Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've decided this thread is going to be my main source of news and opinion because holy poo poo the internet is full of the worst possible takes and somehow a bunch of broke brained vets on a dead comedy site are the most sane I'll encounter.

It's unsettling as gently caress seeing Jewish friends and acquaintances whose political social media activity doesn't usually go beyond pro-Democratic politician reposts start putting up poo poo about since Hamas schools train Palestinian children to be terrorists so it's morally justified to wipe out Gaza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Madurai posted:

No matter how many tons of ordnance they lay on, starvation and dehydration will still be the biggest killers. The blockade is the mortal threat, here.

Oh, don’t forget disease.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BUUNNI posted:

Worth remembering Israel is also claiming otherwise

And, with their backers, are claiming that if the million + children, elderly, and normal people trying to survive don't want to be bombed to death they should overthrow the heavily armed Iranian backed militant group.

*This is what we call a paper thin excuse for ethnic cleansing

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Biden has talked Israel into reducing the number of crimes against humanity they're committing this week.

quote:

Israeli officials say the Biden administration pressed the Israeli government in the last 48 hours to resume the water supply, especially to the southern part of the Gaza Strip

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BUUNNI posted:

I think it's kinda hosed up that the Israeli PM's twitter account is using this kind of language to invoke support for their attacks

W is nodding and mentally high-fiving Bibi.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mrmcd posted:

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1714446569775173872

US seems to be going out of its way to say sometimes hospitals just explode mysteriously.

Biden was pointedly avoiding saying Iran had a hand in this mess, he's not going to blame this on anyone without really firm evidence.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

B B posted:

New analysis of the Gaza hospital explosion coming out:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1715437877604049094

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1715429352697934331

Takeaways:

- The audio call between the Hamas super soldiers was at the very least digitally manipulated in very obvious ways and potentially faked outright.
- The projectile that caused the explosion came from the direction opposite to what the IDF claimed--which is to say, from the direction of Israel.

What this all means:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everyone who matters is entrenched in their opinion and no evidence will change minds. Israel will never admit it if it’s them and the Arabs who read Protocols unironically (and there are lots) will never believe it isn’t a Jewish plot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kchama posted:

What an impressively awful post. I didn’t know those were the only people who mattered.

Everyone who matters to affecting the situation. You don't. I don't. The people living there and influencing policy and reactions do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Antisemitic attitudes are shockingly high in Arabic countries. This is just a fact, bud. https://global100.adl.org/map

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BUUNNI posted:

I wonder if the IDF spokesperson will ever have a “are we the baddies” moment

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1718240244129059167

Given that the message is being delivered in English via the internet to Arabic speakers in a region where electricity and cell service has been cut off by the people delivering the message...

I don't think that message is actually directed at Gazans.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well unlike the hospital, there is no denying the responsibility for this one: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67276822.amp

Dozens of refugees bombed to get one Hamas member.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

:psyduck: Judaism is a religon, the entire point of the War was that genetics doesn't matter for humans

It's also an ethnicity.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Turns out the body count at the rave was, at least in part, the result of an IDF gunship lighting up party goers. The more that comes out about the IDF response on that day the more it seems they really did just not give a gently caress about separating their own people from the hostiles. Blue on blue between disparate infantry units stumbling over each other while there was no clear C&C I can understand, but stuff like this or the tanks apparently firing on houses with hostages in as prelim to clearing them, it's nuts.

https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/1725958732113162579?t=DEj5cTnSYE6FBaE_VTMYfQ&s=19

Well according to the West Bank settlers NPR interviewed a few weeks ago, the partiers were a bunch of peaceniks, so they had it coming.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fivemarks posted:

I mean, though, this isn't any different, and isn't as bad, as the poo poo that the US has done to its black population. I don't think Israel's tested syphillis on its Ethiopian population.

What's this have to do with anything?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Count Roland posted:

I was going to ask the thread about that same thing.

From the start of this conflict it seemed like a mass expulsion of Palestinians from Gaza was a possibility. It doesn't seem like that possibility has gotten less likely. Already most of the residents of Gaza have been displaced from their homes and neighbourhoods and are crowded in small regions. Israel has no clear plan on what comes next, either militarily or politically.

However, actually moving the Palestinians elsewhere would be very difficult. I think just about every nation opposes their expulsion (as well they should, it being explicitly contrary to international law) including the US. No other country would want to take the Gazans. Forcing large numbers of Palestinians into a neighbouring country would likely start an additional or expanded war.

So, can this expulsion happen? How? Where would they go? How would this be done politically?

Cram them into West Bank?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The loving Madagascar plan?! :psyduck:

quote:

On Tuesday, Intelligence Minister Gila Gamliel told Zman that “voluntary migration is the best and most realistic program for the day after the fighting ends.”

On Tuesday, during a conference held in the Knesset to examine possibilities for postwar Gaza, Gamliel said: “At the end of the war, Hamas rule will collapse. There are no municipal authorities; the civilian population will be entirely dependent on humanitarian aid. There will be no work, and 60% of Gaza’s agricultural land will become security buffer zones.”

In internal discussions, Gamliel presented a map of the Gaza Strip after the fighting that shows remaining residents boxed in. Israel would cut ties with Gaza and expand its security buffer zones; control the Philadelphi Corridor, which runs along the 14-kilometer (8.7-mile) Gaza-Egypt border (a plan attacked by an Egyptian lawmaker on Saturday after it was announced by Netanyahu); and establish a permanent naval blockade.

NOT ETHNIC CLEANSING DON'T CALL IT ETHNIC CLEANSING YOU ANTISEMITES

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Just for added fun, the specific crime is “perfidy.”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pmchem posted:

I guess, the charitable explanation seems simplest and most likely? what "deal" would they even cut?

the takes on this are kind of weird to hear. NPR framed egypt's opposition to potentially accepting refugees as "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening". but like, drat, they're refugees and it's obvious that egypt is not on the side of israel. just imagine applying the same argument to turkey or europe refusing syrian refugees during the govt campaign against its civilians there: "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening". there'd be wholesale outrage. or imagine the US turning away people at its border "they don't want to be a part of facilitating that happening" regarding abuses in latin america, instead of allowing people to make asylum requests. terrible.

the more obvious explanation of egypt not wanting refugees has to do with the politics of the current government and the history of the muslim brotherhood in that country

I think the obvious explanation is "Israel will not let the refugees back into Gaza after they leave and Egypt doesn't want a permanent refugee population"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

The Israelis cause a lot of problems for their neighbors, who's going to keep them quiet?

I just don't see why the world should be concerned about the safety and security of a people actively involved in the genocide of their neighbors.

The Israelis don't seem to care that much about their own security either, eradicating the Palestinians and stealing their land seems more important to them.

I don't see how pissing off the rest of the world with their actions does anything to improve their security.

It's an article of faith for the Israeli right (and center-right) that the rest of the world hates Jews and will never help them, so they are justified in protecting themselves by any means necessary, rest of the world be damned.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Active duty USAF member set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy in DC today.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/man-sets-self-fire-israeli-embassy-air-force/

Critical condition with life threatening injuries. loving sad as hell.

Really sad part is that virtually nobody will know or care about this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Civilian shipping is explicitly protected under the Geneva Conventions and attacking it is a war crime.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Quackles posted:

I'm told that phone calls to a representative's office will generally be more notable for them and so have more of an impact.

My representative is getting primaried and her opponent is jumping on "she said mean things about Israel" as the main attack.
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/wesley-bell-explains-his-position-on-israels-actions-in-gaza-41296861
:sigh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Gonna go against the grain and suggest that Israel is not engaged in genocide. Israel does not have the goal of exterminating the Palestinian people. They'd be fine if that happens, but that is not the goal. They want them somewhere else. Jordan, Egypt, dead, doesn't matter to them but dead isn't the explicit goal.
Based on what the actions have been

mlmp08 posted:

Forced relocation
Starvation and deprivation of water as weapon of war
Indiscriminate killing of civilians
Targeting of the press
Destruction of schools
Destruction of the medical system writ large
etc.

This is ethnic cleansing. Israel is incontrovertibly engaged in ethnic cleansing which is also a crime against humanity but doesn't rhyme with anything snappy so it's less popular of an accusation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

Israeli security minister taking the partial pause in arms shipments well:
https://x.com/itamarbengvir/status/1788458123436433783

It’s really remarkable that a wealthy industrialized nation can’t reduce one poor fish in a barrel city to rubble without being given American bombs.