Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

pencilhands posted:

I just went to see my PCP about my blood pressure. They told me I should eat less sodium and more vegetables.

I was charged $300

In addition to my $800 monthly premium.

But wait! There's good news....

I got a $25 discount!

LMFAO

that’s good advice and you are lucky your doctor didn’t just put you on blood pressure meds before trying to control it in a healthier way first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Bad Purchase posted:

that’s good advice and you are lucky your doctor didn’t just put you on blood pressure meds before trying to control it in a healthier way first

lmao yeah you should be thanking your doctor for not just rolling their eyes and immediately putting you on the most expensive designer statin there is currently, pencilhands

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i could have looked up that advice on the inter net

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah but you went to a doctor instead

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

"the goon doctor" only costs a mere $10

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

shoulda posted in there then

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

heres the loving lovely thing i live in the ONE state where if you dont have health insurance you get fined thousands of dollars

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands posted:

heres the loving lovely thing i live in the ONE state where if you dont have health insurance you get fined thousands of dollars

take that up with Willard Romney

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

take that up with Willard Romney

i desire to rip rear end directly in his face

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean I think I'm just done with deadlifting period. I threw my back out two times in my early 20s doing it, but never a spinal hernia like I did this time.

I don't bother with them either. My brother was an amateur powerlifter, and he developed slipped disks and had to stop. We have a family history of spinal injuries, so I just do squats instead.

I know it's a competitive powerlifting move, but in my case I don't think it's worth the risk.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Toxic Mental posted:

315 / 3 plates

I was also learning sumo deadlifts specifically because it’s supposed to be safer for the back too lmao

What a scam

naw why should society have to pay for you not keeping your chest up and chasing numbers like its 2005

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Yeah I just kind of thought US health insurance was for the most part exclusively bankruptcy protection (and even then I'd wager there's a sizeable amount of folks that would probably still declare when a $50k-$75k medical bill falls in their lap). It's not really meant to be used unless you're fantastically wealthy.

Most Doctors in developed areas stateside have 3-6 month waiting lists for appointments, so you're not going to see one for anything acute or immediately pertinent, and you're not going to the Immediate Care clinic or Emergency Room unless you're actually dying or you've got $3k-$10k to burn on minor palliative treatments.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Palliative LMAO

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
You can take that $3-10k out of my corpse you bastards

So, is like, the US just a farm of 300 million people that private corporations milk for money to feed their yachts?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

So, is like, the US just a farm of 300 million people that private corporations milk for money to feed their yachts?

Absolutely. I am being genuine when I say this. Nobody gives a gently caress about fixing anything, they want sponges to wring.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

yes, and we wouldnt have it any other way. its my god given writes as laid out in the one and only declaration of imdependence. maybe youve heard of it. :patriot:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The only reason things are as good as they are in the US is because it's more profitable to have a developed economy with service & knowledge sectors than a pure extraction economy. If this were not true, the entire country would be West Virginia.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
federal civilian here. Thought I had it good. It's kind of okay. Decent plan for about 300/month just for me.

Had the cheapest plan with a 5000 deductible for about 140/month. Had a seizure. Hit my deductible by like February. Can bet your rear end I went to the doctor for every single thing that year after that.

Upgraded to a new plan the year after. A couple years go by, then I have internal bleeding. Lost like 3 units of blood. BP was like 65/45 when I was taken to the Hospital. I think I still ended up paying like $5k~
Only then, did I start actually paying attention to what health care plan I had. lol

So yeah. Health care sucks.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hitting your deductible doesn’t mean you can just start going to the doctor as much as you want, for that you have to hit your out of pocket max, the secret boss after what you thought was the final boss

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

How it works in America:

(After making appointment and talking to doctor) Get Xray for hernia'd disk (apparently I have some scoliosis which is why my back exploded). They say I should go see a PT. Okay, how can I schedule that? Oh, well we don't do that. We have people here but they're scheduled out for months already, so you should go to another private clinic. We'll call you tomorrow and give you a referral which can then be transferred? I guess?

Get referral for PT the next day. Call a random PT place in town blindly. Set up an appointment 4 weeks out. Ask if they're in-network, no one knows, they're just a branch. They say call Regence Blue Shield. I call RBS, they say the clinic I scheduled a PT appointment for isn't on their list, they have no clue whether or not it's in-network and say to call the PT place again. I call again, they say call the head office. I do, the guy at the front desk doesn't know. I wait 15 minutes to talk to a supervisor.

Surprise! All of the 100+ locations of this PT provider at in-network with Regence. It only took my an hour to figure that out. Thanks.

How it worked in Japan

Go into hospital. Walk to front desk. "My back is hurt". 5 mins later talk to a doctor. 5 mins after that get an Xray. 5 mins after that go to another room and talk to a PT and schedule follow ups if needed. Pay $10 and go home.

gently caress this country. I've spent 10x more time talking to insurance companies and insurance providers and "healthcare providers" (just loving say doctor you weirds) than I have actually getting treated.

edit: Seriously gently caress whoever decided "provider" was a thing. Insurance provider and Healthcare provider are too similar nomenclatures.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 18, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Toxic Mental posted:

How it works in America:

(After making appointment and talking to doctor) Get Xray for hernia'd disk (apparently I have some scoliosis which is why my back exploded). They say I should go see a PT. Okay, how can I schedule that? Oh, well we don't do that. We have people here but they're scheduled out for months already, so you should go to another private clinic. We'll call you tomorrow and give you a referral which can then be transferred? I guess?

Get referral for PT the next day. Call a random PT place in town blindly. Set up an appointment 4 weeks out. Ask if they're in-network, no one knows, they're just a branch. They say call Regence Blue Shield. I call RBS, they say the clinic I scheduled a PT appointment for isn't on their list, they have no clue whether or not it's in-network and say to call the PT place again. I call again, they say call the head office. I do, the guy at the front desk doesn't know. I wait 15 minutes to talk to a supervisor.

Surprise! All of the 100+ locations of this PT provider at in-network with Regence. It only took my an hour to figure that out. Thanks.

How it worked in Japan

Go into hospital. Walk to front desk. "My back is hurt". 5 mins later talk to a doctor. 5 mins after that get an Xray. 5 mins after that go to another room and talk to a PT and schedule follow ups if needed. Pay $10 and go home.

gently caress this country. I've spent 10x more time talking to insurance companies and insurance providers and "healthcare providers" (just loving say doctor you weirds) than I have actually getting treated.

edit: Seriously gently caress whoever decided "provider" was a thing. Insurance provider and Healthcare provider are too similar nomenclatures.

A year ago, I called the insurance I had at the time to find out if a provider was in network. They asked for the NPI. I had never heard anything about an NPI anytime in my life prior to working for an insurance company and I literally stayed in my dad’s medical office a few summers.

At least I knew how to quickly look up the information I needed, thanks to aforementioned working for an insurance company. Normal people should not have to look up that kind of stuff.

Just agreeing that our health system is loving insane. I was guessing that they couldn’t determine if they were in network or not for you without an NPI and/or TID but, again, normal people, and many of the people who ask for that information at insurance companies when you call them, have no clue what the gently caress that information is and how to find it.

Just a super stupid system that has clearly been designed to make people miserable. Well, I guess that odd just a bonus to the system for the people who designed it and keep updating it to be worse.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Toxic Mental posted:

How it worked in Japan

For real. It's always fun telling people stories about the crazy poo poo I saw and did in Japan, the one that consistently blows the most minds is the time I got CT scan for $30.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

op has an insanely lovely job. rip

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

Charles Ford posted:

One time I was hit by a car while riding a bicycle home from work. After I managed to call the police/an ambulance (the driver and her parents were very insistent we "just sort it out amongst ourselves") the paramedic himself told me I shouldn't go with them in the ambulance, and instead get a friend to do it, because I didn't know if the woman who hit me had insurance and so whether or not I myself would be billed.

Very normal, being told my ambulance guys to avoid the ambulance. They did at least preface it with "I shouldn't be saying this, but..."
A similar thing happened to me in 2020. I smashed my face in a bicycle accident, cut my lip, and broke two teeth. An off-duty cop at a nearby gas station called for an ambulance. They took me to the hospital. That's it. No fancy life support. Not even lights and sirens. A few weeks later, I got a $2,000 bill from the ambulance service.

You see, the same non-profit owns the hospital and the ambulance. The hospital was in-network. The ambulance was not. Therefore, I was billed for what amounts to a very expensive Uber ride. I got the bill reduced by more than half by simply asking. But I'll be damned if I take another ambulance, even if I need it and my guts are spilling out of me, because how do I know if my insurance covers it?

Ambulances need to have a price board like an ice cream truck that explains what insurance they take.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They can't make a board like that because lol, hardly anybody knows if they're in network this week or not. You can't shop around because they just go "duuuh idk lol". Even if they did, that's not the end of the story. A provider that "takes Blue Cross" may still not be in network for your specific plan. My insurer has referred me to doctors who do not actually take my insurance.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I lived in the States for a couple of years, met lots of people and saw pretty much all your country has to offer, warts and all. I love your country and think you guys are generally pretty cool.

I wish we could give you our Canadian healthcare system, because I still get angry when an American friend reminds me that medical bankruptcy is a thing.

Goddamn that's hosed up.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ultramega OK posted:

Ambulances need to have a price board like an ice cream truck that explains what insurance they take.

A clumsy rendition of "Turkey In The Straw" echoes through the neighborhood. All the children erupt joyfully, "The healthcare truck! The healthcare truck is here!"

"Mom, can I have $3,000 for some basic rear end healthcare that would be free in any other developed nation?" begs young Billy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://x.com/DrTazKhalid/status/1716331081539166369?s=20

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Obamacare was a feckless half measure that was never going to nationalize our healthcare system, which is what is necessary, but during the discussion of what reforms there were, right wing opponents dishonestly mischaracterized the bill as nationalizing healthcare and brought up the prospect of "Death Panels."

That is unambiguously what private insurance already is. These are death panels. People dying because they are waiting for healthcare bureaucracy, because unseen lovely doctors slow walk approving life saving medications is an example of a death panel. This is serial murder through a spreadsheet and it happens every day. The worst scumbag street criminals might be scary and rob a liquor store or shoot someone at an ATM but few people in the world regularly murder or terrorize the public like health insurers with spreadsheets.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Zoeb posted:

Obamacare was a feckless half measure that was never going to nationalize our healthcare system, which is what is necessary, but during the discussion of what reforms there were, right wing opponents dishonestly mischaracterized the bill as nationalizing healthcare and brought up the prospect of "Death Panels."

That is unambiguously what private insurance already is. These are death panels. People dying because they are waiting for healthcare bureaucracy, because unseen lovely doctors slow walk approving life saving medications is an example of a death panel. This is serial murder through a spreadsheet and it happens every day. The worst scumbag street criminals might be scary and rob a liquor store or shoot someone at an ATM but few people in the world regularly murder or terrorize the public like health insurers with spreadsheets.

This but politicians can say they opposed it. Not like it was any different beforre or after they think.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

That particular thing is kind of weird that they were on nothing though, warfarin is cheap ($10/month) and not something that typically needs any kind of approval. Newer non vitamin K anticoagulants can be expensive (~$500/month) and need approvals, but their main deal is being equally good vs clotting but safer for bleeding and not needing regular monitoring bloodwork.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w99cEq4fAaU
Oh look! McKinsey is responsible for another massive corporate evil! (Yeah, the insurance companies are ultimately responsible for implementing it, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiOUojVd6xQ
I love their parody more honest version of McKinsey’s recruitment video where the old white guy is all,”That’s me!”

Good I hate this country right now, since I just can’t see the US being able to push through necessary positive changes any time soon.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Such is life in Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Nationalize all insurance, health, dental which is health, vision which is health, car, truck nuts, deez freaking nutz

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Oh no think of the lost parasite jobs for assholes

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I had an ambulance ride 2 blocks to the hospital once for a couple hours in the ER and it cost me $2500 after insurance lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also when my child was born and we had a c section I think we paid $500 for the whole ordeal.

American healthcare is just darts and the targets sometimes you pay nothing and sometimes your saddled with crippling lifelong debt. Also they dont tell you the values of any of the targets ahead of time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There should be loving nationwide riots over how bad our health insurance/cost of care situation is.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
and the schools, but americans do not give a single poo poo about their kids lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah it's definitely that and not because every time people try to get poo poo fixed it gets derailed or shut down by powerful entrenched interests who have a lot of money on the line and have set up a tried and tested system to prevent the citizenry from effecting change.