Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Hyahahaha! Failure as a human! Failure as a human!

Etrian Odyssey (Sekaiju no Meikyuu in Japan) is the first entry in the Etrian Odyssey series, developed by Atlus. The games are (with the exception of the Mistery Dungeon spin-offs) first person dungeon-crawlers, where you create a party up to 5 adventurers to explore the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. Originally released on January 18th 2007 for the Nintendo DS the main appeal of these games for many people including myself is being able to draw your own map instead of having the game do it for you. Unfortunately the first entry in the series had very few icons to do it properly, which can get very tedious at some points of the game.

On February 8th, 2023 a collection with the first 3 Etrian Odyssey games was announced during the Nintendo Direct for Steam and the Nintendo Switch, at that point I had already played and finished all games with the exception of the Mistery Dungeon spin-offs and Etrian Odyssey V. These included a lot of QoL improvements, better tools for mapping, remastered graphics, soundtrack, difficulty selection, etc. Playing Etrian Odyssey 1 was quite an experience...this game is probably my least favourite in the series but I do think all EO games are worth playing, even the DS ones.

I'll narrate the in-game events with this Yggdrasil Tree when needed.

Why play this game then?

Despite all the flaws this game has there are a few moments that are SO good, I could unironically justify playing the game up to that point just to experience them. I also happen to LOVE Etrian Odyssey.

Are you going to play all games?

Most likely yeah, it's the first time I do one of these and the preparation was brutal. Even for a game with very few characters and plot, and speaking of plot...

Any spoiler policy?

EO games tend to have barely any plot so please, avoid spoilers unless an update already showed it.

This game has 2 unlockable classes, will you use them from the start?

If I do the LP about my guild eh...probably. But if a character someone else submitted then yes!

Oh an EO LP, where do I submit my characters?!

Please read the Update 0, even if you're a newcomer or a veteran of the series.

You should join the EO Discord NOW! :science:

:carol:Gifs/Images won't load? Here's the LPix link:carol:

Update 0: You sign up a good crew?
Update 1: Etria, the town that feeds on explorers
Update 2: The sweet smell of poison
Mini-Update: The Aegis, the Bard and the Weeb
Update 3: Deer me!
Mini Update: Gathering Ft.The Farmbot Thieves
Update 4: The bonds between explorers
Update 5: FOE Hunt
Update 6: Hexers are good, and here's why
Fenrir Overview
Update 7: Guild Mikado vs Toothless Tiger

Update 8, Part 1: Bravery's Gift
Update 8, Part 2: Click here to find FOEs in your area
Update 9: Hazardous Petal
Update 10, Part 1: The Arthropods and the Wyvern
Update 10, Part 2: Man vs. Wild
Update 11: The Royal Hallway
Update 12: Five Nights at B8F
Cernunnos Overview
Update 13: Guild Mikado vs King of the Rollers
Mini-Update: Fenrir Rematch

Update 14: Welcome to the Circus Ft. Radha Soldiers
Update 15: Can a giant turtle catch the flu?
Update 16: Myrmecophiles
Golem and Royalant Overview
Update 17: Guild Mikado vs A Terrible Mother and The Sentinel of Stupidity
Update 18: Bothersome Guys
Update 19: Azure Water Park
Update 20: Guild Mikado vs The Master of Wind and Water

Miscellaneous Info

Stats, Level Scaling and Ailments/Binds
1st Stratum Enemies/FOEs

Take/Chop/Mine Points

First Stratum: Emerald Grove

Class Overviews

Landsknecht Overview

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

THE MIKADO GUILD

:carol: If your character wasn't picked and you'd still like to join don't worry. Although Etrian Odyssey 1 doesn't have Bar Patrons like the rest of the games I can pick those characters and make them give useful (or not so useful) tips to the party while they also make progress on their own guild. If you'd like your character to grant their wisdom at the Golden Deer Pub you can send me a message or just leave a comment. :carol:

Yolanda by myself

"Spin like a sword, crush like an Axe!"

Arriving to Etria wearing a red cape made by her siblings, some old armor her cousin didn't needed and a handmade sweater from her mom. Yolanda is eager to explore the Yggdrasil labyrinth to uncover its secrets. Being part of the lower class and having a lot of siblings Yolanda trained hard with her cousin Sanagi and learned how to use both Swords and Axes alike. Allthough a bit naive and shy, she's a natural born leader and can lead even the most disfunctional team to victory.

Dislikes: Being put in charge, monsters, people taking advantage of others.

Salvador by Prexot

"¡Salvaré el mundo!"

Salvador, or Salva for short, or Sal for shorter, hails from a land across the ocean to the east. An exceptional archer able to handle heavy bows yet still stay light on his feet, he defended his town and its people by hunting monsters.
One day, the town's shaman had a vision of a terrible nature: Across the ocean was a town named Etria, which had next to it a mysterious labyrinth. And in that labyrinth was a creature so terrible that its existence was a threat to the entire world. However, the shaman was not able to see what that monster was.
Salvador saw this as his calling. Bidding his town farewell, he took a ship across the ocean and made his way to Etria. He then proceeded to walk into the forest alone and encounter a single giant rat, which nearly killed him. Realizing that he would need allies in his mission, he found his way to the Explorer's Guild, where, as luck would have it, he found a certain Landsknecht.
Salvador is highly devoted to his purpose, and naturally works together well with people who are doing the same things anyway, even if they're not in it for the same reasons, or they don't believe his fanciful story.
As an archer, Salvador favors using his bow to launch salvos of arrows at enemies, reflecting his belief that the best way to protect other people is to kill everything that threatens them as fast as possible. Though he may be convinced to learn to use his speed and sharp senses to help the party as well. Not gathering, though. Get someone else to do that.
Believing that any monster might be the one to fulfill his duty, he always advocates fighting FOEs rather than avoiding them, though he will begrudgingly go along with the team if they choose otherwise.

Likes: killing FOEs, fighting bosses, saying things in a language nobody else understands.
Dislikes: avoiding FOEs, gathering, seeing civilians hurt.

Stace by BraveLittleToaster

Attracted to the image of the never-die Protectors since her days of youth, Stace has taken her share of lumps. Quite more lumps than any normal person usually takes, as it happens. Tripping, falling from high up, cabinets falling down on her, getting in the center of multiple large tavern brawls, getting bowled over by a rockfall. She's crawled out from under a tree that fell on top of her, and brushed herself off before getting back to training. Her luck's notoriously terrible, but she's gotten hard to faze, physically or mentally. And after getting some actual Protector training, including a handy shield and armor to absorb more blows, she feels ready to explore the illustrious Labyrinth from the stories, so she may tell her own.

She's generally optimistic about most things, and likes to both hear and dispense banter and stories. She's very dedicated to and serious about being a Protector, but very casual once you get to know her.

Likes: Blocking, shields, armor, stories, reliable people, and a good drink.
Dislikes: Rockfalls, falling trees, avalanches, floods, pits, lightning, shoddy carpentry, fleeing, or giving up.

Duncan by Zade

"Wait you're telling me I get to make new friends AND kill monsters? Count me in!"

Duncan's first thought upon seeing the sketches of the monsters in the earliest strata of the labyrinth was "I bet I could take them!".

Duncan wasn't typically interested in books, particularly non-fiction but when his Dad had taken him to the library to look for a scientific journal he needed, Duncan had noticed the book "Sketches and Stories of the Yggdrasil Adventurers" and was instantly intriged.

Duncan might be a cheery and friendly kid but he wasn't the type to shy away from conflict. Even aside from the swordplay he had been taught by his Mum, he took up learning the whip just to be even more well versed in combat. He loves honesty and would much rather someone speak their mind and risk hurting his feelings than be afraid to speak at all. Though when he is critisised, it does strike a blow to his ego and can put a damper on the rest of his day.

Likes: Sweets, hugs, winning, family, making friends, fighting
Dislikes: Lying, being made a fool of, people telling him to "calm down", "it's not worth it" or "just let it go" when he's been treated unfairly.

Heilen by Gilgamesh255

A medical practitioner that has constantly wandered from town to town, with rumors abound. Unpleasant rumors abound about him, all fantastical, and none true. He was simply a doctor who had to leave his town due to forgetting to pay his taxes, and the local barony was NOT very understanding. Now, he wanders from town to town, plying his trade, in hopes of gaining enough money to buy a place to settle down in, and set up shop there, and help people feel good.

Generally a cheery sort, sometimes to the point of being somewhat creepy, though sometimes he'll go into a snarky sarcastic mood if someone or something annoys him too much.

He originally hailed from a town somewhat near Lagaard, which explains his accent and name.

Likes: Seeing his patients' smiling faces, easing the suffering of others, money, eating various cuisines, cats and dogs
Dislikes: Seeing people suffer if he can help it, people dying before him despite his best efforts, mostly unfinished meals, jerks who outright piss him off.

Melissa by thesim

Even as a child, Melissa was a precocious handful, and as soon as she got her tiny little hands on an alchemical gauntlet everything went to hell. She swiftly rose to prominence as a budding young alchemist, confounding her master with her quick grasp and natural talent. Alchemy came to her almost as naturally as breathing, and she constantly pushed against the safeguards and restrictions her master tried to lay down. Finally, frustrated with the constant rules and "being held back", she left on her own for the rumored city of Etria and its Labyrinth, determined to carve a name for herself and show just how special she truly was.

Likes: Alchemy, ice cream, the color red, long naps and walks, famed dreamboat alchemist Gunther of Lagaard (total hunk)
Dislikes: Being doubted, talking about her family (it's complicated), wet clothes, pigs, studying

Cantata by PhazonMotherBrain

Cantata is a child prodigy with musical performances, learning how to create fantastic songs at the age of six.
However, she and her parents are also broke, and are struggling to afford food to eat.
One day though, she had read about how Troubadours were very heavily requested by exploration guilds that gained lots of money, so while her parents were asleep, she wrote a note that said "I'm going to join a guild and help us buy things with money from the guild!", and set off to Etria before her parents could wake up and stop her.
Unfortunately, while she'd read about how guilds gained lots of money with what they collected from explorations, she didn't actually know what a guild does. "It's fine though. I just need to play music and sing for them, right?"
Also, while she went to Etria to find a guild to join, she didn't pay enough attention to what she was reading to notice that Troubadours were heavily requested in High Lagaard by guilds.
Now that she's in Etria, she has yet to find a guild that's been willing to have her join, and has been blissfully unaware that most startup guilds A: don't want a six-year-old joining, and B: have been wanting Alchemists instead. She believes it's only a matter of time before a guild has her join though, and is just happily waiting for that to happen, practicing her songs in the meantime.

Dislikes: Going hungry.

Misaka Tsukino by Bogresknecht

Misaka sailed to Etria from a land far east, having heard that they were seeking explorers to document the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. Her hometown, Tenshi no Machi, is rather isolated. Legends tell of their ancestors, who lived on an island chain to the west, and who taught them everything they know and how to live properly. Eventually, the people of the town forgot where their ancestors were from, only that the land was called “Nihon” and was west of them. Reading about Etria, Misaka concluded that it must be Tenshi’s ancestral lands, and resolved to go there and find out more about her ancestors' grand civilization of the past era. However, she wasn’t quite expecting Etria to be so...backwards. Tenshi was but a shadow of Nihon, but they at least had various books and films passed down by the ancestors! She was also expecting a lot more grand battles between heroes, great demons, and giant monsters... The monsters in Yggdrasil seem awfully puny...at least for now. But she only had enough money for the boat fare to Etria, not back to Tenshi, so she’s stuck here for now, until she can find out where Nihon truly lies.

Likes: “classical Nipponese swordplay”, “historical Nipponese texts”, exercising in general.
Dislikes: the quiet country life, poor room ventilation, unexciting battles.

Rina by Cayjax

A Hexer that had been sealed in chains to protect herself from the magic she performs, as if when engaging in combat the amount of dmg she could deal would also place a restraint on her body.

After she had made her way towards Etria and joined a guild, she had been trying to help and succeeding at times. Yet even then she gave the creeps, once there was a misunderstanding that led to her eventually being left behind on the laberynth. Even then she held no personal emotions towards them, it was not the first time that people had misread her intentions.
Thus she stood on that floor wandering around to use Hexes to control monsters and animals that would bring her food and water to survive.

Likes: Scary stories, dancing (even if she cant move her arms the legs and hips can do plenty of the work) and trying to help others (even if they are scared of her)
Dislikes: Bugs, Hot temperatures.

BAR PATRONS

Montagne by TaroStewDude

Monty was born to a long line of royal knights, and was destined to take up the sword and shield in defense of Etria. Unfortunately, he proved incompetent with a sword, almost losing one of his eyes during a mere spar. He was thus deemed unfit for service as a knight and was instead assigned to be a generic guard, doomed to spend his days in painful mediocrity. For decades he accepted this role, but when he saw adventurers flood into Etria’s labyrinth, a spark of ambition lit within him. Perhaps he too could find greatness within the labyrinth, just like these adventurers did! He donned his armor, collected his armaments, and enlisted in a guild with a youthful glint in his eye. Who knows, maybe his hyperspecialization in the usage of shields will come in handy every now and then.

Dislikes: Swords, his allies getting hurt, sharp objects in general

Dandri by Crayo

"Their innate gifts are rarely seen" Is the first thing that comes to mind when speaking about Hexers. What could be even more uncommon to see than that? A frontline Hexer of course. Dandri started the same way as the majority of scholars arriving to Etria, wanting to study the creatures inside the Labyrinth and see how different they are compared to our normal world. Unfortunately so many hits in the head deteriorated her mind, all she can do now is babble about creatures no one has seen yet. Frequent customers at the Golden Deer and veteran explorers will always tell you to get away from her, but those who take the time to listen to her stories tend to find gold where most people would only see rubble.

Likes: Labyrinth monsters, nature and people with good manners.
Dislikes: Rude people and the color yellow.

Fanart

PhazonMotherBrain made a very accurate depiction of Misaka finally getting a Katana after 5 updates.

Cayjax made this amazing drawing of Misaka and Salvador.

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 7, 2023

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
aw heck yeah more etrian odyssey :getin:

Calypso, Survivalist, portrait 5

Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, Calypso hails from a small town where hunters were some of the most important and respected members. As is tradition for fledgling hunters, she's been sent to explore the world and learn what she could for a year before returning home and joining her trainers as a full hunter. She's very excited about exploration and wildlife, if not more than a little naive, and pretty sheltered. Not really in it for the long haul or to solve any mysteries, but the growing reputation of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth made it sound like the perfect place to gain some experience before coming back. Kind of a goofball, but makes up for it with a keen eye and steady hand.

Likes: archery, cheese, getting up in the morning, cute animals, non cute animals, just animals really
Dislikes: coffee, grumpy people early in the morning, heavy packloads, poisonous plants, venomous plants, carnivorous plants

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Name: Heilen
Medic, Portrait 5

A medical practitioner that has constantly wandered from town to town, with rumors abound. Unpleasant rumors abound about him, all fantastical, and none true. He was simply a doctor who had to leave his town due to forgetting to pay his taxes, and the local barony was NOT very understanding. Now, he wanders from town to town, plying his trade, in hopes of gaining enough money to buy a place to settle down in, and set up shop there, and help people feel good.

Generally a cheery sort, sometimes to the point of being somewhat creepy, though sometimes he'll go into a snarky sarcastic mood if someone or something annoys him too much.

He originally hailed from a town somewhat near Lagaard, which explains his accent and name.

Likes: Seeing his patients' smiling faces, easing the suffering of others, money, eating various cuisines, cats and dogs
Dislikes: Seeing people suffer if he can help it, people dying before him despite his best efforts, mostly unfinished meals, jerks who outright piss him off.

Edit: Redid his name, along with adding in additional information for flavor.

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 6, 2023

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Something I should've asked before I submitted my character, what's the character limits for names? Also, I'm fairly certain what the answer is, but I'm asking anyway, what's your stance on spoilers?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Name: Stace
Protector, Portrait 2

Attracted to the image of the never-die Protectors since her days of youth, Stace has taken her share of lumps. Quite more lumps than any normal person usually takes, as it happens. Tripping, falling from high up, cabinets falling down on her, getting in the center of multiple large tavern brawls, getting bowled over by a rockfall. She's crawled out from under a tree that fell on top of her, and brushed herself off before getting back to training. Her luck's notoriously terrible, but she's gotten hard to faze, physically or mentally. And after getting some actual Protector training, including a handy shield and armor to absorb more blows, she feels ready to explore the illustrious Labyrinth from the stories, so she may tell her own.

She's generally optimistic about most things, and likes to both hear and dispense banter and stories. She's very dedicated to and serious about being a Protector, but very casual once you get to know her.

Likes: Blocking, shields, armor, stories, reliable people, and a good drink.
Dislikes: Rockfalls, falling trees, avalanches, floods, pits, lightning, shoddy carpentry, fleeing, or giving up.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Something I should've asked before I submitted my character, what's the character limits for names? Also, I'm fairly certain what the answer is, but I'm asking anyway, what's your stance on spoilers?

9 characters, compared to the original where it was 8. As for spoilers, EO1 has barely any plot but that's what makes some events later on to be more impactful. Please don't spoil anything unless I already showed it or mentioned it.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Might as well.

Name: Quixote
Protector, Portrait 5

If you listen to Quixote, he would state that he's an legendary hero that saved the world from an evil threat in a far-off land, earning him the title of knight. If you talk to everyone else, you'd find out that he he's viewed as a crazy old man who has a tedency of making tall tales that range from questionable to outright lies. Due to this, he decided to "conquer the labyrinth to prove Etria of his skills and worth as a knight" and that's how he's in Etria. Oddly enough, there might be some truth (unintentional or not) to his tales for all we know...

Likes: Adventuring, chivalry, heroism, slaying dragons, doing quests, rescuing damsels in distress and a nice warm soup.
Dislikes: Skepticism, dastardly villains, not doing quests, people taking the easy way out, retiring and his back acting up.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

TomatoPawah posted:

9 characters, compared to the original where it was 8. As for spoilers, EO1 has barely any plot but that's what makes some events later on to be more impactful. Please don't spoil anything unless I already showed it or mentioned it.

Dang, I am going to have to redo my character's name when I have the chance; off by just one.

And done, if a bit on the nose.

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 6, 2023

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Allright! It took some time but the guild is finally ready. If your character wasn't picked don't worry. Although Etrian Odyssey 1 doesn't have Bar Patrons like the rest of the games I'll pick those characters and make them give useful (or not so useful) tips to the party while they also make progress on their own. If you'd like your character to grant their wisdom at the Golden Deer Pub you can send me a message or just leave a comment. Update 1 should be ready today.

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 8, 2023

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Assuming my character doesn't make the cut (which I doubt, but one can never be sure), I wouldn't mind having him as an advice npc. That said, I hope he makes the cut.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Assuming my character doesn't make the cut (which I doubt, but one can never be sure), I wouldn't mind having him as an advice npc. That said, I hope he makes the cut.

I updated the main post, Heilen is officially part of the guild :)

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

TomatoPawah posted:

I updated the main post, Heilen is officially part of the guild :)

:toot:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 0: You sign up a good crew?

"Music: Spinning the Tale"

Remember those lines, they'll be very important in the future.

We'll be using NG+ to have the two unlockable classes from the start, of course I'm not going to carry any progress to this save.

Behold, difficulty settings! Here's a brief description.

Picnic

For those who like a walk in the park

quote:

We recommend this difficulty for those that wish to enjoy the story, but may be inexperienced. Battles are easier compared to other difficulty settings. Items like Ariadne Thread will not be consumed when used, taking off some pressure during gameplay. The difficulty can be changed during the game through the Options Menu while in town

Basic

For those who enjoy overcoming trials

quote:

This is the recommended difficulty for first-time players or RPG enthusiasts. The difficulty can be changed during the game through the Options Menu while in town

Expert

For the fearless who love a challenge

quote:

This difficulty is for those who enjoyed previous Etrian Odyssey titles or who love a challenge. The difficulty can be changed during the game through the Options Menu while in town.

Surprise! Expert it's the "normal" difficulty.

After playing the DS version it would feel so wrong for me to play the series in anything but Expert. If you're a newcomer I'd suggest you to play on Basic, Picnic grants you 50% extra EXP and it's fantastic for grinding.

Any able-bodied adventurer was invited to investigate the forest and explore its depths. But no matter how many came to investigate the dungeon, none gained the renown they sought.

Huff...huff...

As more adventurers tried and failed to conquer it, it came to be known by a new name...

I'm finally here...! Phew, so this is Etria...

"Music: The Roadside Trees Outside the Window"

Did you enjoy the intro? Good, because that's all the plot we'll be getting for a loooooooong time. The only option available right now is the Explorers Guild, let's take a look.

"Music: That Name Was Engraved Into the 100th Volume!"

Some useless trivia, the text is different on the DS.

This is the Guildmaster, his name is Ganryu. However, the only way to know that is reading the artbook.

YES SIR!

Then welcome, friend. Not many guilds lately are admitting new adventurers.

Oh...

Those shortsighted losers care too much about trifles to do any real investigation. If you've got the guts, you should make a guild entirely for newcomers.

Oh! No, not at all sir. I came here to join a guild you see. I'm sure if I stay here for a while I--

Fine, I guess I can give it a try...

Great, then let's get started. Write what you want to call your guild in this ledger. Someday the world will know this name, so think carefully before choosing it.

Let's see...

I'm feeling clever today.

Mikado, huh? Not a bad name. Now that you've got a guild, you'll need adventurers to fill it. Of course, you can go into the labyrinth yourself. If you've got the stones, then register your own name as a member. More adventurers means more options open to you, and less of a chance of dying down there.

Mmm...

Think about it for a while, and make sure you register a variety of classes into your guild.

Okay! This is where the fun begins. At the Explorers Guild we can register up to 30 members (compared to the original where the max was 20)

Not that is a massive improvement over the DS version! Have a look.

You can also check the skills before creating the character which is always welcome. Let's see the classes.

Landsknecht

quote:

Masters of Sword and Axe, Landsknechts can bear a wide range of weapons and armor in close combat

Balanced warriors for the front line

Like the description says, Landsknechts can use use both swords and axes. The first one has a kit based around multiple targets and some elemental coverage, while axes focus on single target HEAVY damage. Very good against random encounters, bosses and can take a beating. Pretty much the most basic and reliable unit you can have on your team.

Landsknecht Overview

Survivalist

quote:

Fleet-footed and wise in the ways of the forest, their bow skills make them desirable allies.

Fast-acting fighters useful in either line

Survivalists are ranged attack supports, being able to detect enemies and gather resources while inside the labyrinth... at least that was the idea. Survivalists are able to deal heavy damage, are very fast and have some amazing passive skills to help the entire team. Despite being archers, they have decent HP and VIT and can stay in the frontline without issues.

Protector

quote:

Holy defenders of the weak. A Protector's sword and shield are invaluable tools when in the dungeon

Best used as front-line warriors

Huh, the in-game description is once again very fitting. Protectors are great to have around, being able to reduce the damage to the frontline and backline, reduce/block/drain elemental damage and having the highest STR stat in the game alongside the Ronin for some reason. The catch? Well, they're a bit hungry when it comes to skill points and they'll be too busy guarding the party to do anything else most of the time. Still, a very important unit to have on your team.

Dark Hunter

quote:

Pinpoint lashes of their whip can weaken opponents. Use their skills wisely to turn the tide of battles.

Their skills are best used in the front

Just like the Landsknecht, Dark Hunters can choose between two paths. They can use Whips (focusing on binding body parts) or Swords (some ailments and higher damage) I never really used a Dark Hunter on my DS playthrough since binds were a bit unreliable and their damage wasn't that impressive. So, what about the HD version? Inflicting binds is a lot more reliable and can last several turns compared to the other games. Dark Hunters are really good units to get the upper hand in battle, locking enemies from using their stronger skills or dealing heavy damage while trying to incapacitate them.
Note: Hey, future me here. Using a sword is fantastic

Medic

quote:

Unskilled in battle, their healing arts allow experienced warriors to survive difficult battles

Use their healing gifts from the back

Medics are the only healer in the game. Despite the description saying they are "unskilled" in battle they have access to one of the strongest skills in the game and it's only unlocked after maxing out their attack. Last but not least they have a skill called Immunize. How do I put this...? Okay so using a max level immunize will make your party take 60% less damage or even 85%. Even if you don't abuse immunize not having a Medic is pretty much suicide unless you really know what you're doing. They even got buffed on the HD collection HAHAHA.

Alchemist

quote:

Those who study the control of nature. The power of fire, ice and lightning is at their command

Elementalists who prefer the back

The standard mage class, Alchemists rely on casting powerful Fire/Ice/Volt spells to destroy their enemies. If you manage their skill points properly, they can have elemental coverage through the entire game. Unfortunately once you reach the endgame they're not as powerful on their own and will have to rely on teamwork to stay relevant. Overall a good class to have around, especially on the early and midgame when you really need some elemental coverage against enemies who resist physical damage but are weak to magic.

Troubadour

quote:

Lively dancers and singers who inspire the party. Their support is always welcome in combat.

Supporters able to work on either line

Troubadours are dedicated supports. They are able to buff your physical attack, restore TP every turn, erase enemy buffs, etc. Troubadours don't have a single skill to deal damage but when you have so much to offer to pretty much any part, do you really care about that? Something worth mentioning about their buffs is that they have an unlimited duration.

Ronin

quote:

Foreign masters of all forms of combat. Considering honorable death a virtue, their defense is lacking

Proud soldiers who demand the front

The first unlockable class. Ronin struggles very hard when fighting more than one enemy and have very low TP. Their main appeal is the severe damage they can deal to a single target, making them able to burst down bosses very quickly. Unfortunately, on a normal playthrough you'll have to wait several hours to unlock them. If you're using NG+ like myself or a mod, you can't really use your early Ronin due to the shop not having katanas at the start of the game.

Hexer

quote:

Their hexes dictate whether an enemy lives or dies. Their innate gifts are rarely seen

Tormentors used to the back line.

If the Troubadour skillset was based around making the party stronger with buffs, the Hexer kit revolves around making the enemy weaker via debuffs, ailments and binding body parts to give the team a massive advantage. The biggest issue with Hexers is how long it takes to unlock them in a normal playthrough. They're unlocked after Ronin and they come at Lv. 1 so uh... enjoying grinding them from scratch! This a bit more manageable on the HD version due to the existence of Picnic Mode

New Adventurers

And finally, the DLC portraits. We have Ringo from Soulless Hackers 2 and Joker from Smash Ultimate. These 2 were available by pre-ordering the game or buying them as DLC now. I guess I could use Ringo but I have plans for Joker...

You got all that rookie?

:kiddo:

Let's make a Landsknecht and... you know I actually hate those portraits. I want a Ronin portrait but they're too squishy, what to do?

You can create a unit with any portrait you want, with some minor exceptions but I'll leave that for the sequel. Anyway, let's create a character this time for real.

Ugh... so much exposition, I want to explore the labyrinth already!

I'll use my own characters for now. Let's check on the organize menu.

Retire

Once you reach level 30, you'll unlock this feature. The units you retire will leave the Guild but in exchange a new recruit with extra skill points and a boost to a single stat (depending on the class) will replace them. The new recruit will come at Lv 1 and any equipment the other unit had will be stored on your inventory unless it's full.

The higher the Lv. the higher the bonuses.

Lv. 30-39: +2 skill points +1 stat point
Lv. 40-49: +3 skill points +1 stat point
Lv. 50-59: +4 skill points +2 stat points
Lv. 60-69: +5 skill points +2 stat points
Lv. 70: +6 skill points +3 stat points

Note: Multiple retirements won't stack; the game will only count the last time you did it

The boosted stat will depend on the class you choose after retiring.

STR: Landsknecht, Ronin
VIT: Protector
TEC: Medic, Alchemist, Hexer
AGI: Survivalist, Dark Hunter, Troubadour

So... is retirement worth it in this game? Well... if you're playing the DS version and don't have/don't want to use EXP multipliers it's completely worthless. On the HD Remaster is... kind of viable due to Picnic mode granting 50% extra EXP. The thing is, while more skill points are always welcome the stat boost is pathetic and won't really help the class all that much.

Rest

Reset skill points in exchange for losing 5 levels. In case you messed up your build this is the option you want; on the DS version the penalty was 10 levels and Picnic mode didn't exist yet. Not much to say here, you can always play blind or check the skills beforehand to avoid the extra grinding. It's up to you.

Dismiss

The adventurer will leave the guild immediately. Pretty self-explanatory, Etrian Odyssey 1 isn't really a game where you need to create a ton of units (one of each is more than enough) but hey the option is always there.

Rename

In exchange for 1000 En you will be able to change the name of a single character. This wasn't a thing on the original, found a typo and want to change it? Sorry, live with it or retire the adventurer. 1000 En is a lot of money on the early game so be careful when naming your explorers to avoid using this too early.

Change Appearance

Allows you to change the portrait, this is free and can be done as soon as you start playing.

Change Equipment

Useful if you don't want to put someone on your party to change a piece of gear, you can also do this on the shop.

On the Formation menu we can organize our party, this game uses a row system. We can either use a 3-2 or 2-3 formation, I personally prefer 3-2.

Lastly, being able to register and call a formation is very useful and will save a lot of time, this wasn't a thing on the DS. Let's talk to the Guildmaster again.

That's what the Guildmaster says for 90% of the game, even the 3DS remake makes fun of it. Alright let's leave, solo Landsknecht run!

But take my advice: it'll get pretty dangerous if you have fewer than five. Do what you want though. I'm not gonna force you.

Is that so?

That's all I can explain about the Explorers Guild, this is the moment y’all been waiting for. The idea of this LP was to use my own guild but after thinking about it some more I decided to let people submit their own characters! If enough people are interested, I'll go along with them. If not, I'll just use my guild. Let me give you an example of how to submit a character.

Landsknecht Portrait 5
Name: Yolanda

"Spin like a sword, crush like an Axe!"

Arriving to Etria wearing a handmade red cape their little brothers and sisters made, some old armor his cousin gave her and a sweater made with love; Yolanda is eager to explore the Yggdrasil labyrinth to uncover its secrets. Being part of the lower class and having a lot of siblings Yolanda trained hard with his cousin Sanagi and learned how to use Swords and Axes. Although a bit naive, she's a natural born leader and can lead even the most dysfunctional team to victory.

Dislikes: Being put in charge, monsters, people taking advantage of others.

There, something like that, the more you tell me about the character the better! Feel free to ask if you have a question and thank you for reading!

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 2, 2024

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 1

The guild master is right señorita, besides...

Besides...?

Call me crazy if you want, but at the bottom of this place lurks something far too dangerous for a single person. I tried to convince other explorers but they were blinded by greed and fame. I had to sneak past the guards to enter the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. After trying to explore on my own, a single rat injured me really badly. At this rate I won't be able to stop the evil lurking at the core of Yggdrasil.

This is the first time I hear about this... evil. If we can't protect ourselves then we can't even protect Etria. Well comrade! Tell me your name!

Mi nombre es Salvador, you can call me Sal if that's easier for you. Even if I lost my equipment down there trying to escape, I can offer my keen senses and some knowledge of the first floor

The name's Yolanda, let us work together and defeat evil.

The visions will never become true, I swear it.

Heh, I never heard of anything like that in all the years I've been in charge of the Explorers Guild, but I'm glad you rookies are getting along. Think about what I told you, have a look around town and maybe come back with a full party. Only the strongest explorers certified by the Radha can deal with the labyrinth on their own. Oh, and tell your survivalist friend to never sneak around like that. The Radha has a reputation to maintain and a survivalist hiding past the guards to enter the labyrinth won't help.

Understood.

Will do Mr. Guild master! L-Let's go Sal...

The name is Ganryu, good luck rookies.

We now have access to the whole Town, let's see if we can enter the labyrinth.

Yes!

Well, if you want to get into the Labyrinth, you'll need the Radha's permission first. No permission, no entry, no exceptions.

You should heed the soldier's advice and visit Radha Hall.

Tch... can you believe those guards? Acting all high and mighty while staying at the entrance all day. The explorers are the ones who keep the peace in Etria...

Wow, what a beautiful dress, and the gloves are cute accessories.

T-They're not just gloves! Is this the first time you see an Alchemist? Unbelievable...!

Did I say something wrong?

No, you did good. Let's look for Radha Hall.

Wait! Radha Hall? Are you trying to explore the labyrinth too?

That's right, we are the future heroes of Etria. Descending into the labyrinth to vanquish the evil who lurks--

Yes, we are. Why, are you going to support us using your pettiness?

First you mock me, and then you have the nerve to call me petty. Maybe I should burn those arrows using my gauntlets...

You think I need a bow to defend myself?

H-Hey! That's enough! The real enemy is down there, fights between comrades isn't the way we do things back in my hometown. If you're serious about your purpose here then please don't start any fights Sal.

Comrade...?

Right... whatever you say jefa. I'll leave this to your judgement.

We're going to the labyrinth, if you want to show those gauntlets do it against the enemy. The name's Yolanda, can we count with you?

I suppose... You'll need some elemental coverage after all.

Then welcome aboard~ Let's do our best.

I'm Melissa, let's do our...best.

"Music: Festival of Worship"

Are you here to accept the mission we give to newcomers?

Y-yes!

Follow me, and mind your manners when speaking to the Subaltern Quinn!

Wow... I've never been in such a fancy place.

Increíble...

Not as big as the academy where I learned about alchemy but still... very impressive.

I assume, newcomers, that you are en route to investigate the forest.

And to defeat the evil.

You don't have to say that all the time, you know.

However, we don't recognize just anyone who manages to throw together a guild. If you wish to become licensed adventurers, first complete the mission we give you.

A new mission is available. Select "Accept missions" from the menu to see the details.

Welcome to Radha Hall, from time to time we'll be asked to accept missions to make progress in the main story. For now, let's accept the tutorial mission.

Those who cannot accomplish this elementary task are better off staying out of the forest. Explore the 1st floor and map everything you see there. This method will be useful later. Here is a small map to start you off; fill in the rest of the details as best as you can.

Woah! Look at how many tools we have, is this what you used to-

Shhh...!

Oh! Right...

Is there a problem?

No, they're just like that.

Now, go to the forest and get the details from the soldier on the 1st floor.

Here's a reminder in case you stop playing the game for a while and can't remember what you were doing.

We can also report our findings here, not like we have anything yet.

What is the purpose of this place?

When adventurers discover new beasts and objects, we are equipped to note their findings. It would be a great help, explorers of Mikado, if you would contribute as well.

Do you know how to do those Sal?

Not at all, we'll have to find someone who knows how to analyze the monsters.

Let's check the Golden Deer Pub.

"Music: The Lounge Where We Speak of Tomorrow”

So pretty...

Even prettier...

. . .

Flattery will get you nowhere. Are you three new in town? If you're going down in the Labyrinth, you should visit the Radha first. Every adventurer's got to go through Radha Hall before they're officially recognized.

We just talked to the Subaltern Quinn, he told us to fill this map but that can wait, right?

Sorry, hon, but my hands are tied. I can't give you any work until then. Once you're legit, come and see me again, all right? I'll be looking forward to it.

Hey, can I get some coffee? This is going to be a long day; I can already tell.

Same here

: coffee: : coffee:

Oh, I want something sweet then!

I swear there is a point in doing all this. At the Golden Deer Pub we can take quests to kill monsters, gather items, etc. Unfortunately, these are locked until we finish the first mission. Oh yeah, her name is Valerie (Sakuya in Japan) let's try talking to her.

We're customers already, can't you just let us do requests?

I know mapping the forest is hard, but everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck out there.

You should listen to Valerie, rushing towards the Labyrinth will only get you killed. With armor like that you won't even last a second against the weaker monsters of the labyrinth.

And you are...?

Wow... Save some of that heated gaze for the monsters. I'm Montagne, but you can call me Monty, and I'm not telling you this just to poke fun at you. Head to your left after leaving the pub and you'll find a shop, the only one in Etria really, there you can stock on weapons and armor. Now, medicine? That's a different story, you better get used to Etria and be prepared at all times. If you come back alive, I'll tell you more tricks only an old man like me would know. Good luck.

Yuck these berries are sour...

...?! Y-You're right. I wonder where they picked them. I didn't saw any berries growing on the first floor.

...? They are perfectly fine. Maybe it's a matter of taste. Here, I'll pay this time... let's get along, okay Sal?

Come again kiddos.

Mmm.

Shilleka's Goods has my favourite shopkeeper in the series. You guessed it, Shilleka!

Eeeeeeeeh? What do you mean you don't have katanas yet? How am I supposed to follow my path as a samurai? Nihon would have katanas, this isn't Nihon...!

Nihon? Not sure whatcha' mean by t'at.

Buaaaaaaaa!

Well maybe these two aren't that bad after all...

Are you t'guild I hear 'bout wit' only new folk?

Are we that famous already? Sweet!

Explorers like you are my best customers! I look forward t'doing business witcha.

These are the weapons we can buy for now; remember you need specific weapons to use some skills. Unlocking a Whip skill won't do anything if you don't have, well... a whip. From now on I'll just use the icons so pay attention here.

Swords: Landsknecht, Protector, Dark Hunter. Some exceptions include Troubadour and Ronin.
Staffs: Medic, Alchemist, Troubadour and Hexer
Axes: Landsknecht.
Katanas: Ronin.
Bows: Survivalist, Troubadour.
Whips: Dark Hunter.

Note: A single sword in the game (not counting the dagger) can be used by all classes.

Weapons are now categorized instead of being a huge list, a welcome change.

Chest armor.
Shields.
Helmets.
Gloves.
Boots.

Armor is… weird. First of all, chest armor is divided between heavy armor, light armor and clothes. Later entries added multiple icons for each one but I'll just specify the armor type when I unlock new stuff. Armor is very pathetic in this game; I suggest you to buy a chest piece and stack 2 accessories as soon as you can afford it. You see those letters? They're the classes of the game, try checking those first before buying anything.

:siren: Remember to buy a shield for your protector, or else you won't be able to use their shield skills. :siren:

Accessories.

Accessories are a mixed bag. On the DS titles you can stack them. The ones that increase your HP/TP such as the Hide Belt should be a priority, they're a bit more expensive than armor but DEF+1 and HP+5 is miles better than a flat DEF+1.

Consumable items.

Reducing the amount of EXP I get while being level 1 in a game with damage based around levels...? YES PLEASE gently caress no.

Axe me a question!

Arco bonito, arco querido.

Aren't you going to buy something Melissa? We still have enough money.

Those staffs barely have any magical power inside. They'll slow me down, and I don't need armor since I'm not in the front line.

Suit yourself.

You should listen to her missy, monsters around the first floors are very weak but you shouldn’t give them any advantages by not wearing good equipment.

Yeah! He's right Melissa, please.

I'm telling you it's fine but, thanks for worrying.

You're Mikado, right? I heard old man Monty gave you some advice and the girl here... Melissa? didn't seemed to appreciate it that much.

So that's why we're famous.

Ha! You could say that, I'm Duncan and I've been looking for a guild to join. Got room for one more?

What can you offer?

I have knowledge about the monsters on the first Stratum. Your leader and Melissa are using crushing weapons, and you're using a bow. Me? Both swords and whips alike. If you need me to bind their limbs or deal some precise cuts just say the word.

Hmm, welcome aboard.

Aren't you the guild leader Yolanda?

Can I join Yolanda?

Yeah!

There you go.

. . .

We'll buy you some equipment as soon as we get some medicine, paperwork can wait.

We short on supplies lately, so I han't been able t'make anyt'ing good...Whatever y'find in the forest, bring it here. I'll buy anyt'ing y'bring me!

Two more to go.

Ah! Welcome to the Apothecary, where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Dr. Hoffman will see you now, are you injured? Does it hurt? Any of you need medicine? Oh! Duncan is this your guild?

Morning Heilen, nah the other way around. I joined these guys offering my knowledge in exchange. You should do the same!

I'm just an assistant.

Come on, you know you're more than just that.

You want me to heal you that badly? Just go and see Dr. Hoffman.

" Music: The Roadside Trees Outside the Window"

Woah! This place is so pretty!

I assume you develop new medicine here.

We also offer medicines to take with you. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! If you're wounded in the forest, then come back here, and we'll do everything we can for you.

Say hi to Dr. Hoffman, our Trauma Center cameo (another game developed by Atlus) At the Apothecary we can buy medicine and revive fallen party members/cure ailments. If you played the 3DS remakes you'll notice they don't have an apothecary/hospital, instead they moved all the medicine to the normal shop. I personally liked the Apothecary. Now... paying the huge amounts of money this guy asks? Eh...

I guess our fellows no longer look fine to the eyes of Dr. Hoffman.

Axcela (Restores 10 boost points) Price: 500 En
Amrita (Recovers 15 TP) Price: 200 En
Medica (Recovers 30 HP) Price: 20 En

WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE PRICES? Just buy 5 Medicas and move on, don't spend more than you have too. loving Dr. Hoffman.

Any advice Doc?

If you're going down into the Labyrinth, I'd prescribe taking one along.

If only we had someone who knows about medicine

Ugh...

Someone who also wants to explore the Labyrinth to make enough money and set up a shop...

...?

A person who's able to perform detailed autopsies on monsters and ALSO being able to send reports to Radha Hall!

CAN YOU JOIN US PLEASE?

You want me to cover your rear end in bandages all day? Fine!

I had no idea you wanted to open your own shop Heilen, with all the rumors you told me it's definitely going to be hard. And you'll need a lot of money to follow that dream

I want to be able to help explorers but I can't really do much from here... with only medicas it's just a matter of time for someone to die on my hands...

I'll tell you something, join this peculiar group and discover all the materials to create new medicine inside the Labyrinth, then I'll leave the Apothecary to you, how does that sound? I'm getting too old for this, anyway.

Dr. Hoffman...

Seeeeee? You just needed that little push.

Fine... you win this time, let me get my bag, I'll see you at the Explorers Guild.

That was impressive.

Heh, it was nothing. Heilen has been through a lot and I'm glad he decided to join.

Let's do this, friends!

You're in my care now. I won't let anything bad happen to you.

Time to prove my worth.

We have a full group now. We made it Sal! Now, to defeat evil!

Yeah, we did. Remember the main objective, just don't say it all the time. It's weird.

Got it!

I hope you can shake things up in this town and clear some of the deadwood. I'm looking forward to the day the Mikado Guild becomes know the world over.

That's the plan.

To the Labyrinth!

Agreed.

Wow wow wow... easy there. Heilen, if you please...

Mmm? Oh, I see what you mean. Follow me.

" Music: The Roadside Trees Outside the Window"

I feel right at home.

(Did I hear a squeak...?)

Good morning Arei, I bring some guests this time.

The Innkeeper name is Arei, but once again it's something you would only know if you read the artbook. He's pretty alright, but there's a specific quest later on that made me dislike him a bit.

Not bad.

Please make yourself at home.

Sleep/Nap
Fully heals HP and TP advancing time until 5 am/6 pm, doesn't work on dead party members. The fee is based around the party member with the highest level, then multiplying it by 5. On the DS version the formula was the level of the first 4 party members, multiplied by 3.

Store
In exchange for 100 En you can store any non-key item; this wasn't a thing on the original game. Claiming the item back is free.

Save
Allows you to save your game, shocking I know. On the HD remaster you have 9 slots to save your game.

Any wisdom to share, Arei?

Don't push yourself too hard. You can come here anytime to rest your weary bodies. Sleep the night through, or nap until evening. Either way, we can accommodate you.

Phew! Quite the long update eh. Next time, The Yggdrasil Labyrinth! Thank you so much for reading! Until the next update! :cheersbird:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 2, 2024

theshim
May 1, 2012

Gotta love the venomfly ambush :getin:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Being level 4 would've helped a lot but I didn't wanted to grind just for that encounter since it's supposed to take you by surprise, can't wait for that poison to be AoE :sludgepal:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 2

Yolanda, despierta de una vez.

Ugh... are we famous already?

If we keep sleeping instead of exploring we will. But not for a good reason. Come on, even Melissa is awake.

:morning:

Good morning everyone, I hope those bodies are full of energy.

Today is the day we finally enter the Labyrinth, let's get pumped!

Just getting some armor for the rest of the party. I forgot to take a screenshot for Heilen but it's mostly the same, boots and a Hairpin/Glove. Boots do not affect speed but I keep buying them because old habits die hard.

I feel lighter already.

Are you sure you don't need a sword?

Monsters on the first floor should be weak enough for this knife to work.

Don't cha need some armor too?

These gauntlets are more than enough.

Mmmkay.

Time to explore the Yggdrasil Labyrinth.

Hmm... what is this light? Yolanda, can you stand right here?

Sure thing!

Should I get ready to heal her?

Yeah

What now?

Hm, nothing. That'd be all. I felt some strange energy coming from there but whatever it is, we can't use it.

"Music: The Green Green Woodlands"

I still don't know how to upload gifs okay? I had to improvise. Welcome to the Emerald Grove, the first dungeon in Etrian Odyssey. Don't be fooled by the beautiful scenery and relaxing song (give it a listen btw) this dungeon will test your party composition from the start, and getting through the first floors will require some perseverance. If you're a new player don't forget to bring an Alchemist and a Medic. Protectors aren't really necessary but they can definitely help on the first floors as long as you handle their TP correctly.

Wow!

The air feels so clean...

Monsters shouldn't be a problem for now, fear not friends!

I don't understand what the big deal is but sure, it's pretty.

Give me that map, let's see...

The first time I entered this place the low TP my units had really surprised me, maybe because I played Untold first.

Everyone knows their role here?

As you have some skill at adventuring some 3 Skill Points should be available to you. To spend them on skills useful in the Labyrinth, open the Main Menu with Tab. Select Custom to allocate skill points, but think carefully before doing so.

"...because some skills are total garbage!" Sorry, I'm getting carried away.

I'll crush them!

Yolanda puts 1 point into Axes, unlocking crush. I give that skill 2 points and leave it there for a while. I don't have enough TP to use it constantly.

A precise cut is all you need to end a fight.

I've actually never used a Sword Dark Hunter so uh, apologies if I pick dumb skills. I'll switch to whips if needed.

Mmm.

Sal puts 3 points into Bows, we won't be investing into True Shot or Disable.

I wonder if this mix will help.

Heilen puts 2 points into Healer and a single point into Cure.

I'll show them...

Melissa puts a single point into Fire Up, unlocking Fire.

The soldier I saw should be around here.

You must be the new guys...The Radha told me you'd be along. Welcome to the forest.

A few questions for the soldier spring to mind but you wonder if you should let him be.

What are you doing here Mr. Soldier?

My orders are to make sure no one--you, for example--gets in the forest without permission.

. . .

If you want in, start the way everyone does. Make a map of the floor we're on. As I'm sure they told you back at the Radha, everyone goes through this initiation.

With that, the soldier points to the map of the forest you hold in your hands.

May as well since I played with a controller the first time.

Or both.

Oh man having so many icons feels good... do you want to see how many icons the original game had?

YEAH, THAT'S ALL. I mean for now it works sure but later on? Dear GOD the first game didn't have nearly enough icons to map properly. The Tent icon is worthless but I'll use those for later events.

Do yourself a favour and zoom out the map, you'll thank me later.

We'll be fine...we have Sal after all.

You could've just asked me instead of listening to all that.

What can you tell us about the Labyrinth?

Not this again...

We call this the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. It's a pretty strange place...

Why's that?

Oh! Oh! I know, It's because of the ecology, the creatures her--

. . .

Okay okay...

Like your friend was saying, the ecology here is completely different than the one in the world above, where we live. It goes so deep that no one has ever seen the lower Stratum.

Heh...

I get it, your rookies must be very excited. If you plan on exploring down there, then make sure your guard is up at all times.

His speech delivered, the soldier lose interest in you and returns to his post. You hesitate, unsure whether to ask him another question or let the matter drop.

Thanks for the advice!

What an interesting lecture.

Really? It was pretty boring for me.

Well to each their own.

...?!

What's up Sal?

I hear it too... get ready!

"Music: Initial Strike”

Not a huge fan of Initial Strike, but hey it's the first battle theme in the series and they only get better with each entry.

Tree Rat

Level: 2

HP: 19

STR: 10
TEC: 7
VIT: 14
AGI: 9
LUC: 9

Skills:
Summon: Summons another Tree Rat. Has a 10% speed modifier.
Flee: Runs away from battle.

Exp: 6

Item Drops:
: Small Fang 45% Drop Rate. Sells for 10 En.
3 required for Dagger ATK+9
5 required for Fang Whip ATK+10

: Soft Hide 25% Drop Rate. Sells for 9 En.
1 required for Hide Ring DEF+1, Slash Resistance +5%
3 required for Hide Hat DEF+1, TP+5
7 required for Jerkin (Light Armor) DEF+3
9 required for Hide Boot DEF+1, AGI+2
10 required for Hide Aspis DEF +2
7 required for The leathersmiths's favor

Description: Small, omnivorous rodents that will attack any threat to their territory.

Damage Resistances:
: 100% : 100% :100%
: 200% : 100% :100%

Status Resistances:
: 100% : 100% : 100%

Bind Resistances:

Treerats are the most basic enemy in the game. They don't hit that hard and have average stats. They can summon another Treerat but they tend to spend their turns guarding or using basic attacks.

Pressing Tab starts the Auto battle which wasn't a thing on the original and for the love of God please turn on both of these options. You don't want to start Auto-Battling during a boss fight or press DEFEND by accident on your last character, making them waste a turn.

Here's a small comparison between the HD Remaster UI and the DS one.

With "Z" we can open the map during combat, this technically was on the original since the DS had 2 screens.

And lastly "E" Opens the equivalent of the Monster Compendium, showing all the resistances, drops and weaknesses. Unfortunately, it doesn't show any % but leave that to me.

Enough talking!

They can call for help, make sure to defeat them fast!

Watch and learn.

Sit!

Tch...

HIYA!

After the battle is over, the EXP is divided between the remaining party members. Some enemy drops in this game are... very annoying to say the least. It doesn't help that you can only get 1 drop per enemy but I'll go over that when I start to lose my mind grinding for enemy drops.

Get away from the squirrel!

Oh, never mind...

Could it have belonged to an adventurer? You weight the options of picking up the dirty boot or leaving it where it lies.

Hmm...

You thoroughly inspect the area around the boot. A close look reveals torn clothes and reddish stains on the ground. The signs point to dangerous beasts lurking nearby. Eyeing the boot, you wonder whether picking it up is worth whatever danger is in store

It's your choice Yolanda.

The blood looks recent so I suggest caution.

I don't think it's worth it, but I'm pretty sure I can deal with the monster who did this.

Gimme!

You gingerly pick up the dirty boot. It's rather heavy, due to the ivory-colored stones its previous owner hid inside.

A rock?

They're minerals Yolanda.

As you marvel at the stones the ground begins to shift unnaturally.

Everyone back off!

The dreadful monsters who likely killed the boot's owner ambush you!

Bring it!

Level: 3

HP: 23

STR: 12
VIT: 15
AGI: 10
LUC: 10

Skills: None

Exp: 15

Item Drops:
: Soft Hide. 32% Drop Rate. Sells for 9 En.

1 required for Hide Ring DEF+1, Slash Resistance +5%
10 required for Hide Aspis DEF+2

: Beast Bone. 20% Drop Rate. Sells for 11 En.

1 required for Bone Staff ATK+5
5 required for Bone Axe ATK+11
15 required for Bone Mace ATK+15, HP+7

Description: A mole which waits for its prey underground, then strikes with its sharp claws.

Damage Resistances:
: 100% : 200% :100%

Ailment Resistances:

Bind Resistances:

Moles are very annoying until we reach at least level 3 or higher, right now they have an advantage of two levels which is scary. The worst part? They usually show up in groups and if all three decide to target the same person they're pretty much dead. Have fun going all the way back to town, this isn't the worst enemy formation where a mole can be found.

I'm ready!

I'll have Heilen prepare a preemptive heal on Yolanda since she's the one with the highest HP. This is pretty much a gamble but doing it after taking the damage is even worse. The rest of the party will just use basic attacks.

Is this how it ends...?

Hang in there!

Yolanda move! Hmp...!

YEAH JUST LIKE THAT. If all 3 hits landed on Yolanda, she'd be dead right now.

They resist heat?!

Melissa can't one shot them unless she uses Ice.

Drink this, you'll feel better

The taste of retribution, HIYAH!

Let me heal you, Salvador.

Focus on the others, we have supplies for this situation.

Pro Tip, don't trust your Medic when it comes to healing quickly. Make a Survivalist or Dark Hunter (any class with high AGI) use items.

Return to the earth!

That hurts you jerk!

Burn to ash!

The first time I played EO1 blind I got this event, died and stopped playing for a long time.

Woodfly

Level: 2

HP: 19

STR: 11
VIT: 14
LUC: 9

Skills:
Whirr: Attempts to inflict Head Bind to a single target. Has a 70% infliction chance and a 10% speed modifier.

Exp: 12

Item Drops:

Bug Wing. 30% Drop Rate. Sells for 10 En.

5 required for Theriaca A (Removes all binds).

Tiny Petal. 15% Drop Rate. Sells for 8 En.

1 required for Tweed (Clothes) DEF+1, AGI+1
10 required for Petal Ring DEF+1, TEC+1
10 required for Medica II (Recovers 100 HP)
1 required for Remembrance of a friend

Conditional Drop:
Insect Eye (Don't kill it with Physical Damage). 70% Drop Rate. Sells for 20 En.

Unlocks nothing.
5 required for Fashionista

Description: Butterflies often seen at the forest entrance. Easy prey even for novice adventurers.

Damage Resistances:
: 100% : 100% :200%

Ailment Resistances:

Bind Resistances:

Woodflies are pretty harmless unless they can land a head bind.

Payback!

Gah...! My ears...!

Burned.

We get the conditional drop and we're close to a level up.

Dead end.

Yolanda, Salvador and Duncan level up their weapon mastery skill by one point, Heilen raises Healer to Lv 3 and Melissa unlocks Volt.

Treasure!

Squarish boxes are lined up before you. It's possible they were left by fellow explorers of the Labyrinth. Then, too, they may be part of the treasure rumored to litter the Labyrinth... The boxes sit ready to be opened, offering no clues to their nature.

Treasure boxes are found on pretty much every floor. A warning, treasure rooms usually have a higher encounter rate so be mindful of how many steps you take inside that area unless your team is in good shape.

They also look different if you already opened them compared to the original. This would've saved a lot of time when I was trying to get the "Open all treasure chests" medal in Etrian Odyssey 3.

I feel like a treasure hunter already.

Way stronger than a normal Medica.

No one else is using swords so... I'll take it~

Excuse me.

What, haven't you finished that map yet?

The hell is his problem?

Stop it Heilen, it's his work. Even if he acts like that.

Beg all you like, but I'm not letting you through here until you're done with that thing.

Whatever you say douch--

Melissa, please.

*sigh* Fine.

It's not much, but we sell what we can.

Beast Bone x 1 unlocks Bone Staff ATK+5. Price: 200 En.
Small Fang x 3 unlocks Dagger ATK+9. Price: 250 En.
Soft Hide x 1 unlocks Hide Ring DEF+1, Slash Resistance +5% Price: 310 En.

The new whip is looking good Shilleka, keep it up.

Oh, t'ank you so much!

Have a nice nap.

"Music: The Lounge Where We Speak of Tomorrow"

Was it really necessary to wake up at night?

I went to the Labyrinth while you were sleeping. There's something I want to show you.

I had a drink of this water before escaping the first time, it was refreshing and allowed me to get out of here. But if we drink it at night...

Feeling much better after drinking the spring water, you decide to move on.

Tasty... it reminds me of something but I'm not quite sure, I'll take some to analyze it later.

That's not all. Follow me and stay very close.

GRR...!

What the...?! There are no wolfs on the first Stratum.

Shh... don't move and stay quiet.

. . .

Is it gone?

I don't know where that wolf came from. I got attacked by one of them and managed to dodge it, after that I tried chasing it but it jumped here and not even I can go through.

Did it managed to hurt you?

He scratched my arm, but it's already healed.

Poor vision maybe, in exchange of heightened senses when tracking their injured prey. That's why it left when we stopped moving.

Huh, you're right. That might be it.

You're amazing Heilen!

Pft… it's no big deal, but thanks Duncan.

Wolves and water, how exciting. Can we finish this map already?

Is that one of the mythical diamond gates?

It's covered in vines; think you can burn it Melissa?

Stand back.

INCINERATE Hng...!

Hey! Careful, those gauntlets are red hot-

DON'T TOUCH ME!

Still locked.

Tch...! I didn't get enough rest. I'll try again tomorrow.

. . .

It's okay Heilen. You didn't do anything wrong, she's just like that.

I'm sorry, I gave her the order...

Come on Yolanda, let's move.

Duncan should've learned Drain instead of Swords, this will come back to bite me in the rear end later.

Bows is now Lv 5 unlocking Multihit, this is the skill we'll be using the entire game.

Wow so much vegetation, Sal do you know how to-

No, sorry.

Hmm...

What is it?

S-Sal? Something pulled him to the other side. Let's go back to the entrance!

To unlock a shortcut, you need to interact with it from the other side. The arrow also turns golden once the shortcut has been unlocked.

I'm fine! See if you can go through here!

Woah! You're amazing how did you notice?

It’s my job.

Cool, I'm hungry.

It hangs just within reach, seemingly daring you to take a bite. You consider for a moment whether or not to eat the fruit...

Nom nom nom.

The fruit's sweet juices slid down Duncan's throat. Duncan recovered 10 HP!

Please kill it quickly.

Dead end, again.

I got you covered!

OUT OF MY WAY!

RAAA!

*sigh*

An old rucksack, seemingly abandoned by a pas explorer, is lying at your feet. Pick up the rucksack?

Hey that's the money I lost when I got here on my own.

Well I hope you don't mind if we...

You peer inside the rucksack and find a number of coins inside.

As you walk, you reach a clearing filled with blooming flowers. The nameless flowers sway in the wind, and you catch the scent of their fragrance...

*sigh*

You contemplate whether to rest and enjoy their sweet smell, or leave immediately.

Yolanda, it's been a rough night. I need to rest, please...?

What do you think guys? Are these flowers safe?

They don't look poisonous

No complains.

Worst case scenario we get ambushed by Woodflies but they are not a threat anymore.

Right, thanks.

You decide to relax in the fragrant clearing. However, you aren't the only creature in the forest by the sweet flora scent. Before you can react, a pack of Woodflies surround you.

Woodflies are not purple...

Woodflies...? Nay, these are the extremely poisonous breed known as Venomflies! Knowing that escape is futile, you brandish your weapons and prepare for battle.

"Music: Initial Strike"

Venomfly

Level: 6

HP: 41

STR: 22
TEC: 13
VIT: 18
AGI: 13
LUC: 13

Skills
Poison: Attempts to poison a party member, the poison tick deals 25 damage. Has a 50% infliction chance and an 80% speed modifier.

Exp: 39

Item Drops:
: Bug Wing. 29% Drop Rate. Sells for 10 En.

5 required for Theriaca A (Removes all binds).

: Tiny Petal. 15% Drop Rate. Sells for 8 En.

1 required for Tweed (Clothes) DEF+1, AGI +1
10 required for Medica II (Recovers 100 HP)

Conditional Drop:
: Insect Eye (Don't kill it with Physical Damage). 70% Drop Rate. Sells for 20 En.
5 required for Fashionista

Description: This more advanced breed of butterfly secretes a dangerous poison from its wings.

Damage Resistances:
: 100% : 100% :150%

Ailment Resistances:
: 100% : 100% : 0%

Bind Resistances:

Oh, you thought you could take a small rest after mapping the entire floor? Too bad, have some poisonous butterflies instead! These things are very dangerous, both the poison and their basic attacks hurt a lot. The only way to survive with all 5 party members alive is having the poison miss a lot and try to kill at least one as quickly as possible.

Bullseye

...?!

I'm sorry...

How dare you!

LEAVE US ALONE PLEASE!

Too tired...

Just a bit more...

...!

Yolanda! No no no... don’t die please...!

Move!

Duncan wait, you're injured!

GYAH!

drat it! I was too slow to heal him in time.

I'm out of bottles. What are we going do now...?

Survive, that's what we're going to do.

JUST DIE ALREADY!

I SAID DIE!

Unsynchronized EXP bars, eww.

Barely made it...

I can't even move...

I'll check on Duncan...!

I'm so sorry...!

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 2, 2024

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 2.5

Just a small update I made it to introduce the remaining Guild members and not having the characters only talk during the exploration, yes I know we're still missing a Hexer but I wanted to stick to the whole "Hexers are very rare". I'll try not to make too many of these, but for now please enjoy this small update! I'll try to have Update 3 ready today.

He's still breathing, we need to take him to Dr. Hoffman NOW!

You heard him, let's go.

Come on Melissa.

. . .

Get out of our way...!

Dr. Hoffman...!

Take a deep breath and tell me exactly what happened.

Duncan?

Let him rest, being poisoned by butterflies is fairly common in Etria. Why don't you go and take a look around town? I'll send Heilen when he wakes up.

See you guys later; I’ll write the report about the enemies we found so far.

Allo! How's the forest treatin' ya?

Things could be better.

Here's what we found.

Beast Bone x 5 unlocks Bone Axe ATK + 11
Bug Wing x 5 unlocks Theriaca A (Removes the target's binds).

T'anks!

I'm telling you, it was an accident.

Hon, every protector knows they need to take off the armor before using the chairs.

She's right about that GAHAHAHA!

Welcome Mikado kiddos, have a set and order something to drink. The show is about the begin.

Coffee...

Same here.

:coffee: :coffee:

What do you mean show?

Life gets dull quickly if all you do each day is head into the Labyrinth and fight monsters. Oh, here they are.

Yes, that was a reference.

Face me!

Very well, I will go along with this.

Isn't that the girl we saw at Shilleka's? She finally found a Katana.

They're fake. It's supposed to be entertainment, not murder.

Triple Slash!

Wind Cutter!

Take this, my secret tech--

...!

Ouch! H-hey you can't use the sheath on a duel.

Well, the winner was clear from the start but that was quicker than I expected.

Yolanda.

Yeah, I saw it too. That final attack was actually very dangerous. Luckily, she didn't manage to land a hit.

Where am I going to find Hardwood now...?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Uh-huh, I'll talk to the samurai girl, you handle the Protector.

Come on kiddo it's your turn. Do it the way we practiced, okay?

Okay!

Where did those two went...?

"Bird-Shaped Vane on the Roof"

Such a beautiful voice... Valerie is that your daughter? Niece?

Hehe~ Of course not, well I do have a niece but it's not her. Her name is Cantata and she arrived to Etria before your guild. Beautiful voice, don't you think? But I can't shake the feeling that I've heard that song before.

Is she part of a guild?

She's just a child, how could she be.

Well a little girl doesn't just arrive to Etria for no reason.

Wow easy there, why don't you go and ask her?

Gomenasai but I must decline your offer, joining a big group isn't for me. The path of the samurai requires me to follow a master and to protect them with my life. If my master dies then I must die as well. Oh! such a tragedy! Also, I don't have a proper katana yet...

We could offer you some training too, the other warrior blocked all your attacks then bashed your head.

Very dishonorable from him let me tell you! But I will have my revenge and bring honor to my hometown Tenshi no Machi! As soon as I reach the ancestral city of Nihon, the path I must follow will be clear.

Didn't you just said you were following the path of the Samurai?

Well I don't have a master and- Wait, that would make me a Ronin! Then I must commit seppuku right now!

. . .

What do you say? We just started exploring the Labyrinth and we could get that Hardwood together.

Are you sure it's okay? I'm not sure if being around me is the best idea.

We could always use more help, having you as our shield will ensure the evil lurking at the bottom of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth is destroyed.

What do you mean the "evil"?

I know this sounds crazy but listen up...

You... want me join your guild?

I know it's a lot to ask but, right now the mood isn't the best. Your voice could help a lot and-

Of course I'll join!

You will?

Hmm-mm!

Heh, okay then Cantata. Let's wait for my companions here, want something sweet to drink?

Yeah!

That was exhausting...

You can say that again, Stace accepted to join us. She went to look for her stuff, maybe a bit too excited and broke one of the stairs at the inn.

Should we buy medium armor for her then?

Maybe, the thing is...we need two pieces of hardwood now. How about you, did you managed to convince the girl?

Yeah! Well, something like that. She's calling me "master" now, something about following me until the day I die. Not sure what that means but she's part of us now!

We should see how Melissa is doing, she has been blaming herself since we returned. You should say something to her Yolanda, remember this is your guild after all.

*sigh* I know. Let's check on Melissa and then on Duncan.

...then I aimed the gauntlet at the huge bear attacking my dad, then BOOM!

Oh! What happened then?

The bear got hit by the fireball and ran away, my dad... well he lost half the hair on his face, even the eyebrows.

Hahaha!

I was around your age when that happened and couldn't handle these gauntlets all that well.

What happened to your dad?

He... he laughed! He laughed so hard when he looked at a mirror!

Are we interrupting something?

Not at all, just telling her some old stories. I know it's a lot to ask right now but can she join the guild?

A bit out of nowhere don't you think? Is she even old enough to be at a pub?

Ms. Valerie is been taking care of me.

Come on Sal... The more the better, don't you think?

Yolanda... she's just a little girl. The labyrinth is already dangerous enough for us.

What about the protector we met? If they go together it should be fine.

*sigh* It's your guild, do what you think it's right. I'm going to check on Duncan, see you later.

Thank you...

You won't regret this, Miss!

I really hope I won't. But anyway! Let's go and see Duncan, I'm pretty sure he'll be very happy to see you.

But I was the one who-

Don’t say that, we're a team after all. I would've done the same for you.

Are we going to see the rest of your guild?

That's right! I welcome you to the Guild Mikado. I'm Yolanda what's your name, little bard?

I'm Cantata!

It's a pleasure to meet you Cantata, let's go and meet the others. Are you coming Melissa?

Yes...

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 28, 2024

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 3

But if I hold it like this, it doesn't look as cool.

Maybe, but the enemy will have a harder time knocking you down!

Whatever you say, Master...

Yolanda is more than enough.

Like this?

No no... You have a clear opening, right here. HMP!!!

W-Woah!

A Protector is the core of the team, if you fall in combat your team will follow. Again!

Yes sir!

Hng...! Hya!

You don't need to pull so hard. Take a deep breathe and let the bow do the rest

Haaa... Hwa!

Much better, good job.

Huff... G-Guys Duncan is awake, come on!

Say hi to your friend for me!

Well this is way more people than I remembered, how long did-- Hey hey… I mean I appreciate the hug but why all of a sudden?

I'm so SO glad you're okay Duncan... Listen, I shouldn't have--

There there... I'm a Dark Hunter of course I've had to deal with poison. I would never let some butterflies kill me.

Yay, hugs!

Heh, might as well...

Don't forget me!

Dr. Hoffman...!

Hey, the map is complete!

Ha! You must have been so scared to forget about it.

Once he notices your presence, he hails you cheerfully.

Are you happy now?

Got your map all in order, have you? In that case, you've got my permission to proceed.

The soldier stands to one side and waves you through as if passing the torch to you. You ought to report your success to the Radha, but the thought of going deeper is also tempting.

Another crystal, let's just mark it on the map and move on.

It's okay, I won't react like that again. I'm very sorry Heilen.

Okay, since you apologized.

It's not traditional medicine but it'll do.

Crush!

Shooting 2 arrows at once is barely a challenge.

I feel like I'm getting closer to something good...

No enemy is safe from me now.

Shouldn't we report back to Radha Hall?

I'm the one who writes the reports, chill.

You heard him!

More and more green.

Your first mission was to map B1F and present the results to Radha Halls! It would be best to finish that task before exploring uncharted levels. Present a completed map to Radha Hall at the first opportunity.

Yolanda.

Fine...

Moles are no long a threat on their own, just free EXP.

According to Heilen reports this should work...

Mmm~

Did you just...?

Little help here...

Not on my watch.

Oh!

Hehe, told you!

"Music: Reparation"

We acknowledge and recognize your status as true explorers from this point on. You belong to the Mikado Guild, correct? Let me give you standard reward. Take this to Shilleka's Goods. She'll sell you items necessary for your adventures. Stock up there and work hard to explore the Labyrinth for us from here on out.

Let's see here...

Now that's a proper reward!

You can say that again.

Hahaha! We did it guys!

Yeah. Heh... Yeah, we did.

Let's go and tell everyone.

"Music: "Music: The Lounge Where We Speak of Tomorrow"

You're seeing explorers officially licensed by the Radha.

I'm starting to hear about you from the off-duty soldiers. Everyone's pretty excited.

They better be!

So, am I right in thinking it’s time to talk business? Here at the golden deer, I hear all sorts of problems that only adventurers can solve.

Such as?

Gathering materials, wiping out monsters... You name it, I hear someone sobbing about it. And when I do, I pass the requests on to kids like you. You're welcome to take them on.

Adventurers can accept tasks known as Quests here at the Golden Deer Pub. There are many types of Quests, each with its own reward. Select "Accept quests" from the menu to see the details.

It's been a while since I had to actively hunt something.

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. This request is from an artisan right here in Etria. Hide goods are in high demand, and his supply is running low. You shouldn't have a problem getting some Soft Hide from the forest critters. Good luck!

Isn't this referring to the spring we found at night?

We?

The spring that you found at night...

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. An... ex-explorer, I guess you'd say, wants you to get some Holy Water from a forest spring. Supposedly, you can get some of this water within the east side of the 1st floor. Careful not to slip okay?

It seems I'll have to take care of this one.

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. The job this time is to enter ten unique monsters into the Monstrous Codex. Remember, kids: Copying off someone else's list is cheating!

EO1 quests are not as terrible as EO2 but they're still pretty bad. Quests in this game tend to appear when you're 2-3 floors before you can actually finish it. Or having absurd requirements like asking for a Lv 20 unit when you'll finish the first stratum around Lv 15-16.

Let's see what Shilleka needs before heading into the Labyrinth.

We're here about your request.

Oh yeah, t'at reminds me... Y'get permission from t'Radha?

Here.

Even wit'out it, I wanted t'sell you all of my goods, but I promised Radha hall, and I stick by t'at. Here, t'is is Warp Wire Ariadne Thread. If y'lost, or about t'die, use it to warp outta t'Labyrint'. I tell everyone t'take some before t'ey leave for a trip down to the Labyrint'.

How sweet of you.

But don't go t'hinking t'ey're free...How many do y'want?

Of course...

As someone who has played a LOT of EO I can proudly say that I still forget to buy the drat thing from time to time. Warp Wires or in this case Ariadne Threads are VERY important. If you played the 3DS remakes and are wondering if this game has floor jump, no it doesn't. If you end up at the bottom of the Labyrinth, low on health and with no means of escape its your fault. Try having at least two all the time.

I couldn't get the exact values but this should work.

Another massive overhaul compared to the DS version.

The Item Compendium on the other hand, is very underwhelming and doesn't show the enemy where you got the drop.

Quinn also has dialogue the first time you report a monster/item, this was removed from the HD version for some reason. Anyway, let's talk to the rest of the NPCs since these games tend to have new dialogue when you reach a new floor.

Didn't you said that before?

I'm still here Dr. Hoffman.

What about the stuff we were selling?

The funny.

. . .

Okay, that's enough. The Barkeeper is the one who reacts the most about your guild's progress, the rest? Eh, barely if anything at all. I guess I could give them some dialogue but I'm already taking way too much creative freedom when writing some interactions, so I'll leave it like that

Are you sure we're ready to enter the labyrinth?

Totally! We'll have a look around town in the meantime, maybe someone will help us to gather materials.

Remember to keep Cantata safe. You also have some quests available, try talking to Valerie.

I promise, thanks for helping me.

Bye bye!

Good luck...

Don't worry, we gave them enough equipment. As soon as they return, I'll go with them.

You guys got the hang of navigating the Labyrinth yet?

Actually we just started...

Puny creatures... They are no match for me.

Listen, kids I know you're eager for the fame and fortune, but don't get greedy. If you start to get tired, don’t push yourselves. Come back here and rest a while.

Will do, Ms. Valerie!

It's going to be a while until we can buy a Katana, so I'll be dumping all points towards Katana Mastery until it's Lv 7.

Stace gives Shield Mastery a single point and two points to Front Guard. I'll be using a frontline medic so it's very important to have a way to mitigate damage.

As for Cantata, 1 point to Songs then I'll be maxing Bravery asap. Troubadour buffs are very unique, unlike other buffing classes in the series the duration of the songs is infinite in EO1 and EO2.

We're from the Mikado Guild, they told us there should be a spring on the first floor.

Well, I know there's a place southeast of here with a flowing spring... is that it?

He's right, there's a note on the map.

Very honorable of you.

Weaker than I expected

Look at those picnic numbers. Picnic is great for grinding thanks to that 50% extra EXP. I'll level them up like this while I look for soft hides.

Not like the game is going to cooperate...

Ah, mizu.

You reach out to that water to draw from the source.

The notes say it's safe to drink and it can help us recover mental strength.

Hmm, nothing happened.

What about a song while we return to town?

Welcome back, kids. Good to see you finished up the request safely. Keep up the good work!

And that's it. You only get EXP after completing a quest starting from EO3.

Welcome back, kids. Glad you were able to get your hands on that Holy Water. The client said her grandpa discovered this stuff back when he was an adventurer. He was on the verge of death when he found it, and thought it would be his last meal. Then it happened...He suddenly felt revitalized, and safety made it all the way to town. Looks like everyday well water to me, but it saved him... No wonder he thought it was holy. I bet that girl will be thrilled to hear you found it. Thanks, everyone. Think there really is some mysterious power in this stuff...? Ha! Nah, can't be.

Well it helped me.

What does Miss Shilleka needs?

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. Shilleka's Goods is the only place in Etria to get weapons and armor. When her grandad ran the place, he'd gather materials himself to make all kinds of stuff. But ever since she inherited the place... well, the kid tries, but it's not the same. She's got her hands full just running the shop, so she could use a hand. Could you help her? Go see her and ask if there's anything in particular she's looking for.

Pyroxene?

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. Most explorers learn harvesting skills called chop, mine, and take.

. . .

No

...?

You can collect all kinds of stuff in the Labyrinth by using those. Including Pyroxene, which our poor client needs. If you're going to keep on as adventurers, you better remember that technique.

Don't listen to Valerie, skill points are very limited. Some classes are more SP hungry than others but it's still a limited resource. Dumping points into those skills will do NOTHING against random encounters or bosses which is idk most of the game? Just create a party of 5 survivalists and put points into gathering skills. On the HD collection is easier than ever, just change the difficulty to picnic and use autobattle. This game doesn't have ambushes at gathering spots but you'll need some levels to unlock more skills and eventually learn Stalker to reduce the random encounters. Btw the first mining point is found at B4F so... Thanks EO1.

We'll stay here for a bit gathering info, let's meet on the entrance after you talk to Shilleka.

Hand Axe...?

Lemme see... t'artisans made a list. Write t'is down somewhere, okay? What t'ey need is, five pieces o' Hardwood, and five Hard Shells. As you get all t'junk, just sell t'em to me and I'll pass it along. You don't have to do it all at once, hear? Bit by bit is jus' fine wit' me.

The hardwood comes back to haunt me...

Misaka levels up Katana Mastery again, still not enough to unlock Midareba.

Stace puts more points into Front Guard. At Lv. 5 you reduce all damage (once per ally) by 35%. Why not max the skill? Well, from level 6 to 10 you get an extra 1% per level, no thanks.

Cantata upgrades Bravery, at Lv 5 you get a 30% STR boost to all party members and it becomes a bit faster.

See? I told you they could do it Sal. Oh, they're back. Misakaaaa, over here!

The moon is beautiful, isn't it?

Mmm, I guess it is.

Should I go with them?

Nah, I need you to keep looking on the Pub, don't you think it's weird how they have access to Hardwood and berries that we haven't found yet? If we only had someone able to gather those-

Okay, I get it.

I promised I'd go with them the next time, didn't I?

Hey, I'm going with them. Duncan is sleeping and being only 4 wouldn't be the best idea.

Good luck guys!

You again.

Clawbug

Level: 4

HP: 45

STR: 25
TEC: 8
VIT: 16
LUC: 10

Exp: 34

Item Drops:

: Hard Shell. 55% chance. Sells for 12 En.

1 required for Shortsword ATK+15
5 required for Hand Axe ATK+18 Required for A favor to Shilleka I
5 required for Aspis DEF+2, VIT+1

Description: A bug whose shell is impervious to physical harm. Other forms of attack are recommended.

Damage Resistances:
: 50% : 50% : 50%
: 250% : 250% : 250%

Ailment Resistances:

Bind Resistances:

This thing can one shot your party members... if you find one early on. Right now, we're on the same level so his attacks should be manageable. They only take 50% physical damage and have a lot of VIT.

Get behind me doctor!

You know what I do with bugs?

Huh that wasn't so bad.

I burn them.

Woah! So cool Miss. Melissa!

Y-You think?

Don't take unnecessary injuries, we're heading to the second floor now.

Hm, the map ends here.

Time to carve our own path.

Stay behind me.

Something seems to be inside the tall grass before you. You peer futilely into it, wondering whether to chance it or leave the sound alone.

My blade is ready.

As party leader, Stace pushed back the tall gras with their hands. Suddenly, Stace felt a sharp pain on their hand!

What the...!

The noise seems to have come from a small snake. After biting Stace's outstretched hand, it slithered off into the forest. Stace lost 5 HP.

Here, let me see your hand. Mm~ your palms have been hardened after training so much. Can you caress my cheek?

...?

Tough crowd. It wasn't poisonous, so you should be fine.

You pull yourselves together and continue on the adventure.

Hng...!

My nose burns...

Oh no, you won't do that again!

Hah! Start moving your feet Doctor!

I'll cut those wings in a single slash!

Hah! Like that?

Let the bow do the rest...

We just started to explore B2F and the party is already half dead, great.

Moments afterward, you hear heavy hoofed footsteps galloping through the forest. A dreadful enemy unlike any you have yet seen is fast approaching!

FOEs are something like the icon you have on the map. For every movement you make, they move as well. Some are docile with a simple pattern and won't attack even if you are in front of them, others are aggressive and will actively chase you.

So pretty...

Come on, I promised the rest I'd keep you safe. We can pet the deer later.

Unlike the 3DS titles (with a single exception) DS FOEs are orange fuzzballs, very iconic if you ask me.

Bunnies!

Kawaii...

Hare

Level: 7

HP: 38

STR: 23
TEC: 14
VIT: 19
AGI: 14
LUC: 14

Exp: 36

Item Drops:

: Small Fang. 32 % Drop Rate. Sells for 10 En.

3 required for Dagger ATK+9

: Hare Tail. 30 % Drop Rate. Sells for 15 En.

1 required for Buffcoat (Clothes) DEF+2, AGI +3
3 required for Doublet (Clothes) DEF+3, VIT+1

Description: When threatened, these rotund hares will meet the danger with their sharp teeth.

Damage Resistances:

Ailment Resistances:

Bind Resistances:

So, about Boost. Once the meter is full, using a Lv. 1 skill will add 5 extra levels. What if you use a Lv 6 skill? It will turn into a Lv. 11 skill. That's right, skills in this game can go beyond Lv 10 but only when using Boost.

They bite pretty hard.

I'm noticing yeah...!

Why do monsters keep attacking Heilen so much and not Misaka?

Clearly afraid of facing a Ronin in a duel.

Mr. Bunny?

Uh... H-He ran away. You just couldn't see it.

I'm about to return to town so...

Oh now you've done it...

Oh no he ran away too, what a shame...! Come on, let's get out of here

I now have 2 Ariadne Threads, I COULD leave here but I got greedy and then this happened...

Fender

Level: 10

HP: 55

STR: 36
TEC: 12
VIT: 23
AGI: 13
LUC: 15

Skills:
Speeder: Increases AGI by 200% for 3 turns. Has a 200% speed modifier.

Exp: 65

Item Drops:

: Soft Hide. 40 % Drop Rate. Sells for 9 En.

1 required for Hide Ring DEF+1, Cut Resistance +5%
7 required for Jerkin (Clothes) DEF+3
10 required for Hide Aspis DEF+2

: Horn. 20 % Drop Rate. Sells for 18 En.

1 required for Ocarina (Troubadour Only Accessory) TP+10
1 required for Enamel Bow ATK+9
2 required for Short Bow ATK+15 Required for A favor to Shilleka II

Description: A species of deer with magnificent horns and beautiful fur, which can fascinate adventurers.

Damage Resistances:
: 100% : 100% : 200%

Ailment Resistances:

Bind Resistances:

LEVEL 10 WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FRICK I like to call that specific enemy formation Dumb and Dumber; you'll see why later on.

Oh it's another deer.

I don't like how that deer is looking at me... S-Stace?

This shield is so heavy all of a sudden...

Huh! Try again.

HEILEN!

NO!

This is for my comrade!

. . .!

Hey snap out of it!

THUNDER!

EO1 is full of moments like these, and to be honest I deserved that one.

I'll use the wire, stay close to me!

Dr. Hoffman...!

Heilen?! Okay, leave it to me.

Hngh... *cough* It hurts to breath...

You’re okay...

I'm glad you're still alive.

A heavy strike to the thorax, you're lucky it didn't break any of your ribs. What were you even doing?

I wasn't there to protect him, it's my fault.

I'm not here to blame anyone, but if you're serious about exploring the Labyrinth...and opening your own shop...

. . .

...you better keep your medic safe, okay?

Hey, can I see the scars?

Go gently caress yourself.

Me, Cantata and Misaka will go and sell the materials. Don't worry about the reports for now, try to rest okay?

Yeah...

You took that blow like a true warrior, I just wanted to say that. I'll see you later.

*sigh*

You seem worried, want to talk about it?

Yeah...

Is it a good moment?

What is it?

Sal.

We finally found someone that can gather materials inside the Labyrinth for us.

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 2, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Deer are pretty rude enemies in the EO series overall, it seems like.

theshim
May 1, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would.
Get used to seeing that line too! The EO1 NPCs are...well...yeah. Primitive. Shilleka stands out a bit just because of her speech pattern, but none of them are particularly interesting.

Thankfully they gave them a lot more personality and suchlike in later games, even if every game has their duds. Cass and Missy rule.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

theshim posted:

Get used to seeing that line too! The EO1 NPCs are...well...yeah. Primitive. Shilleka stands out a bit just because of her speech pattern, but none of them are particularly interesting.

Thankfully they gave them a lot more personality and suchlike in later games, even if every game has their duds. Cass and Missy rule.

Looks like you got yourself ripped off! Ahahaha! Caveat emptor, sucker!

That line has been burned into my brain since I played EO3, I love Missy.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 3.5

We finally found someone that can gather materials inside the Labyrinth for us.

You did? Who is it?

I stayed around the shortcut on the first floor all day. I saw the usual, guilds and survivalists going in and out.

Are we hiring Survivalists?

We tried that while you guys were out. They asked for half the materials.

Or charging us Ental per trip.

Understandable, but we don't have enough Ental to afford it.

So...?

On the way back to town I saw Valerie's attendant heading towards the Labyrinth with a small group.

Uh-huh

He looked different, but I could recognize that hair anywhere.

I stayed here, he returned after a while with wood and berries

The sour berries.

Yes, the sour berries.

So, are we hiring him?

Silly Doctor, why would he enter the Labyrinth only to gather materials?

Maybe he's related to Valerie?

The only relative she mentioned was her niece.

Let's try talking to him. We could reach a mutual agreement.

So... berries am I right?

Show us the wood.

...?

You should probably handle this, Salvador.

Listen, we need some help. I know you've been gathering materials inside the Labyrinth.

...?!

We have a favour to ask. Even if you refuse, we won't snitch on you. Can you listen to what I have to say?

*Nod*

We need those materials to explore further, I'm not asking you to stop helping Valerie. We could give you a copy of our maps so your team can go beyond the first Stratum. Finding rare materials would help Etria a lot too. What do you say?

Alright.

Woohoo! Look at you Sal, maybe you should be the leader of the group!

Not happening.

Good job Sal! Umm... What now?

I'll discuss the details with him. Leave it to me, go and get some rest.

I'll go with them, I'm curious about the process.

Welcome to "Why you need a gathering party". Skill Points are very limited and gathering skills are not worth using in your main party. First, create 5 survivalists since they have all 3 gathering skills Take, Chop and Mine. Remember you can use any portrait on the HD collection.

Ren (Yes, I called him Ren. Got a problem with that?) showing up wasn't just a random cameo it was all building up to this! Was it worth to take 3 updates to explain how gathering works, just to have the Phantom Thieves as my gathering party? Mmm, yeah probably. I doubt I can use Ringo tho.

The only 2 gathering spots available right now are Chop points, so I'll be putting 3 points into Chop with each Survivalist.

We now have 30 uses for chopping, let's give it a try.

"Music: "Music: The Green Green Woodlands"

B1F D3 Chop Point

Mugwort 50% chance. Sells for 20en.
1 required for Bravant Increases the target's ATK by 10% and reduces DEF by 20% for 5 turns (Cannot be used on allies)

Hardwood 30% chance. Sells for 13 en.
5 required for Wazikashi ATK+20
10 required for Aspis DEF+2, VIT+1

Red Fruit 10% chance. Sells for 25en.
1 required for Red Charm DEF+1, TP+5

Herbs? *munch* *munch* Bleh...! Not tasty at all but it stimulates the brain.

Wood, but something feels... off.

The sour berries Yolanda mentioned, very rare.

And those are the 3 items we can get from this chopping point! Simple enough, right? There's also a chance that you'll find nothing but I'll take that any day of the week instead of ambushes.

B1F D1 Chop Point

Mugwort 50% chance. Sells for 20 en.
1 required for Bravant Increases the target's ATK by 10% and reduces DEF by 20% for 5 turns (Cannot be used on allies)

Hardwood 25% chance. Sells for 13 en.

Red Fruit 15% chance. Sells for 25 en.

Woaaaah!

Are you sure we can take all of it?

*nod*

Hardwood, at long last...

I wonder why he's letting us keep all the materials.

We made a deal.

I trust on your judgement Sal.

I appreciate that. Now, let's go and sell these.

Wait, let me take a couple of them.

Didn't you also break the stairs at the Inn?

:smith:

Such is life for a Protector.

How long have you been there?

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 2, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Not having ambushes at gathering spots is always nice, they're quite rude to run into. Also wasn't expecting this use of the Joker portrait.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Not having ambushes at gathering spots is always nice, they're quite rude to run into. Also wasn't expecting this use of the Joker portrait.

The second game REALLY hates you when it comes to gathering spots. Even when using your main party.

Luckily the Persona Q2 art is similar enough to use as a normal portrait.

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 17, 2023

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 4

Horn x 1 unlocks Enamel Bow ATK+9 Price: 170 En
Small Fang x 5 and Soft Hide x 5 unlocks Fang Whip ATK+10 Price: 230 En
Soft Hide x 7 unlocks Jerkin (Light Armor) DEF+3 Price: 120 En
Horn x 1 unlocks Ocarina (Troubadour Only Accessory) TP+10 Price: 400 En

Right, those exist... There are some “Troubadour only” accessories, they are pretty useless since troubadours don't use a lot of TP. All their skills (with the exception of Blaze, Frost and Shock being 15 TP at level 1) cost less than 10 TP at max level.

Guess who?

Y-Yolanda...?

Nah it's me, but she's here too.

Hii!

Hello there, little bard. How's the negotiation going?

The what?

We have some new materials for you Shilleka, I hope you like them.

T'anks so much! Ti's will take a bit of time.

Waiting is boring, how about we explore the Labyrinth in the meantime. Yolanda could come along and teach me how to use a sword properly...

Is that the new axe? It looks small but so pretty. Can I help?

T’artisans are not here yet so I'll be countin' on you!

:smith:

You know how she is, let's go.

A grinding session later...

Soft Hide x 10 unlocks Hide Aspis DEF+2. Price: 190 en

Not bad...

Is this really necessary?

2 Hide Belts are +2 DEF and +10 HP.

Unless you want Dr. Hoffman to pull your ear again.

Are the weapons ready?

Not yet.

Now I'm the one being attacked?!

Here, drink this.

I felt that...

Make up your mind already you drat usagi!

Aww.

The edible-looking fruit makes your mouth water. It would be no trouble to take the fruit and eat it. Eat the orange fruit?

Smells fresh.

The fruit's delicious-looking exterior proved a sham, as Misaka discovered.

Not like I can use my skills without a proper blade. Still, pretty gross...

Can I get a break from the bnuys?

Wait, I take that back.

Mmm?

My chest...

If they attack the same person and they're not at 100% HP it's a guaranteed kill.

Can I get the bnuys again? :sludgepal:

Stace, can we swap places?

I'm glad you kept Cantata safe back there but you don't have to take every single hit for her you know?

Please tell me Shilleka is done.

Ta-dah!

Hardwood x 1 and Hard Shell x 1 unlocks Shortsword ATK+15. Price: 350 En.
Hardwood x 5 and Hard Shell x 5 unlocks Hand Axe ATK+18. Price: 300 En.
Hardwood x 10 and Hard Shell 5 unlocks Aspis DEF+2, VIT+1. Price: 260 En.
Red Fruit x 1 unlocks Red Charm DEF+1, TP+5. Price: 240 En.

It came out pretty well, I t'ink! Very light, but easy t'use, y'see? I left y'reward wit' Valerie, so don' forget t'pick it up. If I t'ink up somet'in else, I'll make anot'er request. I owe y'one!

Still no Katanas...?

We only have wood so far. Shilleka told me she could make one if we sell her some metal shards.

Back to the Labyrinth I guess...

Hmm...

Welcome back, kids. Shilleka came by, bubbling about the equipment she was able to make. Sounds like you've got another satisfied customer. Keep up the good work, okay?

ATK+18 compared to ATK+9 from the Hatchet. This is the best Axe we can get until we finish the 1st Stratum. I buy new weapons and accessories for the party, then go back to the Labyrinth.

Whoops...

All 3 went before me, EO1 turn speed everyone!

Now if I can kill one with Volt and basic attacks, I should be able to--

*sigh*

I hate those things so much.

At least Cantata is unharmed.

Yay!

I-I hear heavy footsteps...!

It's probably just a deer.

"Music: A Sudden Gust of Wind Before Your Eyes"

Oh crap.

I've endured a lot to wear this shield proudly, you're not taking me down, beast!

I've been wanting a real blade for a while. I, Tsukino Misaka, challenge you!

That's what fighting a Lv. 13 enemy looks like when using a Lv. 6 party.

Such hard skin...I think we should return...

...?!

Pick her up, I'll cover you!

Hang in there Cantata, please...

It hurts...

I hate having to say this but... retreat!

Cantata...?

Are you serious Doctor?

I can't do much, medical supplies are expensiv-

She's just a child and you're going to help her NOW...!

Get...off him Melissa! Heilen is already taking care of her!

(I messed up...)

*Sigh* Luckily, you're fine.

How is she?

That beast only hit her belly and she passed out. *sigh* I'm exhausted...

Thanks... Doctor...

Cantata!

Heh... that's what I like to see. Get some rest okay?

Tch...!

The Dumb and Dumber combo.

Overhead is now Lv. 2 granting 11% extra ATK and a 6% Damage reduction.

Provoke is now Lv. 2.

Healer is now Lv. 8; we're getting closer to a really good skill...

More points to Fire Up until I unlock Flame.

And Bravery is almost maxed out, nice.

Noticing your presence, the soldier calls to you.

Ho there. Explorers, I see...How goes your adventure thus far?

I've been looking for a proper blade but...

Trying to keep my companions alive.

Same as her.

*sigh*

My tummy hurts...

The soldier offers to sell you any of his tools you find yourself in need of. Choose the item you believe you will need most from the following.

Monsters on this floor have been really strong, do you have anything to heal us?

You tell the soldier you have need of medicine to heal wounds. Hearing this, the soldier removes a small bottle from his pack.

This medicine should serve your restorative needs. As for the price... Since you're licensed explorers, you may have it for 100 ental.

You pay the soldier his money and receive the medicine in return.

Best of luck explorers, and I hope to see you again on your journey.

The transaction having been completed, the soldier bids you farewell. You return to your own business of investigating the forest labyrinth.

Soma is an item you can get as soon as you reach FLOOR 19 and if I remember correctly it heals like 150 HP to the entire party. Still, having access to one so early is really good in exchange for 100 En. Remember you can only choose one, the medicine OR the weapon. So, what about the weapon? Is it something you get after 15+ Floors, too? Well...

Wait! I was wondering if you have something better than this sword?

You inquire of the soldier if he has any strong weapons. Upon hearing this, the soldier removes the sword from the scabbard on his back.

Will this serve? It's a small sword, but I believe it will do for your purposes. As for the price... since you're licensed explorers, you may have it for 500 ental.

LOL

Your response elicits a disappointed nod from the soldier.

If we have no business to conduct, then farewell.

Having delivered these parting words, the soldier leaves. You return to your own business of exploring the forest labyrinth.

The sword he offered is a Shortsword btw, the same one Misaka already has. Oh yeah this even is only available during the Day.

How many deer have we seen already.?

I got you Doc.

Phew...

*sigh* I don't care anymore, I'll just eat it.

Appearances to the contrary, the fruit was fresh and juicy. Misaka recovered 10 HP

Finally... this floor took so long.

Can we go home? I'm hungry.

You were?! Gomenasai Cantata-chan...! I ate the fruit without thinking.

Please stop yelling I just want to get this over with, I couldn't get enough rest last night...

Come on, we need to map as much as we can for the rest.

B2F doesn't have a single shortcut so it's more of an endurance test because of the Fencers and Venomflies constantly wearing you down, if you can get past this you should be alright on B3F.

Such a wide area.

With so many flowers...

Over there!

"Music: Red and Black"

Even new adventurers such as yourself can clearly feel the overwhelming sensation...It is the specter of death, looming over you as you prepare to face unknown dangers. Take heed! Beasts red of tooth and claw run rampant here! Fleeing from these creatures is no shameful thing. In these depths, survival is paramount!

Red and Black is such a scary song, maybe you won't feel that way when reading this but the song suddenly changes while playing the game, this isn't the last time we'll get jumpscared by it. If FOEs were meant to be avoided, what about red ones? Well, red FOEs tend to be as strong or sometimes even stronger than the boss of the Stratum you're currently exploring. Assuming you're not cheesing them or playing on any other difficulty that isn't Expert I'd suggest you to kill them only when you're about to challenge the main boss of the Stratum.

Luckily a Ronin k-knows no f-f-fear...

I want to go back to Etria... please...

It's okay, we don't have to fight it. All enemies back there had a pattern, if we observe closely enough...

This red FOE moves 3 steps then he stops on the fourth one. It's fairly simple, the 3DS remake made this area a lot more challenging, here you can just-

Mandrake

Level: 10

HP: 51

STR: 27
TEC: 16
VIT: 23
AGI: 16
LUC: 16

Skills:
Corrode: Reduces DEF by 50% to the entire party. Has an 80% speed modifier.

Exp: 59

Item Drops:
: Hardwood. 33% Drop Rate. Sells for 13 En.

5 required for Hand Axe ATK+18. Required for A favor to Shilleka I

: Vine. 20% Drop Rate. Sells for 16 En.

1 required for Buffcoat (Clothes) DEF+2, AGI+3
5 required for Bull Whip ATK+16
5 required for Leaf Tunic (Clothes) DEF+1, AGI+1
10 required for Vine Whip ATK+28, STR+1

Conditional Drop:
: Charcoal. (Kill with Fire Damage) 70% Drop Rate. Sells for 21 En.

Required for nothing
Note: Composite attacks like Cut + Fire also work.

Description: An odd, human-shaped plant. It's said the sight of one will bring adventurers bad luck.

Damage Resistances:
: 150% : 50% : 50%

Status Resistances:
: 100% : 1% : 50%

Bind Resistances:
: 100% : 100% : 50%

Oh right, new floor means new enemies! Mandrakes are very annoying, having your defense lowered VERY dangerous in a game like Etrian Odyssey but the animation is so slow, even on the HD Collection. They usually appear with stronger enemies who like to do basic attacks. Luckily the first one we found is surrounded by 2 Treerats so even if we get hit by Corrode it's not that dangerous. As for the conditional drop yes, you read that right, the charcoal unlocks nothing. EO1 enemies can only drop 1 item at a time, so trying to kill the mandrake with fire every single time will get you a lot of Charcoal instead of Vines or Hardwood and you need 10 Vines.

Out of my way plant!

I doubt we can use it for furniture.

Like I was saying, you can just hug the walls and you'll be fine. Check the colored tiles on my map.

Just keep your wall against the wa--ahhh!

Are you hurt?

You might want to hurry, that thing is still looking at us.

I see a small path here, should I go?

We don't have time just mark it on the map and let's go!

Barely... Come on, we still have energy to keep going.

EEP!

This one isn't moving...

Maybe there's a path nearby?

I-It moved...!

To the sides, move your feet!

It stopped.

Hmm, Stace can we try this?

It worked! I mean, of course it worked~

That red FOE is the same type as the one we saw on the previous room. The gimmick this FOE has is being able to move only when you're in front of it or behind it. I wonder why this one has a different movement pattern. And if you think this whole sequence was clever, you'd be right! But... there are only 2 shortcuts on this floor, and the second one will still require to lure the red FOE every time you want to go through...

Another door.

. . .

Are you still scared Miss Ronin?

Of course not...!

One has black robes and flame hair, while the other bears a fierce look and a katana.

A katana?

Careful, we don't know who these people are.

Who's there?!

Demands the hard-bitten woman, one hand ready to draw her katana.

I get it, she's challenging me to a duel. Very well, I accept.

The adventurers appear to be veterans, and have made no move to lower their defenses. Perhaps they'll relent if you tell them that you are also adventurers from Etria.

Stop that Misaka! We come from Etria. We're explorers, just like you!

Once you inform them you are adventurers; they nod and lower their guard ever so slightly.

Ah, Etrian explorers. Didn't the Radha notify you?

Heilen?

Not at all.

The katana-wielding woman, realizing your ignorance, shakes her head in dismay.

We have orders from the Radha to guard this place. I am Ren, a ronin, and she is Tlachtga, a hexer. Return to town at once and get the details from Radha Hall.

Ren barks these cold, sharp words, then lapses into a silent glare. It seems you should ask the Radha official for details regarding the situation.

Well, no other option. Everyone, get closer to use the thread.

Misaka?

. . .

Neither of the female adventurers have moved from the spot they occupy.

Miss Ronin...?

Maybe she wants to ask Ren where to find a Katana?

We are guards, not guides. Take it up with Radha.

Realizing the abysmal likelihood of obtaining these women's cooperation, you turn and leave.

Hey, what's with you?

I just can't shake the feeling that we'll meet again.

Well duh, they're Radha Guards.

Never mind, let's go back to town...

I'll write the reports about the new enemies. See you later...

I thought you were tired.

I got some herbs from the 1st Stratum; they should be enough to keep me awake. Actually, Melissa can you come with me?

Do you need help with something?

You owe Dr. Hoffman an apology.

I... guess I do.

. . .

Radha guards blocking your progress? What did you do?

It's nothing like that. We haven't been there in a while; we probably missed an official announcement.

Yolanda.

Yeah, it's probably that.

What do you mean?

We've been gathering some info while you were out. A lot of Guilds have returned heavily injured, talking about creatures who ambushed them while they were fighting other monsters.

Scary...

. . .

Come on, now... What's with the long faces? As long as I breathe, I won't let you get injured.

She's right, there's no reason to be scared. We promised we would reach the bottom of the Labyrinth. Take it easy, we'll take care of the rest of the floors. I want to try this new axe, anyway.

Please tell us about B2F and B3F. The more info the better.

Shortcut here.

We never saw that one...

Well I'm the Survivalist.

Hare Tail x 3 unlocks Doublet (Clothes) DEF+3, VIT+1 Price: 250 En

Looks comfy, not like I can use it.

More grinding.

Gum Hide x1 unlocks Hide Vest (Clothes) DEF+2 Price: 180 En.
Soft Hide x3 and Gum Hide x1 unlocks Hide Hat DEF+1, TP+5 Price: 160 En.

I feel a lot stronger.

Let's check the pub.

New bow? Cuenten conmigo.

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. Go to Shilleka's Goods to ask her which materials she needs. She was really pleased with that Hand Axe, you know. Good luck to you.

Ah this one comes from a friend of mine.

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. This is from a girl training at Ceft's to become a medic, so I'd say it's for a good cause. She was searching for herbs, and a Woodfly attack forced her to come back empty-handed. Your job is to take out 7 Woodflies, so it's safe for students to gather herbs again. A few Woodflies should be no problem for you, right? Good luck down there.

Looks like a job for me!

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. That poor kid...He'll never be strong, so he wants to meet a powerful adventurer. He's hoping to meet a Landsknecht above level 20. Do this for him, okay?

I'm pretty sure you'll be at that level soon enough Yolanda. I believe in you!

You're right. I have to work hard to see that kid smile. Thanks Misaka...

:kimchi:

Yo, Shilleka.

What's t'is now? Request about t'Short Bow? Ah, so you guys are helping me again! Lessee here, t'materials I need are...two Horns, and five Gum Hides. It's a good weapon for t'Survivalists! Gat'er materials quick for me, okay?

I'm looking forward to do this quest.

My report is ready, let's go and see what they need at Radha Hall.

Until those 2 explorers blocked our progress.

Ren...

I'm sorry but I'll have to ask that you postpone further investigation for now. It appears there are dangerous beasts prowling the lower reaches of the grove. We're considering a mission to exterminate these troublesome wolves. Until the lower floors are confirmed as safe, abandon all further exploration.

The alpha wolf, Fenrir...

So that's why we found a wolf lurking around the first floor.

The book didn't mention anything about wolves, this is so exciting!

You accept then? Very good. Now then, let me give you the details. Beyond the 3rd floor, there have been many sightings of forest wolves. This in itself poses little danger...but they seem to be organized by a leader. That leader if Fenrir, their alpha wolf, and he awaits explorers on the 5th floor.

The final challenge of the Stratum...

I'll be your shield.

And I'll keep you healed. Hey, that rhymed *giggle*

Our own warriors are capable of defeating them, of course. I believe you've met them. But we can't over-rely on Ren and Tlachtga, or newcomers will have no chances to grow. Their current orders are to provide support to the young explorers.

Like me?

Yes, just like you Cantata.

We ask that you use their help in defeating Fenrir.

Here's my latest report.

We have 9 monsters registered so far. We'll have to kill an FOE to finish the quest without going to the 4th floor.

I'll use the original team to explore the next 2 floors. Like I mentioned before armor is pretty bad, so HP accessories are a must.

At Lv 5 Crush deals 185% damage.

Lv 5 Drain deals 165% damage and drains 68% of the damage dealt.

At Lv 5 Bows now grant a 28% extra damage to bows. Multihit deals two instances of 115% damage.

Fire up Lv 3 grants a 12% damage boost to fire skills. Not too exciting, just trying to unlock Flame.

Healer grants an 84% boost to Healing Skills. Nice, but the skill I want requires me to max it out.

Unexplored territory...

I know right? I'm still surprised about the wolves.

Are you sure you'll be fine without me?

I'll keep them safe don't worry.

We also have a lot of new info about the monsters.

What would we do without you Doc.

Come on stop that...you know how much I like my job.

Please return safely...

Cantata, did you bring what I told you?

Mmm-hm! Here miss Ronin.

What's this...?

Well it's been a while and we haven't been able to find a Katana for you. So, I made one out of Hardwood.

. . .

You know how to make weapons?!

Well we had to improvise sometimes back in my hometown. I wouldn't have been able to do it without Shilleka.

There's more. A wooden shield charm for you, a tiny whip, a tiny bow...

Muchas gracias Yolanda, this means a lot.

Gracias to you too! I made a charm for everyone since we had so much Hardwood.

Who was the bunny charm for?

Well for you of course, I wasn't just going to let you deliver everything for free.

Aww! Thank you, Miss Yolanda!

Come on, the Labyrinth awaits.

I'll practice with this katana in the meantime...! Arigato gozaimasu!

We'll return with a proper one, I promise~

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 1, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Venomflies are jerks no matter the game, poison inflicting enemies really seem to put the hurt on. Also unlucky you ran into that FOE.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 5

Are we ready?

A worthy foe.

The smaller deer had a Volt weakness, maybe this one is the same?

Heh... Only one way to find out.

Ragelope

Level: 12

HP: 330

STR: 45
TEC: 18
VIT: 26
AGI: 27
LUC: 27

Skills:
Scream: Attempts to inflict Confusion on a single target. Has a 25% infliction chance and a 60% speed modifier.

Exp: 297

Item Drops:

: Horn 90% Drop Rate. Sells for 18 En

1 required for Ocarina (Troubadour Only Accessory) TP+10
1 required for Enamel Bow ATK+9
2 required for Short Bow ATK+15

: Large Fang 15% Drop Rate. Sells for 250 En

1 required for Boar Spear ATK+29, STR+3
1 required for Bone Mace ATK+15, HP+7
1 required for Beast Bow ATK+24, STR+2, TEC+1

Description: An extremely aggressive horned monster whose uncontrollable fury gives it lethal strength.

Damage Resistances:
: 75% : 75% : 75%
: 100% : 100% : 200%

Ailment Resistances:
: 50% : 5% : 25%

Bind Resistances:

25% Physical Resistance? Eww. A Ragelope will cast Scream a couple of times and then will hit you, confusion is a one of the worst ailments to get hit with since it disables that person for x amount of turns only allowing them to use basic attacks to friends or foes alike. Luckily, it's only a 25% chance but bad RNG can always ruin your day. Ragelopes take double damage from Volt attacks so Melissa will spam... Volt. The rest will try to wear the FOE down and hopefully not get hit by panic.

AHHHHHHHH!

Yolanda snap out of it!

I'm countering its scream with my own.

Huh.

You dare to challenge lightning?

Keep at it!

I'd really like a new bow

Yeah that 25% Phys resistance + a weak bow really hurts Salvador.

AAAAAAAAA!

Oh, it actually works!

Hng...! still standing...

I love Hide Belts, without that extra 5HP Melissa would've died there.

My turn!

No Large Fang, oh well...

Over here, the deer was blocking this path.

Heilen.

Got it.

You...!

Easy, it's not the same who injured Cantata.

This way.

It stopped following us.

We're still coming back to take care of it right?

Oh! I haven't seen one of these in a long time.

Nectar revives a dead party member with a little bit of HP, pretty useful but I'll save it until we can buy them from the Apothecary.

Let's go back to Etria.

And then we fight the bull?

I've never seen Salvador so excited, it's quite a sight.

FOE! FOE! FOE!

Tiny Petal x10 unlocks Petal Ring DEF +1, TEC +1 Price: 200 En.
Tiny Petal x10 unlocks Medica II Recovers the target HP by 100 Price: 150 En.

150 En in exchange for 100HP? Sure, why not? The accessory is trash, don't use it.

The Ragelope was pretty much the same as the Fencer, this should be ready in a bit...

10 Monsters already! You think that's enough for "Sketches and Stories of the Yggdrasil Adventurers: Part 2?"

Welcome back, kids. Yikes, you had to go all the way down to the 3rd floor for this? Well, thanks for your hard work. As you go further, the rest will practically fill itself in.

Thanks for the advice Valerie.

We're back for you.

Kuyutha

Level: 13

HP: 350

STR: 48
TEC: 19
VIT: 27
AGI: 29
LUC: 29

Skills:
Rampage: Deals 130% Stab damage to a single target. Has a 90% accuracy modifier and a 10% speed modifier.

Exp: 301

Item Drops:

: Metal Horn 90% Drop Rate. Sells for 36 En.

1 required for Plate (Heavy Armor) DEF+5, VIT+2, AGI-1
1 required for Wakizashi ATK+20

: Large Fang 15% Drop Rate. Sells for 250 En

1 required for Boar Spear ATK+29, STR+3
1 required for Bone Mace ATK+15, HP+7
1 required for Beast Bow ATK+24, STR+2, TEC+1

Description: A large bull that will charge at the slightest provocation. Approach it with great caution.

Damage Resistances:
: 100% : 150% : 100%

Ailment Resistances:
: 50% : 5% : 25%

Bind Resistances:

Kuyuthas tend to use Rampage on the first turn (which is fairly slow) then suddenly delivering a turbo fast normal attack. Weak to stab huh? I keep thinking its weak to fire, Salvador is the only person with Stab damage, so go for it Sal!

Come on at least fight back~

Out of my way!

Could be better.

Multihit landed 2 shots, so that was actually 54 damage. Still not enough to match Duncan even while striking a weakness but Sal has a weapon with lower base damage.

Hng...!

Oh no, you're not dying on me.

Rampage deals a lot of damage, the Kuyutha will now use a ridiculously fast basic attack, let's see what happens.

A cornered beast is the most dangerous...

Had enough yet?

And a follow up!

Large Fang, you are mine.

Beast Bone x15 and Large Fang x1 unlocks Bone Mace ATK+15, HP+7 Price: 480 En.

15 BEAST BONES WTF GAME At least this staff is really good, I'll buy one for both Melissa and Heilen since 7HP is a lot right now. You saw the difference those extra 5HP made against the Ragelope.

Are you telling me she followed up your fire attack? That will certainly be a good story for the pub.

I swear that girl is full of surprises, maybe too many...

I hope you also defeated the bull who injured Cantata.

That's the plan.

Retribution!

Heh

Do you remember us?

You're going to pay!

Not so tough now?

Bullseye.

We are bringing one of those horns back to Etria!

Agi!

Hey, over here! AWOOOOOOO!

Nyehehe... you took the bait!

Do you really need to drink that...?

You’ll get used to it Doc.

Better than new.

Right between the eyes.

Now what were you hiding here...?

Nah.

I see you've been to the Radha and accepted that mission.

That's right!

Then we're no longer needed here. I bid you good luck.

The wolves are resilient enemies. We'll help you as best as we can, but be careful.

We just arrived here, chill.

Mmm, there's two of them. Maybe if we attack the one on the-

No

There is a door at the end of the room but you have 2 red FOEs at the sides. What to do? It's fairly simple really, remember their pattern? They move 3 times then stop once. As soon as you enter the room take 2 steps forward, one step backwards

Then keep going forward. As soon as you start doing that, they'll stop moving like this.

Strong medicine.

Finally, new shoes.

Hide boots give you DEF+1 and AGI+2, not worth it.

Gimme!

Get ready to run.

A bit hard to run with a dress.

Another bull, let's kill it.

Easy there, we're really exhausted. Let's avoid it for now.

Oh God this thing... on the DS titles you can't see the FOEs on your map unless you already stepped on the same tiles as them (with some exceptions). If you played the 3DS titles that's not the case, you just need to look at the area to clear the fog of war. Now this fricking bull made me use SO MANY threads because I had no clue how to avoid it since he can aggro you through walls and will actively chase you.

Not here.

drat it... Are we trapped?

Oh come on, can you move out of the way?

Ugh even after playing the game I can't get this right the first time, I'll just go back to town.

Metal Horn x1 and Hardwood x5 unlocks Wakizashi ATK+20 Price: 400 En.
Metal Horn x1 unlocks Plate (Heavy Armor) DEF+5, VIT+2, AGI-1 Price: 230 En.
Vine x1, Gum Hide x1 and Hare Tail x1 unlocks Buffcoat (Clothes) DEF+2, AGI+3 Price: 210 En.
Gum Hide x3 and Soft Hide x7 unlocks Hide Glove DEF+1, STR+1 Price: 150 En-

Why is the Wakizashi even available at this point when you unlock Ronin much and I mean MUCH later on? :thunk:

Oho~ Someone is going to be very happy with the new weapon.

I'll be honest, I don't really want to see that.

Too late.

You better have a good reason to bring me here while I'm tra...train...?

That bull is no more, now it lives as your blade.

This amazing fanart was made by PhazonMotherBrain.

Kyaaaaaaa!

Let me know when we go back to the Labyrinth. Where's Heilen?

He went to the Apothecary as soon as we returned.

Hiya! Hya! Kha!

Hey don't swing that around!

Mina-san, hontou ni arigatou gozaimasu!

And off she goes.

Something something, more levels. I'll show the ones that are important since I'm still leveling up Crush, Multihit and Drain.

Agidyne.

A healing hand.

Okay we need to talk about Healing Touch. On the DS this skill would let you heal the party outside of battle up to 25%/35%/40% of their max HP at levels 1/5/10. On the HD Remaster it's a 5-point skill and it’s able to heal up to 50%/75%/100% at levels 1, 2 and 3. Levels 4 and 5 just reduce the TP cost from 3 to 2/1. This skill is INSANE, no more buying 10 medicas to heal outside of combat, using salve, using cure, etc. With 3 TP you can fully heal everyone if you party is strong enough to survive after every battle. Now, would I recommend rushing towards it? Yeah, one point of cure is more than enough since you also unlock Medica II. Overall a massive buff to a class that was already top tier.

Careful now.

We should just kill it.

Sup.

Nope.

This way!

That's a dead end, check the map. Let's go down.

Are you sure?

Tsk... lucky you.

Roller

Level: 11

HP: 40

STR: 28
TEC: 25
VIT: 17
AGI: 17
LUC: 17

Skills:
Shell Guard: Increases DEF by 50% and has an 80% speed modifier.

Exp: 69

Item Drops:

: Soft Hide 33% Drop Rate. Sells for 9 En
1 required for Hide Ring DEF+1, Slash Resist Up 5%
10 required for Hide Aspis DEF +2

: Gum Hide 20% Drop Rate. Sells for 18 En

1 required for Hide Vest (Clothes) DEF+2
1 required for Hide Hat DEF+1, TP+5
3 required for Hide Glove DEF+1, STR+3
5 required for Hide Boot DEF+1, AGI+2
5 required for Short Bow ATK+15 Required for A favor to Shilleka II
10 required for Beast Bow ATK+24 STR+2, TEC+1

Description: A creature which rolls by curling up its body. The tactic is also used to defend itself.

Damage Resistances:
: 75% : 75% : 75%
: 100% : 150% : 150%

Ailment Resistances:
: 100% : 100% 100%

Bind Resistances:

Rollers are basically Clawbugs with a single skill, they resist Phys, are weak against 2 elements and will hit you very hard (even harder if a Mandrake used corrode) not much to say about them really, I guess they're really cute

Is this the Ronin you mentioned?

She gives you a completely different vibe compared to Misaka right?

Hm-mm.

It seems there are no wolves on this floor yet. I'll give you some advice, before you go back on your way through the forest. The trees are not always as impassable as they look.

Wait but we already have it mark-

Don't be rude Duncan, let her finish.

Without another word, Ren walks away. You glance about, searching idly for the narrow, hidden path she spoke of.

Just a small reminder, on the original game you couldn't crab walk. To look for a shortcut you had to walk, turn around, walk turn around, repeat. It's as annoying as it sounds.

And new shortcut unlocked, let me change the color.

Why are you painting the arrow golden?

Why not?

Dead end.

Some fights aren't even worth talking about.

"Music: Red and Black"

I would like to take a nap here but after what happened last time I don't know if it's a good idea.

*sigh*

Stay close!

Mere yards away, a giant wolf is preparing to spring onto an unlucky soldier! The wounded soldier seems to be petrified with horror. You take a step forward...

I wouldn't do that if I were you Wolfy.

The desire to draw your weapon and rescue the soldier wells up within you...

Begin.

Where did Ren go? Hey, stay behind us!

Her lips scarcely parting, the girl with the ringing bell murmurs a mysterious chant. All at once, the wolf that had stood ready to pounce stops moving, its muscles tensed...

What the...?

I feel bad now...

At a final word from the girl, blood spews from the wolf's jaws, and it collapses.

Fixing her pale-eyed gaze upon you, the girl approaches.

You should be careful. It's dangerous to fight wolves with open wounds like his.

Woah, what is this?

Fully refreshed!

I'll tend to this soldier. You should go on... The stairs to the 4th floor are not far.

As she speaks, Tlachtga points you to the back of the room.

I'll stay here until you defeat Fenrir. Come back if your wounds become too severe.

Tlachtga will now restore our HP/TP fully every time we visit her. She's vital for the exploration unless you want to face Fenrir after fighting through 4 floors full of monsters.

Eh.

Phew... I'm beat. Let's go and see if Tlachtga is still there.

Does she even sleep, I wonder.

Where did you get this water from? We found a spring on the first floor but it wasn't nearly as powerful.

Water from a spring deep in the forest. It heals your stamina.

The hexer speaks true; you find your stamina regained as the cool water soaks into your skin. Your party HP and TP are fully recovered!

The 4th floor is home to many wolves. Take care...

The girl shyly turns her head away after delivering her warning to you. Your strength regained; you feel ready to continue your adventure into the forest.

I would like to check on the rest of the rooms before we go down.

B3F D4 Take Point

Amber Lump 50% chance. Sells for 27en.

1 required for Bravant Increases the target's ATK by 10% and reduces DEF by 20% (Cannot be used on allies)
3 required for Theriaca B (Removes ailments from the entire party)
5 required for Nectar (Resurrects with low HP)
10 required for Hamao (Recovers the target by 300HP and 50TP)
1 required for Pest control

Tiny Petal 25% Chance. Sells for 8 En

10 required for Medica II Heals the target by 100HP

Crabapple

5 required for Medica III (Recovers the target by 200 HP)

The Amber Lump has a 50% chance here so if you want to unlock everything ignore the next Take Point.

I'll mark the place.

Oho~

We got company.

Wait, what?

FOEs spawning out of nowhere, my favourite... Well, at least the 500 En is nice.

No match.

A little help here Heily~

*sigh*

A full HP restore in exchange for 3TP? Sweet.

B3F F3 Take Point

Tiny Petal 50% Chance. Sells for 8 En

10 required for Medica II Heals the target by 100HP

Amber Lump 25% chance. Sells for 27en.

3 required for Theriaca B (Removes ailments from the entire party)
5 required for Nectar (Resurrects with low HP)
10 required for Hamao (Recovers 300HP and 50TP to the target)
1 required for Pest control

Crabapple 15% chance. Sells for 35en.

5 required for Medica III (Recovers the target HP by 200)

I've been fighting the same enemies for so long, the Boost meter is full.

Awoooooo, here we go.

Awoooooo.

Let's go already.

There are multiple wolves here.

Their wild cries echo through the trees...You suddenly recall Tlachtga's words. She warned you that this is a dreadful place where feral wolves dwell.

Come closer and I'll burn you!

No need to yell.

That’s a lot of FOEs, they're not aggressive by default but will join fights if you take more than 1 turn.

B4F E1 Mine Point

Metal Horn 50% chance. Sells for 36 en.

Pyroxene 25% chance. Sells for 50 en.
1 required for Gem Ring DEF+1, Volt Resist Up 10%
1 required for A certain shop's request

Whitestone 15% chance. Sells for 100en.
Required for nothing.

Metal Horns in case you haven't killed the Kuyutha, and Pyroxene to finally finish the quest we accepted.

Please?

Okay, let's make this area safe for explorers again!

Wolf

Level: 14

HP: 260

STR: 51
TEC: 20
VIT: 29
AGI: 30
LUC: 30

Skills:
Fang: Deals 90% Cut damage to a single target. Has a 90% accuracy modifier and a 10% speed modifier.
Evil Cry: Increases ATK by 50% and has an 80% speed modifier.

Exp: 525

Item Drops:

: Stiff Hide 30% Drop Rate. Sells for 85 En.

5 required for Hide Armor (Light Armor) DEF+4, HP+5
1 Required for Gourmand's Request

Description: White-furred wolves who wander the upper floors of the grove. Dangerous when fought in packs.

Damage Resistances:
: 150% : 50% : 100%

Ailment Resistances:
: 50% : 10% : 25%

Bind Resistances:
: 20% : 20% : 20%

FOE's are meant to be avoided; this is true most of the time. This Wolf isn't the case, they're only strong if you somehow end up fighting 2 at the same time or if they join a fight. The Stiff Hide unlocks a really good armor you should definitely get. I'm not telling you to save scum but hey it's a 30% drop. They also offer a lot of XP, great for your guild to grind before the fight against Fenrir. They usually spend one turn buffing their ATK before hitting you. Like every other FOE their normal attack is very fast so if he decides to target someone twice, they're dead.

I'm not pulling any punches so I have everyone use BOOST.

Let's see who can deal the most damage!

How's that?

Arrow beats Paw

Earthquake!

Look at you~

Nada mal

I guess I win~

:stare:

Melissa currently has Flame at Lv. 2 dealing 160% damage, thanks to the BOOST that number raised to 270%

And I got the stiff hide, nice!

Is that a candy?

Do your thing Yolanda.

With our powers combined!

Another one? Hoo boy I'm getting lucky. I can kill them in one turn so just imagine the rest of the fights.

And there goes my luck...

B4F B1 Mine Point

Pyroxene 50% chance. Sells for 50 en.
1 required for Gem Ring DEF+1, Volt Resist Up 10%

Metal Horn 25% chance. Sells for 36 en.

Required for nothing.

Another Mine Point, this one has a 50% chance to get Pyroxene.

How you doing Doc?

Almost done. Floor 4 Coordinates B1...

Shh...

What is it Sal, an enemy?

. . .

What's taking you so long?

*Gasp* Tlachtga?!

No way that's her, she's upstairs.

. . .

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 1, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That's quite the buff to Healing Touch in the HD Remaster, Medics really seem obscenely better in this game.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Dang, maybe the [SPECIAL HIDDEN CLASS] in 3 is actually viable now, if the Medic's skill is any indication.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

BraveLittleToaster posted:

That's quite the buff to Healing Touch in the HD Remaster, Medics really seem obscenely better in this game.

The second Stratum is like B2F, enemies constantly wearing you down and/or leaving your team half dead. You can either spam Cure/Salve/Medica until you ran out or...just use Healing Touch. I'll have to stop using the Medic at some point to experiment with different formations but I'll have fun for now.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Dang, maybe the [SPECIAL HIDDEN CLASS] in 3 is actually viable now, if the Medic's skill is any indication.

I wouldn't call the [SPECIAL HIDDEN CLASS] bad, they just have a really weird kit that sometimes doesn't match their stats but they can easily break some fights with the proper setup. I do plan on playing EO3 so hope to see you there too :)

theshim
May 1, 2012

One of the worst parts of doing SCCs without healers is the post battle patch up, and buffed Healing Touch just makes that insultingly easy :argh:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

TomatoPawah posted:

I wouldn't call the [SPECIAL HIDDEN CLASS] bad, they just have a really weird kit that sometimes doesn't match their stats but they can easily break some fights with the proper setup. I do plan on playing EO3 so hope to see you there too :)

It's not that I find the [SPECIAL HIDDEN CLASS] bad, it's just that I find their primary skill sets lacking due to programming goofery, especially after some LPs (I think you and I know which) went and dissected the class and its mechanics. That said, I hope I'm around for that series as well.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 6

. . .

Hey there...

Careful Yolanda, remember what Tlachtga did to the wolf? This girl doesn't even know who we are.

What are you doing here on your own?

We have some company

Stay behind us!

*screech*

Fall...

...?! I can't move!

Scared of a little roller? Fine, my lightning should do the job.

Silence...

Volt be upon... hng... Volt..!

Bent...

I must be tired after fighting for so long, t-this axe feels... I can't hold it!

. . .

Okay, we get it. Look I'm throwing my bow away, and y'all stop trying to attack the roller.

It's okay little one, you're safe. Come to me.

*grunt*

Check on the rest Heilen, I'll try to talk with her.

On it!

So, what are you doing here on your own?

No one comes all the way up here, they're scared of the wolves. It's peaceful and the forest creatures bring me food and water, I even made a charm out of some tasty berries.

We're the Mikado Guild, we mean no harm to you. My name is Salvador, can I get yours?

. . .

Rina.

Sal! They can move again.

Thank you, Rina.

So that's how it feels to get binded... not bad~

That felt awful, did she do that?

Hm-mm.

Want to come with us?

Just like that?

No, I was part of a guild before. They left me here after I helped them to gather materials.

You think they were the owners of that Whitestone we found on the first floor?

I don't know, maybe?

We dealt with the wolves around this area, we plan on cleaning the rest of the floor.

We have more companions waiting at Etria. You don't have to give us an answer right now but here, have this.

An Ariadne Thread?

Look for Stace at the Golden Deer pub, she's a brave protector. Tell her Yolanda says hi.

We also have a little girl around your age, she's a troubadour with pink hair and loves to sing at the pub.

Sing...

We'll keep exploring this floor, if you change your mind we'll gladly accept you into our guild.

The party leaves the room.

I guess this is goodbye Mr. Dillo.

*grunt*

No you can't come with me, I'm sorry.

*purr*

Alright back to the exploration, the party reaches lvl 13. Let's see their skills so far.

Crush at level 9 deals 196% Bash damage, it would've been 10 but I gave ATK UP a single point.

Duncan on the other hand has Drain maxed dealing 190% Cut damage and recovering 100% of the damage dealt.

Salvador has Multihit maxed dealing three instances of 125% Stab damage to random targets. Unfortunately this skill decides the targets as soon as you use it. Let's say you have 3 moles, 3 random hits means you'll kill all 3 right? Not quite. If the first target selected by the skill dies the other two hits won't land. Still a really good skill against FOEs and bosses, heck even random encounters but not as reliable.

Melissa has Flame at level 3 dealing 180% Fire damage, as soon as I get the skill to lvl 5 I'll stop.

Heilen will start to work towards Salve, even if Healing Touch is really good I still need something to heal during combat.

I need 2 more of those please game...

Thanks!

Dear God.

Too bad you're already wearing that.

Stace can use this one.

We have a wolf right next to us, shall we?

And that was the last Wolf on this floor, we got 4 out of 5 Stiff Hides. Not too bad.

I miss when finding one of these was exciting.

Clawfly

Level: 14

HP: 65

STR: 45
TEC: 14
VIT: 29
AGI: 16
LUC: 18

Skills:
Whirr: Attempts to Head Bind a single target. Has a 70% infliction chance and a 10% speed modifier.

Exp: 98

Item Drops:

: Hard Shell 55% chance. Sells for 12 En.

5 required for Aspis DEF+2, VIT+1

: Thorn 25% Drop Rate. Sells for 18 En.

5 required for Boar Spear ATK+29, STR+3
10 required for Vine Whip ATK+28, STR+1

Description: This insect of the deep strata has evolved to become resistant to many forms of attack.

Damage Resistances:
: 0% : 300% : 300%

Ailment Resistances:

Bind Resistances:

Huh they have the same level as the wolves. Clawflies are just Clawbugs but with fire immunity and better stats. They take 300% damage from both Ice and Volt and resist Physical damage, I hope you have an alchemist. Also look at those 10 Thorns requirement...ugh. I'll show a place where you can easily find them later but even then it's going to take some time.

These things again?

I've never seen a Clawbug so... blushed!

I'm tired of figthing those things.

How did you...?

If they're red their weakness is Ice, if they're blue...

Oh, very clever!

No thorn, great.

Game, please.

Why would someone leave a bottle of Amrita here?

Amrita recovers your TP by 15. Yeah, it's not that much but at least you don't need to unlock or restock them.

Finally! That's 1 out of 10.

Do you guys think Fenrir is waiting for us down there?

After we've been dealing with its minions all day? Definitely.

Whatever he decides to throw at us, it won't be enough.

Look at Miss Alchemy, for a second I thought you were going to say "me"

Come on, YOU teasing someone else? That's new~

Actually my stock is full so uh, back to town.

I'm tired of seeing bugs, mind if I take a break during the 5th Floor? I don't mind helping against Fenrir if I'm needed.

I'm with her, I would like to write the reports and have some time for myself.

Oh, sure! Have a nice rest you two. How about you Duncan?

Eh, I'll live. Let me know if you need me tomorrow, I want to check on Heilen.

Well, it's you and me Sal.

Like usual.

Only you two this time?

The others went to bed I guess me and Sal have some energy left, what did I miss?

I'll see if Monty has some wisdom to share.

Good idea!

Cantata is about to sing and Misaka is getting ready to fight again. She seemed excited and even mentioned wanting you to watch her someday, probably after the training she had using the wooden katana she feels confident.

Oh...

What is it?

It's nothing. I'll check on the quests, we might need you tomorrow Stace.

I'll be your shield.

I'm pretty sure Melissa could do this one.

Decided to take that request, have you? Good, I've been hoping someone would. This is a request from Jackson Restaurant, but...Well it's a strange one.

What's weird about this restaurant?

He's requesting a person, not a thing. He wants an alchemist who knows the Fire formula.

Would Melissa even agree to that?

What could he possibly need that for...? Anyway, come back with that alchemist, okay?

I'll go and check on Cantanta, good luck!

*sigh*

I was about to take a bath, please tell me it's important-- a restaurant...?

Did we completed this quest...?

Yolanda.

Right, my bad!

I completely forgot about that quest, whoops.

Ah, you learned the Fire formula. Congrats. I'll contact Mr. Jackson. I bet he'll have more work for you, too. But I still can't figure out what a restaurateur would need with the Fire formula.

Alchemy can be used in many different ways, not just for combat.

Good night Melissa.

Good night.

Horn x2 and Gum Hide x5 unlocks Short Bow ATK +15 Price: 290 En.
Gum Hide x5 and Soft Hide x9 unlocks Hide Boot DEF +1, AGI +2 Price: 140 En

My shop's selling more goods t'an ever, t'anks t'you. I owe you guys a lot. I left y'reward wit' Valerie at t'pub, so don't forget t'pick it up.

This should be good.

Welcome back, kids. Shilleka came by, bubbling about the equipment she was able to make.

Aww.

Sounded like you've got another satisfied customer. Keep up the good work, okay?

Perfect.

Well back to grinding!

See those 3 yellow rectangles? If you walk around those you should find a lot of Clawflies. Still, this took over 30 minutes. :suicide:

This is the last one I needed, remember the party being level 13 and now they're about to reach 15. That's what happens when you have to deal with a 25% drop rate.

Large Fang x1 and Thorn x5 unlocks Boar Spear ATK+29, STR+3. Price: 720 En.
Gum Hide x5 and Vine x5 unlocks Bull Whips ATK+16. Price: 320 En.
Tiny Petal x1 and Vine x5 unlocks Leaf Coat (Clothes) DEF+1, AGI+1. Price: 110 En.
Thorn x10 and Vine x10 unlocks Vine Whip ATK+28, STR+1. Price: 540 En.

10 THORNS AND 10 VINES WHY GAME, WHY?! :shepicide:

Spear? Well, I'll take it anyway.

Yeah, no clue why it's called spear...

Showtime!

Remember the Take Point on coordinates D4 have a 50% chance to get Amber Lumps. We still need another material from the second stratum to unlock Hamao

Uh, not sure why I went here but I got some Crabapples on the way. Unfortunately, just like the Amber Lumps I need materials from the second stratum to unlock Medica III.

We can finally finish that quest...

Amber Lump x5 unlocks Nectar (Resurrects with low HP) Price: 500 En.
Amber Lump x1 and Mugwort x1 unlocks Bravant Increases the target's ATK by 10% and reduces DEF by 20% for 5 turns (Cannot be used on allies) Price: 600 En.
Pyroxene x1 unlocks Gem Ring DEF+1, Volt Resistance +10% Price: 460 En.

Oh dear that Accessory... :suicide: The first enemy with Volt damage (and even then it's no big deal) is found on floor 10 this accessory is worthless.

Welcome back, kids. Found a Pyroxene, huh?

Well...

. . .

I helped them.

Rina!

Keep up the good work.

I arrived here the same day I met you, but I couldn't find the protector you mentioned.

But she found me instead! You should've seen her, she started to dance with that cute~ armadillo of hers while I was singing.

Aww.

Wait you brought the roller?

Is there a problem?

Just be careful, most explorers will see it as a monster, not a pet.

Exactly.

Okay, I'll be careful.

Let's see what you can do.

Oh...

Mine?

What? I told you I helped my previous Guild to mine.

Let's go to the Explorers Guild and get that fixed.

I feel weird.

Resting removes 5 levels but allows you to recover all your Skill Points. On the original you had to lose 10 levels and Picnic wasn't a thing yet. Even worse, resting wasn't available until Lv. 30.

I feel powerful.

Before we go back, let's finish the Woodfly Quest and get the best bow available for Salvador.

Heheh...I hear lots of folks complain about all the monsters in the Labyrinth y'know. Half the time, they can only do their jobs thanks to top-notch adventurers like you.

She never said anything like that to my previous Guild.

I'm expecting a lot from you as you get to know the Labyrinth a little better. Here... a little something extra from me, for your hard work.

Right...

Gum Hide x10 and Large Fang x1 unlocks Beast Bow ATK+24, STR+2, TEC+1. Price: 700 En.

Hm, mucho mejor.

The Beast Bow is amazing for Sal, now we're more than ready.

This is the team I'll be using for the final floor, I do plan on letting readers vote for the team to fight Fenrir so keep that in mind.

Misaka has Midareba at Lv. 5, dealing two instances of 115% Cut Damage, she needs to use the Overhead Stance first so I'll have to keep an eye on her TP.

Stace has Provoke at level 7 granting a 100% Aggro value. Let's see how this goes.

Salvador has Multihit maxed, the next skill he will level up is Bows.

Rina will focus on maxing Sapping to reduce the enemy ATK, currently it's a 35% reduction. Also a single point to all binds just in case.

Cantata has Bravery maxed granting a 40% STR boost to all party members. I'll pick a single elemental imbue to have some coverage without Melissa. The only one I have right now is Frost, allowing a party member to deal elemental damage with basic attacks.

Think you can immobilize those huge scythes?

I'm not a fan of bugs, but sure... I can try.

Salvador we have two kids here, come on don't push your luck against those things.

I've been practicing a lot, I think we can deal with it.

We have Tlachtga close, if things get ugly we retreat, okay?

*sigh* Cantata and Rina stay behind me, got it?

Hm-mm~ Come on Rina.

Hey, don't hug me.

OH COME ON! On the DS titles you can get blindsided by FOEs even if you're looking directly at them. This is going to hurt...

You'll have to do better than that!

Stalker

Level: 18

HP: 600

STR: 72
TEC: 24
VIT: 38
AGI: 36
LUC: 36

Skills:
Scythe: A Cut attack that deals 120% damage to a single target, with a 97% accuracy modifier and 10% speed modifier.

Exp: 600

Item Drops:

: Scythe 90% Drop Rate. Sells for 900 En.

1 required for Cut Charm DEF+2, HP+9

: Harvester (Defeat it on the first turn) 100% Drop Rate. Sells for 1100 En.

Required for nothing.

Description: An overgrown man-eating mantis. Defeating one is a rite of passage for novice adventurers.

Damage Resistances:
: 50% : 50% : 100%
: 125% : 100% : 100%

Ailment Resistances:
: 25% : 1% : 15%

Bind Resistances:
: 25% : 25% : 25%

I just realized I have the worst team possible, the Stalker has a 50% Cut and Stab resistance but it's neutral to Bash damage and here I am using a Ronin and a Survivalist without Yolanda using Crush, Melissa spamming Flame nor having the Troubador Blaze skill to imbue my attacks with fire. This should be interesting.

I'll cut you in half, bakayaro!

Here's a really dumb mistake, Misaka should have a Red Charm equipped for that extra 5TP. If I use Overhead + 2 Midarebas I'll need 27 TP. Currently she only has 23...

Just a second.

Listen to my voice!

Those Scythes look too heavy for you...

Come at me!

Rina will try to bind its arms to avoid Scythe and lowering ATK by 30%

Cantata will just use items or elemental imbues since Bravery has an unlimited duration.

This is what a real blade can do!

Was that supposed to hurt?

I have no clue why Hexer is unlocked so late in the game, just look at that pitiful damage thanks to Sapping.

Arigatou!

Break...

I should've worked on my endurance as well...

Cool.

Stay behind me!

Your arms are broken, try again bug.

Just look at that damage, TEC is worthless on Physical attackers unless they do a composite attack, in this case Stab+Ice.

Misaka the Icy Blade, how does that sound?

Still not allowed to do that.

Binds in EO1 are very strong.

Hyosetsu!

I have no clue why Hexers need to be unlocked, at this point of the game Sapping is insane and binds got buffed making them even better.

Good job Rina, breaking its arms was really smart.

Thanks.

Okay, back to B5F.

Another white crystal, we'll be able to unlock these doors soon.

No longer trying to combo just throwing a bunch of enemies together, okay.

That's a long hallway.

Not yet?

Uh-oh.

Back off.

What treachery is this?!

The last Stiff Hide I needed, sweet.

???

Do you like dead ends? This floor has a lot.

WarBull

Level: 16

HP: 140

STR: 52
TEC: 16
VIT: 33
AGI: 18
LUC: 20

Skills:
Rampage: A Stab attack dealing 130% damage to a single target. Has a 90% accuracy modifier and a 10% speed modifier.

Exp: 120

Item Drops:

: Gum Hide 30% Drop Rate. Sells for 18 En

1 required for Hide Vest (Clothes) DEF+2
1 required for Hide Hat DEF+1, TP+5
3 required for Hide Glove DEF+1, STR+3
5 required for Hide Boot DEF+1, AGI+2
5 required for Short Bow ATK+15 Required for A favor to Shilleka II
10 required for Beast Bow ATK+24, STR+2, TEC+1

: Metal Horn 15% Drop Rate. Sells for 36 En.

Description: A bull that attacks anything within sight. Its full-speed rush is something to be feared.

Damage Resistances:
: 150% : 150% : 150%

Ailment Resistances:
: 100% : 200% : 200% : 200% : 200%
: 200% : 200% : 200% : 200% : 200%

Bind Resistances:

Say hi to the only new enemy found in random encounters. What can I even say about it, other than having a 5% higher chance to drop Gum Hides? At this point you probably already killed the Kuyutha, if not... Well I guess you can use the Warbull to practice? This formation can be scary if you don't have durable frontliners.

Oh dear.

Can you even charge with that huge head of yours?

He can...

We already unlocked everything related to these drops so eh.

B5F A4 Mine Point

Metal Horn 50% chance. Sells for 36 en.

Pyroxene 25% chance. Sells for 50 en.
1 required for Gem Ring DEF+1, Volt Resistance +10%

Required for nothing.

Even I can tell this one is worthless.

Thanks for lending me your sword Duncan but I have a new one now.

This one wolf is aggressive for some reason.

I just want to finish this floor already.

If only Miss Melissa was here...

Dear God.

Mmm.

Let me guess, we cannot go through from this side?

I could try!

It's too dangerous, let's keep moving.

This is getting ridiculous.

Had to happen at some point...

Wake...

up!

B5F E2 Chop Point

Red Fruit 15% chance. Sells for 25en.

I'm tired...

If I can keep walking wearing heavy armor you can do it too, just a bit more Misaka.

I'll sing about your Icy Blade at the Pub if you keep up Miss Ronin.

Now I'm motivated!

B5F C5 Chop Point

Red Fruit 15% chance. Sells for 25en.

What about this door.

B5F D5 Mine Point

Pyroxene 50% chance. Sells for 50 en.
1 required for Gem Ring DEF+1, Volt Resistance +10%

Metal Horn 25% chance. Sells for 36 en.

Required for nothing.

I can do the same, you know...

A Blaze Oil, what are you trying to tell me game?

You think you can hurt me? Go ahead an try!

I don't have Nectars anymore, just leave me be, game!

The only shortcut you'll get on this floor. Let's go and meet Fenrir.

. . .

Stay behind me.

This could get nasty. Let's go back to town and think about our next movement.

Stiff Hide x5 unlocks Hide Armor (Light Armor) DEF+4, HP+5 Price: 200 En.
Scythe x1 unlocks Cut Charm DEF+2, HP+9 Price: 400 En.

Now THIS is some good gear. I had no clue about the Hide Armor until I saw a gameplay on Youtube, even if you have 9 out of 10 materials, EO1 won't tell you anything. It turns out I had 4 out of 5 and since the drop rate was so low I never bothered getting more. The Accessory is a Hide Belt on steroids, stacking two will give you a lot more value than any glove or boot so far.

Okay so that was Floor 5, I'll be uploading Fenrir's Overview next where you'll be able to vote for the Guild members. Please look forward to the next update! :cheersbird:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 1, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Grinding for materials at low drop rates is the worst in these kinds of games.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

I kinda wanted to upload all the grinding as a Mini-Update but if it's boring for me to do, it would be even more boring to read. Somehow I managed to get everything together in a single update.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Fenrir Overview

Fenrir

Level: 18

HP: 1200
ATK: 96
DEF: 46

STR: 96
TEC: 48
VIT: 46
AGI: 48
LUC: 24

Skills:
Coldfang: A Cut attack that deals 115% damage to a single target, with a 90% accuracy modifier and a 10% speed modifier.
Roar: Attempts to inflict Fear on the entire party. Has a 40% infliction chance and a 10% speed modifier.

Exp: 2500

Item Drops:

: Huge Fang 100% Drop Rate. Sells for 800 En.

1 required for Celtis ATK+38

: White Hide 25% Drop Rate. Sells for 830 En.

1 required for Briault (Clothes) DEF+5, VIT+1, Ice Resist Up by 10%

Description: Leader of the wolf pack on the upper floors. It's fanged jaws have claimed many lives.

Damage Resistances:
: 150% : 0% : 100%

Ailment Resistances:
: 15% : 0% : 5%

Bind Resistances:

Wait wasn't Fenrir the Alpha Wolf? Fenrir is mostly a test to see how much damage your party can deal and will try to delay your progress as much as he can using Roar and hitting you really hard. Once he's at 50% HP or lower he'll start to use Coldfang, luckily this skill uses the head so if you can land a head bind he'll waste turns doing nothing. Sounds pretty simple so far right? Well if you read the previous update there are a lot of Wolves surrounding him and you DO NOT want them to join, they might be a lot more squishy but alongside Fenrir they're a massive threat and can buff their own attack. So how do we deal with this kitty?

Yolanda has Crush maxed granting her very high single target damage, her VIT and HP are only matched by Stace. Even without Front Guard she can survive Fenrir's attacks. Her small TP pool is a problem but nothing a Blaze Oil can't fix.

Salvador has access to Multihit. Since Fenrir starts the fight alone until a Skoll joins, this means he can land all 3 projectiles allowing him to damage Fenrir quickly and hopefully end the fight before it goes out of control. He also has high AGI to use items but it's not that reliable since FOEs can deliver turbo fast basic attacks ignoring his speed.

With Provoke, Stace can easily take off pressure from the team, she has both the highest HP and VIT and can reduce physical damage even further with Front Guard.

Assuming Duncan gets attacked and survives, he can easily recover HP on his own thanks to Drain allowing the rest of the team to keep dealing damage.

Heilen has access to Salve, but only at Lv. 2 . Hopefully Healer can help with that. If the party doesn't take damage, he can't do much.

Melissa can cook Fenrir in a few turns thanks to Flame, she's very squishy and being on the back isn't that much of a relief since we're playing EO1.

Once Cantata uses Bravery, Fenrir can't do anything about it. This only affects physical damage so it does nothing for Melissa's fire damage. She can also imbue the weapons of damage dealers with low TP like Yolanda and Misaka allowing them to stay relevant through the entire fight.

Misaka can only use Midareba 2 times before running out of TP. Her VIT is pretty low so she'll take a lot of damage even with Front Guard. Same way as Yolanda, imbuing her weapon with fire allows her to deal damage without the need of a stance.

Rina can lower Fenrir's ATK and bind its head to avoid Coldfang and Roar when he gets low on health giving the party free turns. Like Melissa she's very squishy and once Fenrir has a bind or a debuff she can't do much other than using items.

Vote up to 3 different party members to face the Alpha Cat Wolf

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I'm voting Salvador, Melissa, and Stace for the Fenrir party.

That's a very cat-looking Fenrir too, how odd.