Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

naem posted:

I was trying to remember who Jessica Simpson was and got flooded with repressed memories of very low cut pants, very orange tans and pink lipstick/fake-blonde hair, spikey belt 2000’s era look for girls

photos of that era look especially dated since everyone dressed the same way to the point it looks weird now

Tabloids also had her pinned as a woman with a weight problem bc she was like 140 lbs or something.

Also her dad was an influential preacher that shoved his jailbait daughters into showbiz to attract people to the lord or whatever.

I met JS (and Tony Romo). They were nice.
I met Ashlee (with a bandaged up face from a nosejob), she was nice.
I met her husband Pete Wentz three times and he was a scumbag narcissistic rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

naem posted:

I was trying to remember who Jessica Simpson was and got flooded with repressed memories of very low cut pants, very orange tans and pink lipstick/fake-blonde hair, spikey belt 2000’s era look for girls

photos of that era look especially dated since everyone dressed the same way to the point it looks weird now

90s and 00s fashion feels like cartoonish dystopian poo poo where you were required to dress uniform or be SHUNNED, to the point where a lot of people just gave up. Though kinda funny given Daria seems more spot on that no one actually cared about that nitpicky poo poo except a vocal minority of kids with too much free time and money, and had no real power outside their hellish little cliques and hormone-addled boys who will do whatever an attractive girl tells them to anyway.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

naem posted:

I feel like this is the ultimate distillation of "early 2000s"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Bring it back.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

I have a couple of pairs of Jessica Simpson shoes, and they are pretty well-made for the price, and very cute.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i remember her mostly from the "I Think I'm In Love With You" song which was pretty good and cute.

I always thought it was poo poo that Janet Jackson got blacklisted for years because of Nipplegate and Justin Timberlake remains fine.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I've only seen Dogma once, when it came out, and I thought it was insufferable atheists: the movie, but maybe I need to watch it again. I had bad opinions on poo poo back then (too).

I do remember loving one scene though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0nsO9IS2Vs

I had a Cavalier identical to that one, down to being a 5-speed. This scene made me so happy when I was 17.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jessica Simpson also wore “mom jeans” in 2009 and got dragged by the media for being “fat” she was a size 4 and looked amazing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

She’s the same age as me but chilling in a mansion while I’m sitting in an office sending spreadsheets back and forth. Maybe I can do math and tie my own shoes but she’s still got the better deal.

You shouldn't let a celebrity existing make you feel inadequate

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

More Jessica Simpson "news":

Her sister is married to Diana Ross's son.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

well why not posted:

Jessica Simpson also wore “mom jeans” in 2009 and got dragged by the media for being “fat” she was a size 4 and looked amazing
Protip: never watch old seasons of America’s Next Top Model or the Tyra show. The insidiousness of 2000s misogyny wasn’t that it existed, is that women are some of the most ghoulish offenders.

However I do love the one where Tyra puts on a fat suit for a day and learns the lesson of “people are lovely to fat people, especially fat women.”

God I hope fat suits are a dead career. They always look terrible and we have had and currently have fat actors.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

teen witch posted:

God I hope fat suits are a dead career. They always look terrible and we have had and currently have fat actors.

Well bad news, Brendan Frasier won an Oscar a couple years ago for a fat suit performance.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah making money is what makes someone not stupid

Making enough money to beat the system does mean she can lol at anyone who tries to look down on her for lacking traditional intelligence, yeh

She may be dumb but she's not stuck in a dead-end job until she dies so, who is the real idiot? 'Haha she doesn't know her state capitals' you chuckle, as you write another capitulating email to your boss.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

emSparkly posted:

Well bad news, Brendan Frasier won an Oscar a couple years ago for a fat suit performance.

Ah crap i totally forgot, and I like Brendan Frasier (skinny and bigger).

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

teen witch posted:

I will ride or die for Anna Nicole, she deserved so much better.

Slightly related, I follow Monica Lewinsky on Instagram and she’s living a more peaceful life. Kind of makes me think of if I had an older sister. I didn’t realize until recently how YOUNG she was when all that poo poo went down. Early 20s. I don’t know how she endured everyone in the country, all at once, having a very specific opinion about her, personally.

OMG listening to her tell her side of the Bill Clinton story is heartbreaking. She was such a baby, she seriously thought he loved her. Like seriously thought he'd leave Hilary for her. He was such a loving creepy predator, going after these late teen/early 20-somethings who would be dazzled by getting attention from a man whose time was seen as incredibly valuable, and he knew that.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 28, 2024

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lewinski is older than I am, and as I got older, eventually passing her age when it went down basically made the story get sadder and sadder.

Thinking about how I was at 22, there’s no way Bill was anything but a predator.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

While nobody ever liked lipsynching, it didn't become a taboo until Milli Vanilli were exposed as frauds. Over time I think people have misremembered/misunderstood what happened there - it's not lipsynching itself that was the problem, it was that they used lipsynching to hide that they never sang "their" songs at all.

MilliVanilli came out to New Zealand for a show and appeared on an after school show aimed at teenagers (3:45 Live!) during which performed one of their songs on live TV and even at the tender age of 16 I could tell they were COMPLETE poo poo, the female host of the show was visibly crying with laughter and left the camera shot before they came back to the interview couch.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I agree but what do you mean “was”? He’s still around and now that he’s a health nut probably even more active in gross poo poo cause he still can despite being old as gently caress. Ugh :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Well a 22 year old could punch him into a pile of dust these days

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm in my early 40s and even thinking about trying to have any kind of romantic / sexual interaction or discussion with someone who is 20 years old just feels creepy and kind of weird.

So yeah that was hosed up Bill, Monica was 6 years older than his daughter Chelsea....

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Ya know, we all celebrated Rush Limbaugh’s death cause he was an unredeemable stain on humanity and actively worked to make life much worse for a huge swath of the country but if anyone has a truly personal grudge it’d be Chelsea. Like personal in the tradition of westerns or samurai revenge movies. That said gently caress the Clintons. They’re all poo poo.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

ProperCauldron posted:

Tabloids also had her pinned as a woman with a weight problem bc she was like 140 lbs or something.

To this day, I feel slight panic when my scale comes up that number, specifically because of how prevalent this was during the time. It doesn't matter that my doctors have said my weight is perfectly healthy, or that I look better than I ever have.

The omnipresent radiation of misogyny was (and is) insane. I remember tabloids running stories about possible cellulite on the hottest women imaginable, and thinking "if they're not good enough, what hope do I have?" as a loving middle schooler.

But, you know, drag queens reading storybooks is what's hurting kids and their views of themselves, obviously. :V

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot how loving weird mainstream culture was to Chelsea as a child, as we were with the Obama girls (and Michelle Obama! Still!). Are we ever going to reckon with that or no?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

teen witch posted:

I forgot how loving weird mainstream culture was to Chelsea as a child, as we were with the Obama girls (and Michelle Obama! Still!). Are we ever going to reckon with that or no?

Probably not until the current for of the gop dies. My uncle still screams about that poo poo.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

That Works posted:

I'm in my early 40s and even thinking about trying to have any kind of romantic / sexual interaction or discussion with someone who is 20 years old just feels creepy and kind of weird.

I'm in the same boat. The good old "divide by 2 and add 7" rule of thumb remains surprisingly accurate at all ages so far.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Aramis posted:

I'm in the same boat. The good old "divide by 2 and add 7" rule of thumb remains surprisingly accurate at all ages so far.
I just barely make my own relationship with that rule, but I think after 25 it’s less relevant.

Nonetheless, the formula has nothing to do with the power imbalance between boss and employee, ain’t no math gonna make that ok. Especially when the boss is the literal president.

Nov 6, 2002

SNL used to make fun of Chelsea for being ugly.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Bill is a predator and has accumulated a long list of victims over the years. Hillary couldn't even press Trump much on the Access Hollywood tape because Trump was ready to parade out Bill's many accusers and ask why she stayed married to that guy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

SNL used to make fun of Chelsea for being ugly.

I feel like some forget how Uber lovely and socially conservative American mainstream culture was up until near the end of Obama’s first term, you started seeing the turn around during W but it took along time, obviously it’s still not great in areas but it’s kinda better in some ways.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

teen witch posted:

No, probably not. Think of all the poo poo the Bush twins got up to that was never really made a big deal of. Which, good, it shouldn’t, but no we as a country are never gonna deal with this hypocrisy. Look at all the poo poo they’re throwing at Hunter Biden. At least he’s an adult and somewhat skeezy.

I had the misfortune to listen to Rush in the early/mid ‘90’s, (he was new to the area and my mom briefly and my uncle for life listened to that poo poo) am about the same age as Chelsea and he would not shut the gently caress up about her, constantly calling her a dog, making dumb songs etc; it was loving gross and yeah, people forget that. And yeah, not to defend a Clinton but that poo poo was hosed up. Then the Bush twins are off limits? Good. Then Obama’s kids? Fire away dipshits! And they’re still pushing that Michelle used to be a man poo poo. It’s just hate all the way down. Tired of this poo poo

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
the moment I thought that maybe mainstream news media wasn't all it was cracked up to be was when they kept using that very unflattering photograph of Monica Lewinsky. It was extremely gross, they may as well have sketched a mustache on her, and put stink lines all around her with the word "STINKY!" above her head. Totally tried to make her out to be some sort of joke.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Making enough money to beat the system does mean she can lol at anyone who tries to look down on her for lacking traditional intelligence, yeh

She may be dumb but she's not stuck in a dead-end job until she dies so, who is the real idiot? 'Haha she doesn't know her state capitals' you chuckle, as you write another capitulating email to your boss.

the convo was about traditional intelligence, goobers just changed the subject to get their moralizing in for the day. Jessica Simpson is now totally cool and part of the good team because the 00s sucked, making fun of the dumb poo poo she says is now impure. standard sa forums routine

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Well the reason I was originally posting some of the dumb things she said was to show how completely off-kilter and frankly demoralising Nick Lachey’s replies to her were, and how the whole show was edited to make it seem like they were basically living in an episode of I Love Lucy but they’re both hot people so it’s funnier actually. There’s no real way to feel good about what she went through on that show. Sure, she has money now and has her own businesses she runs. Great for her. But she still went through some messed up poo poo that made a lot of money for MTV and a lot of other heartless companies around her and that’s without even getting into how horrible John Mayer was about her after her divorce from Nick, all the while her career and personal life were basically falling apart in the public eye. That’s absolutely bound to have a hosed up effect on someone’s mental health, so whether or not she’s doing good now financially at the very least I hope she’s doing okay mentally.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it’s shocking how Mayer hasn’t been chased out of society. Metoo started up and I thought he’d be living under an assumed name within a few weeks. The skeletons in the closet just weren’t as many as I’d thought. He’s not a great person but I’d assumed worse.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mid-90s to early 2000's fashioned needs a comeback.

I want whale tails as far as the eye can see.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

well why not posted:

it’s shocking how Mayer hasn’t been chased out of society. Metoo started up and I thought he’d be living under an assumed name within a few weeks. The skeletons in the closet just weren’t as many as I’d thought. He’s not a great person but I’d assumed worse.

He jumped on the Dead's coattails for his 2nd act

Nov 6, 2002

well why not posted:

Banging a lot of chicks and then dumping them isn't really anything too shocking.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Mid-90s to early 2000's fashioned needs a comeback.

I want whale tails as far as the eye can see.
Have you been in a store lately

I don’t miss low rise jeans, however. rear end flatterers over rear end flatteners.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

would have to spin up some more polo shirt factories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

teen witch posted:

Protip: never watch old seasons of America’s Next Top Model or the Tyra show. The insidiousness of 2000s misogyny wasn’t that it existed, is that women are some of the most ghoulish offenders.

However I do love the one where Tyra puts on a fat suit for a day and learns the lesson of “people are lovely to fat people, especially fat women.”

It's rare to see a fat actor, especially female, in a role where their weight isn't the main definition of their character. It's always weight loss, not loving how they look, or in a terrible relationship because they are fat and miserable. This is Us is a perfect example. I don't know how we got here when shows like Rosanne (the early ones) showed that her and her husband were still sexual and totally fine with how they looked and had other poo poo to worry about.

I'm not saying those aren't real life problems, but it would be nice to see someone in a role and that be that. Why do I care if someone playing a secretary, detective, lawyer, etc, is overweight? Oh right, because Internet. That's why,.

well why not posted:

Lewinski is older than I am, and as I got older, eventually passing her age when it went down basically made the story get sadder and sadder.

Thinking about how I was at 22, there’s no way Bill was anything but a predator.

Before he even took office there were two serious allegations against him from his time as Gov of Arkansas. Some of you likely were not even born yet So maybe you don't remember Paula Jones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paula_Jones or Gennifer Flowers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gennifer_Flowers. Both of which featured in Playboy. I don't think Monica even appeared nude did she?

I think the GOP hated all this so much because he was getting away publicly with something they all go to great lengths (and money) to hide. I think they were afraid another intern or paige would also confess to the same behaviour,