Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Walked posted:

I really wish the Knuckleball documentary was available for streaming.

It covers RA Dickey and Tim Wakefield and is just phenomenal. Wanted to show my wife the other day and found it's literally unavailable to stream.

It's absolutely fantastic with the small annoying flaw of being put together a year too early. Dickey pulling a CY Young award the season after they finished it was crazy and would have made such a good ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

This is so comically silly and empty I love the Hell out of it.

RUMOR: Tony Phillips is expected to think it would be cool if they were interested.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Hola, Amigos.

Long time since I hot stoved at ya.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1709401799923298431

Rationale: Kimbrel hates having a guy on second and having to look at him

Jansen did basically just that a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJaIoryOXYw

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Spend less on GOMS

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Randy’s mom should ground him.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

more falafel please posted:

x posting from cspam politoons thread

Joke stealing jerks.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Red posted:

As a Von Hayes enthusiast, I condemn this joke

Dude, nobody knows who Von Hayes is, man. Relax.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
A belated b-day gift from my wife that I got today.

Flash back to September:

Give me gift ideas.
I want a Bobson Dugnutt shirt.
Who's that?
Baseball player.
Mariners?
No. Not really sure what team he plays for, actually
I'm confused
Flash forward 20 seconds as I try to explain.
I will buy it for you if you shut up.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just wanted to thank baseball for being the source of so many cherished memories with my father. Take your kids to games, play home run derby in the back yard, or even just talk baseball with them. They'll have a lifetime of treasured memories to draw from, even after you're gone.

gently caress ALS.

Absolutely my most sincere condolences.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Explosionface posted:

You never know the last time you get to have a conversation with a loved one. Make sure they count.

The last time I got to watch a Packers game with my dad was on my 46th birthday. Was really cool. Then Aaron Rodgers got sacked and broke his collarbone and he spent the rest of the game pissed off about it. Whoops. The last time I talked to him on the phone was a week later following an expected rear end kicking from the Saints. It was clear the end was coming soon and I've regretted not calling daily ever since.

gently caress cancer. This guy was rad as Hell.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Juan Soto is old as poo poo and turned 25 yesterday.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The one time I went to Arizona was to visit Flagstaff and it felt like we were half way there before we actually got out of the Phoenix suburb hellscape.

I'm on team McMagic here.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kirios posted:

Plus Northern Arizona / Southern Utah is the most beautiful part of the country.

bees x1000 posted:

Moab expansion team

Hell yeah. Spent Spring break 1994 in Moab with some friends, some mountain bikes, some acid and a lot of weed. A++ would go again other than it would feel incredibly silly to do acid at 52 years old.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

mcmagic posted:

This take is so bad that it makes all your yankee hating look reasonable.

Steve Irwin's widow hates Rays less than you.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Human umps calling balls and strikes are the manual transmission of baseball.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I was a sophomore in high school for the 1987 World Series.

Off the top of my head, all I really remember about it was liking that the Twin won and the HOMER HANKY.

Huh. There were some cool World Series when I was in high school.

Red Sox / Mets with the Buckner nonsense.
Twins / Cards - though not much stands out.
Dodgers / A's - Gibson's home run was on my 17th birthday.
Giants / A's - big rear end Earthquake.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Found a pitcher at 14 seasons but wouldn't have guessed it without google. From the hint - I assume it's the right answer.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Just need to point out that Christy Matthewson is one weird single start with the Reds (LOL - a complete game 8 run WIN) from being the answer with 17 seasons under John McGraw.

Edit : VVVV - well poo poo. I guess I forgot McGraw start date there.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 1, 2023

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Still funny/sad that the answer isn't some player under Connie Mack considering the lack of free agency and him being the owner/manager. But whoops - every few years it was time to sell everyone off.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bregor posted:

Oh sorry I meant he was the manager. But I was still wrong!

If Sparky had gone from the Reds to the Tigers by late 1977 instead of mid 1979 - He would have had Lou Whittaker's entire career. And all of Trammell had he stayed through 1996.

He didn't, but he woulda.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

Mariners fans remaining hopeful even though they just dumped Geno for a miniscule relief in payroll is the one that seems like self harm

It's like buying a lotto ticket. I know they're not signing him, but it's fun to day dream about so until they announce the Dodgers contract...

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Wish Lou made it, but that's balanced out by Joe West not making it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Popete posted:

Everyone's trying to follow the Braves model to get players for dirt cheap.

Bregor posted:

Scott Kingery says hello

Evan White says hello as well!

Wait. I'm getting a report here. Ummmm.

Evan White has said goodbye.

Kirios posted:

Oh thank God Mariner fans can finally stop acting like Kelenic is good now.

Now apparently it's time for everyone else to for some reason. Dude's always on the cusp of figuring it out. Never has for more than what? A month at a time? Of course he likely will turn into something decent cause the baseball Gods are rude and LOL M's is gonna LOL M's one way or another. Not really happy that they're clearly just salary dumping twice now with no known plan, but other than a general sense that Eugenio seems like a cool dude, his impending fall off is even more likely than the chance that Kelenic never turns the corner.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kirios posted:

I made the joke a couple of weeks ago that the Mariners FO hates their fan base.

They only care about 54% of us.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

That's if he hits his absolute ceiling.

And if he goes Singleton/Kingery/White - lol. Congrats, kid.

This contract is not exactly Albies v2.0.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

mdemone posted:

I could get this deal done for the Angels today. It's actually very simple.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

There's also the basic "if I can't trust you to not follow this simple request of not running your mouth about something so easy you are 100% going to blab about actually important stuff".

Dave Roberts standing there with a bowl full of brown M&Ms like a dumbass.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

This Mariners stuff is so depressing. Like, why should I care about this team winning if they don't even care? It makes me not want to follow baseball news at all.

M's CEO Howard Lincoln one drat year after they won 116 drat games posted:

“The goal of the Mariners is not to win a World Series. It is to field a competitive team year after year, to put itself in a position to win a World Series and hope at some point that happens.”

They didn't make the playoffs for 20 years. Whoops.

I had a glimmer of hope when Nintendo sold the team, but meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I can't switch teams, so I just hope that they stumble and or bumble into a title before I die and try to get as much peripheral enjoyment out of the sport as possible along the way.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 6, 2023

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

If you want me to bring you back, they sold a declining 3B and a 4th OF with some potential.

Unless you were banking on Teoscar coming back and suddenly being 25-30% better they haven't really kneecapped anything yet.

We'll see how the rest of winter plays out but the 2024 Mariners' success was not doomed by moving on from those 3 guys.

I honestly agree fully on Eugenio and Kelenic. But I have a hard time convincing myself that they'll do much of anything with whatever money they saved. It's pretty hard to get optimistic about the M's most of the time and the recentish "aiming for .540" poo poo is just disheartening. Go for it, you assholes.

I kinda wonder if they had won a title in 2001 if I would have cashed out on paying attention to baseball in the 20 years that followed.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

The rumor is the Jays offered him $600m so are you sure you wanted them to do what it takes to get him

Any rumors about the final number at this point are just that. It could be exactly $600M in the end and if I was a Jays fan:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I want him to sign with Toronto and I want them to report the numbers in Canadian Dollars to make it sound even crazier.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/939209646807703552

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Eight, Eh million a year confirmed. Jesus that's a lot of money.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Kelly comics CHAOS ha ha YES! dot jpg

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
lol. Shohei is absolutely not signing with Morosi.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Mom, can we have Ohtani?
We have Ohtani at home.

Ohtani at (his) home:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

I wish the jays would do something

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
There's room for drat near everyone in this club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

zoux posted:

Sir that is ol Hoss Radbourne and it's the first The Finger captured on film

He pulled it off twice - the other as the OG Billy Ripken gently caress face.

Fifty-Nine in '84 is a really good read:
https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Nine-84-Radbourn-Barehanded-Baseball/dp/0061825867