Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

agreed. last weeks episode was too gross for me, happy know they're capable of telling some sweeter stories like this one

i was kind of waffling on this after last week yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Nate RFB posted:

Creature...

I'd say Hakari should get some self-respect but her self-esteem is clearly already plenty high

lol Hakari brain is now in rot status

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hakari's definitely closer to the "completely insane" side of the 100 girlfriends spectrum than she would like to admit.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
is book girl just gonna use that one book to speak forever

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yes. Apparently it contains every phrase she could ever possibly need.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, thinking about it a bit more and completely disregarding Rentaro for a bit, the God of Love REALLY owes an explanation to every single one of those 100 girlfriends for why they have to share their sole soulmate with 99 other girls.

As a note, there's a thing in the fandom about debating which of the girlfriends have more than one soulmate. Hakari and Karane are pretty high up there, but there are a couple of others down the line too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Didn't they say that everyone normally only has one? Just because you like each other and kiss on the lips doesn't mean you're also soulmates.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
"Normally", like anything is normal in this show

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
In Hakari and Karane's case, it's based on their meeting Rentaro simultaneously, the idea being they established a soulmate connection with each other as well as Rentaro.

Also, the creators love putting in gags about how Hakari associates Karane with being her true love. Yeah, it may be a bit, but it's the kind of bit where you strongly suspect they're serious.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, thinking about it a bit more and completely disregarding Rentaro for a bit, the God of Love REALLY owes an explanation to every single one of those 100 girlfriends for why they have to share their sole soulmate with 99 other girls.

It was Castle in the Sky they'll understand

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dunno if I'll stick with the show version, but it's interesting as a manga reader seeing this comparatively sober early material again.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'd say the voice acting and the added visuals of what the story in the book actually looks like help elevate the show version of this arc above the manga for me. Or maybe I'm just in a sentimental mood lately.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

narm00 posted:

In Hakari and Karane's case, it's based on their meeting Rentaro simultaneously, the idea being they established a soulmate connection with each other as well as Rentaro.

Also, the creators love putting in gags about how Hakari associates Karane with being her true love. Yeah, it may be a bit, but it's the kind of bit where you strongly suspect they're serious.
IMO it's pretty earnest

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, I am all for their burgeoning love, but that doesn't mean they're soulmates.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they may just like each other due to shared experience of being jerked around by rentarou and his soulmate nonsense. I mean they did share a kiss.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hakari is best girl for now. I will not tolerate questions

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Not sure what kind of jokes book girl will bring once it switches to comedy again.

Right now she’s the bottom one atm.
Hakari is winning in kisses, tsundere just seems to try to copy whatever she does

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Clarste posted:

I mean, I am all for their burgeoning love, but that doesn't mean they're soulmates.

Counterpoint:
spoiler for manga chapter around 14ish

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think people have this weird idea that people can only ever date or kiss their soulmates, which is just not how the setting works as presented.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Clarste posted:

I think people have this weird idea that people can only ever date or kiss their soulmates, which is just not how the setting works as presented.

The repeated implication seems to be that they are also soulmates with each other.

Also hakari's mother has two soulmates

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 25, 2023

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wouldn't post that especially unmarked in a thread for the anime

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Let's go lesbians!!!!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

Also hakari's mother has two soulmates

They don't actually say that in the manga (at least up to where I've read, which is well past the point where it might come up). This is precisely what I mean by people making weird assumptions that it is only possible to fall in love with soulmates. Not every romance is a soulmate!

Edit: They aren't "less real" because of that either.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 25, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I don't get the if you don't end with your soulmate, you die bit.

Cause I'm sure there's tons of people that never meet their soulmates and that's just that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Cause I'm sure there's tons of people that never meet their soulmates and that's just that.

and they all have died or will eventually die...makes you think...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

GateOfD posted:

Not everybody has a soulmate, but if you do have one, that relationship uses up the entire span of luck, joy, and happiness that Heaven has allotted you. So if you never actually get together, you're doomed to a life without any of those things and will quickly die.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think it's heavily implied that you will eventually meet your soulmate. It may take 40 years but if they're out there you will eventually meet and fall in love. If you don't follow through that's when you die.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The correct answer is don't think about it. The god of love certainly wasn't.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I've been reading the manga and everytime I think it can't get more absurdist or meta or fourth wall breaking it surpasses my expectations and makes me laugh.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What if we overanalyse the premise some more?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Namtab posted:

Let's all watch Castle in the Sky to truly understand God's mistake.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Namtab posted:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

lmao

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I started reading the comic and I'm already 30 some chapters in. This should, by all rights, not work and yet it absolutely does.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 29, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Don't worry.

It goes much, much farther into "How on earth does this work" territory, while still working.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is more efficient to post twice

lol at them making the finger scene lewder than it is in the comic

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i love nano. i was worried she might be kind of boring but like all of the jokes landed for me (especially when she cheats because it's more efficient)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Call me Rentaro because I think every girlfriend is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

another great ep, had an lol at the the teacup ride CGI. Nano is a treat