Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The non-elite tier of goalies can be counted on being bad in alternating seasons while they try to figure something new out

And sometimes their hips explode into powder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Reaves is better than me at hockey and he seems like a nice guy but those are about the extent of my compliments for him

He's a relic as a player archetype and I'd rather have a million Matt Nieto type players over him

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

live feed of him signing that contract

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Only two games on tonight, what the poo poo NHL
it's the first week give us some games to watch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie first line tonight.

Will they even be able to make it up and/or down the ice?

that line is gonna have 100 man games total and 82 of those will be Ovi's

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's apparently the first time the caps have ever been shut out in their home opener

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens pretty good. Caps were not very good. Nice game from Jarry and the D.

Karlsson especially was on fire
he didn't get points on them but those two PPGs don't happen without him keeping the puck in

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Letang and Karlsson both seem like guys who are going to demand 24 minutes a night until their bodies explode anyhow so you may as well let them
when the day comes that they can't keep up with that pace they will implode into a white dwarf star anyhow

but yeah the bottom 6 has been largely invisible on the ice which, while not great, is a small step up from being actively terrible compared to last season

The third line at least seems to be able to skate so the goals will probably come for them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shyduck posted:

Just a reminder that the Caps just signed Tom Wilson a to 7x6.5 context extension that kicks in next season

I actually did not recall that or notice it when I checked his capfriendly page and all I can say is :lol: he is a worse skater now than later career Brooks Orpik

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

There were a lot of shitshow skaters last night getting paid a lot of money. I’ll keep my fan optimism for now and write it off as rust. Lots of rust…

But Bryan Rust looked great

:rimshot:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The penguins are good again and will make the playoffs

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Back to back hattricks should mean he gets to keep the belt
someone has to take it from him in a cage match

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AntiDepressor posted:

Cole Caufield gonna score 40 this year. And still only end up with 50-60 points.

ooh I love trivia like this which lead me to find:
there's only one player since the year 2000 to score 40+ goals with a <60 point season

here are some hints in increasing order of helpfulness
He played over 1000 games

He was a former star player than ended up the Rangers but didn't live up to his contract

He accomplished this feat playing for the Blue Jackets

He was selected 1st overall

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

54 losses sounds about right

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That Corey Perry is still in this league (and likely gonna get into the hall of fame on the first ballot) while my sweet, gentle boy Phil Kessel is not
it's a damned travesty

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

Apparently he still wants to play but i like to think Kessel is one of the guys who is more than happy to go play golf/gamble and ride off into the sunset. I mean he is the reigning ironman, won his cups, made Steve Simmonds look like an rear end in a top hat (more than usual), what else is there to do?

it'd be cool to see him hit the 1000 but I guess it's not gonna be the thing that makes or breaks his legacy

I could see him getting in on as a family with his sister like the lesser Staals surely will with Eric

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Acting as a booster for a murderous dictator didn't break his legacy so I think he'll be fine.

wait Kessel did what?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Friedman is a drat good bottom pairing dude who's flexible and never tries to do too much. The Pens will miss him. I don't know why they felt like they had to unload him.

I think he was trapped up in the NHL because of injury at the start of the season and they knew he wasn't gonna get sent down without getting claimed so they'd have lost him for nothing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Me last night

I admire the fortitude of picking a slogan that's basically "if you leave now, you'll beat the traffic"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Contract termination without a cause has to be mutual between the team and player I'm pretty sure.
Looking at Plasek's playing history, it's more likely he said "I'm not going to the AHL, loan me to a Czech league or terminate me"
better pay, better development, better lifestyle and travel, and fewer players over there trying to make their way to the big leagues by scrambling your brains

And win/win 'cause the pens open a contract spot

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

IMO dumping Friedman to get a contract spot was a mistake though. Friedman is pretty much exactly what a team needs for a 6th defenseman. He's cheap, he's versatile, he rocks no boats, you hardly even notice him most nights which given his role is a good thing. There must be something I'm failing to see because it's surprising to me that he's so little regarded by coaches and GMs. Or maybe it's nothing more complicated than "defenseman, not 6 feet tall, not a great skater, don't want him".

Of course he's only 28 which is too young for the Penguins.

it could've been a courtesy thing from the organization as much as a business thing. They love Ruhwedel and he isn't displacing him (not saying that's a correct evaluation), and Pysyk is going to come off of LTIR at some point and they've got tons of bodies in WBS and they knew Friedman wasn't going to clear when they sent him down.

Get something and jettison him far away in an organization that gives him a chance to establish himself as an NHL player.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I really like Ruhwedel for all the same reasons, but he's 33 and the next time he loses a half-step of speed he'll become useless overnight. (c.f. Dumoulin, Brian) I don't think they'd have lost much jettisoning him and keeping Friedman who IMO is a 5 years younger Ruhwedel pretty much.

e: Pysyk isn't worth losing Friedman for

By no means am I saying they made the right player choice but the organizational calculus was "Ruhwedel is the consummate professional and Sullivan loves him" and they needed to move bodies and for whatever reason Friedman was the odd man out
Maybe he was sour about being up and down the last season or something. Dubas obviously trusts his analytics team and that move is just not one that is fully explainable with a raw numbers analysis of what happened

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's funny that Tom Wilson broke his body injuring people and now he's stuck in a role he physically and mentally can't keep up.

He's a poo poo bird and he deserves it.

Admittedly his punishment is a fat pile of money to get heckled by annoyed fans and maybe traded to Arizona at some point so it's not even that bad for him

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's definitely got more Jets stink on him than Pens

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pettersson is having a hell of a season
it's a good thing they locked him down years ago because he'd be asking for league maximum coming off of this one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wait is OEL actually producing? His fancy stats have him as a hell of a positive impact right now

Was he not actually terrible for all these years because that'd be wild

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Doesn't Pittsburgh always suck the first month or so of the season and then wake up around January and return to their final form for the season?

Yeah, they never actually try until the new year. It's weird to hear the players/coaches being openly unhappy about it from the hop but it's par for the course

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Fire Sullivan and see if that helps. Cycle through WBS forwards and see if any offer anything worthwhile.

If they still suck after doing those two things, welp

Sullivan really has been cooked for a few seasons
coaches just don't get to last that long, good or not

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Arabian Jesus posted:

Nylander now has more goals as a Maple Leaf than Kessel

Kessel did it in 81 fewer games though so he's still the best there ever was

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mennoknight posted:

Nazem Kadri is the worst flame since Ales Kotalik. I think if I saw him in the street I'd just be like, guy, you're bad

That contract... Yikes... Well the buyout isn't too bad after a few seasons at least

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

those jerseys own

and the league better loving give Clifton 10+
in an ideal world I'd have him sitting half the season to get that kinda poo poo out of the game

how many times must the league leading scorers get concussed by nobodies before the league finally does something about that poo poo
nobody likes a blindside hit, it adds nothing to the game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Find these kids that did it and name their names. I don’t care if they’re underage when it happened, publically name and shame them. Do the exact same with their coach. This poo poo has to stop and it never will as long as they keep sweeping it under the rug at the league level. gently caress it’s so drat frustrating.

Just watch for who the Canadiens draft from that roster

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Rejoice the Penguins are bad. Jarry is bad. They can't score and it would appear they are coached exceptionally poorly. So :toot:

It's bizarre that on paper they are not terrible.
They are paradoxically still one of the faster teams in the nhl for overall foot speed, they get lots of quality shots, they give up low quality chances

They're honestly in that same position they've been the last time where they've fired the head coach and suddenly start looking like a contender out of nowhere
the pieces are still there, the numbers aren't lying, but christ the coaches are ready to be put out to pasture

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is insane. Except for Karlsson they are the slowest team in the NHL except for maybe the Caps. Are you accidentally watching games from 3 years ago??

The NHL has an advanced stat site for this stuff now called "EDGE" where you can compare skater/team speed, e.g.
https://edge.nhl.com/en/compare/teams/20232024-regular-PIT-20232024-regular-VGK

So the Penguins' overall NHL footspeed as an average player level is smack dab in the middle (dragged down by guys like Carter/Pettersson) but they actually are in up the third for "speed bursts over 20mph" so they're still skating fast, frequently

Even Letang, for all the speed he's lost, is still a top skater in the league

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

See to me that could easily read as "they're blowing coverages and missing assignments and they have to haul rear end a lot to try and catch up"

I think it's bolstered a lot by Sullivan's "system" which is to have defensemen blasting through the neutral zone carrying the puck for breakouts
and that is, admittedly, a loving mistake to still be running with a team that is middle of the road rather than one of the fastest in the league precisely because when they get their pockets picked they can't beat a kid going full bore the other way

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I may not be smart enough to understand the mechanics of why those stats don't correspond with reality, and being fully cognizant of the risk of just bein' a grandpa shaking my fist about the Eye Test... I still feel comfortable asserting the Penguins are slllloooooow. They lose the race to almost every puck. Teams carve them up in transition because they can't forecheck or get into the lanes in time. They can't consistently break the puck out via any method besides Karlsson skating it out himself because they can't get into open positions to receive passes quickly enough.

The alternate explanation is that they're still plenty fast and are just constantly out of position because Mike Sullivan has forgotten how to coach. I guess we'll find out which one of us is right when Sullivan is fired.

Problem is they're fast relative to the league but Sullivan's system requires them to be the fastest team in the league

It's like how I play EA NHL (just constantly get breakaways and 2 on 1s by out skating the other team)

Except they can't. They aren't. They haven't been in ages. Give them whatever system a slower team like Detroit or Dallas is running and they should perk right up

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've been trying to make sense of that call and I've got nothing

Admittedly the rules around being in the crease are loving arcane at the best of times so maybe that's it? Is it disallowed if the offensive player is entirely in the paint before the puck or is it entirely predicated on the nudge he gives to Karlsson?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fisting by many posted:

The rules about the crease are perfectly sensible. Inside the crease, the goalie has the right to move freely, and if an attacking player in the way prevents him from making a save it's interference (except of course when he's bulldozed into the goalie by a defender or whatever)

Outside the crease, goalies are no more special than any other player -- contact or a moving pick is still interference, a player parked there first is not.

Looks like clear interference to me. lol pens

Right the issue is the attacking player makes no direct contact with the goalie there. He brushes into Karlsson who stumbles and cross-checks Jarry
I've seen dozens of instances of more direct interference called as incidental contact

not that I would mind it getting called this way more often, goalies are fragile enough with their hips exploding that they shouldn't have to worry about people getting in their space

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Backstrom seemed like an alright dude on the ice and I liked watching him despite his being a capital

Fare ye well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Alfredsson got in with a roughly similar career (though he had a calder and a lot more international success)

Elias and Brind'Amour are two statistical comparables who aren't in yet though

e:
I guess Hossa got in with no real personal hardware (admittedly by the virtue of winning 3 cups) but who knows

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 1, 2023