Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Note: idgaf if the manga is discussed here too even if this is primarily a thread for the anime, since there isn't a dedicated thread for the manga. Just please spoiler anything that either isn't in the anime so far or isn't right on the MAL page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIl-nFhkOlU

Wikipedia posted:

14-year-old Teru Momijiyama is Japan's hero representative, who goes by the hero name "Shy" as a result of her extreme shyness. After being chosen to serve her country, Teru is invited to make an appearance at an amusement park to give a public speech. However, her shyness ends up boring the audience to the point that she leaves the stage in embarrassment. More misfortune continues as she tries to save riders from a broken roller coaster, with one girl, Iko Koishikawa, suffering severe injuries in the process. The public blames Teru for failing to properly rescue Iko, which causes Teru to slip into a deep depression, lose her powers, and go into isolation for a month. Her closest friend, Russian hero Spirit, appears to her to give her encouragement and try to make her understand that she can't please everyone. With her friend's words in mind, Teru turns her attention to a burning building. She is able to muster up the courage to transform back into Shy and rush into the fire to save a woman and a child. After the series of incidents, Iko is later transferred to Teru's school to make things easier for herself due to her injury, as the school is closer to her home. She thanks her for saving her, and the two get to know each other and become friends.

Now, with renewed determination, while improving to become a better, more confident person and hero, and fighting alongside her hero colleagues from around the globe, she defends the world against Amarariruku (アマラリルク), an evil villainous organization that appeared soon after the world was at peace after the threat of world war ended. The group was created by Stigma, their leader, in order to further his dreams of an ideal world made just for children.

Produced by 8bit Studios (That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Blue Lock), Shy may come off initially as "awkward girl cringe comedy" but at least so far it sheds that by halfway through the first episode. It's still early on of course, but it seems instead to be focusing on Shy proving herself to herself rather than everyone around her, allowing the anime to explore her battling an unfolding evil without getting hung-up on her embarrassing herself. Very good stuff so far, with some particularly dark and stellar visuals when it comes to Stigma and Amarariruku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also first person to call it "Bocchi the Rock but superheroes" like my one friend has will be publicly beheaded

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
SHY is a Magical girl series with the theme being superheroes

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

symbolic posted:

also first person to call it "Bocchi the Rock but superheroes" like my one friend has will be publicly beheaded

What if I call it "My Hero Academia but good"?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bocchi the Rock but superheroes

It was a pleasure posting with you all

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Shinjobi posted:

godspeed

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

You didn't have to do this but I respect that you did. :patriot:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
SuperBocchi

My Bocchi Academia

BoSHY the Rock

Magical Lyrical Heroine Bocchi

Bocchi the Superheroine

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Futari Wa Bocchi Cure with Kukuri as mid season cure!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

please i beg of you

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

symbolic posted:

please i beg of you

I feel you brought this on yourself

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bocchi jokes aside glad this is getting a good adaptation as I love the manga

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Thread please spoil me, is the series going to be fighting wack rear end crystals as dollar store sailor moon or is it going to be more varied?

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I read some of the manga way back and I can't wait for rear end in a top hat David Bowie to arrive in the show.

The animation is pretty good but the character and especially background art is stealing the show so far. The story is nothing original but it's been interesting enough to keep me hooked.

Also,

Lt. Lizard posted:

My Bocchi Academia

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Thread please spoil me, is the series going to be fighting wack rear end crystals as dollar store sailor moon or is it going to be more varied?

More varied. It legitimately is super hero fiction with an international group of heroes but the MC is more flavored as a magical girl.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
seems like kino. will sample

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If Shy didn't want to be called Bocchi, she shouldn't have had a supportive alcoholic as a mentor.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

second episode continued cool aesthetic touches like drawing flashback characters with watercolor pens. loved the monster design also.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pepsha is way more collected that Kukuri ever is though also you probably are never quite sure if and when Pepsha will activate Quite Zero either

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh of course they got Belldandy (Kikuko Inoue) for Unilord, they'd be daft not to if they had the choice.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this was weirdly my favorite episode yet. i miss going to the mall

stardust being a psychopath is a fun hook

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

we stan Shrimpy-san

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

we stan Shrimpy-san

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Shy's gonna struggle at first and then absolutely humiliate this budget David Bowie clown. Or at least I hope so! I don't like em!!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

this was weirdly my favorite episode yet. i miss going to the mall

stardust being a psychopath is a fun hook

I mean, it is a superhero name with... history.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean, if you write a comic with a brittish superhero who isn't a complete arse what are you writing?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 19, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah it surprised me when they introduced Stardust in the manga and he's literally David Bowie, I wasn't surprised with how he turns out though.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Idk how much of this to spoiler so I'm just doing most of it. Well, my prediction was incorrect. That said, I ain't mad at how it turned out. And I like her powers! And with the nurse and the scene on the news at the end, they've introduced the last two characters from the 5 in the credits, right? Or was the black cross nurse not the green one from the credits? I should watch the opening again.

I sorta didn't like the 3 episode cliffhanger, but I loved the character design and opening, and episode 4 has solidified that this is one I'm gonna watch weekly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Shy loving rules

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Loved the short "A-ha!!! You can't reflect my flames! Uh, I totally can, I was just a bit surprised the first time?" skit followed by Shy getting punched in her reaction shot. :allears:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
this episode owns. piltz ftw

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
edit: double post

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

missed last week so watching ep 4 & 5 back to back. the Stardust fight felt weirdly paced but the latter half of the ep was fine, i appreciate more heroes getting introduced and it seems from here on out Shy has enough resolve to offset getting an embarrassing assbeating again. also if they do more post-credits omakes, i'm a fan

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ok ep 5 was neat, more semi-serious SoL with a couple surprises in stock. hoping that the calligraphy club isn't just a one-off set-up segment, seems like it could help with Teru's introversion while a citizen if she keeps attending and eventually befriending the two members

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol at Spirit not giving a poo poo about how cold the North Pole is. very appreciative of the introduction of a hero that thinks somewhat like-minded to Shy though, and more villains complete with the sickass production value

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I had a lot of fun with this episode. Mianlong is great, big fan.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ive given it two episodes so far and i'm strongly pro-superhero yuri.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shy's friend sure pops up a lot more than I remember from the manga, but the last time I read Shy was before the mangadex collapse, so my memory isn't that great.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Don't be Shy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

two eps behind again so catching up now. episode 7 was really great, love how the ending was both an inverse of the public reception in the first episode and showed both Shy's development in popularity and socially. also lol at them pretty much spelling out the magical girl theming. Shrimpy-san continues to be win