Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The truly damaging thing Katherine Heigl did to her reputation was declining Emmy consideration for Grey's Anatomy and making it known in the press she did so to stick it to the writers/producers.

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination and in an effort to maintain the integrity of the academy organization, I withdrew my name from contention," she tells Gold Derby. "In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials." https://www.businessinsider.com/2008/6/katherine-heigl-grey-s-anatomy-didn-t-give-me-emmy-worthy-material

Brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Extra Large Marge posted:

When Rhonda Rousey fought against someone who knew how to defend against an armbar (Holly Holm).

She was just fed easy fights for so long lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Freudian slippers posted:

"Fighter X was always bad" is annoying as poo poo. Ronda fought the best opposition in the world (barring Cris Cyborg who wouldn't get off the roids for five minutes) and (until Holm), beat them all handily. She then lost to the undisputable women's GOAT Amanda Nunes before retiring. There were no better fighters available than those she fought at the time. It's a fair criticism to say that she failed to evolve alongside the sport, but not that she was fed easy fights.

In a sport laden with tragic endings, criticising a fighter for chosing to retire in time is an ugly thing to do.

She went full bigot shortly after her loss, I have no respect for her and even less for the UFC and their dipshit ownership

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Busters posted:

Three things about that: Hinsion's whole character was bombastic, crude and over the top. Maintained it for so long that it became him. He would say things like he founded the entire Country Western Genre and claimed he was more talented than any other artist out there.

What I'm saying is, it's not clear that his horrible comments weren't just shitposting

That "defense" hasn't worked for a while.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Modal Auxiliary posted:

So this video led me to a truly amazing discovery. I am not a baseball fan, but as I understand it, Nick Castellanos (the dude who interrupted Brennaman with a home run) has some sort of latent superpower that activates every time he senses a commentator trying to be deadly serious about something.

It's like an absurdist sketch comedy bit. Nobody is allowed to eulogize or memorialize or apologize without this dude just absolutely cranking a loving dinger. Next time I receive really terrible news I'm going to assume Nick Castellanos is hitting a home run about it somewhere.

That video is loving surreal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FilthyImp posted:

Also a guy that got a few HOLLYWOOD movies and recognized they weren't his jam.

Like most people would die inside and just become hollowed out husks chasing something that they thought they wanted.

Dude went out and crowdfunded a Jesus Folk are Crazy film then a Guy Gets Turned into a Walrus flick.

which were loving awful

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Woolie Wool posted:

I remember Book 5 taking an eternity to come out and being a total slog whose only interesting part was Dolores Umbridge. Turns out she was the real Rowling self insert lmao

People gave Rowling a lot of excuses because the first three Potter books are genuinely good kid's books full of clever ideas and whimsical touches that were actually funny, because people want to believe there is a moral order to the universe, that good art is made by good people and bad people make bad art, much like the great rock albums of the 1960s and 1970s were good music even though half the people involved in them were pedophiles, and a lot of people cannot live with this cognitive dissonance and want to believe either that Jimmy Page was innocent or that Led Zeppelin never made good music

Rowling always was terrible but she wrote three very good books in which her terrible personality and opinions were on display but nobody cared because she had a huge stroke of inspiration at the beginning and the early Potter books were great despite her.

E: the big difference between Led Zeppelin and Rowling was that Zep knew when to loving stop

They're mediocre

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kit Walker posted:

How common is lip syncing these days anyway? I imagine it's one of those things that no one really talks about but a lot of performers do, but I have no idea. It would just be funny if it was quite widespread at the time and she was the only one unfortunate enough to really get noticed doing it

It seems very widespread for anything that is broadcast live

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

She’s the same age as me but chilling in a mansion while I’m sitting in an office sending spreadsheets back and forth. Maybe I can do math and tie my own shoes but she’s still got the better deal.

You shouldn't let a celebrity existing make you feel inadequate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Making enough money to beat the system does mean she can lol at anyone who tries to look down on her for lacking traditional intelligence, yeh

She may be dumb but she's not stuck in a dead-end job until she dies so, who is the real idiot? 'Haha she doesn't know her state capitals' you chuckle, as you write another capitulating email to your boss.

Improbable Lobster posted:

You shouldn't let a celebrity existing make you feel inadequate