Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember going to the flea market almost every weekend as a kid. My family would just walk around gawking at all the junk. I remember one time feeling bad for this poor sugar glider someone had in a tiny cage that was just running in circles. I remember buying Songs In The Key Of Life on vinyl and talking to my dad about the album. Sometimes we would buy toys or books or comic books. They always sold those stupid airbrushed shirts like you get at touristy places.

I guess these places still exist because I found one nearby on Google. I always had fun going to the flea market. It was a cheap way to fill up a Saturday morning. Any flea market enthusiasts around these parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
We'd go "look at the fleas" occasionally, as my dad would say

It was always total garbage, sometimes literally garbage

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Looking for the comic book guy

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The flea market was the first place I was offered meth

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Way back in like 2008-2010 I used to go to the giant flea market in Jacksonville, FL every weekend. Retro games were plentiful and dirt cheap, so I'd walk in with 50 bucks and walk out with poo poo like a boxed copy of Secret of Mana, a copy of Shatterhand, an entire Master System that was basically untouched, just stacks of NES games that would be worth a fortune later.

:sigh: Real golden years, those.

edit: I'm still convinced that phones ruined that scene, because I used to be able to haggle with guys but then everyone got smartphones and would check eBay for the first L@@K MINT CONDITION SUPER MARIO BROS. $69.99 FIRM!! they found and demand that price.

I once got a copy of Contra Force for $10.00 because the guy running the stall checked a literal print magazine and mistook it for regular Contra.

Heath fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 4, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

The flea market was the first place I was offered meth

Did you do meth at the flea market?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
flea/vendor markets and antique/second-hand/junk stores loving rule. one of the few redeeming things about the US south is they're absolutely everywhere.

i'll stop in one here or there, mostly not-really-looking-but-looking for cheap stuff i don't need like weird lamps, small furniture and artwork.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 4, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s where i bought pogs

they were probably bootleg pogs, but we didn’t know any better

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bad Purchase posted:

it’s where i bought pogs

they were probably bootleg pogs, but we didn’t know any better

*glancing at username*

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
flea market owns. I have art hanging all over my house and some of my best pieces are things I got for 20 bucks at the flea market.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The velour painting guy, if you were lucky.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My dad always called it the fleabag market and mocked me for wanting to buy other people's trash.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chief McHeath posted:

flea/vendor markets and antique/second-hand/junk stores loving rule. one of the few redeeming things about the US south is they're loving everywhere.

yeah, it's a world of difference between antiques in the east/south and anywhere further west. around here the "antique" stores are all cheap plastic poo poo from the 60s and 70s, meanwhile you go to Virginia and they're just casually like oh yeah here's some 300 year old dishes

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

We call it the swap meet here and visiting it was a given with my family or dad almost every weekend. Cops were always cracking down on bootleg cassette tape sellers, but my sister always found them super cheap. The ink was smeared badly on the actual cassettes, and the paper inserts were printed on subpar stock that was always wrinkled from wet ink drying quickly, but the actual tapes sounded professional and just like the authentic record store tapes.

I don’t recall ever buying much from there because most of the stuff people were selling was literal junk, but I did buy a nice Applause guitar made on the same line as Ovation guitars for $20; I still have it. We went mainly to get out of the house and walk around for a bit more than to look for anything in particular.

Yard and estate sales were where the real deals were at. That was an every weekend thing with my dad. Church rummage sales were also pretty dope.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

One of my guys got busted before he worked for me. He was selling weed stuffed inside of random items at flea markets. The cops bought like $500 in dolls or some poo poo and the dude was just glee when he handed them the weed.

10 years gone. Sad stuff.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Got this excellent cats picture at a swapmeet

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.
When I lived in Florida, I used to go to a place outside Orlando called Flea World. It was a giant flea market with hundreds of stalls selling everything from kitchen gadgets, old video games, and imported crap from China. I found some Coleco accessories and various Coleco/Atari 2600 games at dirt cheap prices. The place also had some rides that looked hilariously unsafe, food stands that sold basic carnival food, and a mini golf course.

Flea World was truly a destination. It has long since closed down and was replaced with what I believe are expensive apartments. Alas.

I'm still glad I didn't try any of those rides.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
:haibrow: I shop for home decorations almost exclusively at flea markets and swap meets. The Pasadena Swap Meet is :discourse: (:ssh: you will sometimes see celebrities there :ssh:)

the predilection for trash runs deep in my family - my paternal grandfather used to go to storage unit auctions decades before Storage Wars, and my grandmother used to go :airquote: Garage Sailing :airquote: where she'd spend the week planning out a garage sale itinerary based on the ads in the newspaper. Some weekends she would spend like 14 hours a day driving around the county, peering at other people's stuff.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
My old roommate found a set of breast implants at one. They were the peachy colored triangular ones.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
There used to be a great one in Norfolk, VA. Had a BBQ foodtruck/restaurant stand that was the best poo poo you could find.

I wandered around every now and then.

I got this bootleg Eeyore, that I fell in love with

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I went to a flea market but nobody was selling any. They were just all available for free. Not sure how it stays in business.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what about a flea circus, anyone been to a flea circus? i've never been to a flea circus.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

the holy poopacy posted:

yeah, it's a world of difference between antiques in the east/south and anywhere further west. around here the "antique" stores are all cheap plastic poo poo from the 60s and 70s, meanwhile you go to Virginia and they're just casually like oh yeah here's some 300 year old dishes

hey midcentury trash is good trash and I want it okay

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

last time i was at a real flea market i bought a bunch of those blind-bag LEGO minifig things even though i was 95% positive they'd be they same lovely figure and they were but the guy wanted like $1 each so i gambled and i lost and isn't that the real lesson of the flea market?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I love flea markets, but rarely do I find anything anymore. The best flea market was this old place, run by an old man, it had a run down cafeteria filled with old local men looking dour, drinking coffee. And it had so much stuff and junk, like real proper junk, at that place I found

-Festool sander for 25€
-chain hoist
-Circular saw
-induction motors
-chisels, saws, planes, drill bits, end mills all kinds of tools!

So much stuff I can't remember.

I was really bummed out when it shut down but the owner said he was 80 and wanted to retire.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Did anyone in the thread visit the Montgomery flea market before it closed? That's what I want to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bad Purchase posted:

what about a flea circus, anyone been to a flea circus? i've never been to a flea circus.

They abuse the fleas :(