Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nano knows what she wants and how to get it. This direct approach puts her ahead of the other girls who are various shades of shy and/or crazy. This has its downsides, as demonstrated in this week's episode, the direct approach can cause problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Anyway actually great episode, they managed to fit in little character arcs for everyone while also doing fully right by all the necessary pool episode tropes and highlights

the blessing and curse of this series is that no matter how ludicrous the girlfriend count gets every single one somehow remains relevant

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Yinlock posted:

the blessing and curse of this series is that no matter how ludicrous the girlfriend count gets every single one somehow remains relevant

It helps this is a series without any real overarching plot, or any need for a core group; they can just pull in whoever they need for this week's story and they're sorted. They don't even need Rentaro for some stories; the girls are more than capable of carrying things on their own. (That's not saying he's unnecessary, just that he's not the center of everything.) Not anywhere close to that point in the anime, though.

A side-effect of the girls staying relevant has been that as the count's gone up, the time between girlfriends has too - right now, at 26, we're at one new girlfriend per volume, which means there'll likely be one more before the year's out.

gently caress knows what things are going to look like once we hit the 50s, let alone the 90s.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I fear that the cowardly publisher dogs or weak Japanese government may eventually stop this visionary before he can fully form all 100

They fear his power

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
They're gonna need to build risers on the school roof for when he introduces his new love to his 90+ existing girlfriends.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mirage posted:

They're gonna need to build risers on the school roof for when he introduces his new love to his 90+ existing girlfriends.

The 100 Girlfriends who really really really really overwhelm the load bearing capacity of the school structure.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Gonna Call it. 50 - 100 are part of a Shipuden / Z style College based part 2.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

would have liked the episode to end with a repeat of the two girls kissing him in front of those guys.

only for all the girls to kiss him, and they all implode.

the 3 actually acted realistically to the premise lol

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

narm00 posted:

It helps this is a series without any real overarching plot, or any need for a core group; they can just pull in whoever they need for this week's story and they're sorted. They don't even need Rentaro for some stories; the girls are more than capable of carrying things on their own. (That's not saying he's unnecessary, just that he's not the center of everything.) Not anywhere close to that point in the anime, though.

A side-effect of the girls staying relevant has been that as the count's gone up, the time between girlfriends has too - right now, at 26, we're at one new girlfriend per volume, which means there'll likely be one more before the year's out.

gently caress knows what things are going to look like once we hit the 50s, let alone the 90s.

I made some charts as I was reading the manga:

I tried to do some basic calculation on how much longer it would take to get to 100 and it's like 6-7 years.

I'm guessing it might start to get multiples at once.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Gonna Call it. 50 - 100 are part of a Shipuden / Z style College based part 2.

It's always spring, time never progresses

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Spring is the springtime of our youth

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i feel like this image, without context, should be the adtrw background

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Seeing as how the manga's got a lot of spoilers, like all the future girlfriends, is it worth doing a separate thread?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For now I think it's fine, though if someone were to make one that'd obviously be fine. For me at least as much as I like the manga I never really felt to post about it regularly until there was an event big enough like the anime. Obviously people should just be like, cool about not spoiling who the actual future girlfriends are, and that'd be true whether there was a manga thread or not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm not sure how you could possibly spoil who's a future girlfriend, since everyone is. This is not a show that contains characters who are not part of the polycule.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Clarste posted:

I'm not sure how you could possibly spoil who's a future girlfriend, since everyone is. This is not a show that contains characters who are not part of the polycule.

Not Shizuka or Kusuri's moms!

... just Kusuri's Grandma.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Clarste posted:

Vice principal already exists!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Julias posted:

Vice principal already exists!

Are you SURE? What if she takes off her sunglasses and it's like "ZAP"

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Supremezero posted:

Are you SURE? What if she takes off her sunglasses and it's like "ZAP"

Do sunglasses stop the zap?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't know, do sunglasses break eye contact? I'd say at least some of them do and the Vice Principal's would count as one too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Would anyone actually want Our Bro to have deal with that mess of a vaugely human shaped monstrosity?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oh my, the rapid fire jokes starting in the beginning of this week's episode with science girl.

Kusuri is great. I'm picking her. Great Jerkyl and Hyde stuff with the potion and forms. Only both are great.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 19, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Dear god that hakari fantasy scene

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spookydonut posted:

Do sunglasses stop the zap?

yes, you need direct eye contact. No cross-eyed girlfriends either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Bpb_6Wx2A

vvvv we're talking sunglasses here. they do prevent direct eye contact vvvv

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 19, 2023

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

trucutru posted:

Glasses, as seen with Kusuri, are fine, but anything that prevents eye contact blocks it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

trucutru posted:

Cross-eyed girlfriends would work if they were upside down.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
hakari: horny
inya: tsundere
shizuka: books
nano: efficiency
kusuri: M E T H

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
She hasn't done meth yet!

And Shizuka is all about being a natural born small floof.

e: The descriptions in Wikipedia are for a different series

quote:

Karane has a typical tsundere personality, though not violent by any means.

Hakari ... is rather physical in her affection and can sometimes be perverted

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 20, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

fuckin meth lol

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

trucutru posted:

She hasn't done meth yet!

The one girlfriend who really, really, really, really, really wants to try meth

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I need some cultural background

In episode 2 they joke that they’re doing a ufo summoning ritual by holding hands in a circle

I remember in the first issue of the Lum manga (also in the first episode), the Lum fan club is trying to summon a ufo by holding hands in a circle and chanting on a roof. This was written back in 1978

Is there some in/joke about ufo cults in Japan that was still relevant enough to make 45 years later

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Steve Yun posted:

In episode 2 they joke that they’re doing a ufo summoning ritual by holding hands in a circle

I remember in the first issue of the Lum manga (also in the first episode), the Lum fan club is trying to summon a ufo by holding hands in a circle and chanting on a roof. This was written back in 1978

Is there some in/joke about ufo cults in Japan that was still relevant enough to make 45 years later

Maybe the Moonies?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aren't the feds labeling them a terrorist group or something after all the Abe stuff

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Moonies have nothing to do with aliens despite the name. The name fine from the Korean leader whose surname is "Moon"

Edit: the US feds? No. The Japanese government is looking to take away their religious exemption though

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 20, 2023

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

The manga loves to reference famous scenes from both old and newer mangas, that's it. Heidi, Astroboy, you name it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That makes sense, thanks

It’s a good reference because Urusei Yatsura was also about a guy who fell in love with every girl he met

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 20, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

The Japanese government is looking to take away their religious exemption though

That's what I was referring to, but that was unhelpfully ambiguous of me, granted

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
glad this show doesn't do any weird poo poo like have any of the girls be 8 years old

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No just has one who varies between short and bootylicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Surprised they got away with this episode, wonder what time slot this airs in