Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If someone wants to discuss only aerial bombing and whether or not it is discriminate or not (it is not discriminate in this case), then I have to ask if they also think that cutting off food, water, and electricity and telling 1 million people to dehouse themselves is discriminate use of force and justifiable coercion and force against civilians.

Before you try to work through whether this seems reasonable, it's the kind of thing that has already been written about and discussed at length, before this current conflict kicked off. https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/en/customary-ihl/v1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BUUNNI posted:

By doing this the Israelis also gave permission for their citizens to be legitimate targets since they are technically responsible for selecting their genocidal state.

It can never be repeated enough that protections from war crimes and for civilians are INCLUSIVE to as many as possible not EXCLUSIVE to as few as possible, no matter how many internet poster law people say that doing one weird trick removes human rights protections.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

The purposeful targeting of civilians is a normal act in war.

I believe you are conflating "purposeful targeting of civilians" and "not caring about collateral / military necessity to the point of cruelty"

E: To be crystal clear, I mean this in respect to your statement that purposeful targeting of civilians is a normal act in war generally. I am not saying that in this specific war, Israel is just oopsy killing civilians.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 14, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

There is no moral difference.

I'm just never going to agree with you. Purposefully targeting and killing civilians is morally different from making a good faith effort at the individual level not to kill civilians and failing due to scale of war.

Purposefully targeting and killing/wounding civilians for the purpose of killing civilians is murderous poo poo, and the people who dot that are murderers by any definition. A soldier trying very hard not to kill civilians, but who is part of a major combat operation where by state policy, the national leadership has accepted some level of civilian collateral is not the same as a murderer who takes time to try to kill and injure civilians. If a tank crew member shoots at a guy with an ATGM, and that shot also kills 3 civilians he can't see or doesn't identify one room over, that is not the same as a military planner deciding that he will bomb an entire building with 100 civilians inside that he knows about, just because there is one ATGM team in a window of that building.

Saying the two are the same thing is letting murderers walk away with a clear conscience, because they aren't going to take that moral equivalence and say they're all bad guys, they use it to rationalize their crimes and murderous intent as something that everyone is doing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

We aren't talking about individual soldiers, we are talking military leaders. Military planners target civilians targets as a strategy in war. Every single military to ever get fielded. We aren't talking accidentally killing a civilian because you missed a shot. We are speaking different scales.

And those people already don't feel guilt.

Language like the below doesn't indict militaries effectively or reduce harm. It is the kind of argument that murderers use to justify their actions. "We all do this, it's normal, this is just how it is, oh well. If you didn't want to murder civilians, you shouldn't have joined or been drafted."

bulletsponge13 posted:

When it comes time, every single officer will channel LeMay and Cortez and slaughter half a city to take an objective that is nothing but ruins.

Imagine this is your going to war speech:
"Look, we purposefully target and kill civilians. It's what we do. Let's face it, it's what every armed force on the planet does. We all purposefully target and kill civilians. That is normal behavior, and every other leader to your left and right would do it, too. It is normal. It is just how the world works and how war works. So just remember that purposefully targeting and killing civilians is normal and everyone does it. Now, the only morally clean way out is to desert the forces or refuse orders, and if you do that I am prepared to have you formally punished by the state. Now let's go to war."

That's a dogshit message! It is the message that gives cover to murderers and immoral and ethically bankrupt decision-making. It is a message that normalizes killing civilians and disregarding harm to civilians. Even if someone gave that speech with the hope in their heart of hearts that the whole military would lay down their arms and say no, they embrace pacificism, that would be just naïve and really crappy communication skills.

Even if you believe that any given head of state is willing to engage in practices that have high levels of collateral damage to the point of being indiscriminate or outright targeting civilians, telling military leadership "it is normal to purposefully target and kill civilians" is in practicality a way to increase damage to civilians, not some pacifistic truth-telling that will make everyone lay down their arms and say "drat, makes you think."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
At the strategic level, leader guidance matters. A president telling his armed forces “go purposefully target civilians; it’s just normal,” is rather different from a president telling the military “targeting civilians is illegal and you will be punished if you do it.”

In the middle area is that if you are a country that has procedures to reduce harm at the tactical/operational level but you strategically insert yourself into a large number of sprawling conflicts, is your operational care just window dressing for your strategic desire to use lethal force overseas to impose your will? Is that model worse than a sloppy, indisciplined military that commits a lot more civilian abuse per engagement, but has only been in one war in the last 70 years or whatever? Maybe!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/john_hudson/status/1713318391157604431?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

I knew a change to this stance was only a matter of time but still…

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The World Health Organization posted:

Evacuation orders by Israel to hospitals in northern Gaza are a death sentence for the sick and injured

As the
@UN
's agency responsible for public health, the World Health Organization (WHO) strongly condemns Israel's repeated orders for the evacuation of 22 hospitals treating more than 2000 inpatients in northern Gaza. The forced evacuation of patients and health workers will further worsen the current humanitarian and public health catastrophe.

The lives of many critically ill and fragile patients hang in the balance: those in intensive care or who rely on life support; patients undergoing hemodialysis; newborns in incubators; women with complications of pregnancy, and others all face imminent deterioration of their condition or death if they are forced to move and are cut off from life-saving medical attention while being evacuated.

Health facilities in northern Gaza continue to receive an influx of injured patients and are struggling to operate beyond maximum capacity. Some patients are being treated in corridors and outdoors in surrounding streets due to a lack of hospital beds.

Forcing more than 2000 patients to relocate to southern Gaza, where health facilities are already running at maximum capacity and unable to absorb a dramatic rise in the number patients, could be tantamount to a death sentence.

Hospital directors and health workers are now facing an agonizing choice: abandon critically ill patients amid a bombing campaign, put their own lives at risk while remaining on site to treat patients, or endanger their patients’ lives while attempting to transport them to facilities that have no capacity to receive them.

Overwhelmingly, caregivers have chosen to stay behind and honor their oaths as health professionals to “do no harm,” rather than risk moving their critically ill patients during evacuations. Health workers should never have to make such impossible choices.

Additionally, tens of thousands of displaced people in northern Gaza are seeking refuge in open spaces in or around hospitals, treating them as havens from violence as well as to protect the facilities from potential attacks. Their lives, too, are at risk when health facilities are bombed.

There are verified reports of deaths of health care workers and destruction of health facilities, which denies civilians the basic human right of life-saving health care and is prohibited under International Humanitarian Law.

WHO calls for Israel to immediately reverse evacuation orders to hospitals in northern Gaza, and calls for the protection of health facilities, health workers, patients, and civilians.

WHO also reiterates its calls for the immediate and safe delivery of medical supplies, fuel, clean water, food, and other humanitarian aid into Gaza through the Rafah crossing, where life-saving assistance, including WHO health supplies that arrived earlier today, is currently awaiting entry.

https://x.com/WHO/status/1713277138437038573?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Like I said, Israel has a bad reputation does not = any sort of answer to what happened.

While I've been slower to jump to a conclusion (also if Israel did it or not, they are still directly responsible for the deaths of thousands of civilians and cutting water and humanitarian access to civilians in collective punishment), it did not help that a social media advisor to PM Netanyahu and a reserve IDF member posted this, in response to the incident:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Don't Ask posted:

There are enough terrible things that we did do, no need to go to great lengths for that unfortunately...

It’s true that Israel has committed war crimes and engaged in illegal collective punishment of civilians, proudly, even without mention of the hospital. So if somehow we could know 100000% that Israel was not responsible for the hospital, you still end up with dozens of other Israeli attacks on medical facilities and healthcare workers, civilians, and cutting off good water and electricity to civilians and humanitarian medical and aid supply systems.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

You're correct, but the issue is that nobody in power in the Arab world cared about any of those other things.

Well, this simply is not true, jfc,

I hven’t seen an :ironicat: this heavy handed in a long time. Saying “gee, it is shocking how everyone else (not me) is stuck in their own narrative bubble (but not me)”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

If it's not true,

Dude, you have a LOT of work to do to make a coherent argument that Arab leaders did not care about Israel’s actions over the last two weeks, until the hospital.

Personally, rather than doing that work, I recommend you just admit you wrote something very ignorant and untrue.

It is not going to be hard for poster after poster to dogpile you with evidence that leaders of Arab-led countries (and other countries) did not approve of Israel’s collective punishments and striking civilians over the last couple weeks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

You're correct, but the issue is that nobody in power in the Arab world cared about any of those other things.

This statement is such a profoundly incorrect statement, and it's the peak of :ironicat: for accusing people of being uninformed and living in media bubbles. Your statement is not is not about some mysterious lack of evidence or difficult circumstances, it's a point of view that is only possible either through reading no news at all or trying to push forward a very specific point of view. Don't tell me to "calm down" just because you wrote a very plainly untrue thing and got called on it. If you post obvious falsehoods, you should expect people to notice that. This is why I gave you a chance to pull back your comment, but you doubled down while also changing the subject away from Israel's response in the last 2 weeks and instead decided you wanted to address a different topic.

Here's Saudi Arabia putting its normalization with Israel on hold multiple days before the hospital.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/14/saudi-arabia-puts-israel-deal-on-ice-amid-war-engages-with-iran-report

quote:

The first source familiar with Riyadh’s thinking said talks could not be continued for now and the issue of Israeli concessions for the Palestinians would need to be a bigger priority when discussions resumed – a comment that indicates Riyadh has not abandoned the idea.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/jordans-king-palestinian-leader-warn-against-escalation-gaza-2023-10-12/

Jordan posted:

AMMAN, Oct 12 (Reuters) - Jordan's King Abdullah and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called on Thursday for steps to prevent a deterioration in the Gaza crisis and they condemned what they called Israel's "collective punishment" of Palestinians.

In a statement after a meeting in Amman, they also warned against a "rise in violence and its spread" as a humanitarian crisis worsens amid Israel's intense bombing campaign in Gaza after a devastating cross-border attack by Hamas.

All of the statements below are from before the hospital.

Egypt posted:

Egypt: “The Arab Republic of Egypt warns of the dire dangers of the ongoing escalation between the Palestinian and Israeli sides, following a series of attacks against Palestinian cities. Egypt calls for exercising the utmost restraint and avoiding exposing civilians to further risks, warning of serious repercussions as a result of the escalation of violence, which would negatively affect the future of truce efforts. The Arab Republic of Egypt also calls on international actors involved in supporting efforts to resume the peace process to intervene immediately to stop the ongoing escalation, and urges Israel to stop attacks and provocative actions against the Palestinian people, and to adhere to the rules of international humanitarian law with regard to the responsibilities of the occupying state.”

Iraq posted:

Iraq: “Iraq affirms its firm position, as a people and a government, towards the Palestinian issue, and that it stands by the Palestinian people in achieving their aspirations and obtaining their full legitimate rights, and that injustice and the usurpation of these rights cannot produce sustainable peace. The operations carried out by the Palestinian people today are a natural result of the systematic oppression they have been subjected to since ancient times at the hands of the Zionist occupation authority, which has never adhered to international and UN resolutions. Therefore, we call on the international community to take action to put an end to the serious violations and restore the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people, which is still suffering from occupation, policies of racial discrimination, siege, transgression of sacred things, and violation of humanitarian values and principles. We warn of continued escalation within the Palestinian territories; because it will reflect on the stability of the region, we also call on the League of Arab States to convene urgently to discuss developments in the dangerous situation in the Palestinian territories.”

Jordan posted:

Jordan: “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriate Affairs stressed today the need to stop the dangerous escalation in Gaza and its surroundings, and warned of the dangerous repercussions of this escalation, which threatens to further escalate the situation, especially in light of the Israeli attacks and violations witnessed by cities and regions in the West Bank on the Palestinian people, and on Islamic and Christian sanctities and deprivation of the Palestinian people of their rights. The Ministry warned in a statement of the consequences of this escalation on all efforts to achieve comprehensive calm, and stressed the need for restraint, protection of civilians, and respect for international humanitarian law. The Ministry stressed that the escalation of violence in all its forms and the continued escalation will lead to worse and will reflect negatively on everyone. The Ministry stressed that finding a real political horizon to achieve peace on the basis of a two-state solution in accordance with international legitimacy resolutions, in a way that ends the occupation and embodies the independent, sovereign Palestinian state, with East Jerusalem as its capital, on the lines of June 4, 1967, so that it can live in security and peace alongside Israel and stop Israeli measures that perpetuate the occupation and undermine opportunities to achieve just and comprehensive peace is the only way to stop the deterioration and achieve security for all.”

Kuwait posted:

Kuwait: “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed the State of Kuwait’s deep concern about the developments of recent events and the escalation taking place in the Gaza Strip and the occupied Palestinian territories, which came as a result of the continued violations and blatant attacks committed by the Israeli occupation authorities against the brotherly Palestinian people. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs affirms the State of Kuwait’s call on the international community, especially the [United Nations] Security Council, to assume its responsibilities and stop the ongoing violence, provide protection for the brotherly Palestinian people, and end the provocative practices of the occupation authorities, especially the ongoing violations of the sanctity of the Blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque, and the policy of settlement expansion. While the Ministry of Foreign Affairs affirms the firm and principled position of the State of Kuwait in standing by the brotherly Palestinian people and supporting them until they obtain all their rights, the most important of which is their independent state on the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital, it warns that the continuation of the cycle of violence without stopping it and deterring those who caused it would undermine peace efforts and a two-state solution.”

Qatar posted:

Qatar: “The State of Qatar expresses its deep concern over the developments in [the] Gaza Strip and calls on all parties to de-escalate, and exercise maximum restraint. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs holds Israel solely responsible for the ongoing escalation due to its ongoing violations of the rights of the Palestinian people, the latest of which was the repeated incursions into Al-Aqsa Mosque under the protection of the Israeli police. The Ministry stresses the need for the international community to act [urgently] to compel Israel to stop its flagrant violations of international law, respect the resolutions of international legitimacy and the historical rights of the Palestinian people, and to prevent these events from being used as a pretext to ignite a new asymmetric war against Palestinian civilians in Gaza. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterates the firm position of the State of Qatar regarding the justice of the Palestinian cause, and the legitimate rights of the brotherly Palestinian people, and to establish their independent state on the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.”

Algeria posted:

Algeria: “Algeria is following with great concern the development of the brutal Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip, which claimed the lives of dozens of innocent sons and daughters of the Palestinian people who fell as martyrs in light of the Zionist occupation’s persistence in the policy of oppression and persecution that it imposes on the brave Palestinian people. Algeria strongly condemns these policies and practices that violate the most basic humanitarian rules and references to international legitimacy. In this context, Algeria renews its demand for the immediate intervention of the international community through the relevant international bodies to protect the Palestinian people from the arrogance and crime that the Zionist occupation has made a feature of its occupation of the Palestinian territories. Algeria also renews its conviction that the Zionist settlement occupation is the core of the Arab-Israeli conflict and that ending the misfortunes, scourges and tragedies resulting from this conflict undoubtedly lies in responding to the legitimate national rights of the Palestinian people and enabling them to establish their independent state on the 1967 borders with Al-Quds Al-Sharif [Jerusalem] as its capital.”

There are some other countries that make a more generic "everyone should de-escalate" without being terribly clear about which side they blame more.

UAE is probably the most friendly to Israel in their statement, but you didn't just call out UAE.

UAE, October 10 posted:

Updated UAE statement, October 10: “The Ministry stressed that attacks by Hamas against Israeli towns and villages near the Gaza Strip, including the firing of thousands of rockets at population centers, are a serious and grave escalation. The Ministry is appalled by reports that Israeli civilians have been abducted as hostages from their homes. Civilians on both sides must always have full protection under international humanitarian law and must never be a target of conflict. The UAE expressed its condolences to the families of the victims and urges all diplomatic efforts to prevent a wider regional confrontation. Furthermore, the Ministry deeply mourns the loss of Israeli and Palestinian lives as a result of the outbreak of violence, and calls on both parties to de-escalate and avoid an expansion of the heinous violence with tragic consequences affecting civilian lives and facilities. The UAE underscored that the international community needs to work together to prevent the violence risking wider instability and spillover, including the involvement by other groups. The UAE reaffirmed that the international community must remain resolute in the face of these violent attempts to derail ongoing regional efforts aimed at dialogue, cooperation, and co-existence, and must not allow nihilistic destruction to overtake a region whose people have already suffered enough war and trauma. The Ministry stressed that the UAE remains in close contact with all regional and international partners to swiftly de-escalate the situation and restore calm in Israel and the OPT [occupied Palestinian territories] and a return to negotiations for a final settlement within the parameters of the two state solution for Palestinians and Israelis, who deserve to live in peace and dignity.”

E:

psydude posted:

Hamas' propaganda victory around this [hospital] specific incident has made it impossible for them to quietly side with Israel against Hamas and makes it more difficult for the US and other countries to pressure Israel into a diplomatic solution.

If you think the specific hospital story is "this specific" reason that countries are calling out Israel, you are ignoring all these statements and the maneuvering well before the hospital.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 19, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Don't Ask posted:

I'll be honest, I haven't been thinking straight since 07/10 so I may be missing a barb in your post, but basically yeah.

I was not needling you in that post. Just talking the fact that whoever is responsible for the hospital, while it is a big news story, it’s unfortunately a small fraction of the collective punishment and casualties inflicted on civilians in Palestine in the wake of the Hamas terror attacks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Did you miss my most recent post,

Yeah, to be honest with you, I am not sure what topic you are addressing, really. I was talking about the 2023 war in the 2023 Hamas/Israeli War thread, which is why I was referencing the most recent cutting of water, the hospital incident, etc. Then you change subjects to 5 years ago. Then you changed subjects again to 2006 in the more recent post I didn't see.

I am glad that you now acknowledge that it is not true that the hospital is the specific point at which Arab countries argued against Israel's conduct in Gaza and Palestine. Your post calling out the hospital incident as the "specific" point at which Arab led countries started to "care" about Israel's behavior indicated a contrary position.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If anyone's curious, this is the non-partisan FAQ built for members of congress as of 13 October 23 on the issue.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R47754

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

When did they say they did it?

A social media advisor to PM Netanyahu and member of the IDF (Naftali) initially claimed Israel did the strike justifiably because Hamas operatives were in the hospital.

Then he deleted his tweet within the hour and said someone else did it.

E: if you're asking about contradictions, the IDF used a video from 2022 and also a video time-stamped offset from the attack to say those were the strikes on the hospital. Both of these claims were proven to be untrue. After that, the IDF dropped them as evidence before settling on the latest explanations.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 19, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This won’t tell you who did it, but it will point out inconsistencies in various stories.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1715020457324290336?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

https://www.channel4.com/news/who-was-behind-the-gaza-hospital-blast-visual-investigation

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

mrmcd posted:

Israel will never be able to start the ground invasion because they'll have a constant backlog of all US state governors just cycling through the country a week at a time.

A good way to de-escalate. Just nonstop VIP visits.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/centcom/status/1715928363624521761?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

Carrier was previously announced. New announcement is deployment of Army air defense units to CENTCOM, plus unspecified orders put on PTDO.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Meanwhile, NYT disagrees with their video analysis (but doesn’t know what exactly happened)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/24/world/middleeast/gaza-hospital-israel-hamas-video.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

destroys the rapport that's been slowly building up.

I feel like minute zero after the Hamas attack had a lot of rapport and support, and it all started eroding in the weeks to follow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

What the actual gently caress. How/why would you be required to do this?

“Loyalyty pledge” is a derogatory term used by people opposed to the stupid law.

Texas and a bunch of states require that a company certifies it does not expressly boycott Israeli products, if signing a contract with Texas for Texas government money to be paid to the company.

The courts have ruled a few different ways over the years, but it is largely an unenforceable culture bullshit law.

https://www.courthousenews.com/fifth-circuit-parses-texas-ban-on-boycotting-israel/

Also it’s a fumb thing where there is no boycott pledge for Texas direct employees, just for contractors paid by the Texas government.

It is all very dumb and rather toothless, but I understand that some people refuse on principal to just lie to Texas in order to get a contract.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

The conditions in gaza suck, but they aren't untenable at all.

Oh really. https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2022/03/israels-55-year-occupation-palestinian-territory-apartheid-un-human-rights
https://www.hrw.org/report/2021/04/27/threshold-crossed/israeli-authorities-and-crimes-apartheid-and-persecution

And we'll take a look at the West Bank while we're here: https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2022/12/israel-un-experts-condemn-record-year-israeli-violence-occupied-west-bank

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

Okay I'm responding specifically to the claim that this was a deliberate attempt to provoke a gotterdammerung style final battle over the status of Gaza. Which it absolutely was not.

e: also the Palestinian people might be desperate, but it does an enormous disservice to the leadership of Hamas to just wave your arms and say the October 7th attacks were an act of despair. It was a well planned and deliberate act with a strategy behind it and I don't think it's useful not to engage with the reality of that.

Your argument is starting to make a slightly more sense now that you pulled out an industrial sized set of these bad boys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

This is the norm for huge portions of the world. It’s not great but cities have operated for decades in see these exact conditions without constant cholera outbreaks. The expectation of anything but constant running water being unacceptably dangerous is a very western idea to me and I’ve personally lived in two different countries where it’s not only the norm but somewhat of a luxury to get anything more than 2 hours of “pipe” a day.

There is a difference between lack of clean water due to decades long infrastructure problems in undeveloped areas and Israel’s deliberate cutting of supplies like food and water to Gaza as a policy.

The UN, Human Rights Watch, AI, etc, refer to the situation as apartheid. It’s not the same as Gaza just happening not to have clean water, because it’s an undeveloped country.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

Not sure what you’re responding to in my post but yeah I agree with you.

I’m more saying that juche’s argument was overstating the capability and breadth of US intel capability. There are so many things that are unknown or only kind of guessed at or that the US gets flat wrong.

I wouldn’t take US gov silence on an issue as evidence that they know something but just elect not to share it.

E: wrong thread reply I think.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 12, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Any argument that Gaza just sucks, but it's tenable, or "well, they have bad water in other parts of Earth, too" isn't going to illuminate the current situation.

The UN, HRW, and others have been pointing out that the last year or two have been exceptionally violent ones, when it comes to Palestinians being killed or dehoused, prior to the October 7 attack. There has been conflict escalation brewing for a while.

And an argument that there is unclean water elsewhere in the world isn't a great one to deploy when discussing a strip of land militarily enclosed by Israel (and Egypt, in part), which is described by human rights orgs and the UN as apartheid or an open-air prison. Yes, there are other towns and areas without clean water, but if a wealthy modernized country encloses one tiny area and ensures there is no clean water or reliable fuel supply there, they might take it a little bit more personally than if they were part of some large stretch of a community or nation where no one had proper clean water access. It's a bit more agitating when you can look over the fence or use the internet to see that you are being deliberately deprived of resources. The disparity and deliberate policy is a key part of the situation; people are not just saying that that lack of clean water simply makes people become violent.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2023/gaza-rising-death-toll-civilians/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f005

quote:

More than 11,100 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since Oct. 7, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. While there is no breakdown between fighters and civilians, most of the dead are women and children.

In just a little over a month of war, that amounts to over 0.5 percent of Gaza’s more than 2 million people.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Syria seems like a major undercount. At least a half million people died in like the first few years of the war.

UN has the estimate at around 308,000 civilians dead as a result of conflict in Syria as of 2022.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/stories/2023/05/behind-data-recording-civilian-casualties-syria

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

12k deaths would be around 4% of that total.

Which does seem too low. Like Gaza, Syria (indeed, most of the middle east) has a very young population. I'm not sure what the definition of child is but if it's under 18 it would include a sizable number of fighters which would also push that number up.

I cannot personally vouch for the specific numbers in that chart. If you read the WaPo article you can click their references.

UNICEF puts the number of dead children in Syria at 13,000 instead of 12,000 as of spring 2022.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of the differences with Syria is that 2.5 million refugees left, with a large portion being women and children. But refugees can’t really leave Gaza.

If someone has other numbers, feel free. I am just going with what the UN and humanitarian aid organizations have as the best estimate.

One of the anti-government Syrian groups puts the number of children killed in Syria around 25,000 as of 2022, rather than the 13,000 estimated by UNICEF.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Also, if you see someone arguing in bad faith or trolling, report them and move on, there’s no need to engage.

You jump at shadows a lot. You’ve probed people for “posting about posters” when the post was just a response to a claim and included zero personal attack.

Trap sprung, I guess, cause now I am posting about moderator, but I figured this was better than reporting your post to you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://x.com/jordanuhl/status/1725340407670915379?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

While we’re talking about wild claims, how about “none of the dead kids are the result of Israeli action.”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

new details out

- The houthis performed a helicopter raid to take over the ship, they flew there and rappelled their guys onto the ship to take it over

- there were 56 crew on board

56 crew is an abnormally large number for a ship like this. Where are you reading that number?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

houthis announce that many of the crew aboard the ship they captured were Israelis using dual passports, which is a common practice for israelis because theyre all colonialists.

=====

A leader in the Ansar Allah group ⁧‫#الحوثيين‬⁩ told Al Jazeera: Preliminary investigations indicate that Israelis of other nationalities were on board the ship

https://x.com/ajarabic/status/1726267687528177775?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

This read more like trolling to me. When the IDF says they bombed a bunch of non-combatants, but actually the IDF claims they were double secret agents of Hamas, this reads like the same kind of claim out of the Houthis, not like they actually found that a bunch of secret Israelis were working as deckhands.

You have been biting on some questionable sourcing. Like did you ever come back with where you heard that there were 56 crew on board the ship?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here is reporting on the deal and how it came to be. Qatar has a very interesting kind of city-state position where they hosted the Taliban leadership, host some Hamas leadership, also host the USCENTCOM forward headquarters and one of the larger US airbases in the region.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-israel-hamas-war-hostage-qatar-0126c6443a9b3b32fe97032b81eaa515

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
3.5 years of blockade. It was costly and Qatar made significant investment in self-sustainment during that time (stuff like indoor farming etc).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
People have less of a problem with the idea that some number of Israeli civilians were killed by friendly fire (seems very likely that somewhere and in some number that occurred, on the day of the Hamas attack! And it's just a known certainty that thousands of civilians have been killed by the bombing campaign in Gaza), but people are balking at the idea, absent evidence, that over 50% of the deaths at the concert were at the hands of Israeli helicopter pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

If the footage is accurate, Getting that close shows a distinct lack of discipline and security.

It’s a small camera on a stick coming out of a hidden underground spiderhole.

Not sure manning the ECP and maintaining 360 is gonna cover all your bases in that environment.