Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man I know people are capable of convincing themselves of just about anything but it's wild to imagine someone deluding themselves that they love their wife while they're plotting to blow her sister up with dynamite and poison / shoot the rest of her immediate family.

Also, someone in my showing laughed really loud and then tried to cover it with a cough at the "it sounds like you're planning to adopt and murder these children" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

there was a lot of laughter at my screening, but only sometimes at the appropriate times.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Knowing nothing about the history going in, I found I went through quite a journey with DiCaprio's character, from sort of explicitly thinking he was going to be the down to earth hero of the film, to wondering if it was going to be some of white redemption story but also knowing that it was very much not that based on the reviews and it being 2023, to desperately hoping that wasn't the case. In the end you're forced to just grapple with the fact that it's a historical film and the terrible truth of what was done.

I think it is one of the best examples of a film being self conscious of the baggage many viewers will bring and working with that effectively.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also, someone in my showing laughed really loud and then tried to cover it with a cough at the "it sounds like you're planning to adopt and murder these children" part.

That got a big laugh at my showing, but in fairness, it is a loving great line.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It’s insane to see people act like the ending was like excusing what happened or that it was them congratulating themselves or whatever and not that it was supposed to be this deeply cynical ending where the FBI funded radio show with a cigarette sponsor gets to have the final say on what happened to these real people. Like that was very clearly the point.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I feel like it was also taking a dig at true crime in general. With so many wacky podcasts about real death these days.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marty has no idea what a podcast is

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
This film is wonderfully subtle. Spending about four hours in the same couple places, on or around main street, subconsciously establishing the residents of the town through slight interactions really helped both The end scene in the lodge and the scene where the old man relents what he saw to Jesse Plemons hit. Like, of course that man saw everything. There's nowhere else to go. The doctor's office is across the hall from the Masonic Lodge.

Also: Before the Explicit poisoning of the insulin, Molly has clearly been poisoned by the food. When she hears about her sister dying, she's at a French pastry cafe. The doctors warn her to eat less bacon etc., but what exactly is she supposed to be eating?

One thing I will say, despite the length it felt like some of the scenes were progressing too quickly. Like it was moving from one informational beat to the next, and while everything it was establishing was important I would have liked a little more time to sit with Ernest and Molly in their relationship. Although, more time might have undercut the ambiguity of Ernest's real feelings, so what do I know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Marty has no idea what a podcast is

Surely TikTok Star Martin Scorsese has some concept of them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The_Rob posted:

It’s insane to see people act like the ending was like excusing what happened or that it was them congratulating themselves or whatever and not that it was supposed to be this deeply cynical ending where the FBI funded radio show with a cigarette sponsor gets to have the final say on what happened to these real people. Like that was very clearly the point.

It's cynical but it's also kind of earnest - Scorsese does come on stage as part of that spectacle and make what seems to be a genuine, understated comment about how sad the whole affair is. He's part of the same tradition of outsiders telling this story even if he's trying to do a better job at it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think that was explicitly supposed to be funny, especially with the punchline of "Not if it wouldn't work"

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The last time I remember a framing piece like this is in Black KKKlansman actually. Are there any other films that do that sort of thing?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Asteroid city

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

muscles like this! posted:

I think that was explicitly supposed to be funny, especially with the punchline of "Not if it wouldn't work"

Yeah the delivery was definitely comedic, it was just awkward because he very quickly realized nobody else was laughing *quite* that hard.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gonna be seeing this one tonight cause it actually looks like I might get value out of a ticket for going to the theater again and hopefully see something of some substance and merit. First movie I've seen in theaters in god knows how long. Realistically could not say, I've been to the movies maybe 4-5 times in the last 20 years I feel like. It was probably Pacific Rim though, so like a solid decade ago.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 7, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should be in the theatre 4-5 times a week minimum

Kale
May 14, 2010

That movie definitely left way more of an impression on me than the Irishman I can say that much. Lily Gladstone stood out among titans too and was possibly the best part of the movie. I was thinking like 30 minutes into the movie I had to look up who this actress was that played Mollie.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 8, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wild

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i’m so happy for her

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I’m very happy Gladstone is getting recognition because I’ve been a fan since she was a major stand out in Certain Women, which also has a very impressive cast to be highlight of.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Froghammer posted:

He's constantly pursing out is lower lip in a way that kind of makes him look like a chimpanzee. The character's just kind of an idiot.

Also Leo's in his late 40s playing a guy in his 20s, and DeNiro's in his 80s playing a guy in his 40s, and that's never off-putting or awkward any time they're on screen. Loved it, cinematography was gorgeous, see it on a very big screen.

Scorsese's dedication to his leading men has its downsides yeah. If it weren't for technology it wouldn't have been possible with The Irishman at all even. Still though results are results, it was just weird for me when I put together De Niros age and the radio show reference that Hale lived like another 30-40 years after sentencing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gladstone is phenomenal in this. Hope she wins best actress, cause god drat. Subtle as hell and really sells a quiet confidence perfectly.

I hadn't looked up anything about the actual events, so the ending was a borderline relief for me - really felt they were going to get away with it completely. The FBI agents would lose in court or just decide to high five King for a good well done. That they actually saw prison time was a legit surprise, and brief catharsis after three hours of dread watching them sloppily annihilate these people.

Granted, they still did annihilate a lot of people, and both got pardons cause of course they loving did, but prison for a couple decades isn't nothing at least.

A very sad but striking flick.

The crowd in the theater I saw was a lot of old people, and BOY were they moaning and tutting during the movie. Particularly by the end, anytime someone said something horribly racist or inhumane there just this collective groan in disapproval that was kind of amazing. Like they fed off each other's energy so by the end every other line just saw this chorus of ten or so old ladies moaning and tsking. My own personal audience groantrack.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

what was the deal with henry and mollie not having access to their money because not being able bodied or whatever?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

right? It started with a group of colonial capitalists exploiting the Osage and ended with them even more powerful after shedding a few patsies.

the "come to Jesus" moment before the trial with all the lurking oil demons was the real core of the movie. those were the occluded main characters of the movie.

yeah that scene blew me away. just pulling the curtains away for a moment to show who the real villains are and how all the characters are just waaaaaay out their league

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

babypolis posted:

what was the deal with henry and mollie not having access to their money because not being able bodied or whatever?

https://www.history.com/news/osage-murders-reign-terror-husbands-guardians

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jesus christ this whole thing was just a carnaval of horros huh

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Gladstone is phenomenal in this. Hope she wins best actress, cause god drat. Subtle as hell and really sells a quiet confidence perfectly.

I hadn't looked up anything about the actual events, so the ending was a borderline relief for me - really felt they were going to get away with it completely. The FBI agents would lose in court or just decide to high five King for a good well done. That they actually saw prison time was a legit surprise, and brief catharsis after three hours of dread watching them sloppily annihilate these people.

Granted, they still did annihilate a lot of people, and both got pardons cause of course they loving did, but prison for a couple decades isn't nothing at least.

A very sad but striking flick.

The crowd in the theater I saw was a lot of old people, and BOY were they moaning and tutting during the movie. Particularly by the end, anytime someone said something horribly racist or inhumane there just this collective groan in disapproval that was kind of amazing. Like they fed off each other's energy so by the end every other line just saw this chorus of ten or so old ladies moaning and tsking. My own personal audience groantrack.
One thing really missing from the film is that the book ends with the revelation that while William Hale was punished there were dozens if not hundreds of murders that remained unsolved and a lot of them were not even counted as murders. The FBI agents were not really capable of investigating at the scale that was required and the bosses were happy to have someone to blame the whole thing on so they could take credit for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/culturecrave/status/1723081538668318844?s=46

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao, god I wish I could be the Social Media manager of a company. They meant spanking Leo but goddamn does it not come off like that.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Scones are Good posted:

I’m very happy Gladstone is getting recognition because I’ve been a fan since she was a major stand out in Certain Women, which also has a very impressive cast to be highlight of.

Agreed.

I saw it last night at a theater with the worlds shittiest old speakers which was a bummer. I don’t think I’ve left a movie in such a brutalized haze since… 12 Years a Slave? And somehow that had a more feel-good ending than this did, yeesh.

Anyway, a lot of positive feelings about this movie but specifically want to say that I *loved* the tribute to Jack Fisk’s work on Days of Heaven with Hale’s house (particularly the scene where it’s ringed with fire). In fact there’s some faint rhyme there in terms of marrying people for their money and then waiting for them to die

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 18, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Lmao, god I wish I could be the Social Media manager of a company. They meant spanking Leo but goddamn does it not come off like that.

You already know they had several meetings on what they could and couldn’t post.

Companies doing weird twitter pastiche is so over especially now that the website is just a hotbed of nazis

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
Loved the Twin Peaks homage

Got a light?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finally watched this and loved it. Not caught up with the thread yet though and the one thing I think about it, even if all the actors were great, the choices are still odd. I heard De Caprio and Plemmons switched roles, and although it’s claimed it was because the story changed directions, it does feel like De Caprio just decided he wanted to be the lead. Just felt miscast to have a 50 year old playing a young man towards the start when he’d be much better suited as the FBI agent, and Plemmons has the perfect look and ability to play the type of character where you can’t tell if they are just kind of dim or evil.

Same with De Niro, 80 years old playing a 45 year old. Again as great as the performances were, they are both just too famous as to be distracting.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The story did change directions, it was originally a procedural focusing on the BI agent that Plemmons ended up playing. Leo was always going to be the lead. Totally agree that the original casting better fits the characters though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Plemmons has done so well playing dopey, daydreaming what that could have been like in this movie

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Finally saw this, a few assorted thoughts

Leo does a phenomenal job displaying someone who doesn't understand things, solely by having no lights in his eyes. Don't know how to describe it. Great work

There's a weird juxtaposition of side characters played by no name actors,.character actors I recognize from elsewhere, and then famous actors in bit parts. These parts all line up with the types of characters they play - outlaws, townspeople, and finally, outside elites

And finally, the end really worked for me. The white man took the osages lives, took their wealth, and then even took their story, until there was next to nothing left for the Osage to have of their own. Thankfully the final shot showed they aren't gone entirely.

Edit: the filming of the radio play itself was great. Having the closeups of dozens of different sound effects for the radio listener, showing that this story truly was just entertainment to them

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 13, 2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DeNiro felt like he was playing the lead in a Mr. Burns biopic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just rewatched this. It’s honestly fantastic you guys.

The line “get yer pencils” is sooooo cathartic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're putting it back in the local, gonna go back for a fourth viewing here soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I've never seen Kundun. Is Kundun good? I saw The Last Temptation of Christ earlier this year and really didn't like it (and was shocked that it was ever considered controversial). I also saw After Hours this year... awesome Scorsese movie if people haven't seen. It has a kinship with Eyes Wide Shut.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 23, 2024