Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
this is an interesting direction they are setting up for the japan arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Huh, So I guess magic is inherent to the people born in that world? I assumed there would be some sort of mana in the air. Also I guess the time between those realms doesn't move the same speed? Alternatively he was reborn before he even died, which has worse implications.
Yeah, looking forward to see where this ridiculousness goes, when another season arrives maybe.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I do like that the occasional isekai thing of ending up at least for a little while back in the original world gets flipped here by having the earth also have gotten turbofucked in the intervening time (possibly even as a result of or for the same reason Cid got sent to the other world in the first place).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Flashbacks to stylish ruffian slayer.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Gotta be honest here but that was a long time between the setup (first episode of the first season) and the payoff (twelth episode of the second season).

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It was a bit of an odd choice for the anime to do that, to be sure. In the manga, the chapter that became S1E1 actually immediately preceded this arc (not sure about the light novels, haven't read them).

The anime has also changed up a number of other minor things, mainly character introductions (more gradual in the manga; we don't even see Zeta for the first time until after this arc is over).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Introducing the Seven Shadows quickly makes sense from a marketing perspective. If you've shown them off you can put them on packaging and make figures of them. Like how they had that pop-up store for the hot springs episode.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It was a bit of an odd choice for the anime to do that, to be sure. In the manga, the chapter that became S1E1 actually immediately preceded this arc (not sure about the light novels, haven't read them).

It was a good choice because it makes it immediately clear that Cid is the way he is not because he's an Isekai protagonist but because he's a very weird dude. Without it I may have believed at first that he was just another generic cringelord instead of an excepcional cringelord.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I prefer how that chapter goes in the manga, mostly because he hulks out and everyone is like what's with this freak?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
yeah in the novels s1e1 of the anime is an intermission chapter before that whole arc though the anime really fleshed it out

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I felt like the first manga chapter did a perfectly good job of showing how weird and delusional Cid is in the flashbacks. I can't help but feel the decision was really made because producers felt like an isekai "always has to start pre-reincarnation".

Kwyndig posted:

I prefer how that chapter goes in the manga, mostly because he hulks out and everyone is like what's with this freak?

Showing him being all huge in the manga flashbacks was a perfect illustration of the delusional disconnect between how he saw himself/how he wanted to be seen (as a nondescript mob) and how everyone else regarded him (who probably gave him nicknames like "the muscle weirdo").

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the bit the fan translation of the manga is up to right now is very amusing because he thinks his sister has chuunibyou delusions like he "used to" with zero self awareness and the reality being she isnt delusional

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:

Spookydonut posted:

the bit the fan translation of the manga is up to right now is very amusing because he thinks his sister has chuunibyou delusions like he "used to" with zero self awareness and the reality being she isnt delusional

The real reason Cid is a nuclear bomb is because he is a harem protagonist and therefore the densest object in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I don't know, he certainly seems conscious of sexuality to some extent, and even once lightly ribbed one of them over it ("gazing at my Excalibur"). He could very well be the first consciously asexual harem protagonist. He knows, he just has his mind on other goals, and he appreciates that it makes them game enough to play along with him.

The thing he's actually dense about is that he was clearly intended to be the 'destined protagonist' or whatever in the story of the fight against the cult of Diabolos (overpowered, heroic bloodline, surrounded by devoted followers, many from that same bloodline, constantly ending up in direct conflict with the secret bosses), but he's so obsessed with being a "shadow power" (and also playing out a lot of the other cliches of these types of stories) that he just refuses to see what's in front of him. He will 100% clear the game up to the final boss and then just sit there, on his shadow throne, grumbling that the protagonist never showed up so he could show off his awesome, mysterious shadow empire to them.