Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Eminence In Shadow ( Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute!) is a light novel with a manga adaptation currently running (my favorite version of it) and published in English by Yen Press and a very good anime adaptation airing its second season starting this season on HiDive.

The story is an isekai centered around Minoru Kageno whose sole ambition in life was to become the eminence in shadow. Not the hero, not the villain, but the powerful figure who knows the secrets of the world and fights the greater evil from the shadows by whatever means necessary. The unbeatable boss the heroes encounter in the middle of the game who tells them to remember the true enemy while playing the piano. The one who exists in the shadows to hunt the shadows. Unfortunately it turns out you can't really be that in our world no matter how much you train, nor can you defeat an atomic bomb, so it's lucky indeed that when he dies after staggering in front of a truck in exhaustion he is reborn in a world with the magic he was lacking and the chance to do that training from birth to achieve his dream of becoming Shadow (12 o'clock on the right), leader of...

Shadow Garden, an organization with 666 members led by the Seven Shadows who were rescued from various circumstances by a young Cid. Clockwise on the right: Alpha (the de facto leader, devoted entirely to Shadow and their mission), Gamma (head of Shadow Garden's front business the Mitsugoshi Company, trips over her own two feet), Epsilon (magic and artifact expert whose cover is being a pianist and composer), Delta (wolf beastkin, extremely strong and extremely dog), Beta (intelligence operative with a cover of being a popular novelist, obsessive Shadow fangirl), Zeta (cat beastkin, scout and ruins explorer), and Eta (scientist, develops modern technology based on Cid's stories). They all are as far as Cid is concerned some people he rescued who are out of the kindness of their hearts playing along with his fantasy of secretly fighting the Cult of Diablos that he made up on the spot when he first met them. Except, as it turns out, the Cult of Diablos is in fact very real and Shadow Garden is dedicated to eliminating it in accord with whatever they perceive Shadow's often inscrutable but always correct (after the fact) wishes and actions to be.

A proper eminence in shadow must have a cover though, and the more unremarkable the better. That is Cid Kageno, middling student at the Midgar Academy and a mob if ever there was one (or so he believes). Clockwise on the left: Claire Kageno (Cid's obsessive and doting in her own special way older sister), Alexia Midgar (second princess of the Midgar kingdom and classmate of Cid, bullheaded and in a fake relationship with Cid to annoy her fiance), Iris Midgar (first princess of the Midgar kingdom and renowned as one of its strongest knights), Rose Oriana (princess of the Oriana kingdom and upperclassman of Cid who is respected for her talent in swordsmanship), Sherry Barnett (genius student specializing in artifacts and ancient languages, airhead), Po Tato and Skel Etal (your run of the mill mobs, perfect for the role of loser friends for our boy Cid).

As for why I enjoy the series, arcs move at a brisk pace and change, develop, and add to the cast surrounding Cid, and while Cid himself is still first and foremost concerned with doing the coolest thing at all times, it leaves some room to question what parts of him are acts and what parts are real. I think it also strikes a consistently good balance of comedy vs plot and action (the manga leans a bit more toward the former and the anime a bit more toward the latter, but only ever to something like 60-40), and like good parodies has both a genuine enjoyment of the things it parodies and fun poking fun at them. A hero's journey this is not, Cid is always by a large margin the strongest guy in the room and always (by coincidence) right, and frankly he should stay that way, which serves to make for fun in seeing whatever bullshit he's going to do next and how the rest of the cast acts around and is affected by the actual plot that is for them very serious. One note regarding the anime is that the first episode is a bit of a weird one, not in a really objectionable way but in a way that isn't that consistent with the rest of it and also foreshadows stuff that is only relevant waaaaaaaaay later in an arc that they probably won't even get to this season.

If you don't also agree that standing on a clock tower at sunset while saying something cryptic, being a ringer in a tournament until you reveal your true identity, buying paintings and furniture just to make a sitting room to impress your underling, or being a walking nuclear bomb is silly but also cool actually then it might not be for you, but if you are on board with those things then give it a shot. This season looks like it will contain my two favorite arcs from the manga, so I'm really looking forward to it.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I

AM

ATOMIC :kheldragar:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We should probably also mention that the series leans heavily on the Chuunibyou stereotype where kids think that they're secret badasses who have hidden ninja/supernatural powers which make them superior to everyone else

quote:

It translates to "middle-second syndrome" (i.e., middle-school second-year). It is sometimes called "eighth-grader syndrome" in the United States

.... except that Cid is isekai'ed to a world where he really does have secret badass magical powers so he finally gets to live out all his crazy fantasies for real. Note that half his fantasies are about pretending to be the perfect 'mob' background character in his alter ego student identity so if a "named character" takes any interest in him he panics and looks for a way to retreat back into fake obscurity

You may have also guessed that his name is a pun since his surname is Kageno and 'kage no' = 'shadow'

quote:

Title: 陰の 実力者 になりたくて!

陰の: Kage no ---> Kageno ; 影野 実 (Kageno Minoru) <-- 実力者 (jitsuryokusha)

シド・カゲノウ --> Cid Kagenou

シド --> Cid (sido)

シャドウ --> Shadow (first character + third character makes シド sido/Cid)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 4, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't wait to watch this upcoming episode. Eminence in Shadow was one of my favorite shows and it's great to see it back.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is this going to be another 20-episode double-season, or are they going to stick to 12? 12 is definitely enough time to do Red Tower, John Smith, Black Rose, and then tease Fallen Arcadia for season 3.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
Season 1 was very fun. Especially when people are screaming in times new roman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Glazius posted:

Is this going to be another 20-episode double-season, or are they going to stick to 12? 12 is definitely enough time to do Red Tower, John Smith, Black Rose, and then tease Fallen Arcadia for season 3.

MyAnimeList says 12

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Just to be clear, the MC never twigs to the fact that it's all real and not just playing pretend?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

boneration posted:

Just to be clear, the MC never twigs to the fact that it's all real and not just playing pretend?

He's aware that there is stuff going on, but he's not invested in the cult's plotting and actions as anything beyond just things happening that he can use for some fun, and he has no awareness of how deep the plots go. It's more that he thinks Shadow Garden is just playing along with his games rather than being an actual organization with a goal.

Edit:

Edit 2: The opening few minutes of this season put it quite succinctly.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 5, 2023

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Sounds good, thanks. Now to watch... 20 episodes in two days.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
loled every time he recited mary's dialogue to people

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Stink Billyums posted:

loled every time he recited mary's dialogue to people

It's a great bit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chumbler posted:

He's aware that there is stuff going on, but he's not invested in the cult's plotting and actions as anything beyond just things happening that he can use for some fun, and he has no awareness of how deep the plots go. It's more that he thinks Shadow Garden is just playing along with his games rather than being an actual organization with a goal.

Yeah that aspect of the show really reminds me of One Punch Man: the most powerful guy in the entire world is a giant dumbass who gets obsessed over all the wrong things and completely misses the big picture and stumbles around accidentally getting involved in massively complicated situations while everyone else in the world is being super serious and pretty much have to maneuver themselves around his actions

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The difference here is the only group that can even come close to anticipating Shadow's actions is Shallow Garden and they're hopelessly caught up in hero worship so they just let him do whatever he wants because they assume it's all part of his ineffable plan. It's like if Genos was an army of sexy ninjas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

they just let him do whatever he wants because they assume it's all part of his ineffable plan.

Well they're not wrong :v:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah that aspect of the show really reminds me of One Punch Man: the most powerful guy in the entire world is a giant dumbass who gets obsessed over all the wrong things and completely misses the big picture and stumbles around accidentally getting involved in massively complicated situations while everyone else in the world is being super serious and pretty much have to maneuver themselves around his actions

Not sure I'd agree Saitama is a dumbass (though he certainly can be dense), he simply has his own set of priorities and a clear vision of heroism. Two words into the villain's monologue, Cid will just zone out because he assumes the villain is doing a bit; but Saitama simply does not give a poo poo about the big picture and will clock the bad guy because people have their own lives to get to, because villainy is ultimately a pointless waste of time, and most importantly, because the store across town has a 2-for-1 special on leeks and it closes in 10 minutes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like they're keeping the trend of having two versions of the episode preview, the Cid version and the someone else who cares about the plot version. I didn't catch anywhere if they're also doing the kagejitsu skits again.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!
They are still doing the short skits along with the regular episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPpnu0KzSWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzkx0M3VI6g

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Kalion posted:

They are still doing the short skits along with the regular episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPpnu0KzSWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzkx0M3VI6g
Are there translations for these somewhere?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Suzera posted:

Are there translations for these somewhere?

click that button with "CC" on it for a surprise.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah the youtube translation seems fine enough. I recall it struggled a bit on some of last season's.

She was so proud of them.

All's well that ends well.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

IShallRiseAgain posted:

click that button with "CC" on it for a surprise.
:2monocle:

In my defense crunchyroll trained me wrong as a joke.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I wonder how many people are missing out on this show because the first episode of the first season was weird.

anyway yay new season, yay red moon, yay frenzy

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And of course the one thing that gets Cid to finally connect with his sister is that her hand throbs with power as the witch's blood stirs within her.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Glazius posted:

And of course the one thing that gets Cid to finally connect with his sister is that her hand throbs with power as the witch's blood stirs within her.
I almost blew some water out of my nose when this segment came up. I was not expecting Claire the "chuunibyou"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One thing i love about this series is all the chuuni stuff is true, there really is a cult of Diabolos and cursed hero's blood and thousand year old vampires and reincarnation. Shadow thinks he's just having fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Glazius posted:

She's just going through a phase that everyone goes through and he has to be there to support her, nothing more than that.

Also three episodes was the perfect length for this arc.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 19, 2023

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In this week's installment of the NHK finance series, the impeccably dressed John Smith discusses the foundations of fiat currency and the psychology of bank runs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Glazius posted:

In this week's installment of the NHK finance series, the impeccably dressed John Smith discusses the foundations of fiat currency and the psychology of bank runs.

Oh this is one of my favorite arcs, just because of how stupid it gets.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

John Smith inadvertently leading to a conspiracy to devalue bank notes and cause a run and collapse of a merchant union while being disappointed that his genius plan of print more money = have more money is wrong.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The fact that the Cult was willing to do the same loving plan as Smith except entirely on purpose instead of on accident is just insane. Yet again Shadow foils the plans of the Cult without even trying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kwyndig posted:

The fact that the Cult was willing to do the same loving plan as Smith except entirely on purpose instead of on accident is just insane. Yet again Shadow foils the plans of the Cult without even trying.

The easiest mark is the one who thinks they're conning you, after all.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The whole Gamma fighting bit is great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All points in strength, defense, and intellect, zero points in dexterity.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
He clearly should have taught her Jigen-ryu, though I guess what he told her was pretty close in concept

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I forget if it's mentioned in the anime or manga, but I picked up the first light novel volume and something stated pretty clearly is that when Alpha and the rest leave (apart from whoever is on rotating assistant duty) when they're kids, Cid takes that as they realized all his stuff is fake and got sick of it so they're just out living their own lives except when they hang around him and play along because they're his friends. He doesn't take Mitsugoshi's money because it's theirs, not his, and part of the motivation for this arc is because he feels a little left out.

He's bad at being a mob and bad at being a shadowy manipulator both because he doesn't have a clue what's going on and because he doesn't use people as tools.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 6, 2023

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, it had to happen eventually. Delta does something she shouldn't and Cid has to send her to a ruin upstate where she can run around all day and hunt bandits.

Yes, literally.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He's really flying by the seat of his pants here and it could very easily turn out not like how he plans. I did find it goofy that we had two unmaskings of John Smith and neither of them involved a literal unmasking.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kwyndig posted:

He's really flying by the seat of his pants here and it could very easily turn out not like how he plans.

That's how he always 'plans' things, lol. After all his original scheme was 1) print more money, 2) hooray, now I have more money! so things were never going to turn out according to his plan anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poor Juggernaut gets offscreened in the comedy short.

Also this arc has adhered to Cid's ethos of doing things because they're cool by having practically everything set on or around trains.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 12, 2023