Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, for the purposes of this thread not really. The guy did a colossally stupid career move and exchanged a guaranteed superstardom into "hey what was the name of that one idiot who thought being James Bond was a career ending mistake?"

Especially if you keep acting and 30 years later that one Bond movie is still pretty much the only thing you are known for.

Lazenby still comes over as an arrogant, overconfident dick, even now in his 80s. His acting in OHMSS is absolutely terrible and the only thing he gets right is crying and going crazy at the end. Yet they wanted to sign him up for the next one, he could have had that job for years if he'd just played along. But oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

George Lazenby walked so Daniel Craig could take a bunch of criticism and then make one good, a couple bad and a couple decent-ish Bond movies, then transfer into the role of a gay Southern gentleman detective married to Hugh Grant

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 26, 2024

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Beefed Owl posted:

Love Guru pretty much spelled the end for Mike Myers. Apparently he was already on thin ice for Goldmember bombing and apparently being a tough person to work with.

The last thing I remember him being in is like the 50th anniversary of Saturday Night Live where he reprized his role as Wayne from Wayne's World.

I think he's been in a couple other things since then but nothing close to what he had during his glory days of the late '90s and early 2000s.

love guru was a personal passion project for mike myers and he took its enormous failure so hard he stopped making movies. it didn't kill his career so much as kill his confidence and desire to keep his career going.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Cassette Moodcore posted:

Rick Moranis was the real true Canadian comedian

He deliberately cut his career short after his wife died so he could take care of the kids. He's a good guy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Stink Billyums posted:

love guru was a personal passion project for mike myers and he took its enormous failure so hard he stopped making movies. it didn't kill his career so much as kill his confidence and desire to keep his career going.
It was really bizarre seeing him appear in a cameo in Inglorious Basterds. There was a real moment of "Wait, is that Mike Myers? Is this scene supposed to be funny?"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Chrpno posted:

I bet poor old Prince had to "play the game" plenty of times though and lip sync his own songs for corporate stuff.

Speaking of him, would it be fair to say that Prince's mainstream career didn't really survive the grunge years? All the Warner Bros and Love Symbol stuff took its toll and seemed to sideline him for most of the 90's. Also there was a long period where his music wasn't online (and everyone else's was) that didn't help.
I feel like Prince’s popularity isn’t something us mere mortals can exactly measure. Prince is, was, and will always be. A glittery purple void of love, sex, and guitars. The corporeal form is no longer on this plane of existence but his existence is. It always has been.

Furthermore (the entire episode is on YouTube)
https://youtu.be/3S0I-RNIIHw

git apologist posted:

that said i never actually watched that show and the 00s were a brutal time for misogynistic sensationalism
It floors me how misogynistic the 00s were in hindsight. Certainly didn’t warp my teen girl brain :lmao:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Nah, Prince was just a weirdo with a lot of gifts. He’s not magic he’s just a guy. He’s special but he’s not an eternal muse. Calm down.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

Speaking of the Simpson sisters.

Whilst it is not a specific moment. But older sister Jessica's career as a pop star died in the arse when it came out in that reality show she was doing that she was really REALLY dumb.

I forget the specifics, but she didn't know that Tuna was a fish or something similar.

”Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica” posted:

Jessica: Why don't you open the car door for me any more? At the begining of our marriage you were so eager to open the door for me.
Nick: Because at the beginning of our marriage I got laid.

Jessica: What does it mean when you take a really big breath and it hurts?
[inhales big]
Jessica: It hurts really bad right here.
Nick: It means you shouldn't talk for a day and a half.

Jessica: I could feel your teeth.
Nick: They're not my teeth, actually.
Jessica: Oh, I forgot. They're "ventures". No, that's dentures.
Nick: Ventures?
Jessica: What are they called?
[Nick laughs]
Jessica: Veneers.
[Nick laughs]
Jessica: I thought "dentures" and I thought "veneers". And then I came up with "ventures".
Nick: Yeah. "Think" is the key word.

Jessica: I still managed to spend $200.
Nick: That's never been a problem with you.

Jessica: You married me.
Nick: Don't remind me!

:kstarehair: Jesus Nick you loving rear end in a top hat

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ignore that I thought i was reading a different thread where that post would have been insane, instead of this one where its fine

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Ignore that I thought i was reading a different thread where that post would have been insane, instead of this one where its fine

Was about to ask if you knew what thread you were in, no biggie

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

:kstarehair: Jesus Nick you loving rear end in a top hat
Evidently her therapist later told her that Nick never loved her. Can't imagine why :thunk:

Her recent (ok, 2020) memoir is supposed to be very good. I still need to read it.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

A container ship captain, early this morning, in the Port of Baltimore

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It's on live stream as well, there should be some timestamps for the EXACT moment.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

well why not posted:

Nah, Prince was just a weirdo with a lot of gifts. He’s not magic he’s just a guy. He’s special but he’s not an eternal muse. Calm down.
Seems like someone hasn’t purified themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Was about to ask if you knew what thread you were in, no biggie

I'm so sorry you saw that. It's late, I'm high, and I thought I was reading the bridge collapse thread.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It’s Singapore flagged so I’m not sure if American law applies or not but if it does he could be looking at a manslaughter charge

Career is the least of his worries

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Supposedly, the power on the ship was going in and out making it hard/impossible to steer. More stuff in the OSHA thread or the thread on the collapse itself, but might not be the captain's fault, almost certainly the fault of whatever company owns the vessel for lack of any maintenance, but good luck getting blood from that stone.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Supposedly, the power on the ship was going in and out making it hard/impossible to steer. More stuff in the OSHA thread or the thread on the collapse itself, but might not be the captain's fault, almost certainly the fault of whatever company owns the vessel for lack of any maintenance, but good luck getting blood from that stone.

Oh I'm sure the giant insurance companies will not need our good wishes in applying infinite force to squeeze every bit of blood from whatever stones are available.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why was the power going out? They just left port. Did the captain not inspect the critical systems on the ship before leaving.

That’s the kind of questions the coast asks

If there is an accident the coast guard will find negligence somewhere and the captain almost always ends up getting some of the blame. Mechanical failure isn’t considered gee I guess it can’t be helped. It’s the responsibility of the crew to inspect the vessel. If it is not in good enough shape to leave or back up systems aren’t working it is the captains responsibility to say “we can’t go out” and they are responsible for the decision to leave anyway.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 26, 2024

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mozi posted:

Oh I'm sure the giant insurance companies will not need our good wishes in applying infinite force to squeeze every bit of blood from whatever stones are available.

The Maryland government as well as the US government will also be interested and applying force... a lot of force. that was an interstate.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Speaking of the Simpson sisters.

Whilst it is not a specific moment. But older sister Jessica's career as a pop star died in the arse when it came out in that reality show she was doing that she was really REALLY dumb.

I forget the specifics, but she didn't know that Tuna was a fish or something similar.

I don't think it really died so much as she pivoted to becoming a reality TV star since that was where the big bucks was at in the early 00s. She rode that money yacht for 3, maybe 4 seasons I think? Released a Christmas album somewhere afterwards that bombed from what I read, then decided to become a business mogul who seems to clean up pretty good, making more than she ever did from BOTH of those earlier ventures.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
All I remember about Jessica Simpson is that back in the day a lot of goons said she had the breasts of an old lady, and that she's really, really dumb.

I personally don't have an opinion; I don't think I could recognize her or know any of her music, but I definitely remember her being a "big thing" in the late 90s/early 00s (?) I feel bad the only time I have thought about her in twenty years was to remember that goons thought she had saggy boobs and she was stupid :(

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she was merely pretending to be stupid, very convincingly

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol yeah that lady that made a bunch of money early on and basically retired from doing hard stuff to make even more money without being constantly in the public eye is a real dumb dumb

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Some dumb people actually listen to those smarter than them.

Then there's trump.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

git apologist posted:

that said i never actually watched that show and the 00s were a brutal time for misogynistic sensationalism

I wonder if people remember the Anna Nicole Smith show? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anna_Nicole_Show

Probably not as it only ran from 2002-04 and is only on DVD. The one episode I remember is that she was drunk or high on pills (ok this is almost every episode and on a blind date with some rich nobody who only sees her as an object. He takes her to this Japanese steakhouse (or maybe just Benihana) where he's rented out a private dining. She can barely form basic sentences but somehow managed to demand A1 sauce for her wagu beef. Of course they don't have this but rich guy insists so they send a busboy down to the corner store.

On the limo ride home she's hanging out the window, screaming while rich guy is just calming saying, "Anna Nicole.....Anna Nicole....Anna Nicole" over and over.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lol yeah that lady that made a bunch of money early on and basically retired from doing hard stuff to make even more money without being constantly in the public eye is a real dumb dumb

yeah making money is what makes someone not stupid

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

well why not posted:

We’re all depressed in these difficult times but have you considered not posting?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah making money is what makes someone not stupid

She’s the same age as me but chilling in a mansion while I’m sitting in an office sending spreadsheets back and forth. Maybe I can do math and tie my own shoes but she’s still got the better deal.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

teen witch posted:

I feel like Prince’s popularity isn’t something us mere mortals can exactly measure. Prince is, was, and will always be. A glittery purple void of love, sex, and guitars. The corporeal form is no longer on this plane of existence but his existence is. It always has been.

drat straight.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

We’re all depressed in these difficult times but have you considered not posting?

Also drat straight.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

She’s the same age as me but chilling in a mansion while I’m sitting in an office sending spreadsheets back and forth. Maybe I can do math and tie my own shoes but she’s still got the better deal.

Maybe if you got more teenaged boys to jack off to you in Maxim magazine in the early 2000's instead of loving about with computers you'd be living the good life too!

naem
May 29, 2011

I was trying to remember who Jessica Simpson was and got flooded with repressed memories of very low cut pants, very orange tans and pink lipstick/fake-blonde hair, spikey belt 2000’s era look for girls

photos of that era look especially dated since everyone dressed the same way to the point it looks weird now

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Eminem rapped about her “flying around the room like a balloon-a grabbed the last can of chicken toona from the fridge” something something about having sex with a dude and christopher reeve was a cripple.

That’s my Jessica simpson knowledge.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah but that's more a matter of luck than intelligence. Plus when you're wealthy and connected enough you can just have people make smart business decisions for you

naem
May 29, 2011

before the current “lol at how big my rear end is” era we are currently in there was the “hey look at my torso” era where everyone’s girlfriend wore two different color sleeveless shirts on top of each other and pants that did not cover the entire pelvis

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Bonzo posted:

I wonder if people remember the Anna Nicole Smith show? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anna_Nicole_Show

Probably not as it only ran from 2002-04 and is only on DVD. The one episode I remember is that she was drunk or high on pills (ok this is almost every episode and on a blind date with some rich nobody who only sees her as an object. He takes her to this Japanese steakhouse (or maybe just Benihana) where he's rented out a private dining. She can barely form basic sentences but somehow managed to demand A1 sauce for her wagu beef. Of course they don't have this but rich guy insists so they send a busboy down to the corner store.

On the limo ride home she's hanging out the window, screaming while rich guy is just calming saying, "Anna Nicole.....Anna Nicole....Anna Nicole" over and over.

I vaguely remember seeing adverts for it when it was originally broadcasting and the network that was shown on here (E! Entertainment channel) really played up in the adverts how trashy she and her friends and family were.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

naem posted:

I was trying to remember who Jessica Simpson was and got flooded with repressed memories of very low cut pants, very orange tans and pink lipstick/fake-blonde hair, spikey belt 2000’s era look for girls

photos of that era look especially dated since everyone dressed the same way to the point it looks weird now

I feel like Busy Philipps' character in Girls5Eva is based on her.

I vaguely remember seeing adverts for it when it was originally broadcasting and the network that was shown on here (E! Entertainment channel) really played up in the adverts how trashy she and her friends and family were.

Oh totally. Likely the reason it hasn't seen the light of day is because of all the controversy around her sons' death, her death, and the paternity case her lawyer (also on the show) brought up for her young daughter. Watching that show now knowing what's really happening and what's coming would be pretty painful to see.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
When Anna Nicole Smith died, Entertainment Tonight pointed their cameras at her baby daughter non-stop. Every night they'd have some insubstantial update on the baby's life. loving vile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I will ride or die for Anna Nicole, she deserved so much better.

Slightly related, I follow Monica Lewinsky on Instagram and she’s living a more peaceful life. Kind of makes me think of if I had an older sister. I didn’t realize until recently how YOUNG she was when all that poo poo went down. Early 20s. I don’t know how she endured everyone in the country, all at once, having a very specific opinion about her, personally.