Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Stephen A: You know I believe women

Skip: Absolutely

Stephen A: BUT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

euphronius posted:

I mean Scott rolen was a fine player but him in over the other guys is really stupid and just kind of about kills the entire institution

Spot the Philly fan

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Jesus gently caress thank god he didn't go to the goddamn Cubs

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I am feeling for you mdemone, as my Pynchon/McCarthy homie and also as somebody who just over ten years ago watched my all-time baseball hero, the man who literally turned me into a fan of the sport overnight, Albert Pujols sign with...the Los Angeles Angels. It's like poetry, it rhymes etc.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I already got my heart broken by a girl in Chicago this year, I don't need this additional suffering

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://x.com/makenna_m19/status/1738057012418912312?s=46

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

more falafel please posted:

am I the only cubsposter who is gonna root for the dodgers? I wanna see ohtani win like, several.

I'm a Cardinals fan whose second-favorite team has always been the Dodgers (Boys of Summer as a teen plus the most classic uniform in the game imo) so here's to being strange bedfellows

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Whoa, congrats Baltimore fans.

https://x.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1752470568442450047?s=20

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

No Safe Word posted:

good riddance Angelos but wooof the last thing I'd say anyone wants to see is "private equity acquires <thing you like>" because that has a 0% success rate

I think the Los Angeles Dodgers are doing okay

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
If I was mistaken my bad but yeah I'm personally having a hard time seeing the difference, the big thing is that sports teams are in no way comparable to the typical industries that PE likes to slash and burn its way through, they are genuine money--printing machines, and the O's have virtually nothing to lose because we know how noxious the Angelos are

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'll take David Eckstein. He wins and plays the game the right way

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sydin posted:

Finally back in Chicago and I am stoked to go to multiple Wrigley games this year. I am absolutely going to be that rear end in a top hat who calls in sick so I can go drink Schlitz in the bleachers.

Looking forward to hopefully making this year my first Wrigley trip (Cards fan).

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
drat I missed screamo chat, listen to combatwoundedveteran and pg99

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Well Played Mauer posted:

Are there other examples of top 10 players in the history of a sport being content to just wallow in the mediocrity around them and generally operate as under the radar as possible? Trout could have pulled in Ohtani money in free agency and picked any team in the league to get it.

Like could you imagine Kobe just chilling on the Pelicans or whatever for his entire career?

Connor McDavid is doing this right now

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Popete posted:

The Oilers have been pretty good though, they've been in the post season the past 3 years including making the conference finals.

Yeah it's definitely not the same level of dire but it's more to say that McDavid could've gone anywhere and formed his own superteam and he stuck in...Edmonton

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ahh yes the land of super teams: The NHL

it's the wrong phrase but I would certainly think McDavid given his rep among other players would be able to leverage that into a better situation than Edmonton is all.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Guinness rules, Malort is in fact that bad don't listen to these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Crying laughing at that picture