Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

checkplease posted:

We know the length before seeing it. Shouldn’t be a surprise that 3.5 hours is long. Mentally and physically prepare yourself accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Holy cow. I went in almost completely blind and was nowhere near prepared for how heavy the film wound up being. I consider myself decently well-read when it comes to history but had never heard of the events in the movie before--glad that Scorsese was able to tell that story to such a wide audience, and he clearly has a deep sense of respect and sympathy for the Osage Nation.

It feels like there's been something of a trend lately that irks me, almost like a Gone With The Wind-style whitewashing (pun intended) of history for the #woke crowd--e.g., that meme about Hamilton being a bunch of jaunty songs about slaveowners. This took the exact opposite approach and put all of the ugliness and evil of racism front and center, and it's brutally effective. I'm having trouble thinking of a movie that's as rough of a watch, emotionally speaking.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mcmagic posted:

This movie didn't have to be 3.5 hours. No movie does. It's a blurring of lines between TV and movies that all movies are this long now.

Maybe you should get good at watching movies

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
https://twitter.com/AppleFilms/status/1717284918647025724

Apple's twitter account (very cattily) to the rescue lol

Edit: I guess this technically is a kind of spoiler but come on y'all why are you looking at this thread if you haven't seen it

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 26, 2023

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Admiral Bosch posted:

https://twitter.com/AppleFilms/status/1717284918647025724

Apple's twitter account (very cattily) to the rescue lol

Edit: I guess this technically is a kind of spoiler but come on y'all why are you looking at this thread if you haven't seen it

I loved that he was sitting next to De Niro as Leo walks in but I absolutely did not notice Fraser in the first shot and audibly gasped and laughed a bit with the shot and that line. It ruled.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There was definitely a positive reaction at Frasier's first lines as people realized it was him.

And I thought he just had a fat suit on for The Whale

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I love him so much

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
My audience loved Fraser. There were happy sounds when he showed up and started doing his thing

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
People who complain about Fraser erupting out of his seat in that scene are boring.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/10/the-strange-but-true-story-of-the-pioneer-womans-link-to-killers-of-the-flower-moon

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Lithgow was my late-movie acting treat. Kind of felt it was a redemption for his sad character arc in the Perry Mason reboot.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It was a nice surprise when he turned up. Rewatching it in IMAX you can really see the spittle fly once he gets going.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I liked how Ernest is played and written as kinda stupid. Not to the extent that it exonerates him at all, but you can tell he needs things explained to him slowly.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I liked how Ernest is played and written as kinda stupid. Not to the extent that it exonerates him at all, but you can tell he needs things explained to him slowly.

You can tell he's juuuust almost smart enough to not sign the paper

Also they never say it directly but was Hale behind the death of the daughter? He acted really upset about that pregnancy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The man has still got it. I would have liked an intermission to piss, but he kept it compelling all the way through, the opening with the reels and the ending is some inspired work. Lily Gladstone earned her future Best Actress win something I wouldn't have guessed she'd have been capable of after The Unknown Country where she's good but not great. De Niro wins the movie for me though, it's insane that the man can do so much gutter work for decades then slip right back into the greatest living actor when the role suits it; his character is so intensely charming, domineering, and patriarchal you can see how people are so willing to bend their will to his at the drop of a hat. Of the sort of American-as-character representations only Daniel Plainview and perhaps Butcher Bill are equal, just a truly amazing piece of acting.

About the ending I almost felt for Leo's character, he's so weak willed and easily tempted he's managed to convince himself that he can love his wife and kids and still kill his entire extended family for dosh. The man even convinces himself that he's only giving Molly insulin even after King tries to step up the poisoning. You can tell that in those moments he's fully gaslit himself into believing the line of bullshit about it slowing her down, even as she gets worse and worse and it isn't until he experiences the loss of his own Daughter that he suddenly realizes exactly what he's been doing to these people. And then he can admit it all and claim a clear conscious until Molly calls him on the shots. Even after all the lies and murder he's already admitted to, without a deal, only hoping to save his soul he still can't admit to himself or her that he was killing her just like he did her sisters. Same with King who ends up still trying to ingratiate himself with the Osage after his pardon. They might have been cleared by the temporal powers of earth, but because they cannot admit the full level of culpability and guilt they aren't allowed to pass own peacefully to the next life as the Osage did.

Also someone up thread said the kind of small town political bosses like King don't exist anymore, they absolutely do, you just don't hear about them.
Secondly this movie is basically doing what Boardwalk Empire was trying to do.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Tenkaris posted:

Also they never say it directly but was Hale behind the death of the daughter? He acted really upset about that pregnancy.

The book touches on this second point: Hale was believed to be the father of Anna Brown's unborn child but I don't think it was ever verified

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

mcmagic posted:

This movie didn't have to be 3.5 hours. No movie does. It's a blurring of lines between TV and movies that all movies are this long now.

I saw this with my movie buddy who is extremely uppidy about movie lengths. 2:30 gets a sideeye from him and 2:45 is unwatchable unless it's life changing. We walked out of this and he said "That felt like it was 90 minutes long."

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Tenkaris posted:

I assumed she was poisoned together with her mother during the pregnancy, and her being “sickly” was the result of the jabs on the mother.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am pretty sure it was a) racism of "interbreeding" and b) more people he knew he had to get out of the way before the money flowed to him via Ernst's will.

Maybe 30/70 on each, but who knows? I like that it was there at all though.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Concurred posted:

The book touches on this second point: Hale was believed to be the father of Anna Brown's unborn child but I don't think it was ever verified

The movie suggests that as well

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

jeeves posted:

I am pretty sure it was a) racism of "interbreeding" and b) more people he knew he had to get out of the way before the money flowed to him via Ernst's will.

Maybe 30/70 on each, but who knows? I like that it was there at all though.

Yeah I took it as he’s like drat, another kid to kill. Didn’t seem like he was going to wait on the money much longer

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
A good Letterboxd review from a member of the Osage tribe.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
fully admit to getting inordinately excited when John Lithgow shows up late in the movie, as I had no idea he was in it (well, I probably read a review at some point that mentioned his role, but had completely forgotten about it)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh god. My mom was (is) a white woman born in Osage County during WW2. Her parents and beloved aunts/uncles were the age of principals in this movie. The opening scenes driving through the places I saw annually were overwhelming. I saw it in Dolby Cinema, so a more powerful presentation than home, the Dolby Cinema imaging wasn’t really utilized but the Atmos sound was, most noticeably powerfully in the end credits. See it in IMAX or any theater that has Atmos if you can.

Still absorbing a lot of this, including my own family’s complicity with my grandfather rising from a starving depression-era oakie to a respected oil field worker foreman that could send not just his son but also his daughter to college.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I suddenly got a disturbing thought about all the people who claimed being 1/8 or 1/16 Native American back in high school

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I suddenly got a disturbing thought about all the people who claimed being 1/8 or 1/16 Native American back in high school

if it makes you feel better thats usually a lie

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

BigglesSWE posted:

I assumed she was poisoned together with her mother during the pregnancy, and her being “sickly” was the result of the jabs on the mother.

Ah yeah, that makes sense

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

The owls were done well enough to be very off putting.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Maxwell Lord posted:

He's constantly pursing out is lower lip in a way that kind of makes him look like a chimpanzee. The character's just kind of an idiot.

Also Leo's in his late 40s playing a guy in his 20s, and DeNiro's in his 80s playing a guy in his 40s, and that's never off-putting or awkward any time they're on screen. Loved it, cinematography was gorgeous, see it on a very big screen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I did get some bad flashbacks of Irishman for a second when I saw Leo wearing the driver's cap, him being less old and better at playing young and dumb helped a lot.

I love how they frame Leo and De Niro. King is always totally dominating Leo's character, he's larger than him, encroaching on him, leering over him and cornering him. Even in the few occasions when Leo tries to talk back, like when Leo goes to tell him the FBI is in town, he quickly gets Leo isolated, quiet, and compliant.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I read the book, which I thought wasn't that great just in terms of the writing, but the actual historical material was fascinating and I was eager to see it handled in a different medium by a different artist (or artists, since movies are so much a collaboration). I think any movie this long is going to be held to a harsh standard for pacing, and compared to the Irishman this movie is a pacing masterpiece. Fantastic movie, it's beautiful, and while I'd never call a four hour movie tautly written, it's leagues above The Irishman in pacing. And frankly, it's not like Martin Scorsese is going to make many more movies, so he can make them as long as he wants to, because I'll just want more of then once he's gone.

I know the ages aren't right in that DiCaprio and DeNiro are both about twice as old as they should be, but it works in hollywood logic because they're both of the correction generation for their characters - DeNiro actually is the older statesman to DiCaprio.

Regarding Molly's seeming inaction, this is a major theme of the movie that several scenes allude to. Remember what Hale said about the Osage? How they just sit and watch and don't say much? And remember the scene where, when she's warming to Earnest, Molly tells him to just sit and be silent during the storm, and she can exist in that space and he can't? That all comes to a head in their final scene together. She doesn't have to say anything; she knows what she needs to know and she leaves.

Also, ya'll. Earnest is dumb as bricks and she doesn't confide a lot of stuff in him because he's stupid. She's a rich, intelligent woman who thought she was marrying a good hearted himbo.

Edit: Oh, was the narration in the book Earnest was reading DiCaprio doing an Osage accent? I genuinely couldn't tell, it sounded maybe close to his voice but maybe also just someone else?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 29, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
No, it's related to him indignantly saying to Hale "I can read!" but it's clear he's not very good at it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that fits, that sort of halting speech pattern sounds a like an old timey racist native american accent, but you're probably right that it's just him stumbling through.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I appreciate that the last couple Scorsese movies had the female leads smarter than Leo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think that's debatable for Departed and Wolf and untrue of Shutter Island. Sure you aren't thinking Leo was in Irishman

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Watched it a third time, on a Dolby/Atmos screen this time - the rain sounds over the end credits were really good but to be honest I couldn't really tell the difference in the audio anywhere else. Still didn't feel like 3.5 hours - looked at my watch once Jesse Plemon appears on screen and I was still surprised two hours had passed, and the last 90 minutes raced by.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

my favorite small part that stood for the whole was the innocuous introduction of the KKK in a way that never directly impacted the story. Every other movie would have had the KKK of a portent of tragedy but here it's just the same characters we've already met yukking it up in white hoods.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Nestharken posted:

This took the exact opposite approach and put all of the ugliness and evil of racism front and center, and it's brutally effective. I'm having trouble thinking of a movie that's as rough of a watch, emotionally speaking.

Yeah, this movie kicked the poo poo out of me and I'm still thinking about it a couple days later.

When the Tulsa massacre popped up all I could think of was that the Reign of Terror was like a slow, constant, horrible burn by comparison. Not that I know any better, but it's prompted me to order the book and learn more.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah, this movie kicked the poo poo out of me and I'm still thinking about it a couple days later.

When the Tulsa massacre popped up all I could think of was that the Reign of Terror was like a slow, constant, horrible burn by comparison. Not that I know any better, but it's prompted me to order the book and learn more.

One thing that struck me as the movie illustrated the oppressive atmosphere of fear that settled onto the osage community was that Jim Crow South is basically that situation, unchecked, for about a hundred years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
I thought this was a mostly bad movie, taken alone or especially in comparison to the book. Okay, I guess, too long definitely.
Lots of incredibly bad acting throughout. Obviously not the leads but every single side character seemed to be played by a musician or a non-actor and they loving stunk it up.
I think it was bold to throw out the mystery and procedural hooks of the book and replace it with a Scorsese rise-and-fall Goodfellas thing. Didn't really understand that one because there is a lack of tension unless you're really worried about Ernest being caught when he's just a bad guy from scene 1. Mollie was sidelined most of the time and Tom White was barely a character so all you're left with is Ernest.
What I liked about the film was the chemistry and scenes between the Ernest and Mollie and the first act crime stuff. It builds well and even if it didn't feel like it was going anywhere it still had forward momentum.
The actual mechanisms of head rights, mineral rights and guardians were poorly explained and does a lot more to explain why Osage people were marrying whites than out of love.
The FBI being just a plot device robbed the potency from any of their scenes. I guess we're not supposed to praise law enforcement anymore but the history and characters involved are really, really interesting so it felt like a missed opportunity. When they first showed up it actually breathed a little life into a movie that was starting to sag so I just felt like more could have been done.

It mostly looked good, the production design more-so than the actual feeling of the camerawork or framing of the shots. They blew it big time on the hats and I'm not sure why. A lot of them looked cheap and were anachronistic in their shape and quality.
I thought the score was godawful, and the constant drum pounding and bluesy harmonica felt like a stock asset.
The ending just like the cheap Tulsa comparisons was insulting. If you haven't directly tell the audience that you're doing Very Important work you have failed. This is a movie, not a non-fiction book but every theme and every moral lesson is stated outright and then at the end spoken directly to the audience.