Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Moonring is a free RPG from Dene Carter, one of the designers of Fable. It’s Ultima-like to the point of half your screen being your stats and a combat log, as well as occasionally needing to manually type in keywords to interact with NPCs, open locks or cast spells. Even if you’re not into old-school 80s RPGs, though, there is a lot to like about Moonring!

Yes, you will still be pressing keyboard shortcuts and tabbing through menus to play the game, but most of your interactions can be controlled with just the mouse or even just arrow keys and enter. Things like stealth, your line of sight, and even available topics to discuss with NPCs are all helpfully visualized on screen with graphical effects. And while it’s a tile-based game with minimal animation, Moonring makes brilliant use of its palette and moody soundtrack to keep the experience feeling quite lively. It’s a very slick, stylish package overall, one that I daresay will ease a new audience into a game that in many other ways feels very old-school.

The Premise

Moonring is pretty coy about the world you inhabit and what you do, so I’ll keep this pretty vague. Your goal in the game is to travel the world and collect relics from major dungeons, each of which is dedicated to one of the setting’s five gods. These gods and your relationship with them are the mechanical cornerstone of the game. They’re how you raise your stats, gain new abilities and equip more powerful weapons. Each god has its own town, which will give you clues to finding the god’s associated relic to complete the main quest.

Combat

If you’ve played the old Ultima games or a roguelike, you have some idea of how this game works, though it diverges from both inspirations in some core ways. First, it’s all “bump” combat like Rogue, so you’ll walk into enemies to attack them in melee. All the other characters move at the same time you do, and there is no diagonal movement.

You’ll notice that your character always has a dotted line box around them while walking around. This shows the range at which enemies detect your presence. You can press Q to go into sneak mode, which halves your speed, douses your light source (narrowing your field of view), and shrinks the dotted line box. If enemies weren’t already aware of you when you do this, and you attack an enemy without them entering the box, you get a 1.5x damage bonus. Almost every kind of character can make good use of this bonus, regardless of build, so don’t ignore this mechanic!

The other big core system element is called poise. Poise is more or less shields from Halo. You have a certain amount of temporary HP that begins to refill itself as long as you’re not in melee with an enemy for a couple turns. As long as you have even one point of poise, you cannot take direct HP damage. You’ll want to exploit this mercilessly, using hit and run tactics to keep enemies from ever touching your real HP reserves. The game will helpfully play a sound and warn you when an enemy has broken your poise, signaling that you may want to back off for a moment to recover.

Your movement speed is also something you want to keep an eye on, which is modified by your encumbrance. It’s displayed as a % value. Having less or more than 100% movement speed affects how often you will get a “free” turn compared to your enemies, and will let you, for example, eventually outpace a pursuing enemy so you can recover poise. Remember that sneaking halves this number.

Layered on top of these core systems is the plethora of god abilities, mechanical devices, and spells you’ll find in the game. The god abilities in particular use energy, which you have 100 of and recover while fighting enemies. You’ll want to figure out which of these abilities works best for you and use them a lot, because it’s difficult to just passively level yourself into bumping every enemy to death. You’ll need to put your energy and inventory to good use to survive the tougher encounters.

Gods

The RPG mechanics work like this: doing a couple different things in the game nets you devotion points which you spend on any of the five gods to gain abilities which you then mix and match to form your build. Each point spent on a god raising the god’s associated attribute. For example, buying the wolf god’s abilities will give you +5 strength for each new ability purchased. The stats primarily serve as requirements to wield new weapons, but every stat has some passive benefit as well. You get the points to devote to the gods by completing quests associated with each god (handily listed under the god’s description in your menu), and range from major accomplishments like finding their associated relics to small things like killing X enemies while blind. You can find items that give you points to spend as well.

One last mechanic associated with the gods is “dedication.” If you dedicate yourself to a particular god, the energy cost of using their abilities is halved and you gain a special boon offered only to the dedicated followers. The cost of this is that you have to avoid committing that god’s “taboos.” For example, followers of the Lords of Dust are forbidden from using potions, but get a boon that auto-identifies constructs and makes them more durable. Note that dedicating yourself to a god grants a full heal and can be done at any time, so consider doing it when you’re about to die. Breaking the taboo inflicts a curse on you from that god, but you can donate money to their town or find items to mitigate this. As such, don’t stress out too much about which god to dedicate yourself to; it’s fairly safe to experiment.

Exploration

While this game has roguelike elements, most of it works like a typical old school RPG. You’ll travel across the countryside to towns via a world map, search for ruins, talk to townspeople, solve puzzles, etc. The things outside of the dungeons are persistent and pre-designed, but the dungeons are randomly generated and do not allow saving. Once you step into a major dungeon you’ll need to complete all of it without dying, or you’ll lose everything you’ve found on that run. The smaller dungeons do let you exit early with your loot, at least.

Where most games would have darkness for you to fight off with your lantern, this game has Amber mist. When you stand long enough in a cloud of Amber, you will go “insane” and your movement becomes erratic. Fill your lantern with oil to ward this off, as getting caught by enemies without full control of your character can lead to a quick end. Once you’ve filled your lantern, the only way to stop it from using oil is to go into sneak mode.

One thing that’s important to remember while exploring the world is that while the game shows you keywords floating around your character’s head to ask NPCs, any keyword not mentioned by that NPC will need to be typed in if you want to learn about it. So if Bob in Village A tells you to go ask Charlie in Village B about mistletoe, you need to actually type in the word “mistletoe” when talking to Charlie in Village B.

Early Game Tips

• Take note of all the easiest god quests to complete to get some quick abilities and stats. Visiting towns, picking herbs, repairing a construct, and killing 200 enemies are all pretty easy to complete. If you grab the blind angel spell that lets you leap away at the cost of being blinded, you can easily complete the “kill 10 enemies while blinded” quest. While it may seem pointless to spend 2 devotion points to earn 2 devotion points, any ability that gives you instantaneous movement is super useful in this game.

• There is a devotional tear in Moon-Upon Thoss in an alley between a four-quadrant building you’ll see right at the start of town. Pick it up, and check that alley every time you come back to that town. It regenerates on some timer no one has figured out just yet. I have gotten at least five of them from there, and am honestly not sure whether or not this is a glitch.

• Early game money: If you follow a trader walking along the road you’ll occasionally see them get attacked by overworld enemies. If you join the fight and save them, you’ll get a decent amount of money for the early game and your reputation in that town will increase. If you join the fight but they die, you’ll get some of the stock they were carrying, which occasionally includes 10k+ costing equipment you can then sell. Whether or not you join the fight, if the trader dies the game will tell you the economy for their associated town has been negatively affected. It’s unclear just how big of a difference this makes, but remember that you can always invest your own money in towns using the sign at the front of each to improve their economy.

• Once you’ve got a thousand or so gold to spare, the sellswords you can hire can put in some decent work in a dungeon. They cost 25 gold per hour, so they’ll get expensive if you’re traipsing across the entire overworld with them. If you can hire one near a dungeon you need help with, they’re pretty handy.

• Sneaking: At least in the early game, you probably aren’t going to be doing a lot of sneaking right up to an enemy and stabbing them in the back. You can theoretically do this by hiding in cover and waiting for them to pass by, but the easier way to take advantage of sneak mode is to use either ranged attacks or the wolf ability that lets you jump to a square and deal AOE damage to everyone around you. The stealth multiplier applies to everyone affect by AOE abilities like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i loving adore how this game looks. i feel like it being free actually undercuts how cool and well put together it feels

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
This game is weirdly engrossing. I've been playing it for the past week or so and I'm finding it really hard to put down. Anyone on the fence should really check it out! It's free, it's not like you've got anything to lose :v:

One thing I could use a bit of a hint on is how to get my hands on a ship deed. I'm clearly not supposed to save up the 100k gold to buy it, and the item description hints that it might be possible to persuade someone into forging one. Do I need to talk to a particular NPC or is it something else?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
This really does feel like Ultima IV between the aesthetic and dealing with gods and their taboos, although I guess that's a bit more optional than the virtues since you don't have to devote yourself to one, you still have to engage with their quests to level up so it gets you thinking a bit about what they're all about.

Took me a few restarts to really get going with it, since you can't make saves and between spending my points unwisely and getting autosaved outside of dungeons deep in the wilderness with no health I felt pretty stuck a few times.

Current run's going well. Definitely recommend aiming for the vampire bite ability to easily restore health early on. I haven't really made any progress with the plot but exploring's fun once you're competent in a fight. Shoutout to the great wolf summon for having a magical bite attack that saved me when I got surrounded by ghosts none of my physical weapons could hurt.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I wandering around the overworld getting in all sorts of mischief. I can take on those random buildings you find now, at least. I'm not sure which relic to pursue first so I went east since it seemed comfy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've got a bunch of high profile cutting edge games waiting for my attention but I've just been playing this instead.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

One thing I could use a bit of a hint on is how to get my hands on a ship deed. I'm clearly not supposed to save up the 100k gold to buy it, and the item description hints that it might be possible to persuade someone into forging one. Do I need to talk to a particular NPC or is it something else?

Try breaking into the houses in Harrowdus.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Nickoten posted:

[*]There is a devotional tear in Moon-Upon Thoss in an alley between a four-quadrant building you’ll see right at the start of town. Pick it up, and check that alley every time you come back to that town. It regenerates on some timer no one has figured out just yet. I have gotten at least five of them from there, and am honestly not sure whether or not this is a glitch.

how do i actually open the door to lead to this

edit: oh, lockpicks are items ok

another q: how do i know what each status effect does?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 9, 2023

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I got myself a boat and went sailing on the sea to find the guy who stole the triangular key who was supposedly hiding on an island somewhere.

Found a guy on an island who was not in fact the thief but instead dumped a whole bunch of capital-p Plot on me. Like randomly coming across Nasrudin in Arcanum. I wonder if there was meant to be some signposting putting me on the guy's trail?

edit: Also fun tip, the Burrowing Shot ability is basically infinite ammo. Any enemy you shoot with arrows will drop those arrows on death (mostly) so if you hit multiple targets with the same attack, they all drop arrows even though you only fired one.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 10, 2023

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Henges: I got a couple of them working. Pretty cool to have a lore-based fast travel feature with a bit of mechanism in how it's used.

As for general play, I'm getting to the point where I'm not just wandering around and getting my bearings and instead focusing on completing quests and solving mysteries.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Has anyone managed to get into The Jest in Harrowdus?

I've found what I think is the entrance a hidden door in the bedroom of the grocer to the right of the town entrance which leads to a twisty mini-maze and I'm positive I've decoded the riddle 'death has dominion over all' but I've tried yelling that out in various spots and nothing's happening.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Anyone tried this on deck? I know it may seem foolhardy but I have a toddler so I need to be able to RPG while sprinting around the house.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Shyrka posted:

Has anyone managed to get into The Jest in Harrowdus?

I've found what I think is the entrance a hidden door in the bedroom of the grocer to the right of the town entrance which leads to a twisty mini-maze and I'm positive I've decoded the riddle 'death has dominion over all' but I've tried yelling that out in various spots and nothing's happening.

I got stuck here for a bit too. A hint is that there is more to investigate in that maze. Check the southeast.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Nickoten posted:

I got stuck here for a bit too. A hint is that there is more to investigate in that maze. Check the southeast.

I really should've just bumped every wall or ran around there with revelation active, that did it thanks!

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

doomfunk posted:

Anyone tried this on deck? I know it may seem foolhardy but I have a toddler so I need to be able to RPG while sprinting around the house.

There's a community layout that works a treat. conversations need the virtual keyboard but otherwise it's silky smooth on deck, if anyone else was wondering.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I've been playing this a lot more than other stuff recently, beating up stuff for fun and profit and delving into dungeons and places I deffo should not be and just recently got myself a ship! I also tried out something I *probably* should not have and uhhhh....

:dogstare:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've been playing this for a few days and I just adore it. Never could I have imagined I would get to play a new Ultima-like game again. It really, really feels like one of those games, down to the very non linear style of gameplay. The fact that it's free is just incredible.

Node fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 13, 2023

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

if you happen to know a spell called Betrayal probably don't cast it in town. oops!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Man gently caress the Tower of Veils.

After several attempts I finally got as far as floor 6, quit in frustration as I kept getting set on fire and was running out of water and health potions and seemed to be dead ended anyway. Came back later more energised to try again, and found a dropped scroll with the last part of the dampen spell.

I cast it expecting just to douse myself instead it turned every wall on the floor into a puddle of water, completely neutering the fire threat and showing me where the hidden doors I needed were because they were the only ones not to turn into water.

Well on the way to victory then, the game crashed. But it's cool, I had that recent save remember? Nope, game reloaded me on the world map outside the tower.

In frustration I cheated myself to the top of the tower just to get it done with, but the game now crashes during the boss fight every time, and it's not exactly an easy fight I can quickly damage race up with the gimmick it uses.

I guess I'll just go try the Necropolis instead, hope this poo poo gets patched by the time I come back, but man it's disheartening.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Yeah my run ended early, too. After the October 7th patch, I could no longer refill my food meter by sleeping at inns. I didn't have the patience to scrounge for food constantly, so I'm waiting on the next patch.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

fwiw the dev is really responsive, so if you have bug reports or gameplay complaints (dunjon), they will listen if you post em on steam

Starbridge64
Jun 5, 2013
Binged on this game for a few days, and got the first ending. Do like that the twist is that the "gods" are actually eldritch beings, feeding on the fear and worship from the masses of your world.They will periodically replace their "vessel" who is the Archon, the replacement is unfortunately you if you don't listen to the hermit living on a secluded island. Going for the second ending later.

There are some bugs here and there, and got a crash once when fighting one of the bosses, thankfully didn't happen again when I tried it the second time. Granted I went to do the other boss fights needed to collect the important macguffins.

Really enjoying this little game and was surprised it's free. The setting is cool too in how the people follow the moons or deities, and exploring the world to search the ruins for treasure and lore from the past.

The puzzles and riddles are nice as well to help get that brain working, even if I suck at those.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nickoten posted:

Yeah my run ended early, too. After the October 7th patch, I could no longer refill my food meter by sleeping at inns. I didn't have the patience to scrounge for food constantly, so I'm waiting on the next patch.

You can buy food at grocers, it's so cheap that it's inconsequential.

I just beat the game and got the 'good' ending. Overall I'm extremely pleased with it, my biggest complaint is the fire debuff. There's too much loving fire in the game, it spills onto one tile walkways way too much, and does like 250 damage. I never found an amulet that warded flame, so the later dungeons were absolutely miserable. It made them take way, way longer than they should have. And just hope you don't manage to lose to a relic guardian and have to do 6+ levels full of fire again.

The very excellent responsiveness, speed, and snappy UI is going to make going back to clunky Ultima 4 extremely difficult.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

More that I don't want to constantly buy and use food. It's effectively free; just it would significantly increase the amount of time I spend on something that is, as you said, basically inconsequential.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

really struggling when there are clues like with the ship deed finding exactly where people want me to go. found the villager who made it who is sending me to find the click-clack gang in the "marshes", and then its a loong search through a really tedious area. i dont need modern quest markers, but maybe a little more info sometimes would be nice

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Verviticus posted:

really struggling when there are clues like with the ship deed finding exactly where people want me to go. found the villager who made it who is sending me to find the click-clack gang in the "marshes", and then its a loong search through a really tedious area. i dont need modern quest markers, but maybe a little more info sometimes would be nice

It's on the west coast of the marshes.

Alternately you can just murder the guy selling ship deeds in Moon-on-Thoss and get a legit one.

Also you're really gonna loving hate finding the true names of the gods holy poo poo I was tearing my hair out over that one.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Nickoten posted:

If anyone else has encountered this, according to the Steam forums it's a known issue and you can get around it by sleeping directly in the bed rather than talking to the NPC. I haven't tried it yet myself but plan to soon.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Shyrka posted:

It's on the west coast of the marshes.

Alternately you can just murder the guy selling ship deeds in Moon-on-Thoss and get a legit one.

Also you're really gonna loving hate finding the true names of the gods holy poo poo I was tearing my hair out over that one.

do people respawn in towns if you take em out

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Can someone give me a hint about the party you get invited to in Harrowdus? It says it's in a forest to the northwest and I've checked forests so far out at this point that I'm sure I'm overshooting it.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
This game is absolutely my jam - I really love that it's a fantasy RPG which actually credits the player's ability to figure things out for themselves. For all that I'm buying swords, fighting monsters, and exploring dungeons the atmosphere of the world is unnerving and alien and mysterious - partly down to the pixel art, partly down to the terse dialogue, partly down to the fact that the writers are really good at hinting at lore without smashing you in the face with it. I also really love that levelling up isn't a question of murdering things until you become stronger (ok except for the one god devotional quest that is literally "murder 200 things") but of interacting with the world and engaging with the game mechanics.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nickoten posted:

the dungeons are randomly generated and do not allow saving. Once you step into a major dungeon you’ll need to complete all of it without dying, or you’ll lose everything you’ve found on that run. The smaller dungeons do let you exit early with your loot, at least.

How long roughly do dungeons take to complete? Are we talking coffee break/lunch break or dedicate an evening to them kinda thing?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Danger - Octopus! posted:

How long roughly do dungeons take to complete? Are we talking coffee break/lunch break or dedicate an evening to them kinda thing?

The major dungeons took me something like 1-3 hours each because of the god drat fire. You're waiting for fire to burn out in front of you, or fade off you, you're healing yourself because of it, you're using gifts (spells) to remove part of it. I spent more time waiting around because of fire than I did actually exploring the dungeon. It sucks. Worst part of the game for me, easily.

Minor dungeons are only one floor and most of them don't have fire, they take about 10 minutes.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

if you have bottles of water or the winter amulet you can just mostly ignore the lava, tbh. but before these they take a lot longer.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Is there any way of obtaining bottles of water? I have dozens of empty bottles and I'm beside a pool but I cannot fill them??

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

DoubleCakes posted:

Is there any way of obtaining bottles of water? I have dozens of empty bottles and I'm beside a pool but I cannot fill them??

water is actually a type of potion that you can brew if you have the right herb

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Brandon Proust posted:

water is actually a type of potion that you can brew if you have the right herb

sounds thread titleish

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

tbh I don't know how I'd live if I wasn't down with the crimson moon. I'm gashing everything these days

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Patch came out the other day that fixed those Tower of Veils crashes so finally finished it, got ending 2.

26 hours is some pretty loving good value for money.

That said I did get pretty frustrated/bored doing both Tower of Veils and then Tether Dungeon in quick succession, and wound up console commanding heals to get rid of fire, and after dying to the Tether Dungeon's boss I just skipped back down to the bottom rather than replaying it, kind of just wanted it to be over at that point.

I never actually got any spells - one time I got all the parts of the Dampen spell but that was on a Tower of Veils runthrough that crashed and the spell components never spawned in on any subsequent runs. Pretty disappointing since seeing what Dampen did I really would've wanted to see the others.

Also the game economy is kind of hosed. At the very start when I was hitting up every town I saw all kinds of cool poo poo in the shops, but merchants are constantly spawning on the map and getting killed by monsters when you're nowhere around which reduces town prosperity and reduces the stock in shops. By the time I actually had money I never saw any of those cool magic cloaks again. Could've really used one of the anti-fire ones too.

Main plot spoilers I kind of wish there'd been some form of dialogue with the Gods before you banish them. Some way for them to present their case or try to sway you. I mean, I liked summoning that wolf from the wolf god, he seems kind of cool just for that! For that matter them taking away all their blessings before you fight the Tether would've made some kind of sense.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I believe if you use the sign at the front of a town to boost its economy you will see those cool items again, but I haven't tried it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Nickoten posted:

I believe if you use the sign at the front of a town to boost its economy you will see those cool items again, but I haven't tried it myself.

I actually did try it, but the amount of money needed was impractical. I suppose I could have went around every shop selling all of my orbs of whatever to build up cash but I didn't want to, so I just cheated the money and even then I didn't actually see any difference in the shop inventory. Maybe it takes time to update but by the point I was just console commanding stuff to hurry through to the end I wasn't inclined to wait.

Would've console commanded myself one of those anti-fire cloaks or amulets if I knew the item name.