy that the parade route goes right in front of the Death Star.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Dameius posted:

Dallas and Houston both had white flight. Houston's response was to say gently caress that and just swallow the flight and keep bloating out. Dallas took a different approach.

I'm not sure its all that different. I bought a house in Little Elm (basically Denton) in 2021 because the housing market was utter loving chaos at the time. Its still just non-stop construction up here almost 3 years later. They are determined to pave and suburbanize every square inch all the way to Oklahoma at this point.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sab0921 posted:

Are you saying you dont think Jesus Christ could hit a curve ball?

Okay Harris. Let's not start a holy war here.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Its that time of year where every agent leaks to the press that the Rangers are a possibility to drive up the bidding.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I remember Benji Gil coming up in 1993 heralded as a huge prospect and franchise savior. I want to say I was even at his debut game or at least one very shortly after. What a massive bust he turned out to be.

Edit: Also massive lol that I am now getting SPRING TRAINING PRESALE emails from the Rangers. Who the gently caress buys Spring Training tickets in November?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

I'm noting that we're all fine with this so I don't want to hear any "i always hated that guy" poo poo in two years when we get mad about a lineup

Its only a matter of time before he does something weird. The amount of times Bochy penciled in the worst hitter in the lineup in the 3 spot was maddening.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bees x1000 posted:

Can I be a new billionaire? I promise to be cool and good. I'll buy a baseball team and spend lots of money on it.

Sorry, its just not possible to be a cool and good billionaire. Once you get a billion dollars, something breaks in your brain. You'll be funding "anti-woke" legislation and taking Clarence Thomas on vacation with you within a year.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Sydin posted:

Just about eight hours if you gun it through some of the more desolate desert sections.

lmao that the A's couldn't relocate to San Jose because SF refused to cede an inch of their territorial rights (which were, naturally, originally ceded to them by the A's back in the day) but are now apparently going to let them bum off their stadium for three years while Nevada's tax dollars build the A's a stadium.

The new stadium in Vegas isn't expected to be done until the 2028 season either. They are out of the Coliseum after 2024, so they basically chose to spend 3 full seasons as baseball hobos rather than take the better deal Oakland was offering. Dumb as hell.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The one dude I remember who could rake and had no business at SS was Michael Young.

Then he moved to 3rd and was meh but still could hit.

Yeah he moved to short out of necessity after they dealt Arod for Alfonso Soriano, but had no loving business playing there. He even got a comedy gold glove in 2008 just due to his reputation as being a good guy I guess? The "past a diving Michael Young" (padmy) call became a meme in Rangers circles.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The idea that Ohtani was even considering the Rangers seemed like bullshit to me anyway. Just sign with the Dodgers already so we can all move on.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

Ohtani, please. Come to the Rangers. The shittiest old white dudes on the radio will be dead soon, it'll be okay.

Eric Nadel is a treasure even if he had incredibly dumb opinions on Darvish.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The present value of $10m a year today instead of making $450k-ish for the next 3 or 4 years is huge. If he was smart with this money (lol), the growth of it would probably offset a lot of potential income loss in years 6 through 8. Plus it sets him up for life if he flames out or loses a leg in a snow plow accident or something. As a player you take this deal 100% of the time, even if it potentially caps your earnings 6 or 7 years from now.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

rickiep00h posted:

I'm just gonna keep a screenshot of this to show my dumbass relatives when they get pissy.

Here's another good one. Violent crime is as low as its been here since the early 70's, but who needs facts, right?
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-r...lent-crime_02c/

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The big brained Rangers solved this problem by building their stadium in a concrete and suburban wasteland.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That is, however, on brand for the Dodger's pitching staff of late.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Alternative medical facts.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Well Played Mauer posted:

Found the context elsewhere. It’s to limit the downtime from bringing in yet another pitcher after the original pitcher spent the time between innings warming up on the mound, which averaged an extra 3 minutes of commercial time. It’s rare enough that it’s a nothingburger either way.

At least twice in the World Series, Lovullo sent up a pinch hitter to start an inning, and Bochy immediately replaced the pitcher before facing a batter that inning. Obviously it worked out for my team, but it was an annoying waste of time.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Forrest on Fire posted:

Do they need infield depth or will they also try to play him at DH

He can play pretty much every position except for the one where he has to hold a bat!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Intruder posted:

When did hats get so expensive? I was looking and even snapbacks are $30+ what the gently caress

I have no idea, but it blew my mind when a buddy found me a Peagle hat over the summer and told me they were 45 goddamn American dollars.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bregor posted:

Starlin Castro auto-reply engage

What's the story behind this incredible gif I have somehow never seen?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Rangers have something like $100m in limbo while the corpse of Ballys flails around in bankruptcy court. The proceedings got delayed one more time to January 19th, and that poo poo needs to get resolved quick before Montgomery signs elsewhere.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I for one am still very happy with my team's World Series ring, and I can't wait to vote against Ted Cruz again.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Since we are posting these:

https://twitter.com/mlbpipeline/status/1746905687471321205?s=46

Can't leave out my man Curley Martha.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bawfuls posted:

The geezer who didn’t vote for Beltre has doubled down over Zoom

https://twitter.com/sideretiredpod/status/1745938655468826711

I know the point of this poo poo is to stir up discussion, but his hall of fame would have maybe 5 people in it. The only remotely defensible reason to not have Beltre on your ballot is that you had 11 people you wanted to vote for and knew he'd get in anyway.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Amazon is already trying to split off and monetize Prime Video by introducing ads and then charging for an ad free tier. This will almost certainly be something they charge for. I'm fine with that honestly. I was just hoping whatever solution we end up with means none of my money is going to Sinclair, but that might be too much to ask for in the near future.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

duomo posted:

The Orioles scheduled their pride night for when the Rangers are in town

It would be really funny if all teams were to coordinate this so that every city the Rangers played in this year had their pride night when the Rangers were there. Maybe my dumb team will stop being dumb, but I won't hold my breath.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Allegedly some teams were scared to sign anyone until the whole Diamond Sports bankruptcy got sorted out as well.

The Rangers have $111m at stake in this Diamond bullshit, and they haven't done anything of consequence this offseason. I've gotta think that's why. They really need some bullpen help and another starter that can contribute before August.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

How bout some funny ejection reasons

List incomplete or invalid. This is Adrian Beltre erasure.

I will post this every chance I get.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Yeah Gallo was on the verge of figuring it out and in the midst of great season when he was traded. The Yankees broke his spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

I love Adrian Beltre so dang much

"No I'm going to let it go to voicemail"

https://www.mlb.com/video/adrian-beltre-gets-hof-call