Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Jason Alexander has done some voice acting and is pretty solid. Not so much a career death as it is a kind of change.

Is that puppet comedian’s career dead? God I found out he was around a LOT longer than the 2000s.

Also lol Gina Carano in the Bag Fumblers Hall of Fame. Girl you had not just Disney money, you had Star Wars money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
We still live in a world where people ride or die for Allen and Polanski so, yeah.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Despite there being some repeats already, I'd like to keep this thread going until we can put Jared Leto in it.

Good god yeah, who is he paying off

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

A good choice but I wouldn’t say it was the exact moment

Career death, not literal

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Oh I dunno, Elizabeth Berkley at least got to be "the girl from Saved by the Bell and Showgirls" and not just "the girl from Saved by the Bell" lol

And Showgirls has a massive cult following these days so it might have just been a matter of timing

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Extra Large Marge posted:

I saw "Gucci" in the theaters. My reaction was that it wasn't bad, but I wondered who the gigantic ham they got to play Pablo Gucci was.

Looked it up and it was Leto in a fat suit and bald cap. I had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2w82j7XS8

This guy has the devil's luck

https://youtu.be/O38-IuOmExU?si=NYHdp-dyfyWNCy5j

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Don't forget their other post GOT project was an alternate history series where the Confederacy won the American Civil War (which thankfully didn't get past the planning stage).

Good god I remember that, and the film CSA Confederate States of America already exists and is pretty solid/depressing.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I think she simply couldn’t take the L. She saw power and wealth as “clearly I’m doing something right therefore I’m always right”, and just unable to recognize a gently caress up. Girl straight up fell under her own spell. Ego is a drug. Happens to anyone.

I do like that most of the actors in the HP movies are like “yeah no gently caress her”, as are a lot of adult fans. Sucks because more people are understanding of “yeah there are some bad elements to the books but if you know better and do better now, we’re cool” than irreversible condemnation, and I think allowing for that room for growth is good. She just doesn’t want to grow, and that’s frankly sad.

I do find it ironic is that she is more on the side of those who wanted to burn her books 90s now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Gatto Grigio posted:

the reason she was perceived by the American right as far more radical than she actually was had a lot to do with evangelical response to HP in the 2000s.The fundie Christians throw accusations of promoting witchcraft and Satanism, and suddenly HP looks like this subversive counterculture thing. That, and also the later HP books centered around the Voldemort conflict were seen as an allegory of young freedom-loving kids fighting against a metaphor for fascism and oppression. But because Voldemort’s cause was fantasy racism, it wasn’t hard to project your own struggles on Harry if you were a young person feeling oppressed, and, if you only looked at her on a surface level, you’d assume that Rowling was “on our side.”

I think how she approached that was fine and I really can’t fault kids for making that connection when they read it, y’know? If that’s how kids understand it, so be it.

I think she didn’t understand what her books meant to kids, however. I think I know of like, two straight HP fans offhand? Makes her turn towards bigotry and whining about it all the more disgusting.

God I don’t miss that era of evangelicals thinking everything was triple infused with Satan. And thankfully I won’t need to because the Satanic Panic just will not go away!

E: with that I would like to bring up Kat Von D and me hoping her career is actually dead so I never need to hear of her from creepy men ever again.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m a fan of Squidbillies and Hinson fully deserved to get shitcanned to the moon for what he said. There is no defense nor “but it is joke” bullshit to justify it. Sorry the world has changed and his dumbass ran back in time.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Although Tracy Morgan is also a garbage person who said some extremely homophobic stuff.

Yeah, gently caress him too. I haven’t seen the newer episodes but there are far better people to replace Hinson with. Honestly a rotating voice cast would have been cool.

Did they ever solve that issue with Roiland?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The most annoying thing about the final season is that the first episode back they had Walton Goggins on as a guest star and he would have been an amazing Early.

The newest season of Rick and Morty just aired with the replacement voices and they're pretty good. If you didn't know you probably wouldn't have noticed anything different about those characters. Although the premiere did have Mr Poopybutthole in it and he was voiced by a new actor too which was noticeable.

gently caress I’d have watched an entire season with Goggins! I’m already dealing with Gemstone withdrawals

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh goddamnit I haven’t watched her in a while but her actual work was pretty solid. She became the very thing she swore to destroy. Christ

E: I am open to other YouTubers who do similar work

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/cornel-west-donation-harlan-crow-1234857237/amp/

Christ

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like “don’t be involved with minors sexually” is not that high of a bar for…most.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tarkus posted:

No, it was alopecia. Which I guess you shouldn't make fun of either but she's got a full head of hair aside from a small spot, she just shaved her head at the time.

It’s also incredibly :yikes: that she was heckled for her hair, from Chris Rock, director of documentary “Good Hair”, a documentary about the poo poo black people, especially black women, get for their hair.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sometimes men have juicy asses and sometimes women have killer hogs. Sometimes, both.

Liberate yourself from the jort binary

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jSdyDt-Ync

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do you think that Greta Van Fleet- you know what ... nevermind. Terrible premise for a bit.
I see battlevests with Greta Van Fleet patches occasionally and I think I know what stolen valor feels like now?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
nothing to see here, just a dumb dumb

teen witch fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 21, 2024

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Jesus loving Christ teen witch stop multitasking

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
lol what posting career

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Chrpno posted:

I bet poor old Prince had to "play the game" plenty of times though and lip sync his own songs for corporate stuff.

Speaking of him, would it be fair to say that Prince's mainstream career didn't really survive the grunge years? All the Warner Bros and Love Symbol stuff took its toll and seemed to sideline him for most of the 90's. Also there was a long period where his music wasn't online (and everyone else's was) that didn't help.
I feel like Prince’s popularity isn’t something us mere mortals can exactly measure. Prince is, was, and will always be. A glittery purple void of love, sex, and guitars. The corporeal form is no longer on this plane of existence but his existence is. It always has been.

Furthermore (the entire episode is on YouTube)
https://youtu.be/3S0I-RNIIHw

git apologist posted:

that said i never actually watched that show and the 00s were a brutal time for misogynistic sensationalism
It floors me how misogynistic the 00s were in hindsight. Certainly didn’t warp my teen girl brain :lmao:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

well why not posted:

Nah, Prince was just a weirdo with a lot of gifts. He’s not magic he’s just a guy. He’s special but he’s not an eternal muse. Calm down.
Seems like someone hasn’t purified themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I will ride or die for Anna Nicole, she deserved so much better.

Slightly related, I follow Monica Lewinsky on Instagram and she’s living a more peaceful life. Kind of makes me think of if I had an older sister. I didn’t realize until recently how YOUNG she was when all that poo poo went down. Early 20s. I don’t know how she endured everyone in the country, all at once, having a very specific opinion about her, personally.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

well why not posted:

Jessica Simpson also wore “mom jeans” in 2009 and got dragged by the media for being “fat” she was a size 4 and looked amazing
Protip: never watch old seasons of America’s Next Top Model or the Tyra show. The insidiousness of 2000s misogyny wasn’t that it existed, is that women are some of the most ghoulish offenders.

However I do love the one where Tyra puts on a fat suit for a day and learns the lesson of “people are lovely to fat people, especially fat women.”

God I hope fat suits are a dead career. They always look terrible and we have had and currently have fat actors.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

emSparkly posted:

Well bad news, Brendan Frasier won an Oscar a couple years ago for a fat suit performance.

Ah crap i totally forgot, and I like Brendan Frasier (skinny and bigger).

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot how loving weird mainstream culture was to Chelsea as a child, as we were with the Obama girls (and Michelle Obama! Still!). Are we ever going to reckon with that or no?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Aramis posted:

I'm in the same boat. The good old "divide by 2 and add 7" rule of thumb remains surprisingly accurate at all ages so far.
I just barely make my own relationship with that rule, but I think after 25 it’s less relevant.

Nonetheless, the formula has nothing to do with the power imbalance between boss and employee, ain’t no math gonna make that ok. Especially when the boss is the literal president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Mid-90s to early 2000's fashioned needs a comeback.

I want whale tails as far as the eye can see.
Have you been in a store lately

I don’t miss low rise jeans, however. rear end flatterers over rear end flatteners.