Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyman1405
Oct 4, 2023
Ever since March I have been on some insane personal quest to beat NES Tetris. I know it can be done. Its been many many hours of Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy followed by a rocket taking off into the sky or sometimes the Kremlin. This has led me down a dark path. I've bought so many NES controllers hoping that the next one I buy will get me to the finish line. I've accumulated a small museum of CRT TVs specifically for Tetris playing on every occasion. Why have more than one CRT TV you might ask? In this day and age you can never have enough TVs that aren't even being produced anymore. I mean come on. I am constantly telling my Mom that its okay to have more than 5 TVs in a room. I am just keeping pieces of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i like to play gameboy tetris while pooping but i cant do that with nes tetris because my wife would divorce me for making GBS threads in the couch so that's a no from me op

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I’d never realized how much different NES Tetris was to modern Tetris. Pieces in Tetris effect only stick when you let them stick, while old school Tetris gives you only a tiny window to move blocks around once they’ve landed

Anyway, I’m heading to Portland retro gaming expo in a week and which is where the World Championships are held.
Here’s a doc on the founding of the competition and who were the main people at the time - rip Jonas Neubauer.
https://watch.ecstasyoforder.com/

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Are we talking about the official NES Tetris, the Tengen version, the Famicom version or the sequel?

Like many, I have the NES version but I have the Famicom one as well. It's interesting how the same game can have different styles to it. That was until TTC locked down a rule set all others had to follow.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I did Tetris Gym for a bit but then I realized I dont care about participating in competitive tetris and now I do rosy retrospection so I can gameboy t spin.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Coffee Jones posted:

I’d never realized how much different NES Tetris was to modern Tetris. Pieces in Tetris effect only stick when you let them stick, while old school Tetris gives you only a tiny window to move blocks around once they’ve landed

Anyway, I’m heading to Portland retro gaming expo in a week and which is where the World Championships are held.
Here’s a doc on the founding of the competition and who were the main people at the time - rip Jonas Neubauer.
https://watch.ecstasyoforder.com/

I love to play NES Tetris but I think I’m close to maxing out what I can do score wise at 331,000 for my best game. I’m going to try Tetris gym and see if it helps. I want to try rolling but I mainly play on my analogue pocket so that is a no go until I get around to trying it on my mister.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJ5UuknsHU

great username
Dec 28, 2023

NES Tetris is a game I've been playing for over 30 years, and it's one of my most comfy favorites, so watching everything that's happening right now in the competitive scene is so loving COOL.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://youtu.be/T2-9wvKD1z4?feature=shared

Oh yeah. I love those broken color palettes

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

I watched this a few days ago, the video is really well made. Its so cool that there are 20-25+ year old games that are still being competitively played, and new strategies figured out. Like Starcraft BroodWar, Smash Bros Melee, Streetfighter, etc.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I was personal friends with Jonas for over 13 years before his death and was there for the first Tetris world championship. He was a true senior statesman to the Tetris community and would be so thrilled by how the Tetris scene has grown and grown.

I keep up with the community for fun occasionally now in his memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'd love to get into NES tetris but I just watched a video on what you need and there's a lot of stringent qualifications for the competitive games: You have to have the proper version of Tetris (NTSC vs Pal differences have led to different tournaments for each), an old school Nintendo with multiple controllers due to wear and tear, and multiple small CRT televisions (the later level's colour palettes can render blocks too hard to see on some CRT screens.) It seems like a huge pain in the rear end if you don't have that kind of stuff lying around already. It would be nice if there was some way I didn't have to invest in 40 year old technology to join up.