Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Waaaaay back in the day, MSPaint threads were the cool thing to do and I had a handful of moderately successful threads about my adventures working in a hospital ICU. Many of my stories involved trips to the morgue, but this one is special, because this is about the time I came into contact with a PRESENCE!

The images are long gone, but here's my original story as posted around 2003. CW: some fatphobia, general grossness, and a post that would have fit in GBS in the early 2000s:

A much younger Soonmot posted:

Far from being scary, I’ve discovered that ghosts are more annoying than anything else. Just the other night, I took a trip down to the morgue in order to get a cart to transport a body downstairs with. Normally this is a happy time for me, I still haven’t beaten my corpse race record of eleven minutes, but I’m getting closer with every death.

Anyway, tonight there was a family lining the upstairs hallways as their loved one wasn’t doing too well, so pushing a body down the hallway at mach 3 was just out of the question, leaving me time to actually organize the bodies down in the morgue. It’s funny really, you have people in the hospital who have no problem dealing with piss, poo poo, vomit, cancer, amputation, bed sores so deep you can see bone… all of these horrible things, yet the second a person dies, they freak the poo poo out. It’s funny really. What this means, is that invariably when I go downstairs, all the empty morgue carts are in the back, while all the bodies are in the front. It’s up to me to do a quick rearrangement, so that the bodies are hanging out by the wall and the empty carts are easily accessible. It’s sort of like that puzzle game where you have to rearrange all the little slidey things in order to form the picture. Except, you know, with dead people. And they usually don’t make kitten pictures.

I should have known something supernatural was going on, as it was eerily cold inside the 20x20-refrigerated room. Much cooler than the outside air, and cold equals ghosts. I had set about rearranging everything, keeping all the bodies inside as I brought the empty carts forward, and all went well. I did it in 5 moves of 6 carts, so that’s not bad. Now that everything was in order, I grabbed an empty cart and pulled it out into the hallway. Or at least, I tried to. As soon as the front wheels hit the threshold, the cart stopped dead.

Swearing, I went to click off the brakes, even though the cart had already been pulled up form the back of the morgue with no problems, but hey, sometimes these lovely carts they have us use for bodies act up. Oddly enough, not only were the breaks not on, but “steer mode”, which is supposed to help with steering, but in actuality makes the cart immovable, also was not on. The cart should have rolled fine. So I pushed it back easily enough and bent down to check the floor. Sometimes a roll of tape or a plastic needle cover, which are almost invisible, can get caught up under a wheel, effectively acting as a wedge brake. Nothing was on the floor, but I did get a good look at the crazy amount of amputated arms and legs kept on the bottom of one of the morgue shelves.

Standing, I checked the sides of the cart, making sure nothing was sticking out and preventing it from moving. I found nothing so I grabbed the front and pulled it forward again. The cart rolled a good 3 feet to the doorway until once again it just stopped. It felt like it hit a wall. So again, I go through checking everything, thinking to myself, “Heh, haunted cart in the morgue… classic”. This time I pushed the cart all the way back to the body filled carts, probably about 6 feet, more than enough room for the wheels to make a complete rotation. For a third time I check everything. Brakes, floor, side rails… nothing is caught nothing is stuck, there is nothing on the damned floor, but this cart will not go forward past the loving doorway. I pull it forward again, and again it hits the invisible wall. With both hands I pull, leaning back, putting my weight into it, full expecting to fall on my rear end. NOTHING!!! It did not move. I’m straining, pulling it with all the strength and weight I can muster with my 190-pound frame, and the cart isn’t budging an inch. It’s not even close to the sides of the morgue door, not caught up on any other cart or the amputation/dead baby/brain shelf. I can see that there’s nothing underneath to stop it from moving, but still it refuses to budge.

At this point most people would either get scared, get another cart or just give up. I was more annoyed than scared, I couldn’t give up, because I had a body to move downstairs, and getting another cart would require moving this one out of the way. So what did I do? I walked behind the cart, pulled if back, and with the room afforded me, took a running start in order to push it out the door.

I got the wind knocked out of me as the cart hit the invisible wall and smashed into my stomach. Now I’m pissed, dead or not, you do not hit me. I wrap my arms underneath the cart, getting a good grip. Crouch down a bit and push. Now my legs are pretty well developed. Even with the extra weight I’ve drank onto my stomach, my thighs and butt have remained very muscular, I do a lot of walking and squats when I’m bored at the computer and need a break. Plus with my workouts starting again, I’ve become much stronger over the past few weeks. I say this not to brag, but to point out that I am neither a stick boy nor a hambeast. It took all of my strength to push that cart forward. Inch by inch it went, and while I never let up to see if it would try to move back in, I wouldn’t have been surprised if it had. A cart is a bit over six feet long, and I had to fight for every inch, every quarter inch of that six plus feet. By the time it was halfway through the door, I was sweating. Sure it’s a giant refrigerator, but I was working hard. Add to the fact that I’m working in converse and the tile floor of the morgue doesn’t have the greatest traction, and you can begin to imagine the difficulty I was having moving this cart forward.

As the back end of the cart passed the threshold… not the back wheels, the actual back edge, I almost fell on my face as whatever was preventing that cart form moving vanished. I pushed that cart a good twenty feet, turned it from side to side reversed it, and had no problems moving it once it was in the hallway. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to use some haunted cart to move a body on, last thing I want is for the loving thing to tip over and dump the body on the ground. Not good. So I grab another empty cart and pull it out of the morgue with no problems. I’m standing in the hallway just looking at the other cart, at the Ghost Cart, and I think to myself, sounding oddly enough like Jack Burton, “What the hell, why not?”

I push Ghost Cart back into the morgue and meet no resistance. I grab the front, I’ll admit, hesitantly, but I did grab it, and pulled it forward towards the doorway again. Now that it was inside the morgue, once it got to the boundary between the morgue and the hospital proper, it stopped dead at the invisible wall. Refusing to move again. So I moved it aside to where the other cart I had grabbed used to be, and pushed it out of the way. Away from that doorway it rolled well enough. “See ya ghostie”, I called out, “I’ll be back soon with a roommate for you”.

After I came back with the body and opened the door, I had planned to try moving the cart again, but there was a lot of traffic in the hallway and I couldn’t disrupt it for as long as had before, keeping the morgue door wide open. I never got a chance to try moving that cart again; I even went down there two nights ago with another body, only to find the Ghost Cart gone. Did someone move it? Did the spirit and the enchantment depart? Or did the cart vanish into the netherworld; will night shift doctors and nurses start hearing an eerie rattling through the deserted hallways of the basement as the Ghost Cart wanders, looking for the body that used to rest upon it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU