Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Don't you dare, that jersey is awesome while Laine's suit just looks like a debit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wonderllama posted:

What’s with the seven years? If he’s signing that cheap make it 8? Literally only thing wrong with it.

They didn't want him for his age 38 season and he wasn't going to accept a lower AAV for an extra year for some reason?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

Honestly, this probably should have gotten an instigator as he's jumping into something he wasn't involved in and starting the fight without the other guy having the option to skate away.

But this is the NHL so that poo poo is never going to happen.

Xhekaj did get an instigator whereas Reaves got nothing for the boarding so the system works.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pseudodragon posted:

Reaves seems like he'd be a fun dude to have in the role they wanted guys like Simmonds/Clifford for. Dude that plays like once a week or if the team is in a funk and needs some good vibes and then goes back to being a cheerleader the rest of the time.

Reaves is going to play 60+ games if the other 4th line options keep sucking/not getting a chance to do anything.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, most of that looks about right. Brodie's just clinging on to Rielly who at least started off the season well. Knies has been more noticeable than Minten (mostly invisible) and Domi (baaad) but whatever.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, bring back Hall and Oates.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also by far the best, at least until Dmitry Ovchinnikov breaks out.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tim Peel is an expert on being a disgrace to the game, I'd listen to what he has to say.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

Already looking at Celebrini videos.

Can I interest you in 6'7 defenseman Anton Silayev who apparently came out of relative obscurity to pacing to break all kinds of U-18 and U-19 KHL defenseman records?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I brought an illegal interchangeable lens camera to a Flyers game and they did check but I lied about the lens being detachable and they either didn't notice the button to detach or didn't care. YMMV.

The one time I brought a lens that was too big they made me put it into a storage locker before coming back to security.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They really, really care about people bringing in telephoto lenses, in case they take illegal unlicensed photos of the game and then sell them to Russian agents in back alleys, and they're not going to pat you down to check if you're trying to smuggle a 300mm lens in your underwear.

Aphrodite posted:

The rule exists because it's easier to say no interchangeable lenses than to police specific focal lengths or zoom factors, since what they're really trying to prevent is someone bringing in a lens that can see up Sidney Crosby's nose.

No, many arenas do police lenses by size so you have to be careful about that too:

quote:

Video and Audio recording devices are not permitted in the Wells Fargo Center
No professional equipment, detachable lenses, or lenses longer than 2.5” are permitted

Wells Fargo is evidently unaware that they've banned any device with a microphone or camera.

Scotibank Arena's (Leafs) NHL policy (it can vary by sport/event type too): Non-flash still photography is permitted; however, the lens must not exceed 75mm.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 20, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bally has a giant ticker/scoreboard covering a good chunk of the bottom of the screen that they never turn off so if you like that,

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alex Tuch's going to think twice about messing with ONTARIO FORD DEALERS next time.

there's a non-zero chance Brady Tkachuk is an Ontario Ford Dealer

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arabian Jesus posted:

Nylander now has more goals as a Maple Leaf than Kessel

Sign the Willy, Brad.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I thought Faksa's stick went up into Ludvig's jaw or something.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lmao at getting yourself suspended 41 games for making bets in a contract year.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm betting Pinto leaked confidential lineup/roster info he shouldn't have. Check out my gamblr.nhl page and vote with your wallet!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The NY Sound is especially underwhelming with the freaking Sound Tigers nearby.

Wait... they're just the Bridgeport Islanders now? gently caress that, contract the Islanders.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What kind of lovely ref actually calls a delay of game penalty against the crowd, they didn't even do it last season when Devils fans were throwing half-empty beer cans onto the ice.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 28, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The NHL has an advanced stat site for this stuff now called "EDGE" where you can compare skater/team speed, e.g.
https://edge.nhl.com/en/compare/teams/20232024-regular-PIT-20232024-regular-VGK

So the Penguins' overall NHL footspeed as an average player level is smack dab in the middle (dragged down by guys like Carter/Pettersson) but they actually are in up the third for "speed bursts over 20mph" so they're still skating fast, frequently

Even Letang, for all the speed he's lost, is still a top skater in the league

At first glance this seems pretty cool since I've been complaining about the NHL sharing next to nothing from shot/skating tracking. The top skating/shot speed seems a bit useless though, as does average. Bursts are more interesting because what you care about is speed when it matters (contested plays) not whether guys are hammering shots into empty nets or standing motionless behind the net while teammates complete a change.

Sorta efb by Koopa.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/unfortunatehky/status/1719174590994219496?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

The Pens having a 5-on-3 with 22 seconds left and losing in regulation fuckin rules, sick clapper from the point, Geno

I like how there are two Pens set up on either side of the net, both on the wrong side to take a one timer or really any shot.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Calgary's situation has me very excited for the future of the Maple Leafs

Treliving hasn't been measurably worse than Dubas... yet. Sign the drat Willy, Brad.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

abuse culture. posted:

Every single FA signing he made this summer has been max a 3 out of 10 lol. Dubas was at least good at patching together a team of nobodies who would perform at or above expectations for 0 money

E: the FA signing playing the best so far is easily Todd bertuzzi who has 3 points and on his way down to the third line

Yeah Treliving shouldn't have signed Todd when Tyler was available.

In all seriousness, though, yes pretty much every signing he made has had bad or mixed results so far, but they're mostly on one year deals and will not cost assets to dump like some of Dubas' gambles. Reaves is probably the worst for being so long. Anyway, I didn't think they were bad gambles at the time. Klingberg ought to have been cheaper. I was worried about him blocking Timmins but Timmins is out with a ??? injury and Liljegren has struggled so, uh, here we are.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bettman read The Giver and understands the importance of precision of language above all else.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dallas Eakins got them eating right with healthy habits and now some other coach is reaping the rewards.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zesty posted:

lol Sharks, what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/1555229589323988992

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sportsnet reporting that Devon Levi loves the scene in Star Wars where Qui-gon Jinn stops to meditate in the middle of a fight and that's why he kneels to meditate during warmup.

That's your moment of cringe for the day.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Cross checking a guy hard who is lying prone on the ice, :wtc: He should be suspended for a year. Why do we wait until someone gets his neck broken and then suspend a thug for a year?

This was a $5,000 fine* and 0 game suspension so I'm excited to see how the league adjudicates crosschecking a guy lying on the ice directly in the neck vs crosschecking a guy in the neck while they're standing and then again in the lower back while they're lying on the ice stunned from the first one.

*you know the line.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

One game, but Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok looked like the most real third line the Leafs have had all season...
Also I have a hard time reconciling what I know about Simon Benoit (and his PK performance) with how he played 5 on 5 in that game,

Leafs had 7-0 chances in 3:45 with that line plus Benoit/Lagesson. I think the D part is a fluke since my notes on Benoit are - tall and shouldn't be in the NHL, and Lagesson - incredibly unremarkable and shouldn't be in the NHL.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VOTE1 posted:

Also this idea that because a period of PDO is too high means the next period is going to harshly correct is as dumb as walking up to a roulette table and saying oh 5 reds in a row, put the house on black! Yes at some point there’s going to be a run on black, but another run on red is as likely.

I don't think anyone said that regression to the mean will make the Canucks lose the next 10 in a row.

Bard Maddox posted:

regardless of if the Canucks are actually good or not, they have the opportunity to do a very funny thing this week and completely crush the fanbases of the Oilers, Leafs, and Senators (plus beat the Canadiens but who isn't doing that these days besides the Jets)

Not gonna happen, the Leafs are good again (except when they're not).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Point being the original question was 'why are the Canucks good this year vs last year' and that's simple - Last year they started the season with 12% shooting in all situations and had .880 goaltending. They finished the year with 11% shooting and .880 sv%. So far this year they're shooting 15.5% and riding .936 sv%.

So based on past performance they're going to finish this season with 14.5% shooting and .936 goaltending, nice.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That looks like obvious boarding to me but ok.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Levitate posted:

how's reaves doing this yaer

Leads the team in hits and fights. Dead last in points, +/-, TOI, CF%, xGF%, GF%. On for 0GF and 9GA so far.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mike Works posted:

I know you’ve already answered, but what the gently caress was that

Not the worst Leafs defensive play of the game, let alone the season.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr. Kite posted:

In retrospect, it was very strange that for several decades, every team had a goon on their roster whose job it was to fight the other teams goon.

A lot of people were entertained by the harmless fun, well except for the goons who got brain damage and/or died.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Has anyone called him Young Sheldon yet?

Well anyway Carbery is younger now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Oiler destroys glaciers and sets up impromptu fracking rigs with his bare hands. However, he also rages into a "woke" state to protect the smallest, furriest woodland creatures,

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I still have vague hopes for Timmins. He's not a slick puckhandling wizard but he can pass the puck pretty well without being a liability. Unfortunately he may just be perpetually broken.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's a classic Catch-28 (that's Tie Domi's number you see).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How good is that Kaapo Kakko though, eh?