Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

shyduck posted:

Yeah I just have no trust in him putting forth a good faith effort after just being handed a billion dollars. I also have a feeling the league doesn't either

This is the same guy that's been owning the team with 23m in LTIR to hit the cap floor. Of course they don't expect him to actually come back in 5 years with a full stadium and desire to run a team again. They'll wait out the clock and if they expand again they'll either find someone else with a bunch of money or put it in Houston and Atlanta instead.

E: This actually makes me wonder what's going to happen with those 3 LTIR contracts that are there only for the purpose of hitting the cap minimum. Surely the new owner is going to want to actually put a team on the ice that can compete.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Jhet posted:

E: This actually makes me wonder what's going to happen with those 3 LTIR contracts that are there only for the purpose of hitting the cap minimum. Surely the new owner is going to want to actually put a team on the ice that can compete.

I think it's just Weber after this year. Maybe he'll get better?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://x.com/pierrevlebrun/status/1781052478475182572?s=12&t=LSsJvqCJl2p3dvLVjRSdXw

Utah Hockey Team

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

The Utah Mitts

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
The Utah Elders

I asked chat gpt and it said the The Utah Brigham Blades which would be a sick ECHL team name

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

They just put a beehive on their flag, they should be the Utah Bees and wear a ton of stripes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I think it's just Weber after this year. Maybe he'll get better?

Seems unlikely, but at least it's under 8m then. Either way, I hope that contract was front loaded.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Jhet posted:

Seems unlikely, but at least it's under 8m then. Either way, I hope that contract was front loaded.

Oh, buddy. It's so front loaded it immediately caused a lockout.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/shea-weber

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even if Weber officially retires, i think most of the cap recapture goes to Nashville.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Powershift posted:

Even if Weber officially retires, i think most of the cap recapture goes to Nashville.

Hahaha, that’s great. There’s only 2m left to pay on the contract, but that’s not the cap hit on a buyout.

I forgot that this was the same group of contracts with Suter and Parise and the epically long terms.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Utah Jazzercisers or bust.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Utah Nordiques

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Utah Beige.

And the jerseys can just be beige with "UTAH" on the front in a slightly different color of beige.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

The Utah Nordiques

this is wonderful. if you kept this and just moved the puck so that the long end of the stick is going into it, in a static logo it would convey soaking. perfect; it's got the strange local culture and the Utah sports team name appropriation

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

shyduck posted:

The Utah Nordiques

Listen.

I love you.

e: really though they should lean into the whole sports teams in SLC whose names make no sense, and go with the Utah Whalers

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

shyduck posted:

edit: We'll probably have an idea after this land auction in the coming weeks

Honestly I highly doubt he’ll win the auction. Anyone that can demonstrate they meet the Arizona State Land Department’s bidding requirements, can show up and compete against him. And there’s almost certainly going to be other bidders given the prime location.

He would have had to have done some prep work in order to get it this far, such as environmental surveys, etc., but that’s peanuts to what he just received.

So it wouldn’t be surprising for him to place the initial bid and then give up as it goes higher, walking away with his $1B while the parcel goes to other commercial developers.

I wonder if he’s allowed to sell the rights to someone else who might actually care about doing something with the Coyotes. My guess is that 5 years goes by and the Coyotes remain a permanent fixture of past history.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The Utah Meadow Massacre

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The Utah Deserters would make everyone adequately mad.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Utah Golden Plates

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
soooo what happens if Alex Meruelo can't build a new stadium in 5 years? Will the NHL force him to give the name, brand and logo back to the Utah hockey team? Or is that part of NHL history just going to die out?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Utah Mormons

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1781077789027823671?t=7p-LrJO0HcRAh7aFuQp1DQ&s=19

Oh my god these all suck major rear end

who was the focus group, drunks?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Utah Buttes

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Escape Goat posted:

Utah Golden Plates

Utah Donner Parties
Utah Prophets
Utah Missionaries

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Utah Fanatics, named obviously for the jersey manufacturer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

those are some AHL-rear end team names

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Utah Peperony and Chease

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1781077789027823671?t=7p-LrJO0HcRAh7aFuQp1DQ&s=19

You’d think Utah would go with a plural name

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

stormin mormons

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I feel like Utah Fury will allow for some hilarious headlines the next day after an epic loss. Blizzard too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I feel like Utah Fury will allow for some hilarious headlines the next day after an epic loss. Blizzard too.

Coulda just gone with Utah Salty

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
utah utahns

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I don't like any of the names but I dislike Blizzard least and it would set up Avalanche vs Blizzard as geographic rivals.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Drunk Canuck posted:

loving plz stop with the collective nouns they suck!

Edit: Utah Hockey Club actually kinda works but only if it’s the permanent name

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Every single one of those names is bad + dumb and the most egregious is “Utah”

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Utah Johnnys

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
venom sounds like a MLS team

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Utah Dirty Sodas

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blizzard, Venom, and Fury were all certainly American Gladiator names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

venom sounds like a MLS team

An XFL team