Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, thinking about it a bit more and completely disregarding Rentaro for a bit, the God of Love REALLY owes an explanation to every single one of those 100 girlfriends for why they have to share their sole soulmate with 99 other girls.

As a note, there's a thing in the fandom about debating which of the girlfriends have more than one soulmate. Hakari and Karane are pretty high up there, but there are a couple of others down the line too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
In Hakari and Karane's case, it's based on their meeting Rentaro simultaneously, the idea being they established a soulmate connection with each other as well as Rentaro.

Also, the creators love putting in gags about how Hakari associates Karane with being her true love. Yeah, it may be a bit, but it's the kind of bit where you strongly suspect they're serious.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Yinlock posted:

the blessing and curse of this series is that no matter how ludicrous the girlfriend count gets every single one somehow remains relevant

It helps this is a series without any real overarching plot, or any need for a core group; they can just pull in whoever they need for this week's story and they're sorted. They don't even need Rentaro for some stories; the girls are more than capable of carrying things on their own. (That's not saying he's unnecessary, just that he's not the center of everything.) Not anywhere close to that point in the anime, though.

A side-effect of the girls staying relevant has been that as the count's gone up, the time between girlfriends has too - right now, at 26, we're at one new girlfriend per volume, which means there'll likely be one more before the year's out.

gently caress knows what things are going to look like once we hit the 50s, let alone the 90s.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Seeing as how the manga's got a lot of spoilers, like all the future girlfriends, is it worth doing a separate thread?

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

trucutru posted:

yes, you need direct eye contact. No cross-eyed girlfriends either

Glasses, as seen with Kusuri, are fine, but anything that prevents eye contact blocks it.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Seraphic Neoman posted:

It amazes me how this show stays at 100 (:v:) but also feels more genuine despite the central conceit. Like I genuinely cannot recall another harem anime where the characters were this into each other.

Maybe because of the central conceit - or rather, because the creators took the concept sincerely.

I mean, yeah, it's a shitpost of a concept, that's kind of the point. What they've done with it is the interesting thing.

On the one hand, they've piled shitpost on shitpost on shitpost - started out with a shitpost concept, and then piled on with shitpost characters and shitpost stories, becoming something that's shitpost on every level no matter where you look, a shitpost fractal.

On the other hand, they treat all that stuff with sincerity - they're not ironic about it, they're not pretending it's not there, they're not expecting it to be treated utterly seriously, but they care about it. They know what they're doing is pure concentrated shitpost and they care about it.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

GateOfD posted:

Waiting for the manga artist gf and the martial arts gf
(Idk no else shows up, just naming archetypes)

Got two martial arts gfs in the manga, just not in the karate mold - kendo and capoeira.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

Also Is the manga being officially localized anywhere or do I have to resort to the high seas?

Seven Seas have the English license; they're currently up to volume 8.

(the fandom very much likes the scanlated version, it should be noted, particularly their spins on the girlfriends' verbal quirks.)

narm00 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 13, 2023

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
I mean, going by a quick run through Google, the ED's title is "I bought today's ending, so you can do whatever you want♡", which pretty much says it all, really.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
That is toned down for Hahari.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
According to the leaks (which are from the same leakers who revealed there'd be an anime, and are pretty reliable), it's supposed to be a split cour.

If the leak's right, then going by the Blu-rays, which list episode 12 as the final episode, they may do a second cour as a second season.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Going by rate of adaptation (this cour finishes just before the end of volume 3), a second cour would likely get us to volume 6, which means ending on Meme.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Could just be leaving out the final girlfriend. Not like she's someone to have in shadow like Hahari.

They'd be leaving out the final girlfriends - Meme is #11 and Naddy is #13, so two missing.

I'm sceptical they'd pace that quickly; they seem to be happy with 2 or 2.5 chapters an episode, and getting to Naddy would mean doing 3 chapters an episode the whole season - they'd end up losing stuff along the way.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

the manga keeps mentioning theres a light novel out but thats the only place i can find ANY reference to it

Translation's here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Mah boi has learned to not talk so he doesn't cover up things with speech bubbles

So proud of you

Specifically, he managed it for Chapter 163, where he keeps shtum to let us see the girls in gothic lolita outfits.