Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Former Chicago Bears linebacker Dick Butkus has died.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38577860/dick-butkus-hall-fame-linebacker-chicago-bears-dies

ESPN posted:

Dick Butkus, arguably the fiercest Monster of the Midway, has died at age 80, the Chicago Bears announced Thursday.

Butkus became a Bears legend and Pro Football Hall of Famer in his nine-year career, which started in 1965. The middle linebacker was a vicious tackler whose sense of intimidation put some players on their heels before the ball was even snapped.

In a statement released through the Bears, Butkus' family said he "died peacefully in his sleep overnight" at his home in Malibu, California.

"Dick was the ultimate Bear, and one of the greatest players in NFL history," team chairman George McCaskey said in a statement. "He was Chicago's son. He exuded what our great city is about and, not coincidentally, what George Halas looks for in a player: toughness, smarts, instincts, passion and leadership.

"He refused to accept anything less than the best from himself, or from his teammates. ... His contributions to the game he loved will live forever and we are grateful he was able to be at our home opener this year to be celebrated one last time by his many fans."

Hall of Fame defensive end Deacon Jones once called Butkus a "maniac" and "well-conditioned animal." Butkus appeared to want to send a message with every tackle.

"I want to just let 'em know that they've been hit, and when they get up, they don't have to look to see who it was that hit 'em," Butkus once told NFL Films. "It shouldn't be any puzzle. When they come to, they got to say, 'It must've been Butkus that got me.'"

In a game against the rival Green Bay Packers during the 1970 season, Butkus and teammate Willie Holman hit quarterback Bart Starr so hard Starr lost his helmet and began walking toward the wrong bench.

Said the Chicago Tribune: "[Starr] looked like Oscar Bonavena after Cassius Clay had finished with him."

He made the Pro Bowl in eight of his nine seasons, but a chronic knee injury abruptly ended his career in 1974 at age 31.

"Dick Butkus was a fierce and passionate competitor who helped define the linebacker position as one of the NFL's all-time greats," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement Thursday. "Dick's intuition, toughness and athleticism made him the model linebacker whose name will forever be linked to the position and the Chicago Bears.

"... We send our deepest condolences to the Butkus family, the Bears organization and the many fans and people he impacted throughout his life."

Butkus finishing his career with 1,020 tackles and 22 interceptions. He was named All-Pro first team five times in his career, won the George Halas Award in 1974 and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility in 1979.

He also was named to the NFL's all-decade teams in the 1960s and 1970s and is a member of the league's 75th and 100th anniversary all-time teams.

"Dick had a gruff manner, and maybe that kept some people from approaching him, but he actually had a soft touch," McCaskey said in his statement. "His legacy and philanthropy included a mission of ridding performance enhancing drugs from sports and promoting heart health."

He took part in promoting a number of charitable causes through The Butkus Foundation.

Butkus spent his entire football career in Illinois. Born in Chicago, he played high school football for Chicago Vocational High School, earning a high school player of the year award as a junior.

He went on to compete in college at Illinois, where he played both center and linebacker. He helped the Fighting Illini to an 8-1-1 record and Rose Bowl victory in 1963. In his senior season, he made the All-America team and finished third in Heisman Trophy voting.

That led to Butkus being selected by the Bears with the third overall pick in the 1965 NFL draft. He had to fill the big shoes of Hall of Fame linebacker Bill George, but Butkus quickly showed he was up to the task. He set career highs with five interceptions and seven fumble recoveries during his rookie season.

Butkus only played for two winning teams with the Bears, however, and never made the playoffs. He came on during the end of the George Halas era, just missing the 1963 championship season. In his final season, the Bears went 3-11.

He continued to be a staunch supporter of the franchise after his playing days. A year ago, he even took over the team's social media account for an evening, thrilling fans.

Many people knew Butkus more for his appearances on television after his playing days. He became a well-known pitchman in commercials. His Miller Lite commercials with Bubba Smith, in which they played off their menacing reputations, were especially well known.

Butkus also appeared as an actor in a number of films in the 1970s and '80s and was a sports broadcaster -- even serving as a color analyst on Bears games.

Few people can claim to be named Dickbutt, but Dick Butkus did it.

:rip:

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1710063847359287777?s=20

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:lol: DickButt

I mean :rip:

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I'm too young to know him as a football player, but I am old enough to know him as an actor, so RIP guy who owned the diner on My Two Dads

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

This is a great tragedy in Chicago sports. Not the greatest tragedy, however, the 2023 Chicago Bears still exist as a Professional football team.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rip Dick

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember this kid on are you afraid of the dark getting made fun of because he was reading a book by dick butkis, a name I was sure was fake

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
rip mike "buttkiss" dickta

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
And he died watching this Bears team

Man what a lovely goodbye gift from them

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
He's shitposting with the angels now

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
commissioning KC Green to carve his tombstone

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

:rip:

Now he’s spending eternity with Dick Trickle and Harry Baals.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

:thurman:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

:rip: football dude whose name I’ll always remember.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm reading the thread title aloud.
BF, "Dick Butkus???"

Clearly a name living in the hearts and jokes of many.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

He's watching this first half in Football Heaven, smiling.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I'm reading the thread title aloud.
BF, "Dick Butkus???"

Clearly a name living in the hearts and jokes of many.

I've been giggling about the name since I was 8.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dickbuttkus kinda owned

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Lmao didn’t even think of that. Probably offed himself

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dick Butkus has the greatest sports name there will ever be

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

MrQwerty posted:

Dick Butkus has the greatest sports name there will ever be

It's a toss up with Dick Trickle

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

givepatajob posted:

It's a toss up with Dick Trickle

everyone can agree Dick Butkus played sports, motorsports are very controversial as far as their status among a segment of the population

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Who was chosen to carry Dick Butkus to his final resting place? Daa Pall'bears! 😂😂😂😯

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Milo and POTUS posted:

I remember this kid on are you afraid of the dark getting made fun of because he was reading a book by dick butkis, a name I was sure was fake

When I was in grade school, we made fun of a kid for reading The Hobbit, because it sounded like Bobbit.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
his name is disgusting

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
poo poo, not enough old newspaper sports pictures on the open internet, which is too bad. There’s a famous-at-the-time pic of Butkus knuckle-deep in an eye gouge.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Jury's out on whether this dude had a better name than champion swimmer and first World Anti-Doping Agency president, Dick Pound.

I've seen videos of Butkus playing though and he's 100x more terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Imagine being born with a name that amazing and ending up doing something as boring as playing football.

What a waste of an awesome name.