Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I have health insurance for the first time through an employer. I'm a single person no wife or children. It costs me about $800 a month in premiums but my deductible before literally anything at all is covered is $2500. So I could potentially spend $12000 on healthcare costs in a single year with literally no benefit?

And even once I reach the deductible I'm still on the hook for $50 copay just to see a GP. This can't be right can it? What's the point of health insurance if it doesn't do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

:patriot:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That is.. very high through an employer for that level of coverage with no dependents. Something seems off there. As for deductibles and max out of pocket.. that's what's usually referred to as 'major medical' in that it will prevent you from racking up so much debt with medical costs you will never have a hope of repaying them.

But the max out of pocket limits usually aren't quite that high - 5k-10k range for 'ok' insurances.. and the monthly should be considerably less than it currently is for you.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Lmaoing from a civilized part of the world

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

sometimes it's even worse, OP, but that sounds pretty lovely for an employer plan and the money you're putting in out of pocket. You might even be able to get a better plan than that on the exchange

On my end, which I think is about the opposite experience for health insurance tbh, my employer pays like $700 a month and I pay ~$100/month on my end. I have a $2k deductible but then no co-pays after that and my employer gives me an HSA with $2k added at the start of every year. My out of pocket max is like $3K/year (including the deductible) as well.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

OK so I'm getting absolutely hosed. Story of my life, goons!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

pencilhands posted:

This can't be right can it?

lol

To answer your question there’s two benefits you have now.

One is that if something fucks you up (bad car crash, cancer etc) you are less likely to have so much medical debt that you have to declare bankruptcy.

Two is that you now have access to the shell game known as “negotiated rates” which means if you get an X-ray bill it’ll show you owe $10k but oh wait we have an agreement with your insurance company so we’ll just make 90% of that disappear for reasons now here’s your bill for $1k

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Yeah sounds like you're employer isn't paying much for you. I think the highest tier coverage where I work is only $143/mo

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Yeah that doesn't sound right at all even for our crooked rear end system. Good luck OP. I'm hoping you read something wrong. I don't know your situation, but, if those numbers are accurate, I, personally, would consider staying a self-pay. But that's just me and my circumstances.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

lol

To answer your question there’s two benefits you have now.

One is that if something fucks you up (bad car crash, cancer etc) you are less likely to have so much medical debt that you have to declare bankruptcy.

Two is that you now have access to the shell game known as “negotiated rates” which means if you get an X-ray bill it’ll show you owe $10k but oh wait we have an agreement with your insurance company so we’ll just make 90% of that disappear for reasons now here’s your bill for $1k

At most hospitals and clinics the trick to getting those even if you're uninsured to just call up the billing and be like "I can't pay that, can I get a discount?" It's stupid and they shouldn't be allowed to do tiered billing based on payer type at all tbh. You'll still be turbofucked for anything more complicated than a UTI or something, though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I found out when I went to get a COVID booster in Nov. 2021 that the health insurance I'd been paying for for 2+ years at my employer at the time had my birthdate listed as 4/14/2019 instead of 4/14/86, so I was ineligible to receive care until the insurance company dealt with the primary holder supposedly being 2 years old. Thankfully I was grandfathered into a sweetheart plan negotiated in 1999, so I was paying $28/mo for the same plan my previous employer had me paying ~$150/mo for. Sayonara to that one when that plant closed for good in March :sigh:

when I first started working there, single was $14/mo

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

How much would you guys expect to pay per month for a $2500 deductible plan?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
In the past when I’ve worked for lovely tech contractors the worst I had was like $295/m for a single healthy non-smoking adult with the same type of premiums. 800/m is insane and it might be better to sign up for Cobra or something?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Lmaoing from a civilized part of the world

:arghfist::cheers:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

800 is absurd wtf

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i simply live in a country with free healthcare (for now)

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

That's called "your employer wants you all going independent through the marketplace and to stop loving with their bottom-line"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MrQwerty posted:

That's called "your employer wants you all going independent through the marketplace and to stop loving with their bottom-line"

:fsmug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Holy poo poo! That's really bad even for 'murrica.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

is obamacare any better?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

pencilhands posted:

is obamacare any better?

it depends on plans, but the plan your employer purchased for all of you was purchased out of sheer contempt for a law they have to follow and they don't actually want you using it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
poo poo even the startup I work for provides excellent coverage for $40/mo. That’s real bad op

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

MrQwerty posted:

it depends on plans, but the plan your employer purchased for all of you was purchased out of sheer contempt for a law they have to follow and they don't actually want you using it

This is exactly what that is. Your employer sucks a dog's beshitted anus

https://www.healthcare.gov/ is where you want to be looking - but from what I can tell whatever state you live in (along with age) are the biggest factors to how high the premiums can get for a single person.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
what does "copay" mean in English english. does it mean excess

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

drat

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

pencilhands posted:

is obamacare any better?
Doesn’t matter for you. If your employer offers health insurance, you’re not eligible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Christ I thought my insurance was bad. I pay $186/month with a $1500 deductible. Definitely check out healthcare.gov or whatever for better plans.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

yep

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Doesn’t matter for you. If your employer offers health insurance, you’re not eligible.

lol that sucks sorry op

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
All insurance is parasitism, OP

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i swear ive seen stuff on healthcare.gov that was equivalently as lovely are you guys sure

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

800 is absurd wtf

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This isn't strictly true. And unless OP is making uhh like 8k/month he could totally be eligible

https://www.healthcare.gov/have-job-based-coverage/

And it really depends on the state you reside in and your age in to what kind of plans you can get. Like in Alaska the average is around what you're paying now, but probably for a little better coverage

and like the unfortunate reality is you're going to have to spend hours looking into this fairly deeply to figure out what's best(of whatever's offered, not objectively best) for your situation. the US loving sux

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I get no help from
Covered California and my payment for a pretty good insurance is 800 a month just for me. December when I renew it will go up to 975. Crazy stuff. And if I don’t have insurance California penalizes me 5,000 dollars

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I like going to the doctor and he/she checks me, writes me a prescription, and I pay like 3 bucks.

I definitely have health insurance, but it is all handled automatically here (Korea), so I don't have to gently caress with anything.

Taxes are similar. There's a website I download them from, already completed, then give them to my employer who handles all that poo poo.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

pencilhands posted:

I have health insurance for the first time through an employer. I'm a single person no wife or children. It costs me about $800 a month in premiums but my deductible before literally anything at all is covered is $2500. So I could potentially spend $12000 on healthcare costs in a single year with literally no benefit?

And even once I reach the deductible I'm still on the hook for $50 copay just to see a GP. This can't be right can it? What's the point of health insurance if it doesn't do anything?

Hey buddy you're starting to catch on that health insurance is a dogshit wealth redistribution scheme.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

pencilhands posted:

i swear ive seen stuff on healthcare.gov that was equivalently as lovely are you guys sure

you are in the fun position where your employer hates you so much for working for them and causing them the trouble of buying an insurance plan, that you have to spend days of your life shopping for health insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
also Ca does this fun thing where if you or your spouse get medical insurance though your employer then you can't qualify for Covered Ca.

Our medical insurance for a family of 4 is like a little north of 1300/mo.

gently caress this theme park butthole state.