Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

The theory I saw floated was rocket misfire into an ammo dump. Which, yeah sure, that'd be enough to do it.

I still think it's 95% likely that it was the IDF.

The theory of someone making poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ded posted:

arent the rockets hamas shoots at isreal pretty small anyways? no way they would be able to cause 500+ casualties in 1 pop

The usual Hamas rocket has trouble breaking double-digit deaths.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

psydude posted:

IDF is saying the propellant is what caused the explosion. Some of the failed Russian S-300 launches caused fairly big explosions, so I suppose it's plausible.

Qassams and PIJ's rockets don't really have the kind of propellant that'd cook off like that, as far as I'm aware. This is suppose to be a Hamas rocket that 'misfired', though, so I have no idea how it'd cause that kind of damage. Qassams are piddly.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 18, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

psydude posted:

Some of the rockets that Hamas fired on the first day managed to reach north of Tel-Aviv. One would think that they would have already used their longer range stuff early on, but is it possible that something with that kind of range could do the job?

Israel tends to hand-wave away collateral damage, so the degree to which they're pushing back on this makes me think they're either right or they realize that they really hosed up.

I imagine it didn't help that one of their government official guys crowed how awesome it was that they did it. I think Israel's big issue is actually how BAD this would be for them. Like they can hand-wave away collateral damage, but this was such a big death toll from a single hit and so publicly shouted about that even they can't just ignore it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1714526575058645290

Allegedly, this is footage from the same site from both Israel and Hamas. This doesn't necessarily absolve Israel of culpability, but that is NOT the kind of damage you see from the ordnance we've seen Israel employ so far. That's not bomb damage.

What DOES fit that is the question.

Borscht posted:

That 500 dead number might be a bit inflated.

I think we knew that for a while.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I'm going to keep on doing what I've been doing, which is understand that both sides have demonstrated a callous disregard for civilian casualties and a willingness to spin any narrative out of whole cloth, and not jump to conclusions. That I'm willing to accept those images as possibly/probably true is that both sides have published what strongly seem to be different angles of the same location, each using that image to their own end. I'm not going to accept any pro-Israeli or pro-Hamas outlet at face value.

I COULD scream at a stranger about what I think is true, but instead I'm going to await more evidence and maybe eventually draw a conclusion.

Yeah I don't have any certainty either way. I still think by default Israel is more likely to have done it, but accidents do happen. I just haven't seen anything convincing in any direction.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Everyone who matters is entrenched in their opinion and no evidence will change minds. Israel will never admit it if it’s them and the Arabs who read Protocols unironically (and there are lots) will never believe it isn’t a Jewish plot.

What an impressively awful post. I didn’t know those were the only people who mattered.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Yes, I am mad online, please put in the papers that I am mad.

Stealing my bit, you should be ashamed! Also I don't have the photoshop ability, sorry.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lum_ posted:

I was fine with a 6 hour break (I spent it drinking and killing demons) and to be fair he didn't literally put "don't put racist poo poo" on my rap sheet, but the implication is pretty clear. Plus I'm mad online.

...dril? is that you?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760?lang=en

Nah, I just did that "I'm mad! Put it in the paper that I'm mad! a couple weeks ago someone photoshopped KCHAMA IS MAD into a newspaper so I got a laugh in remembrance.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Godholio posted:

Their explanation best fits the existing evidence.

A lot of that evidence was either forged or intentionally misrepresented so I don't think that can be said anymore.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Godholio posted:

That's entirely untrue. If Israel actually targeted that hospital, it absolutely destroys the rapport that's been slowly building up. I'm confident they're going to find some other way to accomplish that, but poo poo hasn't completely imploded yet, so it matters.

The videos, or what?

The videos and the 'Clip of Hamas Operatives' both. That's really all the evidence they got and it doesn't point to Palestine cuz it's either misrepresented (the 'falling missile' video is of an Israeli interceptor) or fabricated (the Hamas clip is faked).

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

golden bubble posted:

https://www.silentlunch.net/p/did-the-entire-media-industry-misquote

Strong argument that Aljazeera (I bet intentionally because how does Aljazeera English screw up an Arabic to English translation like this) mistranslated a statement and every english news outlet blindly copied the tweet like lemmings.

Why are you posting an insane crank who doesn't know the first thing about Arabic or anything?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

It's not about whether it's helpful as an argumentative strategy, but about whether it's understandable as a human response. Whether people should be asked to calm down because they're not helping themselves and the person intentionally goading them censured, or whether the person who gets upset should be censured.

Though I would also disagree with the basic thesis, unless someone's argument is like 90% swearing by volume, I don't think I'd discount their argument out of hand if I felt like they had a reasonable reason to be upset. Someone who would go, "well, hm! this genocide clearly has you upset! I can't trust someone who's this irrational" is likely not someone who was going to end up on the anti-genocide side in the first place.

There is value in a "go away forever" to the genocide-lover and a cooldown s... Twelver for the other person. (For some reason sixxers make people a thousand times madder.)

Though I feel like we probably shouldn't tolerate awful meltdowns in the opposite direction, even if they are coming from justifiably mad people. I mean beyond "gently caress YOU YOU AWFUL JERK".

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Aardvark posted:

Ok so what is anyone or any actor supposed to do when the big world baddie backs the genocide perpetrator? Ask nicely or roll over? I don't see any other option besides relying on Mush Brain President asking nicely to stop doing a genocide.

Not pretend that your long-standing piracy/random attacks are justified because you swear it's for a good reason, now.

They ain't on Gaza's side and never have been. If they were, they wouldn't be promising to exempt two of Israel's biggest trade partners/allies from the attacks (due to them also being friends of Iran).

If they actually were intent on helping Gaza, they wouldn't be doing it like they are, because all they are doing is increasing world suffering to help their pocket book,. It's akin to if, say, claiming you're trying to stop Walmart from expanding into a city by shooting randomly at a nearby highway, hijacking random vehicles for other stores, and kidnapping random people (while letting Walmart trucks go through).

Kchama fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 30, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The piracy being 'completely indiscriminate no matter what they claim' is pretty laughably easily disproven by China and Russia not lifting a finger about it.

I don't really understand how that disproves that it is indiscriminate? It just means Russia and China would see what's going on as more beneficial to them to let go on instead of dealing with themselves. Russia doesn't use the Red Sea much, and China can just go around and let others suffer instead. Plus, allied with Iran. Russia has all the reason in the world to back the Houthis (especially as they are very friendly with Iran). Though considering the shape of Russia's navy, it could also be a 'can't' instead of won't'.

But even all that aside, you're also wrong. Neither Russia nor China sided with the Houthis in the UN, and China is currently, right now, telling the Houthis to knock it off because it is making them look bad, as they had brokered a deal between Iran and SA to prevent this very sort of thing.

The Aardvark posted:

Ah so genocide is the main course.

These attacks have predated the current round of genocide against the Gazans by about a decade, and didn't have such a narrative back then. Weird that the attacks suddenly became for Gaza in words, but still the same old attacks in deed.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 30, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cindy the SKULL posted:

from wikipedia

"God is the Greatest
Death to America
Death to Israel
A Curse Upon the Jews
Victory to Islam"

well, carrying a grudge for crimes perpetrated is genocidal in a way, i guess

They worked pretty hard to make sure there are no Jews in their country.

Also, are all Jews guilty of Israel's crimes? That seems to be what you're saying.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cindy the SKULL posted:

Hey man, we can all read whatever we want in each others hidden messages. But no, that isn't what I seem to be saying
It's not just Israel or America they say they hate on their flag. and you just said that they want to genocide their enemies stated on the flag because 'maybe it's just because of a grudge for 'crimes perpetuated in a genocidal way'. So I had to clarify since you seemed to be putting the Jews in there too.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cindy the SKULL posted:

Well sure, but isn't it kinda completely reasonable to associate Israel with Jews as a people, since uh, Israel kinda does portray itself as THE Jewish Nation? It might not be just, but that's kinda what follows when a state like Israel does crimes against Muslims for half a century...... It's the same with America imo, there's plenty of hatred among Muslims towards your people for quite justifiable reasons. It's not something you can really criticise them for.

No, it's not. Your example is even dumber, because there is no 'American' ethnicity or religion. If you're an American, then you're a member of the United States of America. Yemeni Jews are not Israelites. You're just defending and excusing bigotry.

Fascinating. Guess bigotry and antisemitism has a point!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cindy the SKULL posted:

sorry, i edited the link. anyway, i don't understand what you're saying, also sorry about that

You're comparing the justified dislike of America and Americans, a country that hasn't always been the best to the Kuwaiti, to the Houthis general hatred of Jews, who are NOT Israeli or all Israelites and thus cannot be said to have all participated in crimes against the Gazans.

You're saying that antisemitism is justified and reasonable because Israel has done bad. To put it super simply: All Americans are members of the USA. Not all Jews are members Israel. One is a nation, one is a ethnicity/religion. Conflating them to excuse hatred of unrelated Jews is bigotry.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 30, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

BBC is reporting Israeli special forces engaged in treachery during lethal raid on West Bank hospital, dressing as civilians and healthcare workers while entering and killing Palestinian men.

I guess they could argue the men killed aren’t part of a nation or army, but then it is still dressing up like doctors and civilians to kill civilian subjects of Israel so…

https://x.com/mehdirhasan/status/1752323045346230705?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68137050

Definite crimes against humanity there on Israel's part.

Cindy the SKULL posted:

right, the antisemitism, deplorable and quite frankly concerning, as a causally traceable result of the actions, the crimes of the state of Israel? we're in agreement then?

You seem pretty intent on making the antisemitism out to be justified.

EDIT: Lol that being against bigotry against Jews gets you labelled an Israel-lover. Gee, wonder who gave me this AV.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cindy the SKULL posted:

what? i don't have any particular feelings towards jews, i don't think i've ever even met one. I'm talking about the hatred I hear from my many refugee/* Muslim friends I talk with about the subject. Like, I'm telling you that the actions of Israel in these past few months have had lasting repurcussions across the whole loving planet upon the opinions of billions of people. jeez

What he is saying is, those people are trying to justify their bigotry by saying that their hatred is only because of a nation. They already had that bigotry. That bigotry is older than a few months. The Houthis flag is decades old. So you going "Well they SAY they have a reason for hating Jews because Israel did bad so that means that bigotry is justified" is dumb and wrong.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
The fact that China is yelling at Iran and the Houthis publicly is some major finger-lifting from China.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Borscht posted:

A guy just committed perfidy in a wheelchair and all you people want to talk about is boats.

It’s hard to have much to say about extremely clear-cut crimes beyond “That sucks and the people who did it sucks.”, to be honest. At least talking about the Houthis there's something to discuss. Israel's always going to be the greater evil since they have more firepower and are very willing to do evil things to use it.

EDIT: Also, the reason why I am so hard on the Houthis is BECAUSE they claim to be doing it for Gaza. I care for Palestinian liberation a lot, which is why I don't like groups who want to use the Palestinian cause to boost their reputation while doing nothing to actually help them. Especially since the Houthis suck poo poo themselves to the point that their own ex-spokesperson thinks the US is propping them up secretly because despite being "evil terrorists of the worst caliber" is his words, they're better to deal with than the hopelessly corrupt other government of Yemen.

I think they're a possible anchor around Gaza's neck in the future.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 31, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It is impressive how Israel managed to annihilate any sympathy they may have garnered from the October attack. Not only so quickly, but also so utterly. Just gotta be as evil as possible.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I would caution against underappreciating how much support the secular state of Israel still has in western populations and, particularly, circles of power.

Well, they definitely annihilated MY sympathy, at least.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Active duty USAF member set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy in DC today.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/man-sets-self-fire-israeli-embassy-air-force/

Critical condition with life threatening injuries. loving sad as hell.

As someone who has been set ablaze, poor fucker. He may heal someday, but he'll never be certain he's back to 100%.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

He's been reported to have died

Poor guy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

loving hero.

Big brass balls, a wonder he could even walk

Yeah, but I still sympathize with the agony he must have went though. It, uh, sucks being set on fire.

Just because you're a hero doesn't mean you don't feel pain, and even agony for a good cause is still agony.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 29, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
They probably mean the 'slip a small group of soldiers behind enemy lines' meaning instead of the 'snuck in' meaning.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I was told Joe was the "harm reduction" choice

Considering that Trump has currently declared that Gaza should be completely wiped out... he still is.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
https://apnews.com/article/yemen-houthi-attacks-us-israel-palestinians-gaza-89c5440d9943216a787b39912bd969e0

First fatalities in Houthis attacks. The True Confidence was hit by missiles and two are confirmed dead, and it seems up to three more are missing, and more injured in the blast. Turns out just firing missiles randomly isn't safe for the crew on board.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It doesn't help that for plenty of things being shipped, how long it takes there is a very important calculation. Tacking on nearly a month extra transit time is a very big deal.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Double post, but new news.

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1765440149712720370

According to a Houthis leader, the deaths were unintentional, and they are prepared to allow America to compensate the victims. And then they will consider compensating the family of the victims by the same amount that the families are compensated in Gaza. So I assume 'none'.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

ok but have you considered that maybe this is a great victory over capitalist imperialism because the nice man in the beret said "solidarity" on TikTok

e: I should make this serious. I honestly can't believe anyone is defending hucking missiles at uninvolved workers who are probably already getting a poo poo deal. My thoughts on this yesterday were "it's all fun and games until someone gets killed*" and welp

* yes I know people are getting killed in Gaza too, but mowing down random Filipino sailors won't make a spit of difference

People seem to really think that attacking people randomly is really loving cool as long as you say you're doing it for a cause they like.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I do think it is kind of weird to purely blame the companies trying to ship freight through the Red Sea and not the people deliberately firing missiles at their ships. It is only a warzone because a different party is choosing to make it a warzone. According to the Houthis, most of these ships shouldn't have any worry at all, but the people killed were completely unrelated to the Gazan genocide.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Steezo posted:

So like, one time when I was in Iraq some dumbass LT wanted to route our convoys through Route Irish (a black, dangerous route) to save time instead of just going down Tampa (safer but not always green). Everyone and their mother told him to shut the gently caress up and quit advocating for that or he's going to get fragged. So my point is, the dangerous route exists and people are being put at risk because management isn't within stabbing or grenade range of those sailors.

That seems different though, because this WAS previously a safe route just a couple months ago. This would be like blaming someone for going down to Tampa instead.

the JJ posted:

I mean, not to put a fine point on it, but the US and its proxies have seen fit to kill probably more than 2 people completely unrelated to the Houthis specifically by targeting shipping.

[https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famine_in_Yemen_(2016%E2%80%93present)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockade_of_Yemen

And now they're watching another US proxy/affiliated state conduct and It’s a more devastating attack (including interdicting humanitarian supplies).

By the standards of US interventions, achieving this https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4501958-houthi-fight-pentagon-cost/amp/ while only killing 2 civilians is quite restrained. We've almost certainly killed as many civilians in Yemen to kill a single AQ leader.

It's not that killing civilians is okay, it's just that by the standards of the atrocities in the region... hell, by the standards of other atrocities the Houthis have committed, this is pretty tame.

They’ve basically gotten lucky that they haven’t killed more people. And that seems entirely like saying it’s okay, because they’ve killed less people this time.

lightpole posted:

The posts blaming the Houthis are further up the thread.

Yes, but the posts I was complaining about weren’t blaming them at all, and pinning the blame on people the attacked work for.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 7, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I can assure you this has a very limited impact on the cost of shipping. It’s an annoyance at best, but shipping rates were depressed so reducing availability by routing longer actually makes number go up for the shipping lines.

The governments might be seeing some pressure from cargo owners (lol there’s idiots that still believe in Just In Time) or it might just be navies going OMG PIRATES LETS GO LETS GO as they are want to do. They might also be concerned about the price of oil, because that’s an important area for that.

The True Confidence was a bulker heading from China to Jeddah loaded. Wasn’t really an option to avoid the Red Sea. Bulkers carry low value cargos, usually dirt or dirt like stuff in bulk. In this case from the movement pattern I’m guessing steel products.

Arguably a ship delivering to Saudi Arabia is a legitimate target for the Houthis, but the way modern shipping structures itself nationalities are kind of meaningless. The guys who died had nothing to do with the conflict.

Attacking Saudi Arabian ships definitely breaks the peace treaty they signed with SA last year.

Also it has been confirmed to carry steel products and trucks.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's the point we are trying to get across. It is not a Saudi ship.

Are you sure you intended to reply to me? Your post doesn’t make any sense to me.

EDIT: AH! Sorry I was very sleepy when I replied and was inaccurate, yes. The ship itself wasn't SA, but was carrying stuff from SA, which is why I was referring to when I said it'd be breaking the treaty to hit it to begin with.

I think you may have mistaken me for the other side due to that, I was saying that beyond it being bad to attack ships unrelated to Israel, it's doubly so to attack ships that are suppose to be protected by a peace treaty the Houthis signed themselves.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 7, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

shwinnebego posted:

They are not Iranian proxies according to scholars who have spent time studying the history.. Some good background here: https://thedigradio.com/podcast/yemen-and-the-houthis-w-helen-lackner/ and a shorter story here https://www.democracynow.org/2024/2/1/yemen_strikes

Yeah they just happen to pledge to avoid shooting at noted allies of Iran, despite one of them being one of Israel's biggest trade partners. But that has nothing to do with Iran.

Both of those appear to be quoting the same singular scholar.

Like, the thrust of her argument is that the Houthis are independent despite the whole "working for Iran" deal, so they aren't technically proxies. I'm not sure who qualifies as a proxy under that argument. I mean, while I don't doubt the Houthis doesn't need much encouragement to gently caress with Israel, seeing as how it is literally their motto to gently caress with Israel, even she admits that Iran is very active in the Houthis' military business.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like while Yemen might technically be a proxy, what most people would understand as a "proxy" is a smaller nation with no agency of its own, that would not want to do what it does without its "master's" manipulation. My understanding is that the Houthis are more or less aligned with Iran's opinions and interests internationally as it is, so I'd call it more of an alliance with a major and minor partner, than a proxy arrangement.

The reason some people get upset about the proxy designation is, in my opinion, that some argumenters use it to go "well we should ignore what the Houthis say because they're just an Iranian mouthpiece, they get more bombs" rather than "okay, they're doing some bad things, but perhaps there are reasons behind their grudges which are worth having a look at, to see whether we can find some common ground or if, perhaps, we could do/stop doing things that would calm things down." Sure, there are probably some bad faith debaters, but likewise pointing and yelling "PROXY!" can also be used by bad actors.

I just feel like if, for example, America had an identical relationship with the Houthis as Iran does, they'd be screaming 'proxy'.

Like the term is basically "do you dislike the more powerful nation Y/N? If Y, Proxy" to a lot of people. I just found it funny that that person's analysis involves Iran having a lot of say-so in Yemen affairs simply because of their interest in it.