Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

also two of the last scenes felt like a great sucker punch before the real ending fade to credits. if the last scene was just the radio drama I understand how it would upset people but it's not the final scene on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
KOTFM part 2?
Hale: origins
Molly and the multiverse of madness

But really the film by definition is quite long, though I never felt the length at least and was quite drawn in. I did have to take a pee break still (intermissions please)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The movie turning whiter and whiter as it goes on felt intentional to me. The Osage are literally being whipped out, and we see fewer and fewer native characters and meet more and more white characters. Mollie ends up truly alone, with all her family being killed. I took it as a metaphor for America as a whole. White people supplant the natives on screen the same way we did in history.

One thing I really commend this movie for is completely stripping away all the glitz and glamour and “cool” of its villainous protagonists. They’re some of the most evil people I have ever seen on screen, and so stupid and banal about it. There’s no mustache-twirling villainy. Just greed and amorality. It’s incredibly realistic.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i read the wikipedia synopsis, and it sounds like this shoulda been the movie where a bear rapes dicaprio

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
What did Anna say right before they shot her?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tenkaris posted:

What did Anna say right before they shot her?
I think she basically kept mumbling and repeating stuff like "you're gonna kill me. you're taking me here to kill me."

I'm still processing a lot of feelings about that specific moment along with Molly sorta knowing what's going on the entire time and powerlessly watching it play out. I think I love the decision, but I can see how it can feel... I dunno, unfair or something. It's just brutal in a way I've never seen in a movie.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
"If you kill me I'll kill you." or something like that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Undeniably well made and acted, but goddamn I checked my phone at one point and only an hour had gone by and I had thought surely its been 2. Got really worried at that point but the second 2 hours went by a lot quicker than the first.

This movie just being a parade of the dumbest, most vile white ppl known to man was horrifying to watch. DeNiro especially, what a snake. Of course they all lived long, undeserved lives

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
that guy who killed his wife and her 2 kids..............

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I kept recognizing the one guy from the gas station scene in No Country For Old Men

They did a good job making him look ghoulish though

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Fan-loving-tactic movie. Easiest the best “where are they now” segment Marty ever did.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

live with fruit posted:

I don't anticipate a lot of college students putting posters of Ernest Burkhart up in their dorm rooms.

no, but i do want that jacket.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

My Shawnee Nation friend sent me this post by her Osage friend

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/kdeveryjacobs/status/1716510735856009559

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

when the film flashes back to Anna just before the killing, which it does a few times throughout—it gets more and more heart breaking each time. like she continues to haunt the story. and then when the baby dies, its her name sake. real heavy

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

For added context, this is from one of the stars of Reservation Dogs

https://ew.com/movies/reservation-dogs-star-devery-jacobs-slams-killers-of-the-flower-moon-hellfire-dehumanizes/

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
that was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Scorcese really is THAT DUDE

E: this movie reminded me of a book I read in 2020:

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250179821/theendofthemyth

Honestly fantastic book and puts so much into perspective. The "frontier" was such a brutal and dark time.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 25, 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I mean, yeah, I get it. Growing up Jewish diaspora makes it hard to stomach Holocaust movies.

But I also can't completely discard the idea that for some people, a good movie on the Holocaust might genuinely be their first real exposure to the story.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I had this feeling when the FBI agents were introduced like a different, more conventional movie collided with this one. Then I learned the screenplay originally centered on their investigation, with DiCaprio playing Jesse Plemons' character, until it got rewritten. Dodged a bullet there huh. It's a way more interesting movie for focusing on Ernest and Mollie, and making clear what he's doing at the start.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The idea that the white guys planning the killings were given "courtesy and depth" in any capacity, let alone more than the Osage characters, is really hard for me to understand in that critique. To some extent Ernest has complexity but only insofar as it's necessary to explain why Molly would even be interested in him. Beyond that all the killers are just unredeemable garbage.

Like beyond Ernest seeming to genuinely love Molly at times I can't think of a single moment of courtesy given to the killers. It's actually insane how straightforwardly they're portrayed as pure evil, and yet imo how well that works.

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 25, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Earnest states “he loves money almost as much as he loves his wife.” Of course we see that the opposite is true. That’s his depth: he loves moneys and women as he told Hale at the beginning. You could argue that he thought the other murders were just helping his family secure a fortune, but by the time he’s poisoning Molly he’s made his priorities clear.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

checkplease posted:

Earnest states “he loves money almost as much as he loves his wife.” Of course we see that the opposite is true. That’s his depth: he loves moneys and women as he told Hale at the beginning. You could argue that he thought the other murders were just helping his family secure a fortune, but by the time he’s poisoning Molly he’s made his priorities clear.

Mustache Guy becoming sort of friends with the depressed Osage dude and still killing him is Ernest and Molly's relationship in a microcosm.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 25, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Was hoping not to read spoilers drat

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yo please spoiler up your posts

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Those fuckers killed the flower moon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This movie didn't have to be 3.5 hours. No movie does. It's a blurring of lines between TV and movies that all movies are this long now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

normally i would agree that no movie should be long but Scorsese gets a pass because he's like the only good filmmaker left

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This movie didn't have to be 3.5 hours. No movie does. It's a blurring of lines between TV and movies that all movies are this long now.

is this a source your quote

"No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

is this a source your quote

"No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough."

i love Ebert and i know everyone loves this quote but it's not true, there are definitely good movies that are too long lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

normally i would agree that no movie should be long but Scorsese gets a pass because he's like the only good filmmaker left

Taxi Driver was under 2 hours. The Departed was 2:30. He knows how to edit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Taxi Driver was under 2 hours. The Departed was 2:30. He knows how to edit.

he actually doesn't, that's why he lets Thelma Schoonmaker do it

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he actually doesn't, that's why he lets Thelma Schoonmaker do it

guess who edited this one

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I wouldn’t have cut a scene.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I liked it a whole lot but I'll echo that it was too long. I went in with a different mindset: I actually had no knowledge of the historicity of the actual characters, just the events of the Osage murders. From the trailer, it felt like Earnest was a more heroic character and he was going to turn and defend Mollie (that scene on the stairs was a key image from the trailer). Instead, it was three and a half hours of just bad people doing bad things. Horrifying and heartwrenching and beautifully filmed.

The scene with Earnest coming into the room full of whites with the lawyer was like something out of a loving vampire movie. It was terrifying.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Irishman was way too long and was just kind of a mess of a movie to me. This one moved at a good pace and was probably the best I've seen Marty do with criminal scumbaggery drama since Goodfellas.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I loved Oppenheimer but it did feel like it dragged on compared to this somehow?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
We know the length before seeing it. Shouldn’t be a surprise that 3.5 hours is long. Mentally and physically prepare yourself accordingly.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

YaketySass posted:

Mustache Guy becoming sort of friends with the depressed Osage dude and still killing him is Ernest and Molly's relationship in a microcosm.

That’s a good point yeah. You can tell they want to be friends. But he just loves money. Hale may be similar. He talks about how great a friend he is to the Osage and keeps writing to them after he goes to prison. Loves them, but money comes first. American way, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Also a lot of them thought the Native people were basically another resource to mercilessly exploit as if they had discovered oil in their own backyard (of stolen land also). Basically treating them as if they were cattle… along with their actual cattle ranches.

Hale was basically a political boss for the small town, something that has kind of mostly gone away. Think Tammany Hall type stuff… basically proto mobster poo poo, but it’s all smiles because you are in the same Stonemasons chapter as the sheriff and poo poo.