Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

flubber nuts posted:

imagine an employer actually giving a poo poo about your well being lmao. walmart actively took life insurance policies out on their old employees to make bank when they croaked.

My employer pays 100% of my premium for health, dental and vision reimburses me for 100% of out of pocket expenses up to my deductible, covers all but $1000 of my max out of pocket costs and pays 100% of my long and short term disability coverage.

Oh, we also have 2 weeks of additional sick leave if we are diagnosed with COVID including a home test on the honor system on top of 5 weeks of PTO I get.

Also there is no waiting period for health insurance, coverage starts on your first day of employeement.

Some employers don't actually hate their employees.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

My job is making sure insurance companies pay our claims. Their suckage goes a lot deeper than most people realize.

On of my friends is a nurse at an HIV practice and spends an inordinate amount of time getting insurance companies to give prior authorizations to cover antiretroviral therapy, drugs that have absolutely no off label uses for a disease that will almost certainly kill you if you don't take the drugs and there exists no alternative treatments. If a doctor is prescribing you them, you 100% have HIV and it is close to 100% fatal.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

but i need good credit to buy a house

LOL if you think you are ever going to be able to afford a house if you don't already have good credit and like 5 figures in your bank account at the age of 30.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Space Kablooey posted:

Thankfully this is my only experience with the American healthcare system but when he talks about being only able to change healthcare plans only at predetermined times of the year, it's only for things like Obamacare, right? Or does everyone can only change their plan at the end of the year?

:lol: if you think most people have a plan to change to.

Basically, unless you are the working poor you basically have zero control over your health insurance, it's whatever your employer offers you.

Some of us have amazing free insurance, most have whatever the minimum they are required to offer, also they charge you for it.

Literally no one understands any of it. My husband and me both have Blue Cross Blue Shield but completely different policies with completely different costs and benefits, a few years ago he suffered from a burst eardrum and the doctor told him he could be at risk of permanently losing his hearing if he didn't get special eardrops immediately and when I went to pick up the prescription the cashier pulled me aside with heavy eyes and quietly told me that after insurance it was going to be $175 because it was a "speciality" medication and asked if I still wanted to fill it. To save his hearing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

great big cardboard tube posted:

Pro tip, sign up between jobs while not receiving a paycheck or take some unpaid time off leading up to enrollment so you can report that monthly income.

If you do actually need healthcare it works out cheaper to pay way less all year for insurance than to earn more that month and then pay way more :thumbsup:

Pro-Tip: It's called an Advanced Premium Tax Credit, they advance you the money based on what you anticipate your actual tax return income will be, if you guess wrong and your actual income is higher you have to pay the money back.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The fun part of all that medical debt is it doesn't actually get paid, it is just used to torture poor sick people to drive up administrative costs.

Another fun fact:

There is something called the Medical Loss Ratio, it states that the maximum profit an insurance company can make is 20 percent of what they spend on medical care, anything over that has to be returned, thus, forcing insurance companies to be focused on patient care costs and not profits.

OK, think about this for a second....

20% of what the SPEND...

So, say they spend $1,000 on your MRI, they can only make $200 in profit.

What they spend...

Oh, also you have co-insurance, so they more they spend, the more you spend...

Think about that for a minute if you still aren't getting it...

Their profit is capped at what they spend, not how efficiently they spend it, if they spend more they are allowed to keep more in absolute dollars...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Just finished my taxes:

This stupid loving country.

edit: Non-Americans: This means my employer paid over 16,000 for my health insurance last year. For context, that is more than someone working full time making minimum wage makes, total. I went to the doctor once last year.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

you file your taxes in october?

Extension, I didn't owe money but had to deal with how to report some things.

Vegetable posted:

You going to the doctor once — or many times — isn’t really a factor in how much your employer pays for insurance.

I am aware, I am also aware that we live in a system where me having healthcare costs my employer as much as employing a person full-time to like, make burgers at McDonalds, who doesn't have healthcare.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 16, 2023