Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

emSparkly posted:

I actually did pay for YouTube premium for a bit but now I just seriously don't wanna waste my money creating revenue for some Nintendo reviewman just so I can find out a month later they touched a kid at a convention.

As subscribers go up the chances that the streamer will be outed as a sex pest, domestic abuser, or a Nazi starts to approach 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Considering most Youtubers have stuff like Patreon & other partnerships outside the platform, the whole "content creators are HuUrRtTiNGg" is complete horseshit

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
People who goto sleep with the '8 hour relaxing rain' '10 hour Star Trek warp core' 'Lofi hip hop Samurai' channels must be pissed hearing 'DOO DOOO DOOO DOOO IM LOVING IT' every 15 minutes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

happyhippy posted:

People who goto sleep with the '8 hour relaxing rain' '10 hour Star Trek warp core' 'Lofi hip hop Samurai' channels must be pissed hearing 'DOO DOOO DOOO DOOO IM LOVING IT' every 15 minutes.

It's all about that cigar, bible, and chill (lofi + chant) these days

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I mostly just play the same handful of funny videos or stream vods or longplays that I've been watching for the past 8 years. Falling asleep to a Doom 64 longplay gives you spooky dreams.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Youtube can suck a fat one before I pay them poo poo or watch their ads.

Yes.

I would download a car if I could.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I pay the ransom to not see ads

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 13, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I ain't seeing no ads or messages about my ad blocker but the moment I do that's the end of Youtube for me.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I just checked and ad fuckers are still OK.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Newpipe on phones and Firefox w/ ublock installed, baybee

vlc can also play YT streams with a plugin (or maybe it was mediaplayer classic?), this was the method I watched some vids on a dying Thinkpad with XP some years ago

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's probably still an a/b test which means if you get th version of YouTube that doesn't allow adblockers and you continue to watch YouTube content you are actively contributing to making this change permanent

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's probably still an a/b test which means if you get th version of YouTube that doesn't allow adblockers and you continue to watch YouTube content you are actively contributing to making this change permanent

This

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Click uBlock Origin icon
Click the "gears" icon to go to settings
Scroll to bottom, click "reset to default settings"
Go back to top, click "filter lists"
Click "purge all caches"

Enjoy a few more videos before the pop up returns.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's 2023
No one on here is a teen or a child
And you cant work out getting around this poo poo for yourself?

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
ublock origin
https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/173jmog/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_09_2023/

apparently youtube keeps updating its anti-adblock fix every few hours which makes it necessary to do the purge + update again

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

i just got youtube premium as i often will put youtube on the TV and fall asleep and let the algorithm take over and wake up at 2:00 am on the couch to who knows what playing

It's a 3hr long history thing going on when I wake up

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Is there a reliable free way to block youtube ads on ios these days? They're so goddamn loud.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is there a reliable free way to block youtube ads on ios these days? They're so goddamn loud.

I'll get Steve Apple on the phone and ask.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I use “UYouPlus” for iPhone. No ads, you can lock your phone and still play videos, it’s great. It even cuts out the in-video promotions for Nordvpn and stuff. The biggest downside is I have to refresh it tethered to my MacBook once per week.

https://uyouplus.com/

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

I completely missed the boat on Youtube, I remember when it came out in like 2005 or whatever and at the time it was just a video hosting site, like imgur but for videos or whatever - a place you could upload a video and send your friends a link to it.

I had a channel starting around 2006-2007 where I would post weird demos and LPs from the 80s and 90s and write a bit about them. I had around 10k subscribers at some point - yeah a scrub number now but back then it felt kind of special. Even got some video responses from people, remember those? My most viewed one was a 10 min sample of Killer Fox - Orgasm of Death, I don't remember the number but it was approaching 100k. It's all gone because a croatian band I uploaded hit me with 3 copyright strikes and I got banned and I was like, fair enough :shrug:, most things I uploaded are there in full now anyway.

Jim Cramer
Sep 18, 2009

Squack McQuack posted:

I use “UYouPlus” for iPhone. No ads, you can lock your phone and still play videos, it’s great. It even cuts out the in-video promotions for Nordvpn and stuff. The biggest downside is I have to refresh it tethered to my MacBook once per week.

https://uyouplus.com/

Same, UYou+ owns

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

YouTube premium is probably one of the highest value subscription services available. I got 90 days of Walmart+ from it and continued that service as well. I don't ever need to watch ads, I don't ever have to go to Walmart... life is loving amazing

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
My YouTube got cut off for ad blocking. and when the two-extension trick I was using after that stopped working, I just started started using Brave and I'm still ad-free again. I'm not giving Google any more money. I will download the videos and watch them from my hard drive if I have to. I will die, AD-FREE, on this hill

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I saw an ad on YouTube once because I was using a boomer computer and it was some Nestle image campaign or something. I muted it immediately and looked away. Pretty scary experience overall, so I'm not thrilled about this development

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Can I block all the ads except for the T-Mobile ones with JD and Turk?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the best way to stop those ads would be to buy google

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

heres an actually good idea blockchain but for video hosting and sharing

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

I completely missed the boat on Youtube, I remember when it came out in like 2005 or whatever and at the time it was just a video hosting site, like imgur but for videos or whatever - a place you could upload a video and send your friends a link to it. And it never grew beyond that to me. I didn't know that "youtubers" and "channels" and people sitting around 'watching youtube' was a thing until like 4-5 years ago, and I can only name one 'youtuber' today (dan olson).

Every once in a while I'll google "youtube.com [whatever]" if I want to see a video of something, like a movie trailer or a guide for a video game, and that's the limit of my interactions with youtube. But I just checked and my adblocker (uBlock Origin) still works just fine for that. Suck it nerds.

Also googling "youtube.com [whatever]" is way better and more effective than actually going to youtube.com and searching there, lmao

*Harvey Dangerly* ...and I don't even own a TV

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

incoherent light posted:

My YouTube got cut off for ad blocking. and when the two-extension trick I was using after that stopped working, I just started started using Brave and I'm still ad-free again. I'm not giving Google any more money. I will download the videos and watch them from my hard drive if I have to. I will die, AD-FREE, on this hill

this is what I started doing. I put yt-dlp into a docker container and now whenever I see a video I want to watch I just download it instead.

e: I will delete it when done and re-download it to maximize bandwidth costs to Google

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This thread reminded me that I had a pile of ~20 CDs waiting to be ripped, so that's good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Also googling "youtube.com [whatever]" is way better and more effective than actually going to youtube.com and searching there, lmao

Google will still lend me a hundred video links that a ) aren't a video b) aren't the same subject matter I clicked or searched for c) a 2 second clip on some lovely website or d) some wiki for an action movie I never watched.

Going straight to YouTube makes it slightly less unlikely to find the wrong thing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

emSparkly posted:

I mostly just play the same handful of funny videos or stream vods or longplays that I've been watching for the past 8 years. Falling asleep to a Doom 64 longplay gives you spooky dreams.

What are some funny longplays, I could use some bg noise

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Good luck with that

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

sdasdas posted:

Works fine for me with uBlock Origin, be a real man and use Firefox OP.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just waiting for modern day Tony Stark, Elon Musk, to invent a proper competitor to Youtube Red

Xvideos!

...what?

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

pretty poo poo considering I started using youtube for all my music listening like 10 years ago after p2p dried up
I must have streamed terabytes off youtube this year alone

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Crazy Achmed posted:

brave browser worked last i checked

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

*Harvey Dangerly* ...and I don't even own a TV

Since we're talking about Youtube it's more like "and I don't even own a minecraft duplo set"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Because youtube is a thing for babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

EorayMel posted:

Debate and/or Discuss.

I know for a fact that ad blockers work on Youtube.