Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:catstare:

Just kill yourself, jesus.

Do they teach pilots hand-to-hand?

fedex does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Saukkis posted:

So how does that work? Do you log the whole week the shuttle is on orbit? Or do you log only the times you maneuver, rest of the time gravity is doing all the work.

Similarly with airliners, do you log the time you are sleeping in the berth?

all of it, as glider hours

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

as did you. did you know that a norovirus infection can be transmitted with as little as *three individual viruses*? there is a famous case from new york where an infected person dining at a restaurant vomited at her table -- aerosolizing the virus -- and within a week 75% of the other people who were at the restaurant that night were sick. that's all it takes, just breathing the air in the same room :shepface:

on that note has anyone ever had a, uh, bathroom emergency in the cockpit? i have peed in a bottle but that's it

A classic of modern literature:

https://www.theautopian.com/how-i-got-my-navy-callsign-by-making GBS threads-myself-in-an-f-a-18-fighter-jet-twice/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

it's even funnier that excluding 9/11 would've only dropped the figure from 99.8% to 99.5%, just a completely unnecessary own goal

if they were serious they could've just screnshotted the 3701 transcript

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 6, 2024

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I spilled several gallons of LL100 on my head about 15 years ago am I doomed to become a boomer

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rolo posted:

Did my first WATRS run at night yesterday, PR to Philly.

Pretty humbling being out there in the pitch black.

Hadn't heard that acronym before and discovered some serious Graphic design is my passion

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/2022-03/WATRS.pdf

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

somebody give that tail a thin blue line sticker, undercarriage LEDs and a squat suspension

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rolo posted:

Fastest update ever, the entire CLT area is out of hangar space until the end of time.

Check into Rockingham, and if nothing there Cheraw and Pageland. Bit of a drive but nowhere near as bad as it used to be with that sweet sweet monroe toll bypass operational now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

epswing posted:

Hello, thread! Sometime last year I casually started reading through the previous thread and got through more than 60 pages before this thread was started. I've also read a bunch of Admiral Cloudberg's work, I really enjoy the long-form articles that take their time with the details.

As someone in the software development world, the aviation industry is fascinating to me, in particular the lengths the NTSB and other similar organizations will go to find and fix potential issues. I think there's a lot other industries can learn from how aviation carries itself.

Anyways, questions:

What are the requirements/credentials a person needs to become an NTSB investigator?

And I know this is a stupid question, but I'm interested in the discussion:

Why don't pilots have access to parachutes? The first obvious answer that comes to mind is you don't really want the pilots of an airliner to jump ship at the first sign of trouble. But in some cases, like a cargo plane with no passengers flying over unpopulated land or sea, if there's some catastrophic event that dooms the aircraft, it appears the pilots are forced to go down with the ship. In flight school are there any topics that discuss this?

because you'd have to depressurize the cabin to open the door and then you'd pass out and die before you opened the door