Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Hey, I don't have any interest in being here but it seems like a lot of people do, so, if you want to talk about the politics of the Bespoke Chad vs the Behringer Virgin, here's a place to do it

now get out of my other threads

Skynet, show me "((Uli behringer)) in a knight's shining armor, rave background"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Im on team behringer and I can't wait until every last beloved brand is dead

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

CatBlack posted:

Im on team behringer and I can't wait until every last beloved brand is dead

can't we have cheap synths and expensive weird makenoise poo poo?

the dude I know who bought a Korg mini 2600 would never buy a bArp on principle

we're talking a relatively niche hobby with a big following among white collar people aged 30 and over, as well as a broader appeal. seems like there ought to be a market for all these things (until capitalism breaks and we run out of the stuff to make things, or run out of food, etc)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Cabbages and Kings posted:

we're talking a relatively niche hobby with a big following among white collar people aged 30 and over, as well as a broader appeal. seems like there ought to be a market for all these things (until capitalism breaks and we run out of the stuff to make things, or run out of food, etc)

Korg literally conspired with Roland, Yamaha, Casio, and Fender to inflate prices on music gear and were found guilty of it a year ago, were fined by the EU, and facing class action litigation as well. I would say that harms musicians a lot more than Behringer playing the modern capitalism game better than Moog did.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Re: cheap Behringer clones, algo fed me this last night and it made me lol. Timestamp at around 6:20 for the actual comparison if the link doesn't take you there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7YFoizu2YM

Yeah, I think maybe Moog killed Moog and not these lovely B clones.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Re: cheap Behringer clones, algo fed me this last night and it made me lol. Timestamp at around 6:20 for the actual comparison if the link doesn't take you there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7YFoizu2YM

Yeah, I think maybe Moog killed Moog and not these lovely B clones.

Those mini boxes aren't meant to be clones, they just have some functionality of the originals and then some of their own thing. The mini JP-8000 as well doesn't sound like one or claim to, it just can give you a super saw effect and some trance noises. The BX-700 thing announced is like, kind of a DX-7 or maybe TX-100 but then also it has like a drum machine slapped onto it as well. Anyway, they're different from the reproduction models.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

toadee posted:

Those mini boxes aren't meant to be clones, they just have some functionality of the originals and then some of their own thing. The mini JP-8000 as well doesn't sound like one or claim to, it just can give you a super saw effect and some trance noises. The BX-700 thing announced is like, kind of a DX-7 or maybe TX-100 but then also it has like a drum machine slapped onto it as well. Anyway, they're different from the reproduction models.

Yeah but that thing sounds like poo poo. Sure, it's only like $100 or whatever but Roland's AIRA minis are $200 and sound incredible. It's a pretty incompetently made little toy and it made me lmao.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The rule of thumb with Behringer pedals is that if its an all analog circuit where they could copy a schematic and not get sued, it's great, but if there's any code (even like a reverb algorithm) it's fuckin trash poo poo. Seems to hold w/ the instruments?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Honestly, Makenoise is downright budget friendly - you can get the whole 6u system for the price of a single Cwejman filter or drum voice

Anyway if people actually had principles about this stuff everyone would still be boycotting Makenoise for dropping Maths to kill Banalogue, who had a perfectly good VCS module for Eurorack licensed from Serge Tcherepnin himself. Even now I don't see nearly as many R*S DUSGs as Maths in behringer haters' racks

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://reddit.com/r/moog/s/kmxZGL8s2l

“Behringer was not the cause, Mike Adams was”.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Laserjet 4P posted:

https://reddit.com/r/moog/s/kmxZGL8s2l

“Behringer was not the cause, Mike Adams was”.

Yep, pretty much confirms what everybody not named Benn Jordan already assumed was what happened. Incompetent management looking for a quick payout at the expense of employees and consumers, shocking that this keeps happening under a system that rewards this behavior with consequence-free riches

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

JamesKPolk posted:

The rule of thumb with Behringer pedals is that if its an all analog circuit where they could copy a schematic and not get sued, it's great, but if there's any code (even like a reverb algorithm) it's fuckin trash poo poo. Seems to hold w/ the instruments?

TC electronic is just behringer in a metal trenchcoat, too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

the weird thing is how noisy and notoriously poo poo the (named pre-Doepfer) "Eurorack" line of mixers are. They have a rep for being noisy as gently caress even if grounded, I owned one and it was this was, a friend has a similar story, and the ones they have at the lab in town don't seem much better. They're usable, just weirdly high noise compared to other similarly priced stuff.

The only euro modules I can think of where they packed DSP in are SpaceFX or whatever the bad DSP module is, and Brains which is just a clone of old-firmware plaits but then they did add "their own" DX7 modes which I've heard are okay? None the less, I am still getting another plaits instead of a brains ever.

From that pro vs video, I don't think it sounds awful, very "what do you want for $99". The eurorack version, I suspect, will be "fine" if the control surface is decent because an even decent X/Y stick is worth $50 right there :laugh:

Looking through all their other modules on modulargrid I literally can't find any that would have DSP, haha. Some of their digital synths have OK reps?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
my brains is on cowbell duty most of the time. very handy mode that should be hacked into real plaits

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

catblack is a synthfluencer

I've started IDing gear in your videos and putting it on my wish list, because I am a good synth consumer and I know that skill and workflow is included in the box along side modules :laugh:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
skill (plaits) and workflow (traffic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

JamesKPolk posted:

Honestly, Makenoise is downright budget friendly - you can get the whole 6u system for the price of a single Cwejman filter or drum voice

Anyway if people actually had principles about this stuff everyone would still be boycotting Makenoise for dropping Maths to kill Banalogue, who had a perfectly good VCS module for Eurorack licensed from Serge Tcherepnin himself. Even now I don't see nearly as many R*S DUSGs as Maths in behringer haters' racks

The one that stands out to me is the have clone pedals of line 6s reverb and delay and I don’t know how they got away with that legally.

Also their analog pedals, while basically the same as the originals internally have always added more noise to my chain than the Chinese clone brands do.