Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Russell Wilson Ranks (of 33 qualifying qbs per PFR):
  • TD%: 2nd best
  • INT%: 8th
  • Completion %: 17th
  • Yards per Attempt: 10th

Huh. He's not great but his stats are a lot better than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AndrewP posted:

Hoooooo boy, so far this thread is (in my opinion) severely underrating Trevor Lawrence who is far and away the best on this list followed by Purdy and Stroud

It's Lawrence 1a and Stroud 1b... for NOW.

Stroud is so fr34king accurate with his touch :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

That’s insane. No he isn’t. Leaving aside how much I like to say Trevor bust just look at the stats man. Purdy is blowing everyone out of the water

If you look at just stats Jimmy G looks like one of the best quarterbacks to ever play.

Supporting context is important to consider.

Purdy has incredible supporting talent on both sides of the ball and one of the very best offensive coaches in football. No poo poo he’s producing.

If you out Lawrence in that situation then he does better than Purdy.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

fsif posted:

I mean just compare Jimmy to Purdy then. Purdy—as a rookie and second-year player—is dramatically outperforming Garoppolo. Higher completion percentage, higher Y/A, higher TD%, lower INT%, lower sack %, etc etc.

And hey, Lance couldn't produce in this offense. I don't think things are quite as plug and play as you're making it out to be.

I don’t think it’s literally plug and play but I think it is about as plug and play as could plausibly exist for the nfl. It’s just a terrific situation for a qb.

I agree Purdy is probably better than Jimmy G.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

sure okay posted:

*Al Michaelsishly* "Chubba Purdy"

Two chAINz

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Stroud supremacy

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Texans OL is injured, could explain the drop in running production.

Also, Stroud is loving awesome. Obviously surrounding coaches and context matter but it’s also possible that Stroud is just better than Young. Because he is. It was absolute madness that Stroud wasn’t the first qb taken. So maybe hiring the qb coach or OC from Houston helps Bryce (almost certainly because Carolina’s situation is shot), but it doesn’t guarantee that Bryce will suddenly turn into Stroud.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 7, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

When is Ross posting the updated qb rankings?

Stroud better be top ten!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bryce bad

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Not since the 1940s have Carolinans felt this much hatred for a Reich.

He must be stopped.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What’s up with Levis

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Caleb Williams ducking rules what do you not like about him? To dislike Caleb is quackery!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

Here's my 100% reliable scouting report on roklokie QBs: whoever the bears pick will suck rear end.

No. Not this prospect.

This is finally the time for da bears to thrive

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost, where are you, make a draft thread pls

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I dont like the looks of any of the QBs coming out this year, feels like. Chicago is talking themselves into another bust. I think they should look to find a trade partner.

Caleb Williams is great and the haters will rue the day they doubted him!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

StupidSexyMothman posted:

https://twitter.com/austingayle_/status/1726696389621785022
Bryce legit twice as bad as Urban Trevor and somehow even worse than Wilson

Meanwhile look how happy stroud is :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

Rosen would be much worse, but like he's the only one worse. The worst QBs to enter the league since 2018 on a EPA per play basis, two of them being undrafted...

Zach Wilson (-0.162)
David Blough (-0.183)
Brett Rypien (-0.184)
Bryce Young (-0.190)
Josh Rosen (-0.314)

What the gently caress Rosen

Like seriously what the gently caress

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Amy Pole Her posted:

He looked really really bad against the saints. I’m ready officially leave the “Bryce can absolutely still be a franchise qb” bandwagon I helped pioneer

I won’t jump on the bust bandwagon but he’s got a lot of work to do

If he’s not a franchise qb then he’s a bust.

Has any other qb in recent history been this bad then became good?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

i think it's gonna be extra valuable to retain WRs when it comes to levis. he leaves a couple of completion percentage points on the table solely from strange throws that are unusual to catch in terms of approach angle, timing of the throw, and velocity. keep guys he likes who become very familiar with it all

Billy Jeans needs fast wr and jump wr to haul in them big throws

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mllaneza posted:

Which turned out to be a coaching issue. As soon as he was playing for a competent, let alone good coach he was a very good QB. His stats and win/loss rate speak for themselves.

Brock was concussed at some point in the Vikings game and was only cleared to play against the Bengals the day before the game. Based on how he performed against the Bengals, he was cleared too soon. The heart of what makes Purdy special is decision making and timing, he was obviously not at 100% in that game.

If Purdy wins MVP, it's definitely an MVQB situation. He deserves that award by the numbers and win-rate when things are fully in his hands. CMC has improved the 49ers' scoring average by a TD per game since he came to SF. Mitchell and Mason are very good RBs who would be starting on a lot of teams, but we wouldn't be scoring the way we do without CMC.

tl;dr Give it to CMC, but I won't bitch if Purdy gets it. Any way you slice it, the MVP this year is wearing red and gold.

Someone on the ringer podcast pulled the stats and if you only included Purdy’s passes that were at or behind the line of scrimmage he’s a top 5 qb in basically every category. That’s not praise for Purdy, that’s damning evidence. Last week he dumped a check down and it went 50 yards YAC!!!

Purdy is absolutely in the best scheme on an incredibly stacked roster. He does not deserve the MVP. The success of the 49ers is not due to his greatness. The success of the 49ers is due to everything around Purdy, who is just a competent quarterback that can throw it deep (unlike early Jimmy G).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Coldforge posted:

Not to mention it’s Pat Mahomes who leads the NFL in benefiting from YAC this year. I can’t believe what an amazing offense The Chiefs have this year and how overrated Mahomes is, etc lazy argument etc

Mahomes is 2nd in attempts and Purdy is 24th.
  • Mahomes has the second highest YAC/completion, at 6.1.
  • Purdy has the first highest YAC/completion, at 6.9.
  • The YAC/completion gap between 1st Purdy and 2nd Mahomes is as big as the gap between 2nd Mahomes and 12th Justin Herbert.

Purdy benefits from YAC more than any QB in the league and it’s not close.

Purdy is a good QB but his excellent production is because he’s on a stacked roster with the best offensive coach in the league. He should not be MVP.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Coldforge posted:

I believe your chosen statistic is largely meaningless, and your conclusion is incorrect. The 49ers’ offense benefits more from YAC than other teams offenses do, but that doesn’t reflect negatively on Purdy, because Purdy is also 2nd in Air Yards per completion. This is why his percentage of YAC isn’t outrageously high. He’s not just drinking and dunking, he’s making tough throws to get the ball to that stacked roster in position to get all those yards after the catch.

The offensive scheme and targets help provide a lot of YAC.

Brock Purdy is making good, challenging throws with excellent placement to get the ball to those targets.

Both of these things are true, and the one does not detract from the other.

Purdy is 2nd in Air Yards / Completion but he’s 11th in Intended Air Yards / Completion. The stats suggest he is generally taking shorter passes but on occasion takes advantage of when play design and talent provide huge air-yard down-the-field openings.

Purdy is also middle of the road on advanced accuracy stats (like bad throw %), which is further evidence that the deep throws are just… a normal qb in an extraordinary situation.

Again that’s not saying Purdy is bad, but it’s further evidence that he’s not an MVP player making incredible plays. He’s just working the machine that Shanahan built.

Purdy’s receivers/tight ends are also hilariously better at catching than other teams. Purdy/SF leads the league in lowest drop rate at an unbelievable 2.0%. 2nd place is 3.5%. League median is around 4.7%. The gap between first place (Purdy) and second place is bigger than the gap between second and twenty-first.

He’s a fine QB but he ain’t an MVP caliber QB.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Parallax posted:

the only way to know if Purdy is elite or not is for 49ers to jettison all their offensive talent so they should do that as soon as possible

It makes sense. This is good scientific process.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Honest question: Have you watched any of his film? You're talking a lot about his stats but looking at the film is equally important. You have brought up his receivers having a lot of YAC and not a lot of drops like that means its a bad thing for Purdy when if you look at the same offense with the same players, as mentioned above, there were more drops and less YAC. Therefore seeing how/where Purdy throws his passes by watching film, I think the low drop % and high YAC numbers show how good he is; he has AMAZING anticipation, excellent touch, and impeccable placement which means it is easier for his (good) WRs and TE to catch (low drop rate) then run after they catch (good placement so they can run after making the catch).

I'm not trying to argue that your last line is wrong, but I have questions about how to came to that conclusion.

I’m a fan of an NFC West team and I also think Shanahan is an incredible coach who I love to watch. So yes, I have seen many niners games this season.

I have questions about how anyone who watched the niners this year could not think Purdy has about the best context possible for a qb. Shanahan is spectacular.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MrLogan posted:

Niners fell apart when Trent Williams was out. Trent Williams is the best player on that team.

Trent Williams is powerful beyond measure, a modern day Goku

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CJ Stroud

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fwiw it seems like Trevor is playing injured

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AndrewP posted:

People act as if other MVPs weren’t helped by their scheme or talent. 2018 Mahomes was playing with prime Hill, Kelce with Andy Reid calling plays and defenses not having any idea how to slow them yet. Give it to Purdy.

Yes, the other mvps were helped by scheme and talent.

Nobody was helped as much as Purdy.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CMC is Goku

Give him MVP

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Let the cube-headed SF qb, Mr. Darnold, play a game and give Purdy a lil break.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

As we’ve discussed before, make a “best player at X” award. Qb, rb, wr, OL, dl, etc.

But also add a “pluckiest player”award and give it to lil’ Bryce :buddy:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

darkforce898 posted:

There is a good possibility that Darnold plays week 18 so you all can see what a night and day difference it has been this year.

Is Shanny gonna play CMC in week 18?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

zimbomonkey posted:

The "Aw Shucks, Look At Him Go" Award presented by Purina Puppy Chow.

Adorable, co-signed

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s got that baby dog in ‘im.

Lmao

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

https://x.com/benbbaldwin/status/1737915640197808278?s=46&t=2HFO6SZKjNqr-CFyNaA8pQ

Lil’ Bryce, big Andey

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Also - lol^2

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol at the Tyson Bagent Truthers

The gap between Bryce and Andy is bigger than the gap between Herbie and Stick.

That’s… that’s just wild

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

MrLogan posted:

Trent Williams?

I love Trent Williams and I want the world to know it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Love had a starting grade of “unknown” and then public opinion has rollercoastered between good and bad. Where will consensus be at the end of the season? Who can say?

One thing we all agree on; Love is better than Bryce Youngz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

If you are Pittsburgh or Atlanta, do you prefer:
  • Murray for two seconds, or
  • Fields for a second, a third, and a fourth?