Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Luiz Arraez has unfortunately not hit .400. The potential has not come to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Redeye Flight posted:

People have the expectation that Minnesota sports fans don't turn out for some reason and it SURE didn't show tonight. That crowd was alive.

Minnesota fans absolutely show up when the teams are competitive. We just don't have time for Ricketts-esque bullshit of running any ol' squad out there.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bregor posted:

Tampa you had ONE JOB

Oh well, pretty great round otherwise

Only team in the AL I was truly *worried* about as a Twins fan, so I'm happy. That's not to say we're gonna cruise into the World Series or anything, but I think we're capable of beating anyone that's left.

Wait I'm just getting reports that the Orioles are in fact still in and also very good and beat us in the regular season so maybe won't get very far.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Moooooom! My brother is cheating at the video game!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I love that last line. If anything hit em where they're vulnerable: the superstitious gland.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

maffew buildings posted:

they should have a name more representative of their history. I propose the Atlanta Racist Traitor Losers

I refer to them as The Franchise Currently Plying Its Trade in Cobb County. It is a framing I have stolen from author John Green, and based on the fact that Milton-Keynes stole Wimbledon's football team and named themselves the MK Dons in attempt to keep Wimbledon's fans. (And then Wimbledon started a new community-/fan-owned team and the Wimbledon fans absolutely loathe MK for trying to buy a fandom.)

So yeah, a team with no name playing somewhere they didn't originate, trying to cash in on a fanbase.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Byron Buxton posted:

Though Byron Buxton homered as part of a live batting practice session at Minute Maid Park during Friday’s workout, he remained off the roster after having expressed continued uncertainty about whether his bothersome right knee might act up if he were to be active for the series.

“Just day to day,” Buxton said. “Depends on how you feel. Don’t know how certain stuff’s going to act up so it’s just one of those things where like I said, don’t get too high, don’t get too low and stay even-keeled, stay positive.”

I hate this goddamn sport.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

I loved that even on the most heartbreakingly emotional day of his life Prince Fielder still took time to touch Beltre's head

I think this was the day when I truly became invested in baseball again. Like when it became a thing humans do, rather than some weird othered abstraction, despite having played baseball as a kid.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

AHEM.

Creed's "Bullets" rips harder than it has any right to. Just, uh, don't watch the video. Scott Stapp is a ridiculous weirdo, but they had some great moments outside his Jesus complex.

Korn's first 3 albums were amazing, and LB's first two could be condensed into one very good one.

After the initial wave of numetal's popularity, it turned into a bunch of turgid poo poo for sure, but even the bands that people poo poo on the most had great first or second albums. They were absolutely one-trick ponies though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

You really think Patrick Bateman would like some losers like the Twins?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I just love thinking about him doing the Huey Lewis monologue about Korn.

It would be a very strange movie if set in the 90s. Functionally the same, but all the references and technologies are exactly 10 years newer.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I don't actually care about the Astros. They have employed some great players on both sides of the game, and Trashstros is peak cheating hilarity because it's SO. loving. SILLY. From the basic-bitch level of the tech to the photo evidence of them tearing poo poo down in the clubhouse, the whole thing is just so hilariously brazen and meat-headed.

I'll take them over The Yankees any day (a team where, again, I don't actually dislike the players), but for the most part they're an away team I barely pay attention to outside the division I should pay attention to (but don't really--naming current Royals players is pretty hard for me.)

MANAGEMENT of the Astros on the other hand, gently caress those people. The front office? gently caress em. Owners? gently caress em. Dusty? Seems like a nice guy but can't manage pitching to save a single run.

But this is an outlook I have toward basically every team. The players are mostly good and fine. But organizationally, baseball is rotten and I hate it.

/rant

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

We'll never know, because the Astros cheated in the World Series and denied us a fair contest.

Hopefully this is the only time I'll say this, but this is exactly why people don't give a poo poo. "We'll never know, except in this one case I know exactly what would have happened."

Baseball is random as gently caress even when it's fixed. Y'all might have still lost. The game could have gone completely differently. That's why we play the games.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

I don't care.

Ah, see, here's the problem.

Even so, I'm going to point out that it's not a matter of JUST the Astros. What if the Dodgers play the Yankees? What if Kershaw didn't have it going that day against Random Team X? The whole point is that you can't just HAND THE SERIES TO THE DODGERS just because the Astros DID UNEQUIVOCALLY CHEAT, WHICH THEY DID.

They totally cheated. MLB should have given the team sanctions that meant something. But not only do we NOT KNOW what would have happened had they NOT cheated (it turns out those pitchers were still really good, and those hitters for the most part are still really good sans bangs) we ESPECIAPLY don't know what would have happened had they played some other team.

You can't say Kershaw should get accolades he still might not have gotten just because. The *whole thing* is thrown into question. *Including* what Kershaw "would" have done.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Welp. Gonna hitch my wagon to the Dodgers, Snakes, or Phillies. Ideally one of the latter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

It's wild that kids were chewing on gum that was meant to simulate chewing tobacco

And still are I think? I think it's still around

Absolutely is. My nephew loves it because you can get it in weird flavors that stain your mouth.

Yes, he is 11.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I want to see Schwarbombs as long as possible.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Goon-run GM by committee has a pretty good record in OOTB.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I, for one, am excited to see Mitch "Garv-sauce" Garver possibly pick up a World Series Champion Ring.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tatsuta Age posted:

I'm just glad 3 of my least liked teams didn't make it either and will enjoy the low stakes baseball fun!

I just hope everyone has fun (except Aroldis Chapman)!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hey. Y'all.

The World Series starts tomorrow.

Only seven more games of baseball, at most, for the year.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

could the ratings BE any lower?

:rip:

:perfect:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kirios posted:

I honestly don’t know who’s worse between Creed and Nickleback.

Nickelback and it's not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Imagine loving creed that much

You're going the wrong direction there. I hate Nickelback that much.