Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I recently decided to read The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle and i really really loved it. i heard about it from discord friends and had scene the movie ages ago and i wanted to give it a shot. Most of my reading selection is various strains of history and warhammer 40k books along with various old classics sometimes. I read most of tolkein and Sapowski and some martin and i wanted to try something different in the fantasy genere. and honestly this book was such a breath of fresh air to that stuff. I still love that stuff obviously. but this is something so different espcially to alot of books written now that i wish i had discovered it sooner.

I am gonna use spoiler tags to an extent because i think if you haven't read it, you shouldnt be spoiled. its not about twists or anything, the story itself is very simple, its just the writing and charaters and philosphy that make poo poo really really work.
like for example One thing i genuinly liked is how the unicorn is almost sorta eldrich entity. i doesnt understand anything but understands everything, one day when it has an extisential crisis, she just decides to talk because she never needed to before. she is also kinda of weird prick because she doesn't value life because she doesn't understand how to live because she has basicaly been static since forever in some 2 achre woods. there is a weird child meets old one quality to the unicorn and i like it. Like because unicorns are "gone" and out of memory, people don't process what she is, the just see pretty but weird horse. but like the book shows that alot of people DO reconize them subconciously. i am not sure.

so this thread is mostly just talking about the book and its kinda meh coda/sequel and probably the movie too. spoilers are allowed but spoiler them if you think it would effect a first time reader. this is sorta my first book barn thread creation and while id love to make a LETS READ someday, work is too busy at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think the idea that the Unicorn, by being immortal/close to some kind of metaphysical entity and therefore doesn't understand certain basic aspects of humanity makes total sense. This is why the Unicorn can defeat the Reb Red Bull in the end when no other unicorn could. It sounds like immortal creatures are kinda rational in a way that mortals are not. They somehow knew they couldn't defeat the Red Bull, and so gave up. The titular unicorn could be fueled by mortal emotions, and therefore when the Bull murk Leir (sp?) it produces a completely irrational response of white hot rage.

I realize the Red Bull is a smart fantasy character in its conception; because aside from the obvious stuff it remains mysterious. It reminds me a bit of Moby Dick, in that Melville has whales at the edge of human understanding, and thus, in some ways unknowable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think the idea that the Unicorn, by being immortal/close to some kind of metaphysical entity and therefore doesn't understand certain basic aspects of humanity makes total sense. This is why the Unicorn can defeat the Reb Red Bull in the end when no other unicorn could. It sounds like immortal creatures are kinda rational in a way that mortals are not. They somehow knew they couldn't defeat the Red Bull, and so gave up. The titular unicorn could be fueled by mortal emotions, and therefore when the Bull murk Leir (sp?) it produces a completely irrational response of white hot rage.

I realize the Red Bull is a smart fantasy character in its conception; because aside from the obvious stuff it remains mysterious. It reminds me a bit of Moby Dick, in that Melville has whales at the edge of human understanding, and thus, in some ways unknowable.

yeah, i like the red bull too. i also like that they basicaly state that the red bull can only conquer, not fight. so theoretically if any unicorn had actually fought back, it may have hosed off. i also like how alot of stuff just remains a mystery in the book. i feel like too much fantasy/sci-fi, even the classics, get to much into the weeds of how everything works and the landscape and etc. last unicorn doesnt really do that even though its gorgeously descriptive. it doesnt give a poo poo about world building in the best way possible.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I love the film but haven't read the book yet. (I will, I want to!) A friend met Peter S. Beagle once (at a furry convention of all places) and said he was awfully nice.

(Also kudos for the lyric in the thread title!)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I love the film but haven't read the book yet. (I will, I want to!) A friend met Peter S. Beagle once (at a furry convention of all places) and said he was awfully nice.

(Also kudos for the lyric in the thread title!)

Thanks. I was thinking more the classic “I’m alive” line but I thought that lyric fit too and was funnier. Yeah. Peter beagle apperently got kinda hosed by credit writes and shut and only now is able to make merch rights and stuff. There is sorta of an official store now.
https://geekifyinc.com/product-category/the-last-unicorn/
Also gonna probably by this for the holidays. https://geekifyinc.com/product/the-last-unicorn-official-woven-wall-tapestry/ It’s on Etsy too.

Anyway, the book is great and kinda better in someways in a way books only can be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That tapestry is boss

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That tapestry is boss

yeah. the plush isnt bad either though it apperently ships in november. i kinda commisioned someone to make one and it will be stylized but eh. but yeah i am thinking of getting the tapestry at some point, maybe for holidays, depends on work.

anyway. one of the things i liked was how all the motivations for the villians was just toxic ways of being remembered, mommy fortuna is basicaly fine keeping a harpie in her carnvial of bullshit and basicaly loving with it because even though she KNOWS it will break its chains and kill the gently caress out of her, it will remember her forever. haggard is a dead eyed empty sociopath who has done everything probably but just sits in magic castle that he trumped a witch out of payment for and is basicaly waiting for the end but he doesnt give a poo poo because "well the unicorns will be so broken from being kept in hell limbo from the monster i had, that they wont even be able to leave when i die and the bull fucks off that they will basicaly be conditioned to be afraid, but i can watch them sparkle and still feel pangs of emotion until it all implodes".

i will say the biggest issue i have with the book is it needed to either be a little longer or a little shorter the whole castle section as interesting as it is feels kinda aimless and the whole almathea stuff while i understand feels kinda contrived and it only really works because of last section of the book, i like that leir goes from some weird NEET goon to some super knight who goes around magic pastiche world killing poo poo in hopes that the weird girl will like him because he is very very drawn to his role to the point that he basicaly fucks himself out of happinies, partly for the greater good(i do actually like that whole debate) and partly because shmendrick basicaly gaslights him into it. then he basicaly ends up with "happy" ending heartbroken and kinda stuck in his role until the sequel coda. I just feel bad for lier in both the stories. poor gently caress can't catch a break.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers—thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.”
― Peter S. Beagle, The Tolkien Reader

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah. It sucks that he kinda got hosed for a long time on movie/book and merch rights. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/...ishing%20again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am just gonna add to my dead thread that I did buy the tapestry that store was selling at a con today and now its a couch cover.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I loving love The Last Unicorn.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i also like how alot of stuff just remains a mystery in the book. i feel like too much fantasy/sci-fi, even the classics, get to much into the weeds of how everything works and the landscape and etc. last unicorn doesnt really do that even though its gorgeously descriptive. it doesnt give a poo poo about world building in the best way possible.

I agree. This is one of the book's strongest points, in my opinion. I love the ambiguity of the setting, where you're not sure if this is a fantasy version of our world or some completely made up world. Like, we have references to Robin Hood, Arabia, and a bunch of other stuff, but despite all of those references there isn't anything to really place the story in a specific place or time. Combined with the overall melancholic tone, the subtle tongue-in-cheek humor, and the tasteful metafictional elements, it just works so well. That last point about the elements of metafiction is also really interesting. I think it takes a lot of skill as a writer to do that without it coming off as a really clumsy, intro-to-creative-writing level, TVTroper-esque attempt at humor. The fact that Beagle pulls it off so well is really impressive.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I loving love The Last Unicorn.

I agree. This is one of the book's strongest points, in my opinion. I love the ambiguity of the setting, where you're not sure if this is a fantasy version of our world or some completely made up world. Like, we have references to Robin Hood, Arabia, and a bunch of other stuff, but despite all of those references there isn't anything to really place the story in a specific place or time. Combined with the overall melancholic tone, the subtle tongue-in-cheek humor, and the tasteful metafictional elements, it just works so well. That last point about the elements of metafiction is also really interesting. I think it takes a lot of skill as a writer to do that without it coming off as a really clumsy, intro-to-creative-writing level, TVTroper-esque attempt at humor. The fact that Beagle pulls it off so well is really impressive.

yeah thats why i kinda love it and why it genuinly feels timeless compared to alot of fantasy post tolkien. I love it because like i said up thread, it doesnt care about "plot" or world building or whatever. its very stream of conciousness alot and more about the characters kinda playing off each other and having introspectiontive monologues. I am usually not a fan of books that kinda spin off into long vaguely meta asides with characters but this one just clicks well. I also like that its not really a depressing book but more a bitter sweet. it has a happy ending but its a real ending. its why i am mixed on the coda short story that got published a few years back. its not bad but alot of it feels like the back story for a side quest for the witcher 3 and it kinda just ends with a fart. there is another sequel to that but apperently its awful.

I wish the book was more popular then it was. I feel like part of the reason it isnt is because the movie while amazing is half forgotten and the book isnt something people can milk for clicks and lore videos.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 4, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
thought this was neat

https://x.com/helenewecker/status/1566476097964761088?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ill have to give it a shot at some point.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I love this book. My favourite part has always been Mommy Fortuna and the harpy. The way Schmendrick is showing the unicorn all the various exhibits at the Midnight Carnival (creatures of the night, brought to light) , but then she stops in front of its cage and just says "That one is real. That is the harpy Celaeno." and how she described, with the silver hair falling like moonlight around the hating human face, and how she just lets the moon come out again. Mommy Fortuna somehow caught and caged her, and Fortuna knows that someday Celaeno will get out and kill her in vengeance for that indignity, but Fortuna doesn't care because she did it, she caught a goddamned harpy and put it in a cage to exhibit to rubes for money. Absolute legend.

Anyone read A Fine And Private Place?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

I love this book. My favourite part has always been Mommy Fortuna and the harpy. The way Schmendrick is showing the unicorn all the various exhibits at the Midnight Carnival (creatures of the night, brought to light) , but then she stops in front of its cage and just says "That one is real. That is the harpy Celaeno." and how she described, with the silver hair falling like moonlight around the hating human face, and how she just lets the moon come out again. Mommy Fortuna somehow caught and caged her, and Fortuna knows that someday Celaeno will get out and kill her in vengeance for that indignity, but Fortuna doesn't care because she did it, she caught a goddamned harpy and put it in a cage to exhibit to rubes for money. Absolute legend.

Anyone read A Fine And Private Place?

I love that all the villians reasoning is a perverted sort of memorialization. Fortuna knows that the harpie will break out and kill the poo poo out of her and anyone at the carnival when it does BUT she doesnt care because "ha ha gently caress you, YOU will remember that I caught you and confineded you, strike me down and ill always be with you" type poo poo. Haggard is similar, he is basicaly dead inside and only gets joy from seeing a bunch of animals get stuck in a watery limbo and he knows when he strokes out, the bull will just gently caress off because it has not master really, but the unicorns will be so hosed up from the expirence they will never leave their watery cage.

Also unrealated, i like how they never explain how haggard got the bull or the unicorns really, its a nice change of pace where everything is over explained,. it can be deduced that he managed to fine one or see one, became enraptured by it, and sent the bull to collect them all and almaltheia kinda dodged the net because she lives in some ashdown forest in the middle of nowhere.

Also i wanted to say, i never cared for the short sequel/coda of the book. its not BAD but it kinda feels like the backstory of witcher contract in the witcher 3 except the characters of the last unicorn all kinda show up. its sorta sad like the book but in a clever or deep way and it feels kinda like its missing alot of beuty and nuance that made the last unicorn interesting. also unrealted but i kinda like the witcher games/books for similar reasons i like the last unicorn.

https://geekifyinc.com/product/the-last-unicorn-holiday-christmas-ornaments-officially-licensed/
also they have holiday orniments. i got the purple one. its very nice.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 12, 2023

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I've been meaning to post in this thread since The Last Unicorn is a favorite of mine and this year (2023) I've read two books and saw one movie related to Beagle's classic. Posting now while there's still a few hours left in 2023.

First I read The Last Unicorn The Lost Journey which was Beagle's original first draft of The Last Unicorn. He wrote it in his early twenties and never finished it, and a few years ago they published it as a special edition (it currently goes for over $100 used, so you might want to try getting though your library). The book follows the basic plot of Beagle's finished piece, but the setting is explicitly modern and the characters of Schmendrick and Molly are absent, replaced by a two-headed demon. It was an interesting read that I couldn't really judge as it was an unfinished first draft. Beagle writes an afterword in which he describes what his life was like when working on the book.

I also read the new book The Way Home, which has the previously published coda Two Hearts as well as a new story, Sooz. I actually had read Two Hearts years ago and I do like it, as I enjoyed getting to see the characters from Last Unicorn again, and I did enjoy the bittersweet ending. Sooz, a new story that takes place ten years after Two Hearts and follows the protagonist of that tale, I can't say I enjoyed. I honestly had trouble focusing on the story, which can't have been a good sign, and maybe felt like it was too far removed from Last Unicorn. I'm probably not being fair to it and should try reading it again.

Tangentially related to The Last Unicorn, this year I watched the 1983 film The Return of Captain Invincible, an Australian superhero-musical-comedy in which the titular Captain, a now washed-up alcoholic, is called out of retirement to confront his old nemesis, Mr. Midnight. What does this have to do with The Last Unicorn? Well Captain Invincible is played by Alan Arkin and Mr. Midnight is played by Christopher Lee, so it's as if Schmendrick is facing off against King Haggard once again. That said, the movie isn't great and doesn't really pick up until the last half hour, although the scenes with Lee are always good as he was an expert at playing villains. Also the film didn't really need to be a musical, although Lee's final song Name Your Poison at the end of the film is terrific.

Finally I wanted to recommend to anyone who isn't reading it to try out the comic strip Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Dana Simpson. It's a relatively new strip at only ten years old (most newspaper comics are old enough to collect social security), has been posted in the Newspaper Comics thread in BSS. As the name suggests, the strip focuses on a young girl named Phoebe who befriends a unicorn, Marigold Heavenly Nostrils (the strip was actually titled Heavenly Nostrils when it ran as a webcomic). It has a lot of Calvin and Hobbes energy , but also manages to stand on its own. Furthermore Beagle actually wrote an introduction to the first collected edition of the comic strip. Again worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The_Other posted:

So I've been meaning to post in this thread since The Last Unicorn is a favorite of mine and this year (2023) I've read two books and saw one movie related to Beagle's classic. Posting now while there's still a few hours left in 2023.

First I read The Last Unicorn The Lost Journey which was Beagle's original first draft of The Last Unicorn. He wrote it in his early twenties and never finished it, and a few years ago they published it as a special edition (it currently goes for over $100 used, so you might want to try getting though your library). The book follows the basic plot of Beagle's finished piece, but the setting is explicitly modern and the characters of Schmendrick and Molly are absent, replaced by a two-headed demon. It was an interesting read that I couldn't really judge as it was an unfinished first draft. Beagle writes an afterword in which he describes what his life was like when working on the book.

I also read the new book The Way Home, which has the previously published coda Two Hearts as well as a new story, Sooz. I actually had read Two Hearts years ago and I do like it, as I enjoyed getting to see the characters from Last Unicorn again, and I did enjoy the bittersweet ending. Sooz, a new story that takes place ten years after Two Hearts and follows the protagonist of that tale, I can't say I enjoyed. I honestly had trouble focusing on the story, which can't have been a good sign, and maybe felt like it was too far removed from Last Unicorn. I'm probably not being fair to it and should try reading it again.

Tangentially related to The Last Unicorn, this year I watched the 1983 film The Return of Captain Invincible, an Australian superhero-musical-comedy in which the titular Captain, a now washed-up alcoholic, is called out of retirement to confront his old nemesis, Mr. Midnight. What does this have to do with The Last Unicorn? Well Captain Invincible is played by Alan Arkin and Mr. Midnight is played by Christopher Lee, so it's as if Schmendrick is facing off against King Haggard once again. That said, the movie isn't great and doesn't really pick up until the last half hour, although the scenes with Lee are always good as he was an expert at playing villains. Also the film didn't really need to be a musical, although Lee's final song Name Your Poison at the end of the film is terrific.

Finally I wanted to recommend to anyone who isn't reading it to try out the comic strip Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Dana Simpson. It's a relatively new strip at only ten years old (most newspaper comics are old enough to collect social security), has been posted in the Newspaper Comics thread in BSS. As the name suggests, the strip focuses on a young girl named Phoebe who befriends a unicorn, Marigold Heavenly Nostrils (the strip was actually titled Heavenly Nostrils when it ran as a webcomic). It has a lot of Calvin and Hobbes energy , but also manages to stand on its own. Furthermore Beagle actually wrote an introduction to the first collected edition of the comic strip. Again worth checking out.

I have been meaning to pick up phoebee and the unicorn up sometime. heard its fun and the art always looked cute like you said very calvin and hobbs.

On the way home. I am mixed on it. I like two hearts as a bittersweet coda to the story but i also kinda didnt like it partly because it feels more "conventionally" depressing then kinda hopeful but melancholy. Like i said up thread, it kinda felt like the backstory of a quest in a witcher game, except the kid meets shmendrick and molly instead of geralt. I kinda hated how old the made leir. i get why it was like that but it got kinda too blunt about "look his brain is mush and he sundowns and only remembers when someone mentions her. I did like the whole desperate fight and how it was just a hosed up chaotic mess and the kid can barely follow whats going on and is basicaly in shock the whole time. one think i didnt like even though i get why it happened was the unicorn didnt even come up to the dying lyir. I get he gets his wish, sees her and passes but idk. idk it felt weird.

I just didnt give a poo poo about sooz or the world she lived in, to me the last unicorn was never great because of deep world building but mostly because it was just a introsepective journey with characters who were kinda assholes in their own weirdly innocent way and they grow as people and realize various important poo poo. I don't give a gently caress about some kid and her grim dark villiage from the witcher. part of me would like him to write another unicorn story someday, maybe finish the lost journy as some weird side story, but at the same time after sooze and other stuff. I kinda don't want their to be anymore. Not everything needs a sequel or a prequel. its just a nice self contained story with an ok coda. i just wish more people knew about the book