Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Armie Hammer and the cannibalism allegations.

This was a guy who kept showing up in movies, even after having bombs like The Lone Ranger. Some casting director or producer really likes him, despite him being the most mediocre white guy imaginable. He was currently attached to like a half dozen projects when abuse allegations came out against him. And I honestly think he would have skirted past them like so many do, except for all the cannibalism stuff.

It’s just so weird and saying stuff like “Did you hear Armie Hammer wants to eat people?” sticks with you in such a way that I think he’s gonna be seen as poisonous to any creative project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Speaking of right-wing grifters, this might be a bit premature but I think we're finally seeing the downfall of Steven Crowder.

Perhaps most famous for this role as The Brain on PBS Kids' Arthur TV show, Crowder is a failed comedian and actor who got into the right-wing grift after his youtube videos starting gaining popularity in the late 2000s. This led to a series of interviews on Fox News and getting picked up by various conservative media outlets.

Crowder then repeatedly failed upward, getting fired from Fox News but rebounding with a popular youtube channel and podcast. He's pretty much the most run of the mill young conservative you can imagine - he says stupid poo poo, he skirts the line of being outright bigoted, and he disguises everything with a veneer of "humor" that he uses to deflect any kind of actual criticism.

In March of 2023, after getting repeatedly banned from youtube, Crowder moved his show to Rumble. What is Rumble? Basically a shittier social media platform designed for your racist uncle.

Then, in April of this year, a video came out showing him screaming and insulting his then-pregnant wife. Around the same time, Crowder got into a dispute with The Daily Wire, which is pretty much the premiere conservative media conglomerate that's also for your racist uncle.

Crowder had already lost a chunk of his audience and influence with the Rumble move, but the video exposed the real Crowder to people, and even his most die-hard fans began to turn on him. Couple that with The Daily Wire's dispute and it looks like (hopefully) this 37 year old loser is finally losing his relevance.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I legit don't understand how anything you posted would cause the kind of people that are his fans to turn on him

You have to walk a careful line as a conservative influencer. You can (and probably should) hate women, but you can't yell at your own pregnant wife. You can scam people, but you can't scam other conservatives. And you can post on websites like FREEDOMSOCIAL or TRUMPWEB or PATRIOTFORCE1 but you can't make it your only platform to watch your videos.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

McGavin posted:

I'm pretty sure that scamming conservatives is the whole point of becoming a conservative influencer.

Sorry, I meant other "conservative influencers" aka people who know the grift.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I don't really think John Landis' career ever died, even though it should have. The Twilight Zone movie came out in 83, he still did Coming to America, Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, and a whole host of smaller projects. He pretty much just retired at a certain point, he got away scot-free despite definitely being culpable for 3 deaths. I don't give a poo poo how good Blues Brothers is, this guy should have paid for his crimes.

As for Max Landis, yeah, hopefully that guy's career is dead and buried. He made those "Death and Return of Superman" and "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" short films which everybody loved at the time. He had insane cameos from all kinds of stars, despite these things basically boiling down to "Max Landis talks about a thing with only the slightest amount of criticism or original thought". But "Wrestling Isn't Wrestling" had a bunch of babes dressed as wrestlers so it got really popular, WWE even talked about it, and I think that launched Landis to the point that he could make Bright. Then he made Bright, was revealed as a massive sex pest and an actual rapist, and even said that his crimes weren't that bad because he "wasn't a real celebrity".

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Speaking of UK TERFs and dead careers - Graham Linehan.

A pretty prolific comedy writer, probably best known for Father Ted and IT Crowd. Huge hit shows in the UK and very popular in the US, too. He could have definitely launched another show based on his name alone and was supposedly working on a Father Ted musical.

Then he decided to get extremely online after an episode of the IT Crowd received criticism for some pretty blatant anti-trans stuff. Linehan at first said that he wasn't transphobic and that the character was. And maybe, just maybe, he would have been okay if this is all that happened. But, no, he decided to really dive in to complete insanity.

I'm not going to get into too much of it because it's really hateful, vile poo poo, but Linehan managed to get himself banned from Twitter, then pretended to be a trans person to stir up more hate, and even created a fake dating profile and started posting pictures of trans and non-binary people on it, just straight up "look at this person trying to date people! what a weirdo!"

Now, you may ask, how does a busy writer with a wife and kids find the time to do this? By being too online for his family, for starters. His wife left him in 2020 and took the kids, saying that his online hatred and the associated financial and legal troubles became too much to bare. Well, okay, maybe he can lose himself in his work! Not so fast, as every single project Linehan was working on got summarily dropped. The Father Ted musical died after he demanded everyone working on the musical sign a declaration agreeing with his views on trans people. He has no more relationship with Channel 4 or the BBC, and he got dropped by his agent after Linehan called David Tennant a groomer.

Linehan will never take responsibility for his own actions and believes in "cancel culture" as this malicious force that can randomly decide to end careers. Cancel culture took his wife and kids, it took away his source of income, and it's the reason he won't stop posting 24/7. And, like a lot of CANCELLED people, he just wrote a book. It presumably reveals more of his insane inner thoughts and probably paints him as a Christ-like figure out to suffer the slings and arrows of the WOKE ELITE MOB.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

MrQwerty posted:

and Richard Ayoade summarily ate poo poo for enthusiastically endorsing it

My greatest hope is that Ayoade is far too busy to have read the book or even know what Linehan was up to in the last few years, he just rubber-stamped an endorsement after having worked on IT Crowd. I'm just gonna hold onto that thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Another Bill posted:

The thing about Linehan that always gets me is that before he self destructed, his wife and he were extremely vocal and financial supporters of the successful campaign to liberalize abortion laws in Ireland. A big part of that was his ( now ex)wife Helen openly discussing her traumatic personal experience. It was a truly heroic thing imo.

Then he just pissed it all away.

I think it's a combination of an inflated ego and being way too online.

My former brother-in-law went through a similar transformation from 2019-2022, he was always kind of a libertarian doofus but by 2020 he was posting really repulsive poo poo online and getting this positive feedback loop from a bunch of other losers online that kept him going. He lost a ton of business from scaring off customers and is now divorced form my sister-in-law, all because he couldn't stop posting online and getting that high of some fat white dude posting "I agree with you!" on a hate forum.