Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I doubt the Packers dump love unless they get a top pick and can gamble on the top prospects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the Panthers don’t even have a first round pick. There is zero reason not to try Young out another year and hope he can be fixed. If he’s still bad by year three you can safely move on

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean by more charitable you mean Homer then sure you can extrapolate till he’s basically Tom Brady if you so chose

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like people are overhyping Purdy hard which is silly. He’s fine he’s doing good in a good situation. As a fan of the team you should be content with that as that is very very hard to get

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean next week will be the big test. If he can’t carve up a Packers D that has stopped trying what hope is left

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This is the year a non QB should win but I think that time has passed no matter the numbers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I’m glad we are back to caring about QB rating

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Black Sunshine posted:

Earlier this season everyone was saying how lovely Love was, the NFL is weird.

People love to jump to conclusions. As fans are by their nature reactionary.

Like if Bryce does use him stunting on the Packers D as a turning point no one will remember how much people poo poo on him this year

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

xbilkis posted:

Counterpoint: When he played the Green Bay Packers

Counter counter point so did that Italian dude that got benched a week later

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Intruder posted:

Mahomes would dissect the Texans sorry rear end secondary

Flacco might too but Mahomes definitely would

Mahomes struggled against a pretty bad Packers secondary you would be fine

Though this year like 75% of defenses suck anyway

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I disagree even the good defenses will have multiple games where they get lit up for 30+

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There is zero reason to cut Bryce young unless you are desperate to get six win with Minishew

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fans are not rational when it comes to QBs. They would much rather a guy they know is bad rather than a rookie who is bad but could improve.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

zimbomonkey posted:

who cares what it looks like? if you think he's cooked you trade him, if you think he's good you keep him. that last paragraph is a hair away from a sunk cost fallacy. his skill is not determined by what we gave up for him and the value of keeping him is not affected by what others will think if we let him go. If someone else wants to make that mistake, let them.

It’s not sunk cost if you have no option.

In fact doing it without a better option is just stupidity

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean if he’s an all time bust he won’t survive past next year

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t think he could turn it around maybe is optimistic.

I think the more optimistic take is you should move on from Young and sign some journeyman and then everything will be fine

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

fsif posted:

Man what on earth? How are you contorting "Matthew Stafford's 2009 stat line looks worse by 2023 standards" to "Drew Brees would pass for 6000 yards today?"

I feel like you just made a weird contrarian post without thinking too much about it and now you're tripling down in an incredibly esoteric way.

Your being unfair his point is that the entire argument is 2009 was harder. It really isn’t if it was easier then Brees could throw for 6k

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

fsif posted:

I made the original argument! I said you can't pass off 2023 stats as comparable to 2009 stats. I didn't think that was controversial.

Well why not? If they aren’t easier or harder then the stats should be fine to compare

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Master Stur posted:

How many of those latter rounds are intended to be starters/franchise and not just backups or taking fliers on a long shot though? I'm not wholly disagreeing that drafting earlier helps your odds as the trend does exist, but I am disagreeing that its such a strong correlation it should factor into the offseason decisions for the Panthers. IMO it just feels like a self-filling prophecy here - QB needy teams are gonna draft their guy with their first pick or trade up to do so, so naturally most QBs intended to be franchise qbs get drafted in the 1st, so the odds get skewed to say "most franchise qbs are first rounders". Some team is gonna talk themselves into three 1sts for Trey Lance or take a ZW and we're all sitting here confused why random QBs go from a 3rd round evaluation to a 1st.

If I'm the Panthers and offered a flier pick for Bryce I just take it. Start Dalton next year or sign someone else. Go best WR possible in the 2nd round and take some QB in the 3rd. We're all here saying the 24 season is a punt for them anyways so why not roll the dice?

Roll the dice with a 3rd rounder has much much much less a chance of succeeding than rolling the dice sigh young for one final time

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Master Stur posted:

1% chance on the 3rd rounder > 0% chance Bryce puts on 40lbs and grows another 4". Browning was a UDFA and played lights out compared to Bryce. So many backup or off-the-couch QBs came in this year and played better than Bryce including Dalton on his own team so I just can't really get on board with the notion that the Panthers are better off with him next year. Unless they want to tank again for a proper 1st rd pick.

I means he’s going to be bad regardless because the panthers are not a well constructed team. They are a bad team.

It’s not a coincidence that players like Purdy and Love are doing great because the situation they were in a really good.

Even stroud has a pretty well constructed offense that has helped him along

I know it is hard to admit but coaching does matter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kirios posted:

That’s a little revisionist history - the Texans WR core was seen as bad if not worse than the Panthers’ going into the year. No one even knew who Nico Collins really was.

Stroud elevated that group (And had immediate rapport with Tank Dell).

What y’all are saying about Bryce Young? About how the Panthers were setting him up to fail? The same exact things were said about the Texans and Stroud.

I mean they weren’t setting him up to fail. All high pick QBs are set up to fail because they go to teams that are you know bad.

Also it isn’t revisionist because I’m not saying we knew the Texans were going to be good offensively, but they were and we can see why because the season is over

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean it doesn’t matter what you intended unless you got a time machine

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t think you know what revisionist means. No one is saying he was guarenteed to succeed and everyone knew it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

Stroud played against an actual defense though. Love got to carve up Mr. 28-3 with the most predictable offensive scheme imaginable. Don't get me wrong, a Texans Packers Superbowl this year would own and be really exciting, but CJ Stroud is looking like a top 5 if not top 4 qb in his freaking rookie year

No he didn’t. The browns D is horrifically bad if they can’t get pressure.

They got carved up by the Colts of all teams

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

they're literally the best defense in the NFL, at one point they were outpacing the 2000 Ravens defense

And the boys were sixth. How did that work out for them

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Lmao what’s your point here? The browns defense is good, however much you want to hand wave it away.

So you agree that the cowboys defense is also good then making the original comparison pointless

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Just because the cowboys defense was good doesn’t mean that the cowboys defense was anywhere close to as good as the historically excellent Browns D.

The browns defense was significantly better than the cowboys defense this season.

Ordinal ranking does not inherently imply equivalent linear spacing. You buffoon!!!

That wasn’t what I was saying. I was saying comparing them as if one being better actually matters when it doesn’t

But this is irrelevant as the Browns Defense was really bad no matter how many useless numbers you post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Coldforge posted:

I'm not looking to reopen the argument about Purdy, but I am curious as to why you don't include the Packers or Rams in this? Brevity, or because you believe they're different?

I mean for the Packers it’s less the scheme and more Tom Clement is insanely good at developing QBs, but is getting up there