Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
"Look, I told you there's no support number for Google. What do you mean you googled the number and called it and now they're controlling your mouse? Wait, you gave them your password? Okay, look, you need to unplug the router immediately. No, hang up on that person, it's a scammer, go disconnect the router right now and then call me back..... Okay, the router is off? Great. Turn the computer on. 'Weird screen'? It's not taking your password? Okay, you need to go change your Google password and all other important passwords from a different computer that was never connected during any of this"

"No, real tech support people never ask to be paid in Bitcoin, why are you asking me this?"

"Popups on your phone? What do you mean, 'popups on your phone whenever you open your email'? You need to factory reset it. Yes, last time we did this you had to mail it to me because you couldn't find the option, that's fine, my address is the same".

"Look I just don't think it's worth putting 10 hours into trying to understand what's wrong with a Lenovo from 2012 can I please just buy you a new one, I can get something 4x as fast as this thing for like $300"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
No plug the CueCat into the purple plug not the green one

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

No, Grandma, Netflix is not the name of your TV, it's a streaming service you access through the Roku I bought you. No, Roku isn't the name of your TV, it's the little box we plugged into your TV.

You just need to click on the Netflix button with the remote, like selecting a channel. Okay, what's it asking you to do now? No, that can't be right, what did you click on?

Ohhh, no, don't click the little asterisk on your remote, that brings up the options. Just hit the back arrow. No, the little arrow on your remote. Okay. Now click the "OK" button when you have Netflix selected.

No, Grandma, I don't know why your microwave is beeping, did you put something in there? Okay well go get your popcorn.

Alright you're back? What does the screen show right now? Alright, perfect. Now go to the search button - actually, never mind that, what do you want to watch? Heartland? That's a drama, right? Just... just click down a few times on your remote. Wait, what do you mean it's gone? The screen's gone? What did you press? No, you can't have pressed down, it wouldn't turn the screen off. There's a city on the screen now?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Your remote isn't working at all? Which remote? The one that works the cable box or the one that works the actual TV? No, the... is it the small remote or the big one? Right, do lights come on when you press the buttons? No, OK, and you've changed the batteries? No, OK, no its OK I'll wait while you look for some spares.

Still no lights? OK, can you remember last time when we had to reset the remote by pressing those three buttons until the lights flashed? Sortof? Yeah, so you need to press bottom two buttons on either side and the top power button until it flashes 3 times. So that's the 3 button, the 1 button, and the power button all at the same time... its not doing anything? It didn't seem like you pressed it long enough. Yes, I can come and fix it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You're getting a pop up on your phone? When does it happen? Okay, can you go into your settings? No, you can do that while you're talking to me, you don't need to hang up. No, trust me. Just put me on speakerphone, it's fine. Okay can you hear me? Hello? Can you hear me?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Okay, here's the password. 7. |. No, don't spell out "pipe", just |. Capital letters? No, no letters. Just |. I do not know how to more clearly spell "|" than "|". Hyphen. 3. Grave accent. No, grave accent. Below the tilde. That's an apostrophe, you need a grave accent. To the left of the 1 key, you should see the grave accent.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

You need to press "input" on the remote.
What do you mean there's now 3 tv channels playing at once? Press "pip" a few times.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The bluetooth connection is not integral to it's function. You can ram it up your rear end just fine without it, dad

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Yeah I know it’s gross but it’s just something the algorithm decided people wanted to see a few years ago. Don’t worry, they aren’t really step-siblings, they’re just actors.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Going to read this for tips thank you goons!!!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

NO DON'T LOOK ON YOUR KEYBOARD FOR A KEY NAMED "ANYKEY" JUST PRESS ANY KEY!!!!!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
No, I don't think $60 a month for PDF viewing software is a good deal

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"God drat, woman. Are you the same person who taught me how to hold a spoon?"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
no, don't pour vinegar and iodine on your keyboard to clean your keys, that's not what sticky keys means

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Ok, your keys are sticky, we can fix that when I come visit to make sure the hospice nurse isn't stealing your meds again

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
You’re watching Netflix HOW? You pressed the Netflix button on your tv remote? you need to first power cycle the raspberry pi so it blocks commercials, then use the console to open the lifetime tv app and then login via the QR code with your phone.

…you want the commercials? I’m sorry mom I have to go.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
"Yes sir, in order to fix the TV signal I need you to go down to the nearest convenience store and purchase $500 of a card that says Razer Gold. No the person telling you about scams is a fear mongering predator. Okay please read off the numbers on the card for me."

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
turn it off and back on.

it works now?

youre welcome mom. love you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Turn it on.
Turn it on.
T- Yes, it is. Turn it on.
Turn it on.
Either the top or the front.
Kind of a circle with a vertical line in it.
Try the front, then.
Okay, hold it for 3 seconds.
3 seconds.
1. 2. 3.
Did it light up?
No, the button.
Okay.
Okay, check the plug.
Yeah, maybe one of the cats knocked it loose.
In the back. It goes into-
No, it goes into the wall. It's the only one.
Okay.
Can you turn on a light?
Okay, call the power company.
Did you pay your bill?
Did they send you a notice? They should have sent-
Did you opt in for paperless?
No, they send you an email. You can check it on your phone.
No, cellphone.
How, if the power's out? What are you calling from?
... Mom?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The tech revolution happened during my lifetime too but somehow I managed to keep up. Figure it out.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Alexa, pacemaker off

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

No grandma, that's not me it's just an AI using my voice to trick you into giving it money

Grandma: But that's not right, he's standing over there and you're the one on the phone.

*suddenly realizing I was the AI the whole time* NOOOOOO!!!!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Ahh gently caress it. You know what dad? I just got a job at Microsoft and I'm calling to tell you have a virus. Give me your credit card number

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
No Grandma, I know that's what you saw in the movies but here in real life we cut the red wire.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Please stop using your ISP email address. I can set up a gmail account for you. It will copy over all our old emails. You won't lose them. Yes I can connect it to your outlook. You can use the same password. No, you won't have to keep using DSL, that's the point. I can get you fiber for the same price. No, you can keep the land line. Dammit, I will pay for the fiber service, it won't cost you anything. It's not cable, it's fib- Please for the love of God, let me get you faster internet service. Yes, this is why your tv signal keeps dropping out. No, moving the antenna won't fix it. What is the antenna even connected to? No, do not plug it into the modem. Ok fine, don't change anything if don't think you'll be able to remember a new email address.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't talk to any of my relatives

Oct 5, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I got this within ~8 hours of posting this thread :allears:

I told him that it could be anything from a legitimately failing piece of hardware in his 7-year-old mid-tier laptop, to malware and anything else that "could be" the problem until ruled out, and also that he might want to look at event viewer and the system log but that I can't do much remotely.

At some point in recent memory, their network got compromised through a scam, and they paid some local guy several hundred dollars to fix up their aging computers. I told him I would replace it all for him instead, nope.

He uses two different ~ $400 Lenovos from 5 years ago to do different subsets of the tasks he needs to do. I wanted to kill all that off with fire and replace it with a single high-end laptop (that I'd buy) that I could remotely administer and all that nonsense, and he shot me down hard. Not over the remote admin, over the concept of having a single machine for both CorelDraw and "bank stuff". At some point I think that still becomes the thing we do, but, he's my dad and I love him so I'll support whatever silly tech setup he wants, as best I can.

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
Okay, so I'm gonna click "forgot password" and it's gonna send you an email with a code in it, I need you to read me that code. No, I haven't clicked "forgot password" yet; I'm gonna click it right now. Okay, check your email for me? Okay, let's wait a minute or two, it should show up. Oh wow my second cousin I haven't seen since we spent an afternoon together in 1994 got married? Was it a nice wedding? Oh, can you check your email for me again? Still nothing? Okay let's give it another sec. How's Dad managing his diabetes? Oh he's not? Super. Did you ever find that pair of shoes -- oh you got the email? How long ago? Oh the code's expired, I have to click "forgot password" again...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The tech revolution happened during my lifetime too but somehow I managed to keep up. Figure it out.

I spent quite a while teaching digital literacy to more elderly people. Had one client who was talking about how he started off on computers at uni in the 60s doing programing back when you did programing on cards but than and this was all incredibly new, but with changing fields, and life in general and everything after a while he just stopped keeping up.

Really cool dude, and very quick learner and was super apologetic about just not knowing what we'd consider pretty basic stuff.

But yeah it will happen to us too!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
"so your email isn't working. Okay so lets see, could you just check..."

-three minutes later-

"yeah so seems like what your saying is the computer isn't turning on, could you quickly check if the power cable's plugged in?"