Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think it's bad to shoot and bomb unarmed people whoever they and you are. That's my hot take.

*turns on the news* Oh murder and war crimes for everyone then ah oh well maybe next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah reading a bunch of different mainstream reports it seems like the Hamas dudes rolled through a bunch of towns and villages close to the border and killed people indiscriminately but, like with guns not beheadings. Nobody is really printing the beheading thing except as secondhand statements.

Although to a dead kid I suppose the manner of execution doesn't really matter much.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

orange juche posted:

Possibly because of the shocking nature of the killings, literally beheading babies is monstrous behavior.

The kids had no choice in where they were, the killings were pointless beyond shock/horror value.

Will it wind up getting brought up more? Absolutely, but maybe not at this particular second.

I mean there's also the very real possibility that if you're going around unloading assault rifle rounds and RPGs on kids, not all the pieces are, uh, gonna stay attached.

Personally I just assume that anyone who seems deeply invested in splitting hairs about the specific tools and circumstances of how children were murdered is kinda sus.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

This. So much of the public is condemning Hamas, but ignoring the fact both sides of just this conflict are in a Race to the bottom. Many of the same people lamenting those deaths are more than willing to ignore the IAF dropping apartment buildings, mosques, and schools with impunity.

Yeah this is what kinda my feelings about all this. The most bloodthirsty factions on both sides are firmly in the driver's seat now and there's no obvious way this doesn't lead to months of more atrocities and war crimes by everyone.

The Israelis have pretty much announced their intention to flatten Gaza and the Egyptians have already said that they aren't letting anyone leave through their border so I guess if you're just a regular rear end person in Gaza your options are to jump into the sea or wait for the artillery to take you out.

Hamas knows this as well and wants to bait the Israelis into a protracted urban war where they can gun and run on more familiar terrain. None of those hostages are coming back alive either, because once their usefulness as bait and human shields is gone there's no reason to give them back.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

It's hosed up. Neither side is the good guy. In a just world, an international peacekeeping force backed by US air elements would take control and stand down both sides. Instead, we have US SOF elements assisting in genocide because ???

The reason we support Israel is the same reason we strongly support KSA and don't bring up all their genocidal war crimes (not to mention the fact the government literally beheads people in a public square weekly). It's seen as desirable to have a friendly partner in the region that is fairly strong militarily, and more importantly plugged in to local intelligence gathering. Plus both are ideological enemies of Iran. We're still mad about Iran.

There are also elements of the US political right that love Israel for reasons that range from "I hate Muslims" to "it's part of my doomsday Christianity cult theology", but there's reasonable realpolitik reasons for an alliance with Israel.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Israel's president on the subject of civilians in Gaza is: "What civilians? I don't see any civilians?"

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1712811314299490353?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Is the Israeli president a mostly powerless figurehead like in most parliamentary systems? Idk everyone in Israeli politics but I could see the presidency being a place where they stick an absolute loon because he says red meat things for the base without having much actual power.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Well at least we got a good 48 hours to launder every right wing uncle's talking point for the next 6 months into the general consciousness.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

NYT reporting it now, at least 500 dead. Israel saying only they are "looking into it.":

quote:

At least 500 people were killed by an explosion at a hospital in Gaza City on Tuesday that Palestinian authorities said was caused by an Israeli airstrike.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said the number of casualties was expected to rise. Many civilians were sheltering at Al Ahli Arab Hospital, better known as Al-Ma’amadani, before it was hit. Israel said it was investigating the report.

The deadly explosion at the hospital came as President Biden was preparing for a visit to Israel on Wednesday as conditions in besieged Gaza grew ever more desperate.

If even the centrist mushbrain media is running it sure sounds like they flattened a hospital full of people. I'm sure Biden will wag his finger disapprovingly in private when he gets there.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

quote:

The Israel Defense Forces said in a statement that hospitals were not Israeli military targets. “The I.D.F. is investigating the source of the explosion and, like always, is prioritizing accuracy and reliability,” the Israeli military said in a statement. “We urge everyone to proceed with caution.

Honestly have no idea what that means.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It means nothing. They say the same sort of thing when they shoot journalists dead.

I just mean if they were gonna deny it or blame Hamas they'd just do that. "Uhhhh uhhhh... let me call you back later" sure sounds like someone who hosed up big time without a plan.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

quote:

The Israeli military said in a statement on Tuesday night that a misfired Palestinian militant rocket, not an Israeli strike, was responsible for the deadly explosion at the hospital. According to the Israeli military, a rocket barrage from Gaza was in close proximity to the hospital when it was struck. Islamic Jihad, an Islamist group aligned with Hamas in Gaza, was responsible, the Israeli military said.

I would like to see the evidence on this.guys.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1714446569775173872

US seems to be going out of its way to say sometimes hospitals just explode mysteriously.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Depending on who you ask either the hospital is a pile of rubble with 500 bodies inside, or some cars in the parking lot got lightly bbq'ed. Seems like this should be something that could be figured out in a territory the size of Manhattan that has literally the whole world watching it right now.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Israel will never be able to start the ground invasion because they'll have a constant backlog of all US state governors just cycling through the country a week at a time.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

Antarctica is currently defrosting if you want something in the longer term. :edi:

There's a book called The Yiddish Policeman's Union that's a detective novel set in an alternate universe where Israel was setup in a part of coastal Alaska America donated to them instead of Palestine.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah Erdogan is a piece of poo poo and just kinda shoots his mouth off in whichever way he thinks the wind is blowing that week. He basically wants to be a little Putin being the regional dealmaker and kingpin while crushing any opposition at home. As other people have mentioned he basically goes to the islamic nationalist well whenever he thinks it's a good distraction from his fuckups or scores him political points.

He is not an ally of Palestinians or anyone who wants a free and open society.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

ZombieApostate posted:

The author liked a post in the comments complaining that the media wasn't taking the Twitter files (and Missouri v Biden, which I had to look up) seriously enough so it could be bullshit or it could be the worst person you know meme, I'm not sure.

He also has a bunch of posts advocating for various right wing COVID conspiracy theories (lab leak, media hiding dangers of vaccines, masking doesn't do anything) so I'm not sure he's a reliable source on this.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Sorry to be that guy but because Elon sucks and I don't have a Twitter account anymore, I can't read this. The unroller app only works if you have a premium account now. Could someone do the needful? Thanks!

https://nitter.net/Ruwa4Georgia/status/1719432988113428685

It's a bit awkward on mobile but generally replacing twitter.com with nitter.net works.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

It's for lead brained boomers so they can feel comfortable writing off anyone who might object to indiscriminate bombing of Palestinians.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

If your idea of Israel is synonymous with a nation where Jewish people have political, social, and economic privileges that aren't available to everybody-- even people who have lived in that place their whole lives and have no other nationality-- then any advocacy for not that is technically a call for "the destruction of Israel".

Edit: To elaborate a bit more, there's a lot of Jewish people, especially those over 50 or living in Europe who fundamentally believe that long term everyone will eventually turn on Jewish people and try to exterminate or expel them, and the only hedge against that is a nation where Jewish and only Jewish people are in charge. The problem is that this is by definition an apartheid state and fully embracing an apartheid state leads to all kinds of incredibly dark and illiberal poo poo which is exactly what we've seen happen decade after decade in Israel. This also leads most of the cognitive dissonance among otherwise liberal and pro-democracy Jewish people that is so perplexing to everyone else. People who would never chant "BUILD THE WALL!", think Trump is an appalling racist and wanna be dictator, support everything MLK did, will accept no criticism of Israel or even acknowledge that it's an apartheid nation.

This is obviously not all Jewish people and there are lots of Jewish people protesting Israel's behavior, but the opposite is also depressingly common. I have at least a half dozen longtime personal friends like that and it's just so depressing sometimes. I really don't know how you convince someone who absolutely believes that supporting and maintaining an apartheid system is the only hedge against their destruction.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 8, 2023

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

psydude posted:

Anecdotally, every hardcore zionist I know is a conservative Christian. Every Jewish friend I have wants Israel as a place that will protect Jewish people, but as a secular state that guarantees free exercise.

Yeah there's a lot of very strong support for Israel from hard right Americans that has nothing to do with Jewish identity. Some of it comes from fundamentalist eschatological Christianity. Most of it is just a mix of regional realpolitik and hating Muslims.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Lum_ posted:

If you seriously want to know my opinion, it's that a multi-ethnic state is the platonic moral idea, and unattainable for generations thanks to the bad blood on every side, and a two-state solution with viable borders for both sides (as opposed to the apartheid land grab of the current government) is the only realistic moral option. I strongly suspect you don't care and are just trolling, though.

I'm not sure two ethnostates with mirror image apartheid regimes is actually much of a moral victory, but it's moot point anyway because the people with political power in Israel have no interest in a real two state solution.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

kill me now posted:

Who on earth considers Glenn Greenwald and Roger waters "the left" in the year 2023.

C-SPAM lunatics.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Speaking of NI, the book "Say Nothing" is an excellent book about the Troubles and the subsequent process towards peace, but also the human effects, emotional scars, and how difficult it is to break out of a cycle of violence. It is very clear that nobody is "right" in that conflict. The IRA, the Loyalists, and the UK government all did atrocious and horrible acts. Both sides murdered innocents. One of the big themes of the book is that most of those people will never be punished for what they did, but there's exactly zero routes to peace that go through "all my enemies will be for their crimes and their acts". All you can do is agree to stop killing and to work towards something better.

On that note, it means any sort of "Northern Ireland Process" for I/P would inevitably mean some Hamas dudes end up going on with their lives, maybe even having government roles, just as Gerry Adams is still on Twitter being a fussy poo poo posting grandpa today.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

So the haul from Hamas HQ / Super Terror Lair is a dozen AKs and zero hostages?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/21/biden-hostage-israel-hamas-war-00128351

quote:

And there was some concern in the administration about an unintended consequence of the pause: that it would allow journalists broader access to Gaza and the opportunity to further illuminate the devastation there and turn public opinion on Israel.

Oops someone said the quiet part out loud again.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Should U.S. Aid to Israel Be Contingent on Human Rights?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/should-us-aid-to-israel-be-contingent-on-human-rights

I'm ded

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Count Roland posted:

What am I looking at in that photo

I'm guessing a native American tribe in the big parade and someone was holding up a Palestinian flag.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

raminasi posted:

In addition to everything else that's been said, Biden personally just fuckin' loves Israel as a concept. His privilege of this predilection over the reality of Netanyahu's bullshit has reportedly rankled some of his staff and associates:

But the reporting portrays this as ideological inertia more than fanaticism:

Every day after supper he asks his staff to setup a call with Golda Meir.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/Yonatan_Touval/status/1729222287780368460

Bibi very loudly and obviously bragging about how he loves to stab the US in the back and he'll do it again, and Biden is like "thank you sir I love you."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

How ia what he's describing stabbing the US in the back?

By stating he has no intention of pursuing a two state solution or any Palestinian state (a nominally American policy goal and requirement) and "managing" the American president to do whatever they want and still get their money and bombs.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

That just sounds like politics? Successfully achieving your political aims while managing blowback?

Yes politics often involves backstabbing.

The question is why the US continues to treat Likud and Israel and trustworthy and useful partners when they openly brag about how they will not hold up their end of any bargains.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Personally, I don't want Israel "to be destroyed" any more than I want, say, Saudi Arabia "to be destroyed." I just think they are both states led by theocratic thugs that regularly commit obvious and shameful human rights abuses as a matter of course, and anyone outside the ruling ethnic class is essentially a second class citizen. I think it would be better for the world generally if both states were not like that. As an American citizen I strongly disapprove of my government spending its money and reputation defending both states, and I want them to stop doing that. That's my only real political demand: Stop spending American money and reputation propping up violent human rights abusing ethnostates. For this certain people would label me a dangerous radical.

I don't have any particular prescription for how to make countries like Saudi Arabia and Israel "not like that" because there's a huge number of ways that could happen, the end result might not actually be better, and assuming I have the answers on how to fix everything is the kind of dumb American arrogance the world really really needs less of right now.

If, however, someone reads a desire for Israel to stop being a violent apartheid state rooted in Jewish supremacy as "the destruction of Israel", I think that says more about them than anyone else.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

And in case someone would mistake me as thinking America is without sin: Sixty years ago there were people who described the push to end the Jim Crow system as an existential attack on the foundation of America. That the movement to end Jim Crow was a foreign/anarchist/communist/homosexual plot to destroy America. There are certainly people who still believe that today.

I think it's very obvious what those people actually stand for and they can go gently caress themselves.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Oh wow, Israel is doing exactly what everyone said they were gonna do, because they've been doing it for decades (ethnically cleansing Palestinians). What a shock and surprise.

I'm sure Biden is strongly considering writing a weak tea letter asking "maybe please don't do that but you know only if you wanna (new guns and bombs are still coming though)."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/11/icj-hears-south-africas-genocide-case-against-israel-over-gaza-war

Say that the ICJ does actually come down on the side of South Africa's argument and go: "Yes, Israel is being a bunch of genocidal fucks." What would the actual consequence be? The ICJ doesn't have an enforcement division that can go to Israel and arrest their government and Netanyahu probably won't go hand himself over willingly. So I assume the only real consequence would be that ICJ signatories would be legally compelled to arrest those found responsible if they dropped by?

Yeah people who win wars don't go to jail for war crimes. The only real consequence (assuming nobody is going to enforce the judgement with military force) is embarrassment and political pressure on every other country to not have diplomatic or economic ties to Israel.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Smart Brain: Arrest any of them that leave Israel. But uh, there’s something inherently wrong with making a list of Jews to hang in Europe. Just yeah, let’s not.

Yeah, Interpol having any Israeli on a list of people wanted on outstanding warrants is just like what Hitler did. 🙄

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I think it was a local public radio politics show where one reporter speculated the construction was probably Egypt hedging its bets in the event that desperate Palestinians broke through the border wall in the chaos of an Israeli assault of Rafah. Egypt might not be planning on accepting anyone voluntarily but if there's a breach it's better in their minds to have a big secondary boundary rather than a million people streaming in and going every which way.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Founder of World Central Kitchen Says Several Workers Killed in Gaza Airstrike https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/...uNRC3Sh-&ugrp=m

Looks like they bombed some more aid workers. Just a little whoopsie daisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I have to admit part of me is just really depressed about this dramatic change in tone from the political and pundit class after the WCK attack. Jose Andres seems like a really good dude, but the critical element here seems to be he's very, very plugged in to the DC social scene. These ghouls were fine with 6 months of Israel bombing hospitals and apartments full of children, and wrote endless op-eds justifying it. It isn't until they tried to murk one of their very good friends from DC cocktail parties (and then claim a hamas guy was standing nearby) that they actually got upset.