Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Prettz posted:

pretty poo poo considering I started using youtube for all my music listening like 10 years ago after p2p dried up
I must have streamed terabytes off youtube this year alone

If the Internet goes out my only options for media are on an ancient external hard drive with all my highschool music and a tiny bit of college music and some weird movies and things I downloaded I keep meaning to get to but don't even when its my only option.

The worst part of YouTube for music dependency is when it's algorithm steers you directly towards the exact same stuff over and over and when it steers you towards not music when you're clearly on a music tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I remember in some video about Haiku a guy used some proxy app to just download the videos and play them in a normal media player. That would be cool and make me feel like a 1337 hacker

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

If you're frightened of ads and you're holding on, you'll see commercials tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the ads are for really useful stuff you've been meaning to buy anyway.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

flubber nuts posted:

If you're frightened of ads and you're holding on, you'll see commercials tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the ads are for really useful stuff you've been meaning to buy anyway.

Whenever I do see an ad (because they're impossible to remove on twitch) it's always for GrubHub which doesn't exist where I live, or trailers for lovely movies. I am missing out on nothing by blocking them.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

flubber nuts posted:

found any good boots to lick?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I primarily watch Youtube for the long hair gun fanatic goon and the Scottish space goon.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

found any good boots to lick?

no :(

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Wee posted:

It's 2023
No one on here is a teen or a child
And you cant work out getting around this poo poo for yourself?

Hey yeah let's not talk about this at all, in fact let's just stop posting entirely. You first.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It honestly wouldn't be that bad if they only put like 15 seconds worth of ads when you first load a video, regardless of where you start from. But if you're watching any video longer than a few minutes, the amount of ad interruptions is awful, worse than television. Especially since they spring up on you randomly. YouTube free is unawatchable streaming devices that can't block ads.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

flubber nuts posted:

You know you look like an advert, Flubber Nuts? Like an overgrown brochure. Anyone ever tell you that?

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
I've just taken it as a helpful reminder to get my PiHole set up :cheeky:

I know it doesn't affect the YouTube thing but I've already dealt with that problem and also gently caress Google.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

flubber nuts posted:

I know this song.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

flubber nuts posted:

you’re dead to me flubber nuts. any idea where I can buy some bereavement gifts?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I think youtube will probably revert this after they look at their metrics and see their user engagement dropping.

That little warning is so asinine too, "We're gonna ban your account if you block 3 more ads!", people are probably more pissed then they would be because youtube decided threats would work best in garnering compliance

Advertising execs are the scum of the earth

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think the advertising provider that owns Youtube cares about losing engagement from people who block ads.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

youtube premium is great. this poo poo should be subsidized by the state

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
lmao at anyone still using visual media. i sit cross-legged in front of my fridge, listening to the hum and imagining various scenarios in my mind's eye

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i got 2 pop ups a couple of days ago that i just closed and haven't had anything since

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pitdragon posted:

I think youtube will probably revert this after they look at their metrics and see their user engagement dropping.

That little warning is so asinine too, "We're gonna ban your account if you block 3 more ads!", people are probably more pissed then they would be because youtube decided threats would work best in garnering compliance

Advertising execs are the scum of the earth

Are they actually giving a ban warning? Mine never has a countdown.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vegetable posted:

youtube premium is great. this poo poo should be subsidized by the state

I agree. A lot of people seem to have a bee up their rear end about paying youtube as a streaming service. Youtube, unlike netflix and the other streaming services, provides an enormously important cultural ground. You can complain about all kinds of things about it and they're all valid but Youtube is like the equivalent of the printing press for the modern age for better or worse and I have no problem supporting that despite its flaws.

Is it because Youtube started off as free that people have such an aversion to paying for it?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

as a resident of egypt* youtube premium is very reasonable.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

roomtone posted:

i got 2 pop ups a couple of days ago that i just closed and haven't had anything since

same here :shrug:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I have YouTube premium but I think it's lame that YouTube makes you pay to avoid the ads. Especially because sometimes the "ad" is like a 30 minute long pilot episode of some random crap I don't wanna watch. A lot of times I would be watching YouTube while trying to get other things done like cleaning and it was annoying having to go back over to the TV and find something else because the advertisement wasn't skipped cause I wasn't paying attention. Anyway go ahead and laugh at me computer savvy people cause I like being able to close my flip phone and have a tiny speaker playing whatever I want. Some things on YouTube aren't on Spotify or there's a different version I like better.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Tarkus posted:

Is it because Youtube started off as free that people have such an aversion to paying for it?

It’s because the ads are intrusive. The audio isn’t normalized. They happen randomly. The amount of ads makes long videos unwatchable. And the big one, youtube/google already makes money soaking up personal information.

It’s also about a 99% sure thing that sometime in the future “premium” will still have ads ala Amazon prime.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Wistful of Dollars posted:

as a resident of egypt* youtube premium is very reasonable.

can i subscribe and leave egypt or do i have to be home

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

atomicpile posted:

It’s because the ads are intrusive. The audio isn’t normalized. They happen randomly. The amount of ads makes long videos unwatchable. And the big one, youtube/google already makes money soaking up personal information.

It’s also about a 99% sure thing that sometime in the future “premium” will still have ads ala Amazon prime.

All of this.
Plus people already render ads into their videos.

"Welcome to how to install winrar, but first our sponsor, raycon and raid shadow legends."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Paying for Youtube is like sending money to the people who own billboards

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

atomicpile posted:

Yeah, but you're complaining about poo poo that exists across the net, ad funded crap. The 'Advertisements even when paying in the future' thing is an odd assertion.

It's entirely possible that they might serve Youtube premium with ads but for the time being they are not and thus I get to watch youtube without a myriad of tools, hacks and vpns. I used to pay 100 bucks or more for cable, I'll happily pay 12 bucks or whatever for an ad free experience on a platform that enjoy watching. That's just my feeling on it tho.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

oh, you can leave home if you wish to leave the beauty of egypt.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Grey Cat posted:

Are they actually giving a ban warning? Mine never has a countdown.

Yeah, I ignored a "youtube does not allow ads" one a few times and I got a new one telling me that if I blocked three more ads they were gonna prevent me from watching any more videos on youtube.

I was barely paying attention to the the pop-ups until that one, then I looked it up and it turns out they actually have blocked some people's accounts for blocking ads. As in, those people can't watch youtube videos on their accounts anymore. No idea if it's permanent or if it's just a time-out.

Of course people have already come up with plenty of ways to circumvent it, so it was easy to get around it, but apparently now youtube is engaged in some kind of ad-blocker arms race. It's still easy to get around though.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

All of this.
Plus people already render ads into their videos.

"Welcome to how to install winrar, but first our sponsor, raycon and raid shadow legends."

sponserblock is really good

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Like 80% of the good original poo poo on youtube simply wouldn’t exist if youtube wasn’t trying to deepthroat you with ads. the money has to come from somewhere

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If adblockers stop working on Youtube I will just stop using Youtube altogether. Whenever I run into Youtube on any device that doesn't have an adblocker holy poo poo it's so bad I'll rather just not watch the video.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pitdragon posted:

Yeah, I ignored a "youtube does not allow ads" one a few times and I got a new one telling me that if I blocked three more ads they were gonna prevent me from watching any more videos on youtube.

I was barely paying attention to the the pop-ups until that one, then I looked it up and it turns out they actually have blocked some people's accounts for blocking ads. As in, those people can't watch youtube videos on their accounts anymore. No idea if it's permanent or if it's just a time-out.

Of course people have already come up with plenty of ways to circumvent it, so it was easy to get around it, but apparently now youtube is engaged in some kind of ad-blocker arms race. It's still easy to get around though.

Sign out of account
continue blocking
profit

Yeah, I'm sure there's a bunch of ways already. I still have zero issues using a 3rd party app.
Youtube Revanced.

Just comes up on my PC.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, but you're complaining about poo poo that exists across the net, ad funded crap. The 'Advertisements even when paying in the future' thing is an odd assertion.

It's entirely possible that they might serve Youtube premium with ads but for the time being they are not and thus I get to watch youtube without a myriad of tools, hacks and vpns. I used to pay 100 bucks or more for cable, I'll happily pay 12 bucks or whatever for an ad free experience on a platform that enjoy watching. That's just my feeling on it tho.

you can get adblocks for free

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wasn’t kidding about government subsidies for youtube premium. it would be totally justifiable if congress decided to pony up for this

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

give money to google only if you think that the billionaires are too poor

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vegetable posted:

I wasn’t kidding about government subsidies for youtube premium. it would be totally justifiable if congress decided to pony up for this

I agree. I think people underestimate the cultural importance and utility of Youtube.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

Oh, also, make sure before you leave you visit the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. It's in Tahir Square.

It's so nice I wanted to live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if i see an ad exec out on tha street ima slap the poo poo out that bitch no cap!